View Full Version : RE: Wireless Routers

firefighterjake
10-12-2010, 11:14 AM
I'm thinking of getting a wireless router for set up at my house to a) allow my wife and I to watch movies and shows through the Wii from Netflix, Hulu, CBS, etc. and b) to be able to set up an outdoor movie theatre for next year's campers at Camp Jakeawana (Bgrffdave came up with that idea).

Any idea on what is good . . . or not good . . . for wi-fi routers?

brdad
10-12-2010, 01:08 PM
We have two Netgear WPN824 wireless routers in our house, the oldest of which is 3 or 4 years old. Previously we had a different model Netgear router which got bit by lightning. Other than that we have had no issues with these units and we use them for our PDAs, laptops, shared wireless printer, and the Wii.

I can't say if there is better as I have never had anything else, all I know as these have worked great for me.

hollora
10-12-2010, 01:38 PM
The guru with the suggestion has one at his house and set up one at mine. If he isn't to busy with construction - check with him too.

masterson of the universe
10-12-2010, 01:40 PM
I haven't had good luck with the configuration of Belkin routers but haven't had a single issue with my Netgear. I think it has less to do with the router itself than it does with the machine its connected to. When I was using the Belkin, I didnt actually have it connected to a pc, it was just set up right at the jack and wasnt secure. I had the same set up Netgear and no issues. I have heard that the range is better with Netgear.

Fins_Up
10-12-2010, 01:53 PM
I have a Linksys router and have had it for 4 or 5 years. No issues with it at all. It is parked in my basement and we pick up the signal on the first and second floors without a problem.

WhereRWe?
10-12-2010, 03:36 PM
Along the same lines... Anyone have one of these routers hooked up to a wireless DSL modem? The signal strength on my DSL modem isn't that great, and I'd like to connect it to something with more range, but I'm not sure how to disable the wireless modem.

masterson of the universe
10-12-2010, 03:52 PM
Bruce, some local providers actually probhibit this without paying for wireless capability. How, I don't know. I didn't realize you can restrict the connection. My parents live down in Bristol and have Tidewater Telcom. The modem they were given only allows for a direct connection from the phone jack to the modem to the PC. Anything else in line to the PC somehow stops them from running wireless without paying extra. I think this is crazy but somehow they can stop it. I've tried with two different routers and a bunch of different software options and can't make it work. They called to find out why and were told they dont pay for the wireless service so they wouldnt be able to put any other devices in the line to the pc itself. I think they do this to combat those that dont want home phone but still want the wireless highspeed. Trying to get every bit of access they can out of people.

WhereRWe?
10-12-2010, 04:28 PM
Bruce, some local providers actually probhibit this without paying for wireless capability.

But I do pay extra for the Wireless modem. A wired modem (to which I could attach a wireless router) is free from my provider (TDS Telecom). I have 4 network jacks on the back of the wireless modem, so I know I could run wires to my computer if we didn't have wireless adapters in our computers. I just want to replace the wireless capability of the DSL modem with something better.

(Just to clarify - the DSL modem is wired to my phone lines. It doesn't RECEIVE wireless signals, it just transmits them within my house.)

cano
10-12-2010, 04:45 PM
But I do pay extra for the Wireless modem. A wired modem (to which I could attach a wireless router) is free from my provider (TDS Telecom). I have 4 network jacks on the back of the wireless modem, so I know I could run wires to my computer if we didn't have wireless adapters in our computers. I just want to replace the wireless capability of the DSL modem with something better.

(Just to clarify - the DSL modem is wired to my phone lines. It doesn't RECEIVE wireless signals, it just transmits them within my house.)

Buy wireless router, connect its wan port to the modem and you are all set. If you don't know how to disable wireless on you modem then don't.

cano
10-12-2010, 04:52 PM
Buy Linksys wrt54gl
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WRT54GL#WRT54GL

then install ddwrt on it
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DD-WRT

and then you can configure it how ever you want, sky is your limit.

cano
10-12-2010, 04:59 PM
Bruce, some local providers actually probhibit this without paying for wireless capability. How, I don't know. I didn't realize you can restrict the connection. My parents live down in Bristol and have Tidewater Telcom. The modem they were given only allows for a direct connection from the phone jack to the modem to the PC. Anything else in line to the PC somehow stops them from running wireless without paying extra. I think this is crazy but somehow they can stop it. I've tried with two different routers and a bunch of different software options and can't make it work. They called to find out why and were told they dont pay for the wireless service so they wouldnt be able to put any other devices in the line to the pc itself. I think they do this to combat those that dont want home phone but still want the wireless highspeed. Trying to get every bit of access they can out of people.

I'm not sure what your parents have, but there is really no way how can they limit it your connection just for one PC. If it's locked on mac address then set that mac address on your router.

brdad
10-12-2010, 05:44 PM
My sister-in-law has cable internet, and we had to do just what Cano suggested. I set up internet on the PC, then connected the router between and changed the mac address of the router to match that of the PC so the cable modem thinks it is still connected to the PC.

WhereRWe?
10-12-2010, 05:51 PM
My sister-in-law has cable internet, and we had to do just what Cano suggested. I set up internet on the PC, then connected the router between and changed the mac address of the router to match that of the PC so the cable modem thinks it is still connected to the PC.

Well, I went to eBay and put in a bid on the router Cano suggested.

pm28570
10-13-2010, 08:23 AM
If it's locked on mac address then set that mac address on your router.
What is a mac address, Michal?

Sudonim
10-13-2010, 10:35 AM

A "Media Access Control" address is like a digital serial number for a network interface. They are programmed into the device by the manufacturer to ID that device in a network.

cano
10-13-2010, 11:33 AM
it's a serial number of a network device

you can get it by typing ipconfig -all in command line, you should see something like Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-24-E8-1A-2B-3C

if your router supports mac cloning, enter that number there.

umop3plsdn
10-13-2010, 11:48 AM
DD-WRT is amazing I swear by it. I have tried out several other open firmwares like tomato and that does pretty well too.

umop3plsdn
10-13-2010, 11:49 AM
If you need help flashing your wireless router PM me btw

Ekidokai
10-13-2010, 07:04 PM
I'd wait to flash the thing after you get it and a web cam hooked up.

WhereRWe?
10-13-2010, 07:25 PM
I'd wait to flash the thing after you get it and a web cam hooked up.

Sheesh! I'll bet the pictures from your webcam would be interesting!

:eek::eek:

(But I won the bid on the router - It will be interesting to see if it's better than what I have now...)

Mapachi
10-14-2010, 09:40 AM
The router I got is too big!! I have people in their cars, with lap tops open, siting in my driveway and out in front of my house. I think all my neighbors are using it too!!

Ekidokai
10-14-2010, 05:39 PM
Time to go streaking.