View Full Version : IAMPAW & Trick or Treat 1100+ 3 days

lexmano
11-22-2010, 05:06 PM
Penny (IAMPAW) and Dawn of Trick or Treat just returned from Nevada where they conquered the E.T. caches series. They found more than 1100 caches on November 13-15th.:D

This is impressive, but just before that a new 24 hour record of 1230 caches had been set!:eek:

Nonetheless, congratulations ladies, I am impressed!

Petr (Marcipanek, Southern Maine's caching animal) is headed to Nevada shortly. I wish I could go with him and be his driver while he mops up the E.T. trail!:(

lexmano
11-22-2010, 05:27 PM
http://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=263311

masterson of the universe
11-22-2010, 05:35 PM
No doubt, thats a great three day power run with some serious planning. I know each individual cache was probably pretty non-memorable, but how was the overall experience? Did you find that it was excessive by the end? I ask because by #115 of the SMR, i was tired of getting in and out of the vehicle and writing my name.

cachecrashers4
11-22-2010, 06:39 PM
Congrats folks!

Ekidokai
11-22-2010, 06:42 PM
That is a bunch of caches.

iampaw
11-22-2010, 06:44 PM
I think our total was 1201 after every cache was logged. We took turns getting in and out of the car. I wasn't tired of the caches but my legs and back was tired of the up and down. These caches were all on the ground. No trees on this run. Toward the end of our time we were sort of falling/stumbling back into the car. I had a stamp made up with our name on it, I think it took longer to roll the log back up than it did to stamp. We had to remind each other to look around and enjoy the views, which were beautiful....anyway I had a great time and would do another one anytime(well maybe after a few weeks)

hollora
11-22-2010, 07:30 PM
Nice accomplishment ladies and congratulations.

pm28570
11-22-2010, 08:31 PM
I think our total was 1201 after every cache was logged. We took turns getting in and out of the car. I wasn't tired of the caches but my legs and back was tired of the up and down. These caches were all on the ground. No trees on this run. Toward the end of our time we were sort of falling/stumbling back into the car. I had a stamp made up with our name on it, I think it took longer to roll the log back up than it did to stamp. We had to remind each other to look around and enjoy the views, which were beautiful....anyway I had a great time and would do another one anytime(well maybe after a few weeks) t
Great to hear that you had a great time and congrats!

Trick or Treat
11-22-2010, 09:52 PM
Thanks Lex - we didnt try to beat the all time record but we did manage to find 600 on day one of the trip (14 hour day which included some hikes in the mountains). Very interesting terrain, changes in elevation and the opportunity to meet other cachers from all over the world doing the series. The caches had similar containers but the hides were certainly different along the series which kept it unpredictable. We travelled in the dark to get to the first cache so we could spend daylight hours caching. I had taken shorts and a bathing suit for the trip and abandoned those as I bought a hat and gloves for the unexpected snow and cold in the mountains. We did see quite a few animals and buy a gas can which has a story that we will share at the upcoming meet and greet. Overall a great trip and more adventures in caching.

Team2hunt
11-23-2010, 06:15 AM
Thanks for sharing your story and congrats on all of the finds and the time it took to log them.

My bags are packed........:rolleyes:

NativeMainer
11-23-2010, 09:30 AM
I heard about that series a short while ago and I've been itching to go out and do it. Unfortunately, I don't have any plans to go out to Nevada any time soon. I still need to go up and do SMR sometime.

Congrats!

vicbiker
11-23-2010, 09:31 AM
Wow! What a great accomplishment...congratulations.

dubord207
11-23-2010, 05:56 PM
600 in one day? Sounds like an outing to me! Did you do a Southwest air special to get out there? Where did you start? I'd have no problem jumping on a plane for an outing like that. Who's interested?

lexmano
11-23-2010, 11:03 PM
600 in one day? Sounds like an outing to me! Did you do a Southwest air special to get out there? Where did you start? I'd have no problem jumping on a plane for an outing like that. Who's interested?

I can't make it or I would be tempted. Petr has one day to commit to his assault on the ET caches, if he had a another cacher I would not bet against him doing 1000 in a day.

cano
11-23-2010, 11:22 PM
I can't make it or I would be tempted. Petr has one day to commit to his assault on the ET caches, if he had a another cacher I would not bet against him doing 1000 in a day.
I would love to join :)

dubord207
11-24-2010, 06:53 AM
Petr and cano on a numbers run...Operation Czech-mate!

I would love to join :)

brdad
11-24-2010, 08:28 AM
Not to be a spoilsport, but I still don't get why anyone would bother with caches like this, and even worse it is a shame to see the questionable logging methods by many of those trying to get the most in a day. And I am not saying (IAMPAW)/Trick or Treat are in this category, it rather looks like they were doing them as a personal goal.

That being said, that is a lot of stops for any reason in a short time period.

ltlindian
11-24-2010, 09:35 AM
I'm heading out to las vegas/grand canyon in april. There's no way I could get the kids to do 1000+ caches with me in a day, but we will find a bunch along our drive! They are always wanting to find the 'big' ones, so that will be what we concentrate on. But if these aliens are on our way...... maybe. lol

JustKev
11-24-2010, 09:46 AM
For those who like these kinds of runs, go for it. Personally, they make geocaching feel like a competitive sport. I'd rather spend a day like we had yesterday. Two caches. Lousy weather. Great day spent with my wife and our new puppy. I wouldn't trade yesterday for a numbers day, ever.

cano
11-24-2010, 10:38 AM
Not to be a spoilsport, but I still don't get why anyone would bother with caches like this, and even worse it is a shame to see the questionable logging methods by many of those trying to get the most in a day. And I am not saying (IAMPAW)/Trick or Treat are in this category, it rather looks like they were doing them as a personal goal.

That being said, that is a lot of stops for any reason in a short time period.

It's a challenge, that's why it's worth doing. What's so special about finding a few caches a day in your neighborhood if that's what are you doing all the time?

brdad
11-24-2010, 11:41 AM
It's a challenge, that's why it's worth doing. What's so special about finding a few caches a day in your neighborhood if that's what are you doing all the time?

But to me, outside of the time restraint there is no challenge. The caches are easy enough to find - To me, you may as well be counting as many pebbles on a beach you can in 24 hours or drive down I-95 and write down all the Maine plates you can in a given time. The caches really seem to mean nothing. If you want to get technical, in the case of the alien series, you are actually not finding the original cache nor are you signing the real log book. They have all been replaced by new finders several times over, and not because they needed maintenance, but to save time and claim the numbers. I'm not sure if I could claim them as a find myself. Heck, if all anyone wants is a challenge, come to my house and see how many windows you can wash in a day, we have well over 500 individual panes of glass, and both sides need cleaning. :D

If you can have fun doing them, I take no issue with that. I'm happy to hunt out the unique and memorable caches, even if it is only one or two for a day.

cano
11-24-2010, 12:09 PM
Heck, if all anyone wants is a challenge, come to my house and see how many windows you can wash in a day, we have well over 500 individual panes of glass, and both sides need cleaning. :D

Can I log them afterward?

Sudonim
11-24-2010, 05:50 PM
Can I log them afterward?

Sorry, they are all waypoints to the big window in the diningroom. Only 1 cache, many windows:p