View Full Version : Revisting Some things you can't unsee

Fins_Up
10-14-2010, 02:59 PM
Some of you will remember my recent post about a bad experience while looking for a cache in Portland. I wrote a respectful note on the cache log and it stayed there until today when the CO deleted it. I felt the need to post the note there to protect families from going to that area. I cache with my two young sons most of the time and I would not want them to go there. I have followed up with an email to the CO today but I doubt they share the same opinion as me. I would not want a negative post on my cache log or one that may cause folks not to look for my cache but I have never deleted a log. If I disagreed I would follow-up with a note to the person or perhaps a note on the cache log if I found the area to be safe. I guess the bottom line for me is if someone told me this happened at one of my cache sites I would archive the cache.

brdad
10-14-2010, 03:15 PM
This is probably easier for me to say now since my son is an adult (well, legal-aged), but if you posted that to my cache page I probably would not immediately archive the cache. But I would not delete your log, either.

I'd probably more likely see if I could verify this is an ongoing thing at the site, and pay even closer attention to future logs and perhaps even ask some previous hiders. But it should definitely warn of the possibility on the cache page IMO.

I've heard of odd things occurring near my Old470 cache and have seen evidence of such. Fortunately, it goes away for a while until someone else shows up. I just have to keep a closer eye on it than my other caches.

dubord207
10-14-2010, 05:26 PM
I can't imagine Jason logging anything that a CO could find offensive and a warning like that should be taken to heart by a responsible CO. I didn't like it when I received word of pot being hidden in one of my caches but decided to archive it rather than have folks think I would condone that type of thing at one of my caches. I'd do what Brad did yesterday and just re-log "found." Nothing else is warranted when a CO acts like that. Which cache was it by the way so we don't do it with our grandchildren? You can PM me if you prefer not to say.

Fins_Up
10-14-2010, 05:50 PM
It was along the Clarks Pond Trail by the Home Depot in Portland. The particular cache I logged this on was GC1WCF3 .

cano
10-14-2010, 07:50 PM
There is an attribute not kids friendly, proper use should solve the problem. I have this attribute on one of my caches :)

brdad
10-14-2010, 08:02 PM
There is an attribute not kids friendly, proper use should solve the problem. I have this attribute on one of my caches :)

That is a great point, except that most people think of physical dangers (cliffs and the like) when they see that it's not kid friendly. I think it's still be good to explain why it was not kid friendly for that reason.

team barbieri
10-14-2010, 08:16 PM
Some of you will remember my recent post about a bad experience while looking for a cache in Portland. I wrote a respectful note on the cache log and it stayed there until today when the CO deleted it. I felt the need to post the note there to protect families from going to that area. I cache with my two young sons most of the time and I would not want them to go there. I have followed up with an email to the CO today but I doubt they share the same opinion as me. I would not want a negative post on my cache log or one that may cause folks not to look for my cache but I have never deleted a log. If I disagreed I would follow-up with a note to the person or perhaps a note on the cache log if I found the area to be safe. I guess the bottom line for me is if someone told me this happened at one of my cache sites I would archive the cache.

I have not done this cache yet but I have walked the trail. I have not seen any of this activity on this trail but I do understand your concern. How ever this could happen on any cache location that is not out in the open so maybe you should stick to parking lot LPC and GRC caches or you run the risk of seeing that again.

Fins_Up
10-14-2010, 08:52 PM
I totally disagree. It is the urban setting of this one that leads to the trail that is the issue. I have never had a problem on the caches in central Maine. I have done hundreds of caches on trails and this is the only one I had an issue with. The reason I feel it was probably not isolated was the types of people hanging around the area. LPC and GRC are my least favorite types of caches. I would not have stuck with the hobby if it were not for caches on nice trails.

dubord207
10-15-2010, 06:34 AM
I've had two "encounters" of this type, both in Vaughn Woods in Hallowell. There's a school that abuts the southern trail head. These were high school kids. I mentioned this casually in my logs and they were not deleted. I think a log of this nature advises future cachers that they have a choice as to whether they want to do a cache where this could happen again. With as many caches as there are in the Portland area, some might opt to pass that cache. Jason didn't suggest that the cache needed to be archived, just what he specifically witnessed which shouldn't have resulted in a log deletion, IMHO.

Stick to GRC's? Really? NOT!

Fins_Up
10-15-2010, 06:54 AM
Dan is correct. I mentioned what happened and suggested that you may want to avoid this if you have children with you. The cache description actually says there are toys for the kids in the cache which would encourage you to bring your children to this area.

team barbieri
10-15-2010, 05:43 PM
You talk like this happens all the time there when you saw it once. I am sure it has happend in the woods in your area as well as it could happen anywhere. That was my point about sticking to LPC's or GRC's, but now that i think about that those are probably not safe either, just look at some of the rest area's that were closed down for those reasons. As far as deleting your log for it they should have at least emailed you about your concern and maybe you should have done the same and sent him an email with your concerns as well. Being so concerned about this did you report the activity to the local authorities, or post comments about it on South portlands land trust web page? I agree with you that it is not something I would want anyone to stumble across, but you take that chance anywhere you go, not just clarks pond trail where you saw it one time.

Fins_Up
10-15-2010, 08:26 PM
I think we will have to agree to disagree on this one.

team barbieri
10-15-2010, 08:56 PM
I think we will have to agree to disagree on this one.

I disagree because I do agree with you, Thats something you cant unsee and something I dont want to see:eek: no hard feelings just different opinions:D

Mapachi
10-15-2010, 10:00 PM
I have come across "friendly fellas" while retrieving caches before. I just put in the log "Don't bring the kiddies, this is a Pickle Park!"

Fins_Up
10-15-2010, 10:46 PM
Definitely no hard feelings. The world would not be any fun if everyone shared the same opinions.

EvilHomer
10-16-2010, 12:17 AM
I have come across "friendly fellas" while retrieving caches before. I just put in the log "Don't bring the kiddies, this is a Pickle Park!"

Ohhhhhh now I see. If this is a problem in this area then I would report it to Mainepublisher and suggest archiving. If I knew something like this was going on by one of my caches I would remove it. ASAP! and I would hope others would too, not delete the persons log that was trying to warn people. People placing caches in dangerous areas, or "questionable" areas like this need to use some common sense. ESPECIALLY if your MARKETING your cache to kids. There are some irresponsible caches out there and I feel if you can reasonably articulate this to Mainepublisher then the cache should be archived.

fins2right
10-16-2010, 10:51 AM
I've had two "encounters" of this type, both in Vaughn Woods in Hallowell. There's a school that abuts the southern trail head. These were high school kids. I mentioned this casually in my logs and they were not deleted. I think a log of this nature advises future cachers that they have a choice as to whether they want to do a cache where this could happen again. With as many caches as there are in the Portland area, some might opt to pass that cache. Jason didn't suggest that the cache needed to be archived, just what he specifically witnessed which shouldn't have resulted in a log deletion, IMHO.

Stick to GRC's? Really? NOT!

High School kids would do this type of thing?:confused: Thank goodness we were so much better behaved. :D:D Seriously though, I would not want my kids to encounter such a thing, and I hear stories about it all the time.

fins2right
10-16-2010, 10:52 AM
Ohhhhhh now I see. If this is a problem in this area then I would report it to Mainepublisher and suggest archiving. If I knew something like this was going on by one of my caches I would remove it. ASAP! and I would hope others would too, not delete the persons log that was trying to warn people. People placing caches in dangerous areas, or "questionable" areas like this need to use some common sense. ESPECIALLY if your MARKETING your cache to kids. There are some irresponsible caches out there and I feel if you can reasonably articulate this to Mainepublisher then the cache should be archived.

I took you that long?:eek: Sheltered life at the University? :rolleyes:

Ekidokai
10-16-2010, 09:24 PM
Are we all looking at this from the correct angle?

Mapachi
10-17-2010, 12:10 AM
Ugly, whichever angle you look from!

JustKev
10-17-2010, 05:52 AM
I think we should all go do this cache, frequently. Disturb their area enough and maybe they'll get a room in one of the nearby hotels.

Ekidokai
10-18-2010, 03:33 PM
Everyone seems to be focusing on the cache and it's attributes and status.

Has anyone contacted the local law enforcement? If this is a common occurrence, has anybody filmed the perpetrators and sent that to the cops?

If people are so concerned by this, lets get it fixed.

cano
10-18-2010, 04:35 PM
I think we should all go do this cache, frequently. Disturb their area enough and maybe they'll get a room in one of the nearby hotels.

I went there and didn't see anything, how disappointing.

JFamilySebec
10-24-2010, 07:40 PM
I went there and didn't see anything, how disappointing.

LOL! So sorry you missed the pickle picking in the park! :D