View Full Version : Milestones

Fins_Up
11-21-2010, 10:59 AM
So, I am sitting a 699 finds and it got me to thinking. I try to find a special cache to find for milestones. For #200 I found the oldest cache in Maine, #400 was tandemstoker's Official Milestone Cache and for #500 I paddled with my son to Dan's cache on 3 Mile Pond. I found the GeoZoo night cache with a group for #650 and that was a great time. I usually reserve the milestones for every 100 though even though I list my milestones for each 50 on my profile page. What does everyone else do? Do you treat all numbers the same or do you go for special caches for your milestones? I can't wait for #1000. I am thinking maybe the highest elevation cache in Maine or the furthest north or something like that.

cano
11-21-2010, 11:13 AM
So, I am sitting a 699 finds and it got me to thinking. I try to find a special cache to find for milestones. For #200 I found the oldest cache in Maine, #400 was tandemstoker's Official Milestone Cache and for #500 I paddled with my son to Dan's cache on 3 Mile Pond. I found the GeoZoo night cache with a group for #650 and that was a great time. I usually reserve the milestones for every 100 though even though I list my milestones for each 50 on my profile page. What does everyone else do? Do you treat all numbers the same or do you go for special caches for your milestones? I can't wait for #1000. I am thinking maybe the highest elevation cache in Maine or the furthest north or something like that.

I even created this plaque, but I didn't take it with me to the 1000th cache because I couldn't find it :)

http://img.geocaching.com/cache/log/8e02c994-1e30-4614-9649-ed6cbc16cf8b.jpg
http://img.geocaching.com/cache/log/7693d4d4-f920-4548-bde2-55cb25a1df98.jpg
http://img.geocaching.com/cache/log/34bff40d-18b9-4cec-ac09-676cbc69c0ef.jpg
http://img.geocaching.com/cache/log/a7a402d1-f285-466d-b870-0739d1903f22.jpg
http://img.geocaching.com/cache/log/cc00166e-1ca7-4b37-bba6-998160136250.jpg

cano
11-21-2010, 11:25 AM

I don't really plan for milestone caches. However the day I hit a milestone a choose one cache from that day I liked the most to be my milestone. Except my 1000th cache, I wanted it to be outside of US and it was.

WhereRWe?
11-21-2010, 01:40 PM
What does everyone else do? Do you treat all numbers the same...

Yup. Sure do.

brdad
11-21-2010, 03:02 PM
I've said it a million times, every cache is a milestone. Just like Rick hiking the AT, every mile is a mile, some are easier than others, some are more scenic than others, some are more rewarding than others, some of them you could care less if you walked them again or any like it. But they are all milestones nonetheless.

If you save out only the 'best' for the milestones ending in 00, are you telling the cache owners for the other 99 that those caches just don't make the cut?

Fins_Up
11-21-2010, 04:12 PM
I like getting GRC caches or quick hides but my favorite caches are usually along a trail or somewhere with a scenic view. I do enjoy the numbers part of the game probably because I am a data analyst by trade. When I come up on another hundred I like to find something that I consider more of a challenge or has a specail meaning or a great spot with an awesome view. So I am not saying they don't make the cut but I think that most people will recognize that not all caches are created equally.

shuman road searchers
11-21-2010, 05:13 PM
I have sought out certain caches to do for milestones. I have tried to find a 100 milestone cache by as many different cachers as I can. I did have #'500 and 1000 centered around baseball because of my 7 years of coaching. I did however alter a route just to be able to log # 2500 by Dan only because of the friendship that has formed and it was my way of saying thanks for everything. I want to suggest that you do Mt. Waldo on Friday the 26th for your milestone and by the way I have not done those either!

Fins_Up
11-21-2010, 08:42 PM
I think I am going for one in NY since I am going to be there on Friday.

Ekidokai
11-22-2010, 02:37 AM
I have not paid any attention to milestones except of two. The first cache I did and number 500. I actually planned the 500 one out so it would be the Groundspeak Adventure Maze. It was the one in Baltimore.

dufzor
11-22-2010, 04:13 AM
I have sought out certain caches to do for milestones. I have tried to find a 100 milestone cache by as many different cachers as I can. I did have #'500 and 1000 centered around baseball because of my 7 years of coaching. I did however alter a route just to be able to log # 2500 by Dan only because of the friendship that has formed and it was my way of saying thanks for everything. I want to suggest that you do Mt. Waldo on Friday the 26th for your milestone and by the way I have not done those either!

Something special going on on Waldo this week? Group hike? Nosey local cachers who have also not done the caches on the very top of Waldo want to know!:eek::D:o:confused:

dubord207
11-22-2010, 07:16 AM
I have tried to do more memorable caches for milestones but all it takes is a single deleted find by the CO or a double log by the cacher and your cache count gets messed up and different caches will show up as your "milestone" caches. I suppose you can do what Cano does on the day you log your finds, but I'm not sure how to change a find sequence well after the fact.

brdad
11-22-2010, 07:49 AM
You can force the FindStats macro to show a certain cache for a given milestone. Alternatively, you can copy all the logs for the day in question, then delete all those logs and re-log them in a sequence that fits your needs. I couldn't live with myself if I did the latter, I am very anal about logging my caches in order!

cano
11-22-2010, 11:34 AM
I have tried to do more memorable caches for milestones but all it takes is a single deleted find by the CO or a double log by the cacher and your cache count gets messed up and different caches will show up as your "milestone" caches. I suppose you can do what Cano does on the day you log your finds, but I'm not sure how to change a find sequence well after the fact.

I guess if you log one cache in the past to replace deleted log, this will shift other caches back, fixing your milestones.

Fins_Up
11-22-2010, 02:01 PM
I am very OCD (or CDO if you need the letter in alphabetical order) about logging all my caches in order too. I have never had a log deleted with the exception of a note I posted so that has not been a problem. I have actually driven around in the dark caching when I knew I was going to Portland the next day so I could get The Fort Williams cache for #200.

ampmdp
11-24-2010, 06:34 AM
We haven't made a point about specific caches for milestones (except for Tandemstoker's excellent milestone cache!), but starting at 400 (I think) I started printing out a milestone sheet and taking a picture of the rest of team ampmdp holding it at the cache site. We also treated ourselves to a 500-find geocoin, and I've got a 1000-find coin tucked away for the near future!

Like dubord207 mentioned, our milestones got messed up when our very first cache find was deleted! Turns out there was an ammo can that *wasn't* the cache in close proximity to the ammo can that *was* the cache. Several hundred caches later the CO let me know this and deleted my find.

dubord207
11-24-2010, 06:51 AM
I've had 2 logs deleted. One was because my log suggested that the final location of a puzzle cache was near to the cache described in my log. My error but I was surprised I didn't hear directly from the CO as I could have quickly changed the log. The second was a cache in Bangor that Di and I went for at this year's Beer and Wings event that we both knew we'd done a year ago. I sent the CO a PM to inquire why it had been deleted and never heard back.

I have only deleted ONE log on a cache of mine and it was after I sent a note to the logger suggesting he modify his needlessly nasty log. His response was complete with a way over the top and vulgar diatribe and that one only took a second for me to hit the delete key.

Occassionally I have received PM's from CO's requesting a modification of a log due to spoilers. That's the best way to do it if you have a problem with a fellow cacher's log. IMHO

brdad
11-24-2010, 08:03 AM
I drove 50 or more miles to be FTF on a cache before work one day, came back home and logged it only to find the log deleted that night. Soon after the entire cache was deleted. Turns out the hider put the cache on his employer's land without permission and he was so afraid of getting caught he had groundspeak delete the cache completely.

I also changed a log from another cache from found to not found after being informed here in the forums it should have never been logged as a find anyway. It's so easy to click that found button!

The less the numbers matter, the less the milestones being correct matter. I do like to have a record of my attempts however, so I would post a note if I had to.

On the receiving end, however, I'll admit it is an honor to have my own cache intentionally selected as a milestone.

JustKev
11-24-2010, 08:11 AM
So far, the only "milestone" Pam and I have done was Tandemstoker's Milestone for our 400th. We saw it when we were close to 400, liked the idea and planned around it. Other than that, I doubt we'll do many "milestone" caches for our "00" caches because that's not really the kind of caching we prefer. We love going to get caches that have been published for a few days and no one has gone after. We did that just yesterday. Took a drive, practically to Canada, and got the 47th Delorme Grid for Martes. Nasty day, great cache.

firefighterjake
11-24-2010, 08:38 AM
I never pay attention to milestones . . . then again I'm not into this for the numbers.

Mainiac1957
11-24-2010, 05:12 PM
Back when I started I was more about finding a certain cache for an "00" milestone. After 1000 I didn't pay much attention till I hit 2000 at Geowoodstock 6 in California. All the ones I have since then have been wherever I was when it rolled around. Now I am thinking I might like to do something for 5000. I may try and do a special cache if it works out, but I won't go out of my way.

I am on the same page as Dave on the keeping the finds in order. I too have been know to delete and re-log if I mess them up. That is why GSAK works out so well for me in the record keeping department.

tat
11-24-2010, 06:42 PM
I like random numbers. It seems like random numbers are the choice of 9 out of 10 lotteries. Besides, the numbers only have basis when expressed in base 10. If we had been born with 8 fingers, 11 would be 9. For extra credit, what number would your 1500th cache be if had been included toes when numbers were made?

Team2hunt
11-24-2010, 06:55 PM
I like random numbers. It seems like random numbers are the choice of 9 out of 10 lotteries. Besides, the numbers only have basis when expressed in base 10. If we had been born with 8 fingers, 11 would be 9. For extra credit, what number would your 1500th cache be if had been included toes when numbers were made?

What......? :confused:

team barbieri
11-24-2010, 07:11 PM

1200 would be my guess

WhereRWe?
11-24-2010, 07:54 PM

Sheesh! Is this TAT or Cano speaking??? :D:D

cano
11-24-2010, 08:22 PM

exactly, I also recognize additional milestones like 128, 256, 512, 1024, ...
2^10 is very close, I have to figure out what cache it will be.

1500 in finger and toes would be 3:15:0 or 3E0

WhereRWe?
11-24-2010, 08:32 PM
exactly, I also recognize additional milestones like 128, 256, 512, 1024, ...
2^10 is very close, I have to figure out what cache it will be.

1500 in finger and toes would be 3:15:0 or 3E0

Obviously, one has to wonder if Cano has the same number of fingers and toes as the rest of us... ;);)

pm28570
11-24-2010, 08:52 PM
Back when I started I was more about finding a certain cache for an "00" milestone. After 1000 I didn't pay much attention till I hit 2000 at Geowoodstock 6 in California. All the ones I have since then have been wherever I was when it rolled around. Now I am thinking I might like to do something for 5000. I may try and do a special cache if it works out, but I won't go out of my way.

I am on the same page as Dave on the keeping the finds in order. I too have been know to delete and re-log if I mess them up. That is why GSAK works out so well for me in the record keeping department.

Yup on the logging order, can't imagine doing it otherwise. Selecting a milestone cache hasn't been high on my list. Actually, it didn't make the list. As anyone can tell by my current count vs. the amount of time I've been caching, numbers don't mean anything to me. Well.....actually they do. One ammo can after a scenic hike in and back out beats 25 GRC's any day. But on the other hand, I sure was grateful for GRC's when hobbling around on crutches. :o

tat
11-26-2010, 02:38 PM
Of course Cano is correct, but if you'd like a caching explanation:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=ad98b2a4-1e82-47a8-b297-22ef7e1580d1

There are only 10 types of people in the world — those who understand binary, and those who don't

Mapachi
11-27-2010, 12:29 PM