View Full Version : Blank found logs

Gob-ler
12-09-2010, 07:16 PM
Just recently I received a blank found log. What are your thoughts on this sort of thing? My first response is a note asking for a proper log. Then possibly a deleted log.

WhereRWe?
12-09-2010, 07:29 PM
Just recently I received a blank found log. What are your thoughts on this sort of thing? My first response is a note asking for a proper log. Then possibly a deleted log.

As one who is not noted for extensive log entries, I'm inclined to ignore blank logs.

Perhaps it's an error - someone clicked on a button too early?

And it's rare that someone wouldn't even leave a "TFTC" entry. I'd ignore it. (But I'm also curious enough to check this person's other log entries to see if this is a pattern... :D:D)

brdad
12-09-2010, 07:53 PM
If they found the cache and signed the log in the cache, it's a find in my book.

Can you leave a blank log? I just tried it and it would not let me. I could not even just use spaces.

I have left only a smiley before, but never nothing. If someone wrote a log in white text, you would not see it on the cache page (but would in your email.)

Seems odd, maybe there is a glitch in the system. Care to share the GCID?

cano
12-09-2010, 07:55 PM

Gob-ler
12-09-2010, 08:47 PM
Got a note back from the cacher and it seems there was some sort of glitch in the system. I believe it is corrected now.

I guess the biggest thing is that logs seem to be getting shorter and shorter. I am not a great log writer myself, but at the same time my average log length is decent.

WhereRWe?
12-10-2010, 08:04 AM
I guess the biggest thing is that logs seem to be getting shorter and shorter. I am not a great log writer myself, but at the same time my average log length is decent.

We've had this discussion many times, and I think that a lot of people agree with me that the quality of the log entry is directly proportional to the quality of the cache.

With so many "park and grab" caches these days, I like the "log and dash" type of log entry. LOL! :D:D

brdad
12-10-2010, 08:28 AM
We've had this discussion many times, and I think that a lot of people agree with me that the quality of the log entry is directly proportional to the quality of the cache.

It is a shame when it takes longer to write a log for a cache than it did for the placer to throw it out the window and mark the coords on the way by! :D

cano
12-10-2010, 12:16 PM
It is a shame when it takes longer to write a log for a cache than it did for the placer to throw it out the window and mark the coords on the way by! :D

You don't need to do all caches, you can filter them by awesomeness rating and just do the best ones :P

brdad
12-10-2010, 01:45 PM
You don't need to do all caches, you can filter them by awesomeness rating and just do the best ones :P

Unfortunately, a large portion of the geocaching community think caches thrown on the side of the road are awesome. I can't rely on other people's ratings to determine what I consider awesome for a particular day.

cano
12-10-2010, 02:23 PM
Unfortunately, a large portion of the geocaching community think caches thrown on the side of the road are awesome. I can't rely on other people's ratings to determine what I consider awesome for a particular day.

sure, that's why you use your own algorithm. First you assign a relevancy weight to the people based on how they like/don't like caches you like/don't like. Then you scale all ratings based on this weight and pick the best one. Similar to other recommendation engines for shopping, movies, music, websites...

brdad
12-10-2010, 06:14 PM
sure, that's why you use your own algorithm. First you assign a relevancy weight to the people based on how they like/don't like caches you like/don't like. Then you scale all ratings based on this weight and pick the best one. Similar to other recommendation engines for shopping, movies, music, websites...

Great idea. Do you have a list of all the cachers who have almost no desire to do series or cache run caches or caches with no purpose other than the numbers? There has to be at least 4 or 5 of us. Somewhere!

WhereRWe?
12-10-2010, 06:27 PM
Great idea. Do you have a list of all the cachers who have almost no desire to do series or cache run caches or caches with no purpose other than the numbers? There has to be at least 4 or 5 of us. Somewhere!

Add me to the list! LOL!

JustKev
12-10-2010, 07:46 PM
Add me to the list! LOL!

Me too!!!!!!!!!!!

surfacewarrior
12-10-2010, 08:22 PM
you can add me to that list. If I can't get my geo-pooch out of the jeep and go for a hike it's not a lot of fun for me. I have done a few park and grab's but they are mostly on the way to another cache or while waiting for my better half at a rest area. one thing I have learned though in the few weeks I have been on geocachingMaine is that there are a lot of reasons to enjoy geocaching. some like the tech side of it , some like the numbers , some the challenges , and some the relaxation that going on a good outing in the woods gives them. It's great that it is an addiction that can satisfy so many people's different obsessions.

team barbieri
12-10-2010, 09:01 PM
caches with no purpose other than the numbers?:confused:

Stud Mill Road. A power run. That series had meaning for me other than numbers. 30 Years ago I grew up going to deer lake with my family. Back then you could not drive a car in there. Camping by the lake, exploring logging roads in the back woods of Maine. Seeing the wildlife and History of old mills out in the middle of the woods. Thanksgiving dinner cooked over a fire with snow on the ground. Those were all very happy memories for me and doing stud mill road brought back alot of those memories. It was much much more than a power run, probably why we did not get them all. Everyone has different taste and goals when it comes to geocaching but to generalize certain thing like a power run is just for the numbers.....well Its jut not a true statement for everyone. I enjoy a Hile through the woods to a spectacular view or great waterfalls just as much, Yet I have stopped at a gaurd rail on a road I have driven by over and over but could not see down the bak at a winding river flowing over the rocks. another view I would not have seen without a simple park and grab gaurd rail. That is the best thing about this game.....You never know what you are going to find unless you stop and look.:)

team barbieri
12-10-2010, 09:03 PM
:confused:

Stud Mill Road. A power run. That series had meaning for me other than numbers. 30 Years ago I grew up going to deer lake with my family. Back then you could not drive a car in there. Camping by the lake, exploring logging roads in the back woods of Maine. Seeing the wildlife and History of old mills out in the middle of the woods. Thanksgiving dinner cooked over a fire with snow on the ground. Those were all very happy memories for me and doing stud mill road brought back alot of those memories. It was much much more than a power run, probably why we did not get them all. Everyone has different taste and goals when it comes to geocaching but to generalize certain thing like a power run is just for the numbers.....well Its jut not a true statement for everyone. I enjoy a Hile through the woods to a spectacular view or great waterfalls just as much, Yet I have stopped at a gaurd rail on a road I have driven by over and over but could not see down the bak at a winding river flowing over the rocks. another view I would not have seen without a simple park and grab gaurd rail. That is the best thing about this game.....You never know what you are going to find unless you stop and look.:)

Now if geocaching could just teach me how to type I would be all set:D

brdad
12-10-2010, 09:43 PM
Everyone has different taste and goals when it comes to geocaching but to generalize certain thing like a power run is just for the numbers.....well Its jut not a true statement for everyone.

I am 100% in agreement with this. And I did my best in my statement to not connect power runs with caches just for the numbers. They can be two different things, and they can easily be different things to different people.

However, if there are two caches .1 mile from each other and I only have time to do one, and I know nothing else about cache A than it is either a power run cache, series cache, or a cache for only the numbers, I will choose cache B. It will not always be the best choice, but for me it is the cache with the best odds.

I always liked the SMR too, and do remember when the roads off from it were tough going. Living at Chick Hill, it was a 14 mile drive to the SMR, and it often took 4 hours, if we made it all the way at all. The last time I timed it it took me 25 minutes. There is a lot of nice country out there.

While I find this topic interesting, I am sorry to hijack the thread, sorry Gob-ler!

WhereRWe?
12-11-2010, 08:17 AM

Stud Mill Road. A power run. That series had meaning for me other than numbers.

We haven't been to this series yet, but from what we've heard, it's more than a power run. I like cache series' that are intended to "entice" people to a certain area. Getting out in the woods is, to me, always great. This series did just what it intended. :D:D

tat
12-11-2010, 10:07 AM
...Or the Charley Brown rating method: Find the ugliest, scrawny cache and find out what is truly interesting about that spot. You just never know what you might find if you change your perspective.

Fins_Up
12-11-2010, 01:29 PM
I have determined that my own awesomeness rating is very high :-)

brdad
12-11-2010, 01:33 PM
...Or the Charley Brown rating method: Find the ugliest, scrawny cache and find out what is truly interesting about that spot. You just never know what you might find if you change your perspective.

How true!
Oh wait, this is the new TL-354 guardrail all the guys at the DOT have been raving about! Maybe those used condoms and hypodermic needles are recyclable! Oh wow, this stop sign has been shot by a rare Ruger Blackhawk! Hey look, I found out where everyone dumps their hazardous waste!

You can have fun or find good in almost any location, but once again, I'll go with the better odds when I know them.

team moxiepup
12-11-2010, 01:43 PM

Count us in! We enjoy stretching our pups legs when we can, which is one of the reasons we started caching. We love seeing all kinds of interesting places and the critters who frequent the trails. There are some P&Gs that do bring you to a nice places but with so many that only bring you to a guard rail some times the truly interesting P&Gs get lost in the shuffle.
The caches tossed up in the winds and waymarked before they land don't do much for us :(

Fortunately there are oodles of caches that we have not found yet. :D

Back to Goblers thread topic, we have noticed the actual log books also are lacking in words. Mostly just date and name, a TFTC would be nice. We used to read about what folks may have seen getting to the cache... for example maybe an animal or an interesting feature that they stumbled upon that we may only read about later on line, that we may have been interested in seeing had we known that perhaps there was a fountain of youth nearby. ;)

WhereRWe?
12-11-2010, 01:49 PM
Back to Goblers thread topic, we have noticed the actual log books also are lacking in words. Mostly just date and name, a TFTC would be nice.

I used to like to read what people had traded in the cache. These used to be several threads here about the best places to get "swag" to trade - does anyone still trade items??

And travel bugs are one of our favorite facets of geocaching, but it's hard to find a cache big enough to have a cache in it, and if you do pick up a TB or coin at an event, you can;t find a cache \to put it in! LOL!

cano
12-11-2010, 03:21 PM
I used to like to read what people had traded in the cache. These used to be several threads here about the best places to get "swag" to trade - does anyone still trade items??

Only foreign coins, I quit trading maybe after my 10th find.

It's hard to find a cache big enough to have a cache in it

Yes, exactly. It's even harder to find a cache having a cache in it with another cache in it. This way when you find a cache you can geocache in it and when you find a cache you can geocache in it as well. It's like having a taco inside of a taco in a Taco Bell inside a McDonalds. :)

JustPJ66
12-12-2010, 08:17 AM
Kevin and I will trade quite often...I find it fun to go shopping for intresting trade items.....that in itself can be a challange. we try to get intresting items that kids and hopefully adults might find of intrest. ok well maybe not adults but teens anyway hehe
as far as logs go...I like long logs on my caches but I am just happy when people go and enjoy themselves. they took the time to go to the spot that I was able to show them. That is good enough for me.

surfacewarrior
12-12-2010, 05:59 PM
durring my 20 years in the Navy I picked up over 300 coins from various countries around the world and they have been in my closet (in a tupperware container hmmmmm how did that happen) collecting dust. when I was trying to get some sort of " signiture" item to place in a cache heidi came up with them and now I have made some cards to attach them to. after my first 300 or so non-micro caches I will have to do something else but we love looking through the caches at the swag. do not always take anything but try to always leave the coin.

pjpreb
12-12-2010, 06:10 PM
We carry trade items so we can beef up a cache that doesn't have much in it. One cache we went to was empty and we went back to the car to get some swag and now we try to keep some on hand in case a cache needs some goodies.

Ekidokai
12-13-2010, 01:16 AM
I am sure you have seen the odd logs made by those cell phone apps. I'm not sure if they have straightened that out yet. Those were not blank but almost as bad.

Gob-ler
12-14-2010, 04:36 PM
The cache in question was the bisson birch. A nice walk in the country of at least a mile round trip! I know, kind of hard to believe, but I actually have a couple of that type out there!