View Full Version : Pocket Queries

attroll
10-23-2010, 08:05 PM
Its been a while since I have played with the Pocket Queries. My question is if I build a query and "Run this query once then delete it". How long should it be before it shows up in my email?

brdad
10-23-2010, 08:19 PM
Most of my queries come within 5 minutes, usually less than a minute. That should be the case whether you opt to have it deleted or not.

attroll
10-23-2010, 08:23 PM
Hmmm, it has been 20 minutes not. I will go do it again.

brdad
10-23-2010, 08:25 PM
Catch me in chat if you till have troubles... Can't be much wrong.

pm28570
10-23-2010, 09:07 PM
Hmmm, it has been 20 minutes not. I will go do it again.
It goes into a queue, so depending on the volume will impact how quickly it appears. Usually well within 20 minutes however. No one would know better than Brdad on PQ's though.

brdad
10-23-2010, 09:20 PM
We got him fixed up, just one check mark missing! He found it just as I was asking.

I tried a test one and it took about 45 seconds. ;)

masterson of the universe
10-23-2010, 09:45 PM
I let my premium membership expire in August as I haven't had a heck of a lot of time to cache but I thought the PQ's didnt actually end up in emails anymore. Doesn't the email just tell you when the download is ready for you to pull off the site or did that change again?

brdad
10-24-2010, 07:20 AM
If there are less than 500 caches in the PQ, it will come via email; 500 and over you just get a link. It's kind of a weird way to do it, but gc.com is working on improving it, like giving GSAK and other approved apps the ability to get them directly from gc.com.

Checking your email is an easy way to determine if the PQ has been generated, but it is more effective to check on the PQ page where it gives the actual time it was generated (or "never".) Sometimes the delay or other issue is in the email itself and that bypasses that possibility.

TeamHorwich
10-24-2010, 08:26 AM
DeLorme's Topo 9 also syncs your PQ's directly from GC.com...

brdad
10-24-2010, 08:37 AM
DeLorme's Topo 9 also syncs your PQ's directly from GC.com...

But Topo does not connect to the gc.com servers and download the PQ all by itself yet does it? That is the functionality gc.com is supposed to be allowing GSAK to implement soon, and I assume Topo as well. Right now we have to download the PQ, and GSAK/Topo will import that directly.

Waterski
10-24-2010, 11:14 AM
We aren't able to do a pq with more than 500 into gsak are we? I noticed you mentioned more, and wondered what the story is on that.

brdad
10-24-2010, 11:18 AM
We aren't able to do a pq with more than 500 into gsak are we? I noticed you mentioned more, and wondered what the story is on that.

Yes, you can get PQs with up to 1000 caches now. The only difference is at this point in time, when you get your PQ notification email, if the PQ has less then 500 caches in it,the file will be included in your email. If it has more, you will only get a link to the PQ download page on gc.com.

All of the PQs are available on the download page, regardless of how many caches are in them.

http://www.geocachingmaine.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=542&stc=1&d=1287933950

TeamHorwich
10-24-2010, 11:27 AM
yes, it does connect...that is one of the new features in Topo 9...

http://support.delorme.com/WebHelp/topo9/delorme_help/geocaching_features/managing_pocket_queries.htm
Update Pocket Queries
You must be logged in (http://support.delorme.com/WebHelp/topo9/delorme_help/geocaching_features/geocaching_menu.htm#login) through Topo North America to update a pocket query.
On the Map Files tab, click Geocaching and then click Update. The Geocaching Pocket Queries list in the map files list updates.
Auto-update Pocket Queries
If you want pocket queries to automatically update, click Auto Update on the Geocaching menu to select the check box. As long as you are logged in (http://support.delorme.com/WebHelp/topo9/delorme_help/geocaching_features/geocaching_menu.htm#login), pocket queries will update automatically when you open Topo North America.

But Topo does not connect to the gc.com servers and download the PQ all by itself yet does it? That is the functionality gc.com is supposed to be allowing GSAK to implement soon, and I assume Topo as well. Right now we have to download the PQ, and GSAK/Topo will import that directly.

brdad
10-24-2010, 11:41 AM

Very cool, maybe GSAK is not far behind!

WhereRWe?
10-24-2010, 01:08 PM

Can you do this with Delorme's Street Atlas USA? :confused::confused:

Haffy
10-24-2010, 06:38 PM
Can you do this with Delorme's Street Atlas USA? :confused::confused:

Hope so cause I just ordered it through Delorme. That would be really cool if it does but doing it through GSAK will work just as well too.

WhereRWe?
10-24-2010, 06:46 PM
Hope so cause I just ordered it through Delorme. That would be really cool if it does but doing it through GSAK will work just as well too.

I researched it today, and I don't think you can. It's why I asked.. :D:D

I don't have "Topo", so I can't compare. :o:o

And I agree about GSAK. Since I use GSAK to also add waypoints to my PDA and to the Garmin, exporting a file to Street Atlas only takes an additional few seconds.