View Full Version : using QR codes on geocoins and travell bugs

cano
10-26-2010, 11:31 AM
I would be great to have a QR code on geocoins and travel bugs that will bring you to the geocaching site to log the item. Imagine at the event, just scan the item, click log as discovered or what ever and done. No more writing down all codes. TBs already have some fake bar code or something on it. Why not QR codes.

http://www.ingwer.ch/geo/coins/10_years_of_geocaching_geocoin.html

I guess the guy who blurred the code didn't know QR codes support error correction when part of the code is destroyed, LOL.

brdad
10-26-2010, 11:39 AM
You just have QR codes on the brain lately!
I'd ask if you had a QR code tattoo, but I really don't want t know. :eek::eek::eek:

How small could you make a QR code and still have it able to be decoded by a phone without magnification?

cano
10-26-2010, 12:02 PM
You just have QR codes on the brain lately!
I'd ask if you had a QR code tattoo, but I really don't want t know. :eek::eek::eek:

How small could you make a QR code and still have it able to be decoded by a phone without magnification?

I like the idea of easy data access, QR code is just one instance how it could be done. It's universal, cheap and easy to implement. How small it could be depends on many factors like light conditions and of course camera quality in the cellphone. With fixed focus camera you might be able to read as small as 1 mm. I have focus camera on my cellphone and I can read QR code with 0.5 mm module size, maybe even smaller under good light conditions.

brdad
10-26-2010, 01:54 PM
So as far as coins are concerned, it would seem that the size limitation would be in the resolution capabilities of the coin die, which would probably be 3/4 inch minimum perhaps.

It seems at least one QR code pathtag has been made, so that must be about 3/4 inch.

http://www.pathtags.com/community/blueprints/12818/blueprint.jpg

cano
10-26-2010, 02:43 PM
So as far as coins are concerned, it would seem that the size limitation would be in the resolution capabilities of the coin die, which would probably be 3/4 inch minimum perhaps.

It seems at least one QR code pathtag has been made, so that must be about 3/4 inch.

http://www.pathtags.com/community/blueprints/12818/blueprint.jpg

you don't need to encode whole congress library into it :) 21 module size (the smallest possible) should be enough to encode URL, I use this size on my stickers. Also there is a micro QR code version
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2807353/microQR.gif
just 11 modules wide :)

brdad
10-26-2010, 03:57 PM
Well, lets ask the geocoin guy ;-)

Sudonim
10-26-2010, 04:09 PM
Cano, does the 11 module version have the same info, but lose redundancy, or just much less info than the 21 module version?
Also, you said you can manually decode this without a computer. I tried Googling that topic and can't find anything. Can you steer me to a site that describes the technique, sounds interesting!

cano
10-26-2010, 04:40 PM
Cano, does the 11 module version have the same info, but lose redundancy, or just much less info than the 21 module version?
Also, you said you can manually decode this without a computer. I tried Googling that topic and can't find anything. Can you steer me to a site that describes the technique, sounds interesting!

11 module can handle only 5 digit number with no error correction
13 module can handle 10 numeric or 6 alphanumeric characters with ECC (good for tracking number)

21 module version can handle 25 alphanumeric characters with low redundancy or 10 with high redundancy. Should be enough to encode URL

If you want specification, search for ISO/IEC18004

dubord207
10-26-2010, 04:49 PM
Shucks, Cano took those words right out of my mouth!;)

11 module can handle only 5 digit number with no error correction
13 module can handle 10 numeric or 6 alphanumeric characters with ECC (good for tracking number)

21 module version can handle 25 alphanumeric characters with low redundancy or 10 with high redundancy. Should be enough to encode URL

If you want specification, search for ISO/IEC18004

Haffy
10-26-2010, 05:37 PM
Still didn't see anything that describes how to manually read the codes. Am I missing something here?

WhereRWe?
10-26-2010, 06:22 PM
TBs already have some fake bar code or something on it.

Anyone know if the bar code on the TB tag has any real meaning? I'll bet Brdad - who lurks on the national geocaching chats - would know. Right? :D:D

masterson of the universe
10-26-2010, 06:52 PM
Interesting. My android's barcode scanner can read the regular size but not the micro size and I tried multiple scanners. I'd like to see what it manually takes to read these as well.

brdad
10-26-2010, 07:22 PM
Anyone know if the bar code on the TB tag has any real meaning? I'll bet Brdad - who lurks on the national geocaching chats - would know. Right? :D:D

As I recall, people tried to decode the TB bar code and it was revealed to say

"STOP WITH THE FREAKIN' LAME MICROS ALREADY!"

Ok, it was really revealed that is was not a authentic bar code at all, so it reads nothing.

Haffy
10-26-2010, 07:38 PM
I like your rendition better though...LOL

cano
10-26-2010, 08:37 PM
Interesting. My android's barcode scanner can read the regular size but not the micro size and I tried multiple scanners. I'd like to see what it manually takes to read these as well.

I can't decode the micro (damn micros) QR code either, tried 3 different readers, even ZXing (Zebra crossing) doesn't support it. Only what is left is do it manually, however the one I posted cannot be decoded, I just cut it from a bigger one :) so checksums will not match.

How QR codes are made.
Here is an article how to create a level 1 QR code. http://www.swetake.com/qr/qr1_en.html I guess micro QR will work the same way.

If you want to decode it, just do the same in reverse order. A large portion of the article is about error correcting codes and verification checksums. Little bit of math, but you don't need that, since you will be decoding a QR code that is not damaged.

team barbieri
10-26-2010, 09:39 PM
I would be great to have a QR code on geocoins and travel bugs that will bring you to the geocaching site to log the item. Imagine at the event, just scan the item, click log as discovered or what ever and done. No more writing down all codes. TBs already have some fake bar code or something on it. Why not QR codes.

http://www.ingwer.ch/geo/coins/10_years_of_geocaching_geocoin.html

I guess the guy who blurred the code didn't know QR codes support error correction when part of the code is destroyed, LOL.

I like the idea of a barcode or QR for travel bugs. It would make it a lot easier at events when there are so many to discover:D

team moxiepup
10-27-2010, 12:38 AM
I say embed the coin with a microchip like they have for animals, then maybe they won't get lost :D

Haffy
10-27-2010, 06:30 PM
I say embed the coin with a microchip like they have for animals, then maybe they won't get lost :D

You know, that's not out of the realm of a possibility.

pm28570
10-27-2010, 06:48 PM

....that's a great idea.

WhereRWe?
10-27-2010, 06:51 PM
You know, that's not out of the realm of a possibility.

Sheesh! I think we should imbed Haffy with a microchip... :D:D

Haffy
10-28-2010, 05:24 PM
Sheesh! I think we should imbed Haffy with a microchip... :D:D

Hey Bruce, you'd never be able to keep up up with me.....LOL

http://www.youtube.com/user/LAKELANIERGEAR#p/a/u/2/ahw2QV503m4

shuman road searchers
10-28-2010, 07:46 PM
I am not so sure about that. I can recall watching Bruce scamper up a tree for a cache!:D:p

WhereRWe?
10-28-2010, 08:07 PM
Hey Bruce, you'd never be able to keep up up with me.....LOL

http://www.youtube.com/user/LAKELANIERGEAR#p/a/u/2/ahw2QV503m4

Sheesh! Was that you in the video? I know there must be a weight limit, so that lets me off the 'hook". :o:o

WhereRWe?
10-28-2010, 08:08 PM
I am not so sure about that. I can recall watching Bruce scamper up a tree for a cache!:D:p

And I'm pretty sure that if you hadn't been with us on that trip, none of us would have logged that cache! LOL!

shuman road searchers
10-28-2010, 08:28 PM
And I'm pretty sure that if you hadn't been with us on that trip, none of us would have logged that cache! LOL!

I know that I had the only pen in the group but if you had not retrieved that cache.....:D:rolleyes::p;)