View Full Version : GMRS/FRS radio

Starzz
06-13-2005, 06:49 PM
Was wondering if anyone uses GMRS/FRS radio's when out geocaching. I have one but never used it for geocaching . . . . YET!

WhereRWe?
06-13-2005, 06:55 PM
Was wondering if anyone uses GMRS/FRS radio's when out geocaching. I have one but never used it for geocaching . . . . YET!

GMRS/FRS????? :confused:

Bluegrass Gyrl
06-13-2005, 07:39 PM
Motown Dawg and I use them all the time...especially when he stays in the car! :p We have a couple of Motorola rechargeables that we picked up at Sam's Club. WhereRWe?: He's referring to 2-way radios...previously known as walkie talkies.

brdad
06-13-2005, 08:06 PM
Way back in time, shortly after I started geocaching, members of gc.com debated on a semi-official channel for geocachers. The votes were tallied, and the conclusion was that channel 2 would be the primary channel and channel 12 was the alternate (In case non-cachers were using channel 2). This info is posted somewhere on gc.com, in the FAQ area I think. I haven't even had my FRS radios out in a long time, I guess maybe I should...

WhereRWe?
06-14-2005, 08:04 AM
Motown Dawg and I use them all the time...especially when he stays in the car! :p We have a couple of Motorola rechargeables that we picked up at Sam's Club. WhereRWe?: He's referring to 2-way radios...previously known as walkie talkies.

Ohh - I've got those. My Dad and I use them when we go hunting. I don't take them geocaching 'cause if RULOST2? get too far behind, I just yell. :o :D

lefty
06-14-2005, 10:45 AM
Ohh - I've got those. My Dad and I use them when we go hunting. I don't take them geocaching 'cause if RULOST2? get too far behind, I just yell. :o :DIsn't it illegal to hunt with those?

attroll
06-14-2005, 01:17 PM
Yes it is illegal to hunt with them. I would not get caught with them hunting.

d’76
06-14-2005, 01:36 PM
I didn't think that those radios fired bullets

lefty
06-14-2005, 02:03 PM
I didn't think that those radios fired bulletsI have a mod in my set:cool:

WhereRWe?
06-14-2005, 04:21 PM

Hmmmmm....

Strange - never heard that. We do hear a lot of ofher hunters talking when we're out there.

We just carry them for emergencies. My Dad is 83, after all! LOL!

Cache'n Jacksons
06-14-2005, 06:08 PM
I didn't think that those radios fired bulletsLOL!!! I had to laugh out loud at that one! :D We will use the radios if we break the group up, or if we're at an event and there is a strategic advantage to using them. ;)

Trezurs*-R-*Fun
06-14-2005, 07:42 PM

There are no laws saying that you can't use a CB while hunting. The only references to radios in Maine Hunting Regulations are for Junior Hunters, where you have to be in visual contact with the Junior not aided by radio.

Wardens have been known to monitor CB to help locate those who intentionally drive deer or night hunt.

I personally don't use a radio cause I mostly hunt alone but I can see the benefits of having one if you are hunting in unfamiliar territory.

FFFarmer
06-14-2005, 08:06 PM
We have used them (we have RINO 110 and 120 GPSr), we don't often because we are usually in voice distance apart. They are handy when you need them.

brdad
06-14-2005, 08:30 PM
The big reason we voted on the FRS channels wasn't so much for an individual caching party to use them, but for one party to contact another ... ever have that feeling when you're at a cache that another cacher might be parked in the parking area?

lefty
06-14-2005, 10:54 PM
There are no laws saying that you can't use a CB while hunting. The only references to radios in Maine Hunting Regulations are for Junior Hunters, where you have to be in visual contact with the Junior not aided by radio.

Wardens have been known to monitor CB to help locate those who intentionally drive deer or night hunt.

I personally don't use a radio cause I mostly hunt alone but I can see the benefits of having one if you are hunting in unfamiliar territory.
I can see an advantage using them while hunting, in case of emergencies especially. But I think you can use them to drive deer. I am not sure if there is an actual law, but have eard many hunters tell me so. I will call a friend of mine and ask.

I just got a set with rechargeable batteries and use it as an intercom at home, besides using them for caching when my daughter decides to go out of eyesight. They are truly a great and affordable means of comms.

attroll
06-15-2005, 01:02 AM
You are not suppose to use them hunting because they don't want you to drive deer with them. I know someone who got stopped for using them.

WhereRWe?
06-15-2005, 08:00 AM
You are not suppose to use them hunting because they don't want you to drive deer with them. I know someone who got stopped for using them.

Well, we certainly don't drive deer, and usually only use them twice or so during the hunt. One time about halfway through the time we set to be out:

"See anything?"
"Nope"

And then when we're ready to go:

"Ready to go"
"Yup"

:D

Of course, having waypointed the car with the GPS makes the hike back SOOOO much quicker! LOL!