View Full Version : 1000, 1 Day, 1 Cacher!

lexmano
12-14-2010, 05:30 PM
http://www.geocaching.com/images/icons/icon_smile.gif December 13 by marcipanek (http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?guid=5504da20-942e-44f7-b4f2-b704cf5d2ca3) (2149 found)

Found solo all 1021 caches plus 2 extras. ET 1 found at 1:40 am and ET 1021 found at 11:55 pm. I will post more later. Signed all the logs with capital M in the circle. Thanks to COs for the effort which went into this series.

Way to go Petr!:D

dubord207
12-14-2010, 05:37 PM
Amazing achievement no matter how you feel about a run like that!

So Paul, are you going to ask which one he liked the best?

So Brdad, are you going to say in so many words that you don't "embrace" this type of caching?

So Dan, am I going to be critical of serial logging on that bunch of finds?

Nah, just accept it as it is...a monster day of caching!:D:D:D

lexmano
12-14-2010, 06:09 PM
so paul, are you going to ask which one he liked the best?

the last one!!!

JustKev
12-14-2010, 06:14 PM
While I'm not one to have a desire to do a run for numbers, I will acknowledge the effort taken for this incredible day of caching. Very impressive, indeed.

EMSDanel
12-14-2010, 06:31 PM
Just standing up to get out of the car that many times in a day is amazing..... wow

vicbiker
12-14-2010, 07:07 PM
Awesome achievement...

team moxiepup
12-14-2010, 09:10 PM
Crazy craziness!!!:eek:
Nice Job Petr!

pm28570
12-15-2010, 09:12 AM
Amazing achievement no matter how you feel about a run like that!

So Paul, are you going to ask which one he liked the best?

So Brdad, are you going to say in so many words that you don't "embrace" this type of caching?

So Dan, am I going to be critical of serial logging on that bunch of finds?

Nah, just accept it as it is...a monster day of caching!:D:D:D
For some of us, it's unimaginable. Now....to do it solo, even more so. Think about this for a moment; no one to assist with navigation, no one to plan/plot/scheme, each one requires an in/out of the vehicle...the list goes on. With that said, whether we cache for the hike, the view, the challenge of solving a puzzle or the most in a single day, this is quite an accomplishment.
Favorite one? I think Ed may have hit it, the last one. Certainly most are just a blur but I would wager (see how I worked that one in?) there are some that stick in Petr's mind.
In discussions previous, I've offered my reasons for caching, which aren't numbers based. However, I can see the enjoyment of a team effort on something like this.
Dan, I was just out there a month ago for business.....one of my favorite cities....., wish I could do this with you. Now, if we can just get you out of Vegas long enough to hit the ET trail!

attroll
12-15-2010, 01:09 PM
I don't see where is shows they did 1,000 in a day. Where does it show that?

lexmano
12-15-2010, 04:20 PM
I don't see where is shows they did 1,000 in a day. Where does it show that?

Rick,

He is waiting until he gets home to start all his logging. He only slept for an hour when he got back to Vegas and then went caching out by the Hoover Dam.

I am told he has been caching today and is making plans to find some when he lays over in Newark as he flies home tonight.

Ed

Here is the link to the GS Forum page which is discussing this also. There is a SPOT map from the mid-point in the posts.

http://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=265314&hl=marcipanek

brdad
12-15-2010, 08:15 PM

Nah, I'll just say a few years ago I did the Appalachian trail down and then back. Of course, I did it by plane, but 4350 miles is 4350 miles, right? :D

dubord207
12-15-2010, 08:55 PM
Now that's a great and funny response!! Liked that one Dave in spite of my efforts to draw out a more sardonic response! Merry Christmas my friend!:)

Nah, I'll just say a few years ago I did the Appalachian trail down and then back. Of course, I did it by plane, but 4350 miles is 4350 miles, right? :D

attroll
12-15-2010, 10:19 PM
I just cannot fathom this. I am not saying that he did not do it. Like someone said getting in an out of a car 1.000 is a chore in itself. Try getting in and out of you car 1,000 times in one day. That would take a hours to do just parked in one spot, let alone finding caches. I am sure he did not have to get in and out of his car 1,000 times but just sit back and think about it, find 1,000 caches and how long it would take.

brdad
12-15-2010, 10:45 PM
Rick, from what I gather from people who have done the caches, they are all hidden the same way, on the same side of the road. That nearly eliminates the hunt time. The series is designed so people can find a lot in a short time. Many are using non-standard ways of logging them, like replacing the film can with another which has been previously logged. Some caches of this type people have stuck stickers on the outside of the film can instead of signing the log. Who knows, some may figure if they stop at each location it is good enough, it's not like the owner verifies the logs. Also, they are considering one day 24 hours. These are not found in a manner in which we are used to. Doing it alone has to be considerable harder, but I imagine it can be done by someone determined enough.

Mainiac1957
12-16-2010, 05:27 AM
Rick, from what I gather from people who have done the caches, they are all hidden the same way, on the same side of the road. That nearly eliminates the hunt time. The series is designed so people can find a lot in a short time. Many are using non-standard ways of logging them, like replacing the film can with another which has been previously logged. Some caches of this type people have stuck stickers on the outside of the film can instead of signing the log. Who knows, some may figure if they stop at each location it is good enough, it's not like the owner verifies the logs. Also, they are considering one day 24 hours. These are not found in a manner in which we are used to. Doing it alone has to be considerable harder, but I imagine it can be done by someone determined enough.

And Petr is certainly determined enough. He is a machine....;)

pm28570
12-16-2010, 09:46 AM
I just cannot fathom this. I am not saying that he did not do it. Like someone said getting in an out of a car 1.000 is a chore in itself. Try getting in and out of you car 1,000 times in one day. That would take a hours to do just parked in one spot, let alone finding caches. I am sure he did not have to get in and out of his car 1,000 times but just sit back and think about it, find 1,000 caches and how long it would take.

There are 1440 minutes in a day. 1023 caches would be approximately 1.4 caches per minute.

attroll
12-16-2010, 10:35 AM
There are 1440 minutes in a day. 1023 caches would be approximately 1.4 caches per minute.If that is correct and the caches have to be placed 1/4 mile apart. Then he should be in the Olympics :)

cano
12-16-2010, 11:18 AM
There are 1440 minutes in a day. 1023 caches would be approximately 1.4 caches per minute.

It's the other way 1.4 minutes per cache. But still, quite remarkable.

brdad
12-16-2010, 11:56 AM
If that is correct and the caches have to be placed 1/4 mile apart. Then he should be in the Olympics :)

The caches can be placed .1 mile apart. At 10 MPH average, it would take 36 seconds 10 drive .1 mile. subtract that from 85 seconds per cache and you have 49 seconds to stop at the cache and do whatever you do to consider it a find. And that's not counting food or pee breaks or gas stops.

What makes these accomplishments hardest to understand is that their are no rules or standards, and there is is no verification. You just have to accept the finder did he caches in a manner that they find acceptable. You can't even compare the accomplishments of the finders of this one series, they each used their own set of rules. Does it matter? I guess it depends. My Appalachian Trail comment a few posts back was meant to be humorous, but what if I was serious? Should I expect equal credit as Rick and those others who have actually hiked it? Or maybe more credit since I did both ways in a month?

This also reminds me, several years ago I volunteered at the middle school to give a hands on science class to a group of ADHD students. One day I happened to be wearing a Stanford University t-shirt and they asked if I had gone to Stanford, to which I replied yes. And it was true, I went there while visiting CA, and bought the t-shirt that day. I wonder if that means I could put that I went there in my résumé? I'll just say I attended under my own terms. :p

cano
12-16-2010, 12:25 PM
The caches can be placed .1 mile apart. At 10 MPH average, it would take 36 seconds 10 drive .1 mile. subtract that from 85 seconds per cache and you have 49 seconds to stop at the cache and do whatever you do to consider it a find. And that's not counting food or pee breaks or gas stops.

What makes these accomplishments hardest to understand is that their are no rules or standards, and there is is no verification. You just have to accept the finder did he caches in a manner that they find acceptable. You can't even compare the accomplishments of the finders of this one series, they each used their own set of rules. Does it matter? I guess it depends. My Appalachian Trail comment a few posts back was meant to be humorous, but what if I was serious? Should I expect equal credit as Rick and those others who have actually hiked it? Or maybe more credit since I did both ways in a month?

This also reminds me, several years ago I volunteered at the middle school to give a hands on science class to a group of ADHD students. One day I happened to be wearing a Stanford University t-shirt and they asked if I had gone to Stanford, to which I replied yes. And it was true, I went there while visiting CA, and bought the t-shirt that day. I wonder if that means I could put that I went there in my résumé? I'll just say I attended under my own terms. :p

If you think it will help you you should put it to your resume.
Why do you need to compare something? Play how you like it. Don't like it? Don't do it then.
Even if everybody played according the same rules (brdad rules of course) someones work schedule will allow to geocache every day all over the world and someones just one day per month within their city. Some people would be limited only to wheelchair accessible caches. How do you want to compare then?

brdad
12-16-2010, 01:00 PM
I'm the last one who wants to compare anyone's cache finds, that is the primary reason I stay away from the milestone threads, but to fully understand and recognize anyone's accomplishments it helps to have a baseline. Even then, because each of us have varying abilities, finds are never fully comparable.

cano
12-16-2010, 01:43 PM
I'm the last one who wants to compare anyone's cache finds

Yet you are always the first one whining about people doing power trails.

attroll
12-16-2010, 02:01 PM
Brdad and Cano you both have valid points. I also said I am not doubting that he did this. What it all boils down to is that anyone can say anything they want and it could or not be the truth, but that person has to live with themselves and what they did or say they have done.

brdad
12-16-2010, 02:45 PM
Yet you are always the first one whining about people doing power trails.

I'm not whining about anyone doing them. Have at them if you like. Just don't expect me to me ecstatic about your doing so. Doing 1000 of anything in a day is an accomplishment, but counting 1000 pennies pales in comparison to eating just one of Mike's baked turtles and surviving! :D:D

pm28570
12-16-2010, 04:54 PM
It's the other way 1.4 minutes per cache. But still, quite remarkable.
Then that would be less than 24 hours for 1023.

brdad
12-16-2010, 05:06 PM
Then that would be less than 24 hours for 1023.

1.4 minutes X 1023 = 1432.2 minutes
1432.2 minutes / 60 (min/hr) = 23.87 hours

Cano is correct, giving him some room to round off. 1.4076246334310850439882697947214 minutes per cache will get you a little more accuracy. :p

I figured it in seconds. There are 3600 seconds in and hour, so 3600 X 24 hours = 86400 seconds. 86400 seconds / 1023 caches = 84.5 seconds per cache, which is just over a minute.

dubord207
12-16-2010, 06:20 PM
One word: FUN!:) And that includes not only the accomplishment but the wide range of opinions about it that are also amusing!

Team2hunt
12-17-2010, 07:38 AM
I for one, think that Petr's accomplishment is amazing. Whether or not I approve of it, or would even consider doing the cache run, is irrelevant. Bickering about the details just makes those who do it, appear to be jealous. ( I'm trying to be PC here ).... :o

hollora
12-21-2010, 11:35 PM
Well, that is a run for sure. When we were in FL, I was wishing we were with cachers as there were caches everywhere - but alas, not meant to be. We even couldn't connect with Ben & Tina because of some pain issues Ralph had - but alas a good trip.

Nicely done Marcapanek!