View Full Version : my first hunting season

surfacewarrior
10-31-2010, 06:00 PM
I do almost all of my geocaching so far in the woods and hiking trails. Would I be stupid to stop for the next month because of hunting season?:confused: I have had Non-geocachers tell me that as long as me and my geo-pooch wear orange we will be fine:), others have said that so many out of staters shoot at anything that moves I need to stay out of the woods for hunting season.:( maybe they just don't want me tromping through their hunting grounds and spooking the deer:rolleyes:.I only hear about 1 or 2 hunting accidents a year so I think my odds would be pretty good of not getting shot:rolleyes:. The thought of trying geocaching at night might be a different experiance also.

brdad
10-31-2010, 06:06 PM
My theory is that a high persentage of the people that would be dumb enough to shoot at an unknown target are probably the same that hunt out of season, on Sundays, and in areas off limit to hunting.

You should always be alert, you are never 100% safe even out of season. But I would not let that stop my caching in or out of season!

Wearing orange during hunting season at least helps the good, observant hunters make a better first opinion of what they see.

surfacewarrior
10-31-2010, 06:36 PM
thanks for the advice. that was about what i was thinking but wasn't really sure. My geo-pooch will be glad because he loves hiking in the woods.almost as much as I do.

WhereRWe?
10-31-2010, 07:00 PM
I do almost all of my geocaching so far in the woods and hiking trails. Would I be stupid to stop for the next month because of hunting season?

I don't think so.

I used to be an avid hunter but don't go out much these days. Hunters look for movement. If what they see is BRIGHT ORANGE, they're not going to shoot.

So, I advise - instead of just wearing a blaze orange hat - that you invest in a jacket or vest. The more color, the easier it is to see you.

As for your dog, a blaze orange wrap will never hurt, and make sure he/she stays right beside you - not running free.

:D:D

Mapachi
10-31-2010, 07:03 PM
Also, bring a big old fashioned Boom Box (antique I-Pod with speakers)...crank out some Dick Curliss music! For God's sake don't play any rap!! They will definitely shoot you!

surfacewarrior
10-31-2010, 07:30 PM
thanks for the reasurance guy's. another quick question , Who thought up the JOANI Nano? I found my first one today down in newington NH and who ever said "lets make them find a tube the size of a pencil eraser was a sick person. hahahaha I found it though.

pm28570
10-31-2010, 07:53 PM
Blaze orange and common sense go a long way.....

JustKev
10-31-2010, 07:56 PM
We came across some, dare I say it here, flatlanders on our travels on opening day...residents only day. They had absolutely no orange on themselves or their dog. The dog was loose and absolutely not under their control. It had generous amounts of white fur. If you've ever seen a Bernese Mountain Dog you'll see what we saw. They were on the roads in the area behind Sugarloaf. All logging company roads. They had just as much right to be there as I did. And, in my case, they were just as safe as they would have been in July. I don't shoot at a flash of white. Should they have taken steps to ensure they were seen as people with a pet. Probably. They only knew that hunting season starts November 1st. They had no clue that Residents Only Day was in full swing. We let them know it was, indeed, deer season and then wished them a good day and moved on. They were on a well travelled road and headed back to their vehicle.

EMSDanel
10-31-2010, 08:05 PM
In my humble experience, out-of-state tourists don't have much to worry about. There is not much meat/weight there once you dress them out - so for experienced hunters they're not worth the cost of your shell.

shuman road searchers
10-31-2010, 08:54 PM
In my humble experience, out-of-state tourists don't have much to worry about. There is not much meat/weight there once you dress them out - so for experienced hunters they're not worth the cost of your shell.

And the meat you get is a little tough and chewy:D:rolleyes:

dubord207
11-01-2010, 06:26 AM
Plus, they're hard to clean!:D

And the meat you get is a little tough and chewy:D:rolleyes:

Hiram357
11-01-2010, 02:44 PM
And don't forget to check the cache pages you intend to go after before you head out. Some get disabled during hunting season, and PQs don't always tell us that.

Ekidokai
11-01-2010, 03:16 PM
Working with the game wardens and forest rangers for years, there is a lot going on that people never hear about. Houses getting peppered with shot a lot. A house or barn is a lot bigger than a person, well most people. Vehicles getting peppered with shot also. Most of these instances were determined to be accidental rather than vandalism.

Things that will help to keep you safe besides the orange vest and hat:

Don't wear brown or black hats, gloves or pants, don't wear white fur trimmed gloves, hats or boots. whistling a happy tune, putting a bell or some other clanking thing on the dog will be good and if you don't want to whistle that much a small bell for you couldn't hurt either.

Oh and smoking cigars keeps the bugs away and the hunters don't report seeing many cigar smoking prey.

dubord207
11-01-2010, 04:03 PM
If you have a concealed weapons permit, and I do, then stuff your handy-dandy Taurus Raging Bull ( I didn't make that up ) .454 in your shoulder holster loaded up with some 330 grain Casull rounds, load your Oregon with a bunch of caches, orange hat and vest and you're good to go. If a deer accidently comes by then caching is done for the day!:D

JustKev
11-01-2010, 04:06 PM
If you're hunting you can carry concealed without a permit. However, I don't believe you can get in and out of the car and leave the handgun loaded unless you have a CWP.

Ekidokai
11-01-2010, 04:20 PM
If you have a concealed weapons permit, and I do, then stuff your handy-dandy Taurus Raging Bull ( I didn't make that up ) .454 in your shoulder holster loaded up with some 330 grain Casull rounds, load your Oregon with a bunch of caches, orange hat and vest and you're good to go. If a deer accidently comes by then caching is done for the day!:D

If you're hunting you can carry concealed without a permit. However, I don't believe you can get in and out of the car and leave the handgun loaded unless you have a CWP.

But that does not address the concern of getting hunted.

JustKev
11-01-2010, 04:41 PM
But that does not address the concern of getting hunted.

....but then, I don't smoke cigars. :eek:

pjpreb
11-07-2010, 09:14 PM

Hahaha!!! That made me laugh! Thanks for bringing light and humor to the forums! :D:)