View Full Version : Sad News

dubord207
10-18-2010, 04:45 PM
Patrick (mapachi) and Gail lost their daughter Bobbi last night. Bobbi had been having headaches that were thought to be related to an ear infection. She spent the weekend with mom and dad, had persistent headaches but felt she was well enough to avoid a trip to the ER. She apparently died in her sleep. She was 38.

Funeral arrangements will likely be announced Wednesday.

Di and I had the pleasure of caching with Bobbi the Bold, aka Purple Passion for the Rally. She was a hoot with her dad's wit and sense of humor. She climbed the rock wall like a 12 year old. We had one cache in the Pettingill Trail in Freeport where we thought we'd lost her...nope, she took a beeline to the cache and bushwacked it!

Sorry to bring this news to the caching community but we all know just how fragile life can be. Please remember Pat and Gail in your thoughts and prayers.

Ekidokai
10-18-2010, 05:00 PM
That is terrible. I feel so bad when things like this happen out of the blue. My sincere sympathy to you both.

hollora
10-18-2010, 05:14 PM
Life is but the present moment. I never met Bobbi, but I have always considered her parents wonderful friends, from the day I first met them. My heart reaches out to all at this difficult time.

Words can not take away the heartache, there are no answers to why. But Bobbie is surely in a better place, she will smile down on us from the sky!

shuman road searchers
10-18-2010, 05:30 PM
Pat and Gail, I wish you our deepest sympathies. You two have been good friends and you will be in our thoughts and prayers.

dblbogey
10-18-2010, 05:32 PM
Patrick has been one of my caching buddies since I started this great hobby. I never had the pleasure to meet Bobbi but if she was anything like her folks, she had to be a winner. All my sympathy to Patrick and Gail.

vicbiker
10-18-2010, 05:44 PM
Cheryl and I are so sorry to hear of your loss and if we can be of any assistance, please let us know. Caching in heaven must be awesome.

Opalsns
10-18-2010, 05:46 PM
Patrick and Gail,
Our Depest Sympathies to You.
Your In our Prayers.

brdad
10-18-2010, 05:50 PM
So sorry to hear of your loss. You are in Lee and my thoughts through this tough time.

JustKev
10-18-2010, 05:56 PM
Pam and I would like to be among those offering our deepest sympathies, Patrick and Gail. There are no words to express the sorrow we feel for you with the loss you have suffered. May God bless you in your days to come.

Team2hunt
10-18-2010, 05:58 PM
and will keep you in my prayers.

Cache Maine
10-18-2010, 06:33 PM
We are sorry to hear this sad news. Our thoughts are with the family during this difficult time. If there is anything we can do, please ask. We are here for you.

Davidson 7
10-18-2010, 06:39 PM
Pat and Gail, Dana and I are so sorry to hear of your loss. We will keep you close in our prayers.

Kaching Karen
10-18-2010, 06:45 PM
There are words that can express our sympathy. Our fellow geocachers have said them with heart and sole. Jon and I will be thinking of you at this time.

WhereRWe?
10-18-2010, 07:08 PM
Sheesh. Very sorry to hear of your loss. Just about the age of our kids, so I can imagine your pain...

eebee
10-18-2010, 07:35 PM
Pat and Gail, I am so saddened to hear of your loss. I had the pleasure of seeing Bobbi in action at the georallye recently. Certainly a beautiful person, full of life. Please know you are in my prayers and will be for the days to come.

pjpreb
10-18-2010, 08:01 PM
Our hearts are breaking for you on your devastating loss. Our deepest sympathy to you and your family

Waterski
10-18-2010, 08:01 PM
Pat and Gail, Please know that Barry and I will be thinking of you both as you go through such a difficult and unexpected time, and wishing you both some peace as you come to terms with this. So sorry to hear of your loss.

becket
10-18-2010, 08:05 PM
pat, you told me yesterday when i spoke to you that you were cutting your caching day short to head home to be with bobbi, because she wasn't feeling well. i never met bobbi, and have yet to meet you and gail, but want you to know that you are all in my thoughts.

fins2right
10-18-2010, 08:13 PM
We are all very sorry for your loss and will keep you in our thoughts.

Sabby
10-18-2010, 08:15 PM
Pat and Gail.
I am saddened to hear of your loss. I know the pain one goes through when a child dies and want you to know that I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

TeamHorwich
10-18-2010, 08:51 PM
unbelievable...I am so sorry...please remember all the good times...http://www.geocachingmaine.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=536&stc=1&d=1287449422http://picasaweb.google.com/JHorwich/GeoRally2010?authkey=Gv1sRgCPCz3YbmuYD9zAE#5526199 718497978706

Fins_Up
10-18-2010, 09:00 PM
Patrick and Gail, I am deeply saddened by the news of your loss. You are in my thoughts and prayers.

ltlindian
10-18-2010, 09:02 PM
I am so sad to hear this. I didn't know her but what an tragic thing to happen at such a young age. Each day I am reminded how precious life is and how little time we have. My thoughts are with you.

team barbieri
10-18-2010, 09:42 PM
We are so sorry to hear of your loss. Your family is in our thoughts and prayers. Try to hold on to the good times and the memories.

dufzor
10-18-2010, 10:07 PM
Patrick and Gail, Thinking of you with caring thoughts at this most difficult time. So very sorry. Sue

NativeMainer
10-18-2010, 10:32 PM
I've never met you folks, but I'd like to express my condolences as well. I imagine losing a child, no matter what the age, is painful.

cachecrashers4
10-18-2010, 10:44 PM
My condolences to Pat and Gail. Our thoughts are with you. Be strong!

EMSDanel
10-18-2010, 11:09 PM
To Patrick and Gail.....

What a change in your lives, from one day to the next. If each of us has a guardian angel, then please know that all of the guardian angels from each of your geocaching friends are hovering around Mapachi and Shotgun tonight. We love you both.

CARoperPhotography
10-19-2010, 01:19 AM
Only knew Bobbie briefly, however I am envious to everyone who knew her for her full 38 years!

My heart is with you Pat an Gail....

tat
10-19-2010, 06:46 AM
Patrick and Gail, my thoughts and prayers are with you.

kayaking loon
10-19-2010, 07:36 AM
Pat and Gail, we are so very, very sorry to hear of your loss. It's hard to know what to say. May time and good memories heal your hearts.

firefighterjake
10-19-2010, 07:40 AM
Very sad to hear . . . reminder of how life is never certain . . . so fragile . . . and yet also a reminder of how important good friends are . . . Thinking of you Pat and Gail.

pm28570
10-19-2010, 08:25 AM
My....what does one say? Know that, Pat & Gail, that you are in my thoughts. It is so difficult, so hard, so wrong that this is the center of next days however it's so right that Bobbi shared her parents zest for life, so right that her humor was the spitting image of her Dad, so right that the Mapachi "Apple" did not fall far.

team moxiepup
10-19-2010, 12:31 PM
We are so, so saddened to hear of your loss. Please know that our thoughts are with you during this painful time. She left you with many great memories to treasure and comfort you.

we3beans
10-19-2010, 03:14 PM
how terribly sad. Our thoughts are with you.

JustKev
10-19-2010, 03:54 PM
Anyone who never met Bobbie, like Pam and I never did, might want to take a minute or two and look at Mapachi's G.R.C., http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=c992c6d3-b4ca-4523-9a60-999282280086&log=y&decrypt= (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=c992c6d3-b4ca-4523-9a60-999282280086&log=y&decrypt=) , and read the May 22, 2010 entry. Even though we never met her, we got the distinct impression from that log alone that she was really a special person. Anyone that would call Mapachi a "tricky b@st@rd" had to be just as full of fun and life as he is.

I think Pat and Gail can be rightfully proud to say that she was their daughter.

Trick or Treat
10-19-2010, 07:58 PM
I was shocked and saddened to hear the news about Bobbie. I hope that the support of your friends and family will help you through the days ahead.

surfacewarrior
10-19-2010, 08:17 PM
Pat and Gail, We have not met, but Heidi and I send our deepest sympathy and Prayers to you during your time of loss.

iampaw
10-19-2010, 08:28 PM
So sorry for your loss. Thinking of you and your family at this difficult time.

benandtina
10-20-2010, 02:42 AM
I am so sorry for your lost. Deepest condolences from Ben and me, we are thinking of you.

dubord207
10-20-2010, 04:23 PM
I just spoke with Pat and he asked that I tell everybody that he's read all your kind thoughts and he'll thank everybody in his own words sometime after Saturday's service. He and Gail are doing "ok" and rest assured that he's read all of your posts and eventually will respond personally. The obit is in the KJ and lacking some of the techno skills that a lot of you have, I can't post a link to it. The service will be at the Plummer Funeral home in Augusta Saturday at 11:00 am with a reception to follow at the Calumet Club. Unfortunately, Di and I will be out of state and can't attend but I'm sure there will be a few good cachers that will attend and offer their support for Pat, Gail and the rest of the family.

brdad
10-20-2010, 04:34 PM
Obituary Link: Roberta P. "Bobbie" McGuire (http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/mainetoday-kennebecjournal/obituary.aspx?n=roberta-p-mcguire-bobbie&pid=146122071)

dubord207
10-20-2010, 06:37 PM
Dave, what's your hourly rate for tutoring old guys like me on what should be basic skills I obviously lack? Thanks for the link.

Obituary Link: Roberta P. "Bobbie" McGuire (http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/mainetoday-kennebecjournal/obituary.aspx?n=roberta-p-mcguire-bobbie&pid=146122071)

hollora
10-20-2010, 06:39 PM
Dave, what's your hourly rate for tutoring old guys like me on what should be basic skills I obviously lack? Thanks for the link.

My rate is a Bloody Mary or two! ;) What was that you wanted to learn to do???;)

WhereRWe?
10-20-2010, 06:54 PM
My rate is a Bloody Mary or two! ;)

Sheesh! No beer? :eek::eek:

brdad
10-20-2010, 07:25 PM

These are tough times so I have reduced rates!
Catch me at an event sometime, we'll get you set up!

http://bytethebullet.com/geocaching/fora/geocacher_help%20%28Custom%29.jpg

shuman road searchers
10-20-2010, 07:47 PM
I have gone to his house and showed him and he still does not get it. I am not sure he is teachable!

hollora
10-20-2010, 07:55 PM
I have gone to his house and showed him and he still does not get it. I am not sure he is teachable!

LOL but was the pay good???;)

CARoperPhotography
10-20-2010, 08:19 PM
Unfortunately I will be unable to make it to the Memorial Service on Saturday. I cannot take off another Saturday right now, especially after having it off two weekends ago for the Rally.....

I had actually taken Friday off this week though with the thought in mind that if there was a Memorial service on Friday I would be able to make it. I think I shall be going caching now on Friday. Hmmmm, maybe to the Car Series in Liberty, ME? Only sounds fitting..... and of course, Marcipanek and I MUST hit the GRC cache of Mapachi's now....!

Take care Pat!

Mainiac1957
10-21-2010, 05:25 AM
After just meeting Bobbie at the rally two weeks ago I was saddened by the news of your loss. As a parent and step-parent of 5 children I can not possibly imagine what emotions you must be feeling. The highest level of sympathy goes out to both of you from Kathie and myself.

TRF
10-21-2010, 09:14 AM
I was extremely saddened to hear of this tragedy. I wish I had words to help Mapachi and family with the pain they must be going through. Our thoughts and sympathies are with you folks.

79olds
10-23-2010, 10:15 AM
Our sincere thoughts are with you for you loss. She will be greatly miss by all the lives she touched. If it wasn't for her our travel bug would not have traveled as far as it has. 79OLDS

Mapachi
10-27-2010, 11:56 AM
As you all can imagine, we feel like we've been hit by a truck. I have just now started to sleep more then 4 hours a night, although not good sleep, as I have contracted a horrible cold! Worse cold I've had in fifteen years! Unfortunately, I started to feel it coming on a day before the services on Saturday! I hope I didn't pass it to any one.
We have found out from the Medical examiner, that Bobbie had a small tangerine size tumor on her brain, just behind her ear. She had no idea and was never in constant pain. She simply thought she was having migraines every month or so. So she had no apprehension or fear of the future. She was on an extreme upswing in her life. She was back home, got a new job, her own place and was loosing weight and getting physically in shape. She was on a high note when she passed. We found out there was nothing we could have done that horrible night, that would have saved her, so the guilt was washed away and we have only loving memories and no guilt of things we should have said or done because we said and did it all with Bobbie .....We were as close as a grown daughter and her parents could be.
When Gail and I started Geocaching back in December of 2007, we had no idea we were becoming a part of something much larger then just Geocaching. In this heart wrenching episode of our lives, we have come to find ourselves part of a loving and truly caring group of FRIENDS! Not just acquaintances, like I perceived most of you to be, but true friends! Your outpouring of love towards us truly stunned us!
So many kind and loving words to Gail and Me and such wonderful praise for our sweet baby girl Bobbie.
Bobbie loved everyone and I am sure she feels the love from all of you just as her mommy and daddy do.
Gail and I send all our love back at you! Such a wonderful thing to discover in the midst of tragedy, that we had so many wonderful friends that truly care for us!
I wish I could thank all of you personally but it would take me forever. I would, however like to thank Jim Horwitz, Dave Gallant, Tom Tieman, and Dan Bahr for coming to Bobbie's service on Saturday; it was so nice of you guys and we so appreciated it. Some of you also sent us cards and special notes of love and support. Thanks to them and thanks to all of you here at Geocaching Maine....Our extended family! WE LOVE YOU ALL.
See you on the geo-trail! (With Bobbie's "Mr. Cache")

brdad
10-27-2010, 12:46 PM
Glad to see you are moving forward, I am sure she will always be part of your life. In 2004 my son had an AVM (Arterio-Venous Malformation) which burst with no prior knowledge so I can relate with you on that issue. He survived and is doing well, but it is an abrupt change of life and priorities for everyone involved.

Good thoughts for your family's future.

dufzor
10-27-2010, 04:14 PM
Still keeping you both in my thoughts daily. Glad to see you online and hope your cold is gone soon!

hollora
10-27-2010, 08:15 PM
Thank you for sharing your beautiful thoughts. Hope to see you soon.

RubiconJW
10-27-2010, 08:38 PM
All our best thoughts & prayers are with you.. Sometimes life hands you a tough road to follow but with the help of God, family & friends we seem to keep going...
We wish you all the very best.
JW & Ms. Kathy

Waterski
10-27-2010, 10:18 PM
Thank you so much Pat and Gail for taking the time to fill us in on how things are going with you and the details of Bobbye's health. I have been thinking of you and hoping for an update on how you both are doing. You have done so much for us with your commitment to geocaching. Reading some of Bobbye's posts and seeing that her first cache only days after christmas made me think that dear old dad probably got her started with her first gps. Postings really do tell so much about someone's personality I think. What nice memories were made during geocaching for your daughter. Peace be with you. Let the love from all of your friends here help you along.

EvilHomer
10-30-2010, 01:11 AM
:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

ampmdp
11-06-2010, 06:33 PM
I just discovered this thread. I can't imagine what you must be going through. Please know we're keeping you in our prayers.

Mike, Amy, and Rosemary
ampmdp