View Full Version : Celebrate - 10 Years of Caching in Maine!

Kaching Karen
11-01-2010, 05:26 PM
It's posted! http://coord.info/GC2HKCJ

I have to confess. I've done it in a hurry and there is no time noted yet. In years gone by, we've gone from 2:00-6:00.

The adopter of the first cache in Maine, Kayakerinme is helping host this event. We're going to make it a good one with sponsors, t-shirts, games, and prizes. Oh yeah, and well, food!

Some people posted their intentions of being there even before I knew MainePublisher had it approved. Thanks! :):):):)

Kaching Karen
01-24-2011, 01:35 PM
Send me your pictures! Since we are celebrating 10 years, they can be old... (not like some of us) outdoorgurl222@yahoo.com

Have a "toast" ready for the pot-luck. We'll have them written on index cards and people can have fun trying to guess who wrote it.

Bring your GPS. We're going to have a "Closest to the Pin" contest. (Yeah, I stole this idea from Geowoodstock).

Kids cache will be a scavenger hunt.

People who have technical knowledge or need technical knowledge, bring your know-how and questions. We'll set up a table for you.

I did not order t-shirts. This thing kind of snuck up on me. I apologize.

I'll find a big box so you can put donations for the Christmas Cache in it.

The 79olds Store will be at attendance.

Coins, travel-bugs, etc. are welcomed at this event.

I can't wait to find out what people are cooking up for the pot luck!

79olds
01-24-2011, 05:44 PM
Hi karen, 79 olds here i would like to again thank you for hosting this event again this year, and allowing me to set up the j & e geostore . About the tee shirts i have made up some of my own designs to offer for sale at the event. And hopefully we can get a great turn out for your event and the xmas cache. I will also bring a big box to put the donation's in.

Mainiac1957
01-25-2011, 05:49 AM
Who is going down from the Bangor area on Sunday? Car pooling? Group caching? With the price of gas it only makes sense. If there are 10 or 12 or whatever going then it would be smart to pitch in some gas money to a friend or fellow cacher and share expenses. If you are coming from north of here the people could still meet at the park and ride. A good way to get to know someone better as well.

brdad
01-25-2011, 07:21 AM
We thought we were going but now is looks like we may be going to NH until Monday.

Sudonim
01-26-2011, 07:22 PM
I'm going, not sure if PedalChick is going with me or not. Brad, if you want to pool with me, let me know. (I don't want to ride down there in the back of your Jeep again, I'm still cold from the last trip!!!!). Depending on if Kim goes or not, I will have at least one more seat available too.

cano
01-26-2011, 07:36 PM
will have 3 seats available from Bangor :)

cachecrashers4
01-28-2011, 07:52 PM
Anyone know how we are set in the food department? Need soda? Desserts? Main dishes?

Kaching Karen
01-29-2011, 05:01 PM
Anyone know how we are set in the food department? Need soda? Desserts? Main dishes?

I haven't seen a lot of posts for drinks. I've got paper goods and utensils coming. I'm not too worried. I don't think we have ever starved. :)

Kaching Karen
01-29-2011, 05:02 PM
:pI'm doing a display (if time) of old signature items. If you have some, maybe you can join me!

:)We always seem to need power strips.

:DSend pictures if you have some (old ones welcomed).

:cool:Bring your GPS. There will be an accuracy test. :)

:eek:I did not do t-shirts, but I believe Olds69 has them at his store.

;)If you ordered coins from Barry, I believe he is bringing them to this event.

hollora
01-29-2011, 06:23 PM
Serving utensils - another thing which always seems to be needed. Have a huge box of sig items - not sure about it - may bring them. Will try to remember to bring an extra power strip. Sent some photos. Haven't loaded my GPSr since FL - we will see if I have time. Any idea on Olds60 shirt prices? Barry hopefully has my (our) check(s) and looking forward to it. See folks there!

cano
01-29-2011, 07:54 PM
I may bring projector, cords, internets, stuff ...

WhereRWe?
01-29-2011, 08:08 PM
I have a good, working TV - 27" screen? - that I want to give away. Works great - just that I won a new TV in a contest and I don't need this one. If anyone wants this, I'll bring it to the event tomorrow. Email me - or post a response here. (Note: We plan on being there at opening - 2:00 - and won;t stay for more than an hour or so. If someone wants it, they have to be there early). Thanks! :D:D

Ekidokai
01-29-2011, 11:12 PM
My TV is shot. I'm interested.

WhereRWe?
01-30-2011, 08:18 AM
My TV is shot. I'm interested.

Sorry Eki... Kaching Karen asked in a PM, and I said OK to her before I got to the forums. But if you're at the event today, perhaps she'll sell it to you. LOL!

brdad
01-30-2011, 08:26 AM
I am sad I'll be missing this event, we won't be passing back through Augusta until tomorrow.

However, it looks like we may make it to Tat's wedding at the W7 now! :D

masterson of the universe
01-30-2011, 01:00 PM
Been to the last three and disappointed that I wont make it to this one. The youngest has bronchitis and is still fevering a bit so travel wouldn't be much fun. Instead I'm just going to make the meatballs I normally make and will have to sit here and eat them myself.

Fins_Up
01-30-2011, 02:25 PM
We will be heading over soon with a special Geo Cake.

cano
01-30-2011, 03:57 PM
We will be heading over soon with a special Geo Cake.

That four piece cake is yours? Very smart idea :)

Fins_Up
01-30-2011, 07:41 PM
Thanks! Mrs. Fins_Up and my oldest son came up with the idea and actually made it this morning while I was out caching and snowshoeing with my youngest son.

Kaching Karen
01-30-2011, 09:28 PM
Thank you everyone for attending the event.... There were 111 people there if you go by the sign-n book Thanks to eebee it was an international event! Everyone else was from Maine. :)

Kayakerinme and hollara both provided beautiful prizes. It was a lovely touch for the event. Barry, the coins are great!

A huge THANK YOU goes out to tat and laroch who were there from 9:00 am to the end. They did a lot of work for me and I really, really appreciate it!

To all of you, thanks. I have made my best friends through geocaching. Jon and I were on our way home and talking about what a wonderful group of people it is. Some toasts....

"A toast to Mainiac1957 on this being his 5000th find. Wahoo!" - surfsupdiverdown

"A toast to geocaching!" - Geowalker - Luke

"To ten years and ten times more fun to come." - laroch

"When you make your mad dash
for your special geocache
Make sure you dont trip and get a gash
or fall in poison ivy & get a rash." - Tikache and RATTKAT

"Last winter we got 3 FTF's in less than an hour! We've loved getting to meet other geocachers this year." - ampmdp

"10 years - it's just a number." - Cano

"Once when Ms Taoastmaster and I went to play a trick on Martes we walked for what seemed like hours!" - Courtney

"We are only passing through. We are custodians and guardians of this grand adventure." - author unknown

"A toast to the people who love geocaching." - cashi

A toast "to spring that can't come soon enough!" - Wade Rogers

"Here's to Tom/tat routes and short cuts." - Robt

"To geocaching, when you measure all life events by their proximity to a geocache." - Willmere

"After 1 year and 1/2 we're still caching. Who would have though we would be caching and celebrating ten years and many more to come!" - author unknown.

"A toast to the folks that take of their personal time to set up and run the event. Thank you very much." - author unknown.

hollora
01-31-2011, 12:08 AM
Thanks! Mrs. Fins_Up and my oldest son came up with the idea and actually made it this morning while I was out caching and snowshoeing with my youngest son.

It was very cool!

hollora
01-31-2011, 12:12 AM
I wrote a toast but it didn't get in the bucket - I found it in my pocket when I got home - Here's to Good Times, Good Food, Cache Finds and No DNFs - Happy 10 Years!

Karen - thanks for all your hard work on this one! Truly one which kids (even the older ones) will remember for years to come.

Sudonim
01-31-2011, 03:40 PM
Karen, awesome job as always! You give a nice venue in the middle of winter for friends to get together and swap stories. (And it's on a Sunday too for us 6 day-a-week job folks...) Thank you again.

Fins_Up
02-01-2011, 03:24 PM
Who made the hiker bars? I took one with me and had it today. It was very delicious!!!

Ekidokai
02-01-2011, 03:40 PM
Fins, great cake. Not just the taste either.

This was truly a grand event. Everyone had a great time.

Congratulations to Mainiac on his 5000th find and to Tat on being the 100th person to sign the log and his upcoming nuptials.

Cano thanks for the ride.

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m133/ekidokai/Letthefeastingbegin.jpg

brdad
02-01-2011, 05:25 PM
Who made the hiker bars? I took one with me and had it today. It was very delicious!!!

Priscilla of 4ccnhikers is well known for her hiker bars, it could have been her!

Mainiac1957
02-01-2011, 05:35 PM
Priscilla of 4ccnhikers is well known for her hiker bars, it could have been her!

That is correct Dave....

Fins_Up
02-01-2011, 05:50 PM
Fins, great cake. Not just the taste either.

Thanks Eki!!! I have to give credit to Mrs. Fins_Up and my oldest son (9). They had the idea and made it while my youngest and I were out caching.

hollora
02-01-2011, 08:04 PM

And if it was hers I think the recipe is in our on line book.