View Full Version : Need finds behind them before hiding their first

attroll
06-13-2005, 12:08 AM
wbdent Here is a perfect example as why someone should have a few caches behind their belt before they hide their first cache. The owner of this cache has never even found a cache according to their profile at this time. But yet they have hidden one. Read the first persons comments on the cache and you will see what I mean.http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=b2459d1f-2033-401a-b02d-b4c36cc7ed96

brdad
06-13-2005, 05:30 AM
I noticed that, too, but also give the hider credit since it does not seem to be a typical cache, and it sure sounds like it takes you to an area you might not visit otherwise!

My biggest fear with a cache of this type hidden by someone without any finds would be if he would/could maintain it for one (at least he seems to live near the area).

My biggest argument for not hiding any caches for a while is that many people see something and get excited and do something like hide a cache, then lose interest the next week. At least if they've found a few, the odds are that they might stick with geocaching a little longer.

Forest_Nymph
06-13-2005, 06:44 AM
Thats so true. Have noticed so many new cachers with little or no finds. I'd hold back seeking one until I was more certain that it was/is an interesting place to visit.

That being said, I have just recently put out my first cache. Simple, easy and not very creative but I promise I will monitor it!!

ps: my new micro siggys are in circulation now....and my 1st cache has a 1 of 4 (set) for the ftf. My next three hides will contain one each to match the set.

lefty
06-13-2005, 07:13 AM
What would you guys and gals say is a good number of finds to have before putting out a cache? My daughter wants us to put out one before the end of the summer.

J_Cyr
06-13-2005, 07:21 AM
Go for it. As long as you know what your doing I think the point is. :)

Bluegrass Gyrl
06-13-2005, 07:48 AM
Here is an excellent tutorial! Geocaching U (http://www.geocacher-u.com/caches/cache-el-1.html) I think I had nearly 100 finds before I hid my first cache.

Trezurs*-R-*Fun
06-13-2005, 08:21 AM
Like Bluegrass Girl I waited until I had 50 finds before my first hide. Not that there needs to be a ratio between finds and hides but I do agree that their has to be some proven commitment to geocaching.

WhereRWe?
06-13-2005, 08:26 AM
All I have to say is: at least it wasn't a micro! LOL! :D

attroll
06-13-2005, 12:43 PM
wbdent We put out our first cache this weekend. In fact we put out four of them. That was after we waited until we had about 147 finds behind us. But there is no set amount you should wait for before you put your own out. As long as you know what is suppose to be in the cache and maintain it. GC has direction or suggestions on what should be in a cache. When I was refering to the ofer persons cache it was quite obviouse they did not know what they were doing. For one thing they did not even leave a logbook. This person must not have read the GC web site.

Team2hunt
06-13-2005, 03:54 PM
This is a great way to own a cache. One thing is the cache is allready established. The other is the cache is near us, and the owners moved, which would have eventually meant the cache might have to be archived or disabled. We own a cache and the cache survives. A win, win situation. We have around 90 finds and have plans to hide our first cache soon. Somewhere close by. LOL

Sudonim
06-13-2005, 07:31 PM
I started feeling really guilty about not placing any caches, but didn't have any good ideas at first about where to place one. I think I was at the 100 cache mark before I placed my first one and I have gotten fairly positive feedback about the locations (OK, a little grumbling about excessive exercise required, but nobody's perfect)

tat
06-13-2005, 08:45 PM
I'm not so sure there is a corelation between finds and quality hides. The reason is that everyone has completely diferent ideas of what is cool and what isn't. And, you can always change a cache.

I am very familiar with the area of the cache you mention, and this is probably a great place to try a trailless cache. i can't wait to log it, er, find it.

Hoamdezinahs
06-21-2005, 02:23 PM
I think I would question looking for a cache if the person that placed it had no reasonable amount of finds. What's the motive here. Why on earth would anyone want to place a cache if they are not an ative participant anyway. I think myself that a cache placed by a non-cacher should be avoded like the plague. We all accept this as a safe and respectble, hobby,sport, pastime, whatever, but it's only a matter of time before some wacko trys to ruin it. So I would say cachers beware.

brdad
06-21-2005, 07:40 PM
I think I would question looking for a cache if the person that placed it had no reasonable amount of finds. What's the motive here. Why on earth would anyone want to place a cache if they are not an ative participant anyway. I think myself that a cache placed by a non-cacher should be avoded like the plague. We all accept this as a safe and respectble, hobby,sport, pastime, whatever, but it's only a matter of time before some wacko trys to ruin it. So I would say cachers beware.

I see where you are coming from, but that is not always the case. Maine has a number of hiders who have few or no finds, and their hides are actually pretty decent. They obviously have a decent knowledge of GPSrs and know of some nice locations. The main issue with most of these type of people is that the caches do not get maintained as well.

But, on the other hand, there have been some cachers with plenty of finds who hide caches in less than safe or legal locations, and who do not maintain them either.