View Full Version : Military Geo-Coin Tribute

dufzor
11-28-2010, 03:06 AM
Hi all, I am wondering if you can help me locate a reliable company to buy an Air Force geocoin from. Sadly, my beloved uncle, who I have posted about here before, is dying. He is a WWII vet, Purple Heart, was @ Pearl Harbor, survived the Death March of Bataan, was a pow for years, was nearby when the a bombs were dropped and was a multi decade soldier, retiring and honorably discharged as a Mst. Sgt. I would like to honor him with a geocoin and am wondering if you guys can steer me in the right direction. If there is a company you think I should/shouldn't purchase from and don't want to post here, please PM me. Thanks for your help during this difficult time.

JustKev
11-28-2010, 07:54 AM
JustPJ66 and I have lost loved ones in recent years. She lost her dad and I lost both parents. You have our heartfelt condolences in your time of upcoming loss. Cherish the good times, it really helps your grief heal.

WhereRWe?
11-28-2010, 08:03 AM
The company "coinsandpins.com" is well known, and they have a selection of Air Force coins, but I note only 1 Air Force GEOcoin (https://www.coinsandpins.com/index.php?route=product/search&keyword=air%20force&category_id=0).

WhereRWe?
11-28-2010, 08:19 AM
There is also a listing of geocoin manufacturers/sellers on GC.com (http://www.geocaching.com/track/geocoin.aspx).

Oakcoins.com (http://oakcoins.com/) and Landsharkz.ca (http://landsharkz.ca/) are other well-known companies.

hollora
11-28-2010, 10:28 AM
Coins and Pins has produced Military tribute Geocoins for a long time as well as military medallions (non-geocoins). I bought a whole set of the Geocoins (all the service brances) from them in 2006. They were beautiful. C&P is a very reputable company and you should have no problems.

The others mentioned above (Oak and Landsharkz) are as well but I am not familiar they produced any military tribute coins.

Thoughts and prayers are with you.

surfacewarrior
11-28-2010, 08:19 PM
at the Bangor Mainiacs base out by the airport they have a small PX (post exchange) that just two weeks ago (after the Seadogs beer and wings) while looking for any Navy stuff I saw a rack with several Air Force coins and pins.

dufzor
11-28-2010, 10:25 PM
at the Bangor Mainiacs base out by the airport they have a small PX (post exchange) that just two weeks ago (after the Seadogs beer and wings) while looking for any Navy stuff I saw a rack with several Air Force coins and pins.
Can the general public shop the PX? I think, as a neice, I might not be eligible to get in if its service members and families only.

hollora
11-28-2010, 11:43 PM
Can the general public shop the PX? I think, as a neice, I might not be eligible to get in if its service members and families only.

Believe to get into the PX you need a military (active or retired) ID. Last I knew to get beyond the security gate you need a tag on your car or some official papers ~ photo ID too for all in the vehicle.

Coins and Pins may have some general non-geocaching stuff as may some of the other coin companies. Coins are minted a lot for awards and formal balls. Also a lot of the medals are done by coin companies.

dufzor
11-29-2010, 12:02 AM
Thanks for your help, cachers. Ordered the Air Force geocoin from Coins and Pins.

WhereRWe?
11-29-2010, 08:22 AM
Believe to get into the PX you need a military (active or retired) ID.

True. And the coins there are mostly military "challenge" coins, for military personnel. No geocoins. :(:(

Ekidokai
11-29-2010, 07:52 PM
I have one of those. They are really cool.

dufzor
12-05-2010, 02:01 AM
My Uncle is hanging in there, was lucid tonight and enjoyed seeing his coin before it is released! Thank you all for your help! I would like to add a pic of him with his coin tonight, but I can't figure out how. Do I have to put it on face book? It askes for a URL, but the pic is just on my PC?:confused:

brdad
12-05-2010, 03:11 AM
My Uncle is hanging in there, was lucid tonight and enjoyed seeing his coin before it is released! Thank you all for your help! I would like to add a pic of him with his coin tonight, but I can't figure out how. Do I have to put it on face book? It askes for a URL, but the pic is just on my PC?:confused:

Your image needs to be uploaded somewhere on the internet. FB or anywhere will work most of the time, but the best bet is to upload right to gc.com. On the top right corner of the TB/Coin page there should be an "Upload an Image" link where you can choose the file and upload it, and there is a checkbox for making this the default image for the trackable.

dufzor
12-05-2010, 04:06 AM
Is Collectible:Yes No What does this mean, on the travel bug page???

dufzor
12-05-2010, 04:12 AM
Okay, will be getting the family together soon to get my uncles correct history, but here is a pic of him taken tonight after learning about geocaching and that he is going to have his own coin out there. He really is smiling and happy, but it may be hard to recognize that with the stroke symptoms. http://img.geocaching.com/track/display/f98390d0-2ea2-4636-81d5-278743cb5e01.jpgdufzor on left, then Mst Sgt Martel in middle, and his daughter, Jill, who has been out caching but does not yet own a unit, is on the right. You can't keep a Bataan Death March Survivor down. He has already outlived his very short prognosis by a week.

brdad
12-05-2010, 06:39 AM
Is Collectible:Yes No What does this mean, on the travel bug page???

Yes, on the travel bug page.

dufzor
12-05-2010, 02:54 PM
Yes, on the travel bug page. What do they mean, is it collectable?? Collectable like the finder can keep it or collectable as in is it out there and can it be picked up to move?

brdad
12-05-2010, 04:59 PM
What do they mean, is it collectable?? Collectable like the finder can keep it or collectable as in is it out there and can it be picked up to move?

Ok, I misunderstood the first time. I don't do much with coins or TBs and this is a new option I had to look up to understand.

I hope someone else will verify my interpretation, but marking the coin as collectible means it is part of your personal collection and no one else can grab the coin or place it anywhere, only you can. So if you intend to set the coin out and let people move it, you should not select this option. It really is quite confusing and seems the opposite of how I would interpret it.

WhereRWe?
12-05-2010, 05:41 PM
Ok, I misunderstood the first time. I don't do much with coins or TBs and this is a new option I had to look up to understand.

Can you expand on this a little? I looked around, and see where I can designate a trackable as "collectible", but I couldn't find the explanation on GC.com. Can you provide a link? :D:D

hollora
12-05-2010, 06:05 PM
Can you expand on this a little? I looked around, and see where I can designate a trackable as "collectible", but I couldn't find the explanation on GC.com. Can you provide a link? :D:D

Here is the link from GC.com which explains the "collectible" box. http://support.groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=250 :)

If you own a lot of trackables, don't put them out to travel and don't want them to show in your inventory every time you find a cache - this is a very nice feature. :D;):D

WhereRWe?
12-05-2010, 06:31 PM
Here is the link from GC.com which explains the "collectible" box. http://support.groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=250 :)

If you own a lot of trackables, don't put them out to travel and don't want them to show in your inventory every time you find a cache - this is a very nice feature. :D;):D

Sheesh! The way I read the description, it seems like a "collectible" geocoin is one that can be taken from a cache a kept (added to THEIR collection)! The description for collectible says "The coin may be collected by ANOTHER player". Doesn't seem like it was intended as a designation for your own coins that you intend to keep...

:confused::confused::confused:

brdad
12-05-2010, 08:32 PM
Ok let me try to clarify. I just tested this out using the gcmaine TB which is owned by a separate account. Totally confusing.

1. On your profile pages exists a newer feature named Trackables Collection.
2. You can add any coin to the Trackables Collection IF the details for that TB/Coin have the Make this Trackable collectible checkbox checked. You do not need to be the owner!
3. Any TB/Coin in Your Trackables Collection are not shown in your inventory list and anyone looking at your profile cannot see what trackables you have in your collection. They can, however see that you possess the coin on the TB/Coin page however.
4. Any coin which is part of a collection cannot be picked up or dropped, it can only be discovered, or given a note. This is true for both the owner of the TB/Coin as well as everyone else.
5. If you own a TB/Coin which has the Make this Trackable collectible checkbox checked and someone else adds it to their collection, you can edit the TB/Coin page, unchecking the checkbox, which will allow you to grab that TB/coin from that persons collection.

So, if you want to set a TB/Coin out and do not want anyone to collect it, which keeps anyone else from picking it up or dropping it off, DO NOT check the Make this Trackable collectible checkbox.

If you own a TB/Coin which will never be moved by anyone but you, only discovered, it would be ok to check that checkbox. You will, however, need to uncheck the checkbox to move it.

hollora
12-05-2010, 10:44 PM
Ok let me try to clarify. I just tested this out using the gcmaine TB which is owned by a separate account. Totally confusing.

1. On your profile pages exists a newer feature named Trackables Collection.
2. You can add any coin to the Trackables Collection IF the details for that TB/Coin have the Make this Trackable collectible checkbox checked. You do not need to be the owner!
3. Any TB/Coin in Your Trackables Collection are not shown in your inventory list and anyone looking at your profile cannot see what trackables you have in your collection. They can, however see that you possess the coin on the TB/Coin page however.
4. Any coin which is part of a collection cannot be picked up or dropped, it can only be discovered, or given a note. This is true for both the owner of the TB/Coin as well as everyone else.
5. If you own a TB/Coin which has the Make this Trackable collectible checkbox checked and someone else adds it to their collection, you can edit the TB/Coin page, unchecking the checkbox, which will allow you to grab that TB/coin from that persons collection.

So, if you want to set a TB/Coin out and do not want anyone to collect it, which keeps anyone else from picking it up or dropping it off, DO NOT check the Make this Trackable collectible checkbox.

If you own a TB/Coin which will never be moved by anyone but you, only discovered, it would be ok to check that checkbox. You will, however, need to uncheck the checkbox to move it.

BRDad - you did a great job explaining that as far as I am concerned - much better than I could have done at this time. All the coins and trackables I do not have circulating are clicked as Collectibles.......because I don't want them in my inventory. People used to put them in "false caches" - either unpublished ones in waiting or archived ones - that was the way around them being in your inventory. For folks who have hundreds of activated coins in their collections - this is a new option.

Putting a trackable in a cache - don't check the box.

pm28570
12-07-2010, 01:48 PM
Hi all, I am wondering if you can help me locate a reliable company to buy an Air Force geocoin from. Sadly, my beloved uncle, who I have posted about here before, is dying. He is a WWII vet, Purple Heart, was @ Pearl Harbor, survived the Death March of Bataan, was a pow for years, was nearby when the a bombs were dropped and was a multi decade soldier, retiring and honorably discharged as a Mst. Sgt. I would like to honor him with a geocoin and am wondering if you guys can steer me in the right direction. If there is a company you think I should/shouldn't purchase from and don't want to post here, please PM me. Thanks for your help during this difficult time.

It was 69 years ago today that changed, forever, the lives of many. And although the country's policies at the time were that of isolationists, it brought us into WWII. Your uncle's generation, my father's and the countless others did nothing short of saving the world, really. Not my quote, but one that I've admired for a number of years. In your uncle's case, to survive Pearl, to surrender at Corregidor and somehow survive the march as well as internment is a statement of it's own.
We are losing WWII vets at an amazing rate and with them their stories, their history. We all talk about thanking a vet when we see them, how about an extra pat on the back or going to the next aisle over at the store to particularly thank a WWII vet? You'll make their day!

dufzor
12-07-2010, 03:05 PM
It was 69 years ago today that changed, forever, the lives of many. And although the country's policies at the time were that of isolationists, it brought us into WWII. Your uncle's generation, my father's and the countless others did nothing short of saving the world, really. Not my quote, but one that I've admired for a number of years. In your uncle's case, to survive Pearl, to surrender at Corregidor and somehow survive the march as well as internment is a statement of it's own.
We are losing WWII vets at an amazing rate and with them their stories, their history. We all talk about thanking a vet when we see them, how about an extra pat on the back or going to the next aisle over at the store to particularly thank a WWII vet? You'll make their day! This is so true. The night after the above pic was taken, he started to have incredible pain. I gave him a message from my neighbors, who are in their 70's and had hosted him when he was Grand Marshall of our 4th of July parade. They asked me to please thank him for his service, again, from them. I didn't expect a response, yet when I told him, he grinned! :)

hollora
12-07-2010, 07:45 PM
Yes, today was a day we all should have taken a moment to remember what happened in HI. I heard on the news tonight, there were only 2 veterans who were living survivors of Pearl Harbor here in ME (? - not sure if this is accurate) and if so - it means through our friend dufzor we are fortunate enough to pass on our thanks directly. If the dear soul is still with us as I write this, I hope he knows there is a new community of friends, his niece's Geocaching friends, who want to extend a hearty "Thank You"!

And to all the other Veterans out there - and there are many - Thank You too!

WhereRWe?
12-07-2010, 08:06 PM
Yes, today was a day we all should have taken a moment to remember what happened in HI. I heard on the news tonight, there were only 2 veterans who were living survivors of Pearl Harbor here in ME (? - not sure if this is accurate) and if so - it means through our friend dufzor we are fortunate enough to pass on our thanks directly. If the dear soul is still with us as I write this, I hope he knows there is a new community of friends, his niece's Geocaching friends, who want to extend a hearty "Thank You"!

My son-in-the-Navy is stationed at Pearl Harbor. I should have thought to ask him what was going on there today. :(:(

Go to GoogleEarth (http://www.google.com/earth/index.html#utm_campaign=en&utm_medium=ha&utm_source=en-ha-na-us-bk-eargen&utm_term=google%20earth), and you can find his office at N21 20.568 W 157 56.495. :) :)

hollora
12-07-2010, 11:50 PM
My son-in-the-Navy is stationed at Pearl Harbor. I should have thought to ask him what was going on there today. :(:(

Go to GoogleEarth (http://www.google.com/earth/index.html#utm_campaign=en&utm_medium=ha&utm_source=en-ha-na-us-bk-eargen&utm_term=google%20earth), and you can find his office at N21 20.568 W 157 56.495. :) :)

Cool - thanks for sharing - hope they did something in Remeberance!

dufzor
12-08-2010, 12:18 AM

I am sure he knows, even though I didn't read this before I left. He was with it enough a couple days ago to understand something about the geocoin to commemorate his service. However, I saw him tonight and he will not be with us physically much longer. No responses to anyone all day, yet when I said the traditional, happy "Hi Unc" he muttered something! Then when I kissed him goodbye tonight, he opened his left eye, which was the side I was on. Just keep sending him prayers please that he can let go and move on with his journey. He's one tough member of the "Bastards of Bataan". (Sorry if this violates and posting rules. That is the name of the surviviors group.)

JustKev
12-08-2010, 08:20 AM
(Sorry if this violates and posting rules. That is the name of the surviviors group.)

There's no problem with that as far as I am concerned. Your uncle deserves the respect that would allow "Bastards of Bataan".

As he passes from this world, his journey will never again be as difficult as the ones he endured in WWII.

pm28570
12-08-2010, 09:27 AM
I am sure he knows, even though I didn't read this before I left. He was with it enough a couple days ago to understand something about the geocoin to commemorate his service. However, I saw him tonight and he will not be with us physically much longer. No responses to anyone all day, yet when I said the traditional, happy "Hi Unc" he muttered something! Then when I kissed him goodbye tonight, he opened his left eye, which was the side I was on. Just keep sending him prayers please that he can let go and move on with his journey. He's one tough member of the "Bastards of Bataan". (Sorry if this violates and posting rules. That is the name of the surviviors group.)
Discovering this coin is a priority for me....hope to see you at the next breakfast or an event. And jeez.....don't release it!

hollora
12-08-2010, 06:21 PM
There's no problem with that as far as I am concerned. Your uncle deserves the respect that would allow "Bastards of Bataan".

As he passes from this world, his journey will never again be as difficult as the ones he endured in WWII.

Absolutely - somethings are just ok! That happens to be one of them.

I, too, really want to discover this coin (but regretfully am leaving for a while on Friday). Passing it hand to hand from cacher may be a safer way to move it.

God Rest Uncle's soul - he will pass when God calls him and when he is ready - trust and believe.........Prayers for him to be comfortable as his new journey begins. Many others of his comrades have lead the way........he will be among the BEST!

dufzor
12-08-2010, 07:05 PM
Hi All, Uncle Laurie is still with us as of this posting.:) My cousin, his daughter, is passing on your appreciative and supportive remarks and is very grateful to you all herself. Even though he can not communicate back, we believe he can still take in the positive messages.
As for the coin, I passed by the thoughts some folks had about keeping it to be discovered and then releasing it. We are in agreement that those of you who wish to discover it should get that discovery before it is released. Then we would like release it into the wild. My uncle fought for freedom. His coin should be free to move about, at least for a while. That being said, the first of its missions is to go back to HI. My uncle loved HI and never got back there. Anyone planning a trip?

dufzor
12-08-2010, 09:32 PM
Hi Folks. Just got word that my Uncle died just a little while ago, very peacefully, and not long after my cousin wispered your message of thanks from the geocaching community, for his service.

hollora
12-08-2010, 10:45 PM
;-) it was his time, he knew..........God rest his soul.

I am humbled by being touched in some small way by this man who forged the history of our Country - as well as ensuring Freedom for us all! God Bless Him - and his family!

Ekidokai
12-08-2010, 10:47 PM
God bless you both.

pm28570
12-09-2010, 09:17 AM
Godspeed, Unc.

firefighterjake
12-09-2010, 09:35 AM
Sorry to hear of your loss Dufzor.

dufzor
12-10-2010, 12:48 PM
http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/bangordailynews/obituary.aspx?n=laurent-l-martel&pid=147077539

JustKev
12-10-2010, 07:56 PM
http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/bangordailynews/obituary.aspx?n=laurent-l-martel&pid=147077539

What a wonderful tribute to a true hero.

team barbieri
12-10-2010, 09:08 PM
God bless Mr. Martel.....A true hero and a great roll model for us all. Our deepest wish's and prayers go out to his family.

dufzor
12-18-2010, 10:56 PM
I would like to thank all of you cachers that posted, prayed, helped, signed the guest book on legacy...Thanks to all of you. It means so much to me and your support is greatly valued! I will miss my Unc every day, but that he left us physically with so many thinking of him was truely a blessing. Thank you!