View Full Version : Do you want to elect a new advisory board?

Advisory Board
12-23-2010, 12:16 PM
The time has come for Geocaching Maine members to decide whether they would like to retain the current board members for another term or if there should be a new election held to refresh some or all of the board members as specified in the Advisory Board Eligibility and Terms (http://www.geocachingmaine.org/index.php?page=board_eligibility).

Members should use the next few weeks to discuss this and ask any questions not answered in the Advisory Board Eligibility and Terms. There will be a poll running in the near future which will be used to decide if we will hold elections or not.

This upcoming poll is only to decide if elections will be held. In the event it is decided to hold elections, a new vote will be taken at that time. Now is not the time to nominate anyone for the board.

Please keep this thread on topic.

The current board members are:
attroll
brdad
Ekidokai
Kaching Karen
Sudonim

Board members are not necessarily moderators and moderators are not necessarily board members. Board members are elected; Rick chooses who, if any, members are moderators.

Some of the things the board has accomplished or discussed since the last elections. Bear in mind that Rick, our webmaster has been away much of this year, so there are some possible site related discussions that have not been fully followed though yet.

Additional site moderation.
Possibility of an area of the forums for geocaching-related commercial entities to promote their products.
Possibility of allowing commercial entities to pay to advertise on the site.
Using the site's geocaching.com account to host events.
Changes to the registration system to help prevent spammers from accessing the site (All new members are hand-verified now.)
Geocaching Maine Pathtags (with the help of Hide From The Kids.)
Improvements to the Articles menu on the front page.
Discussions of the financial status of the web site.
Several small site modifications.

We have also seen the turnover of one board member in the last two years. Medawisla stepped down for personal reasons and Ekidokai was chosen to fill her position.

cano
12-23-2010, 12:46 PM
Why do we need any board at all?

brdad
12-23-2010, 01:24 PM
The site would most likely function quite well without one. However, I do not think it's existence has done any harm.

I think the board does work well as a sounding board for Rick regarding modifications to the site. I have also consulted with other board members regarding the moderation rules a few times.

We have a few members who have had some great ideas to help the site out but are apprehensive about bringing up their idea to the whole world. Bring able to post those ideas to the board gives them a venue to make their proposal to a smaller group.

WhereRWe?
12-23-2010, 03:00 PM
The current board members are:
attroll
brdad
Ekidokai
Kaching Karen
Sudonim

If I'm not mistaken, as the webmaster, Rick is automatically a member of the Advisory Board. So there are actually 4 elected members. :D:D

Haffy
12-23-2010, 04:11 PM
If I'm not mistaken, as the webmaster, Rick is automatically a member of the Advisory Board. So there are actually 4 elected members. :D:D

You are correctomundo!!!!!

WhereRWe?
12-23-2010, 05:21 PM
You are correctomundo!!!!!

Sheesh! That's right! We threw you off the board when you emigrated! LOL!

:p:p

Ekidokai
12-23-2010, 06:20 PM
Fled or emigrated?

WhereRWe?
12-23-2010, 06:31 PM
Fled or emigrated?

Emigrated - he left voluntarily. couldn;t stand these Maine winters, I guess.

:D:D

Ekidokai
12-23-2010, 06:33 PM
Couldn't complain about this one so far.

Haffy
12-23-2010, 07:14 PM
Emigrated - he left voluntarily. couldn;t stand these Maine winters, I guess.

It was a call to duty....ie, a job....LOL Not quite as old as you yet where I can retire...LOL

EMSDanel
12-23-2010, 07:37 PM
"The time has come for Geocaching Maine members to decide whether they would like to retain the current board members for another term or if there should be a new election held to refresh some or all of the board members"

Help me out here: Are elections held whenever people feel like having them? Or do board members have specific terms, like 2 years. If there are specific term lengths, then it's really very simple. That person can run again or others can throw their name into the fray as well. Just like electing town selectmen. Stagger the terms....each year three people come up for re-election, etc.

WhereRWe?
12-23-2010, 08:08 PM
Help me out here: Are elections held whenever people feel like having them? Or do board members have specific terms, like 2 years.

Brdad will remember better than I will, but as I recall, we established the board for a 2-year term, after which all board members could throw their names out for reelection, and anyone else interested could volunteer to be a candidate.

Seems to work for me... :D:D

Haffy
12-23-2010, 08:11 PM
Brdad will remember better than I will, but as I recall, we established the board for a 2-year term, after which all board members could throw their names out for reelection, and anyone else interested could volunteer to be a candidate.

Seems to work for me... :D:D

http://www.geocachingmaine.org/index.php?page=board_eligibility

brdad
12-23-2010, 08:24 PM
Advisory Board members terms shall be in two year intervals ending December of even numbered years, and will be up for review at that time.

The current system was set up to not waste member's time if they were happy with the current board members. There is likely no need to hold elections every year, or even every two years for that matter since he board does not make life or finance altering decisions like elected government officials do. This preliminary poll allows the members to make that decision, but the entire board is up for review - excepting Rick as Bruce stated, since he has to have the final say in crucial site related decisions.

WhereRWe?
12-24-2010, 08:17 AM
The current system was set up to not waste member's time if they were happy with the current board members. There is likely no need to hold elections every year,

Now that we've got that established, I really see no need for elections this year as all the board members are respected cachers whose views are well known, and there is nothing going wrong with the site that I can see.

JustKev
12-25-2010, 08:26 AM
Now that we've got that established, I really see no need for elections this year as all the board members are respected cachers whose views are well known, and there is nothing going wrong with the site that I can see.

Agreed. Especially the "nothing going wrong" part.

NativeMainer
12-25-2010, 10:48 AM
For some reason, this is sticking in my mind a bit, so if I'm wrong or off base a bit, someone please correct me or call me on it. Somehow I remember there being a bit of contention that there's virtually no representation on the board from the southern part of the state. By no means do I want to make this a "north vs south" type of discussion, but it might be nice to get some perspective from different areas of the state on some occasions.

I don't know anybody on the board personally, save for Andy (we went to Hampden Academy together, I was two years ahead of him, we were on the chess team and hung out in the same little clique together). Having said that, I have absolutely no problem with the way things stand now, as they seem to be running pretty smoothly, and I have no problems with anyone on the board or any of the members here.

brdad
12-25-2010, 11:11 AM
What do you define southern Maine as? Kaching Karen is from the Augusta area and Attroll is in Litchfield. At one time we had a board member from the Portland area. Currently 3 board members are in the Bangor area. There has never been a board member north of Bangor.

NativeMainer
12-25-2010, 11:22 AM
Portland area.

WhereRWe?
12-25-2010, 12:57 PM
For some reason, this is sticking in my mind a bit, so if I'm wrong or off base a bit, someone please correct me or call me on it. Somehow I remember there being a bit of contention that there's virtually no representation on the board from the southern part of the state.

I saw what Brdad said in response to this comment, and want to add that when the idea of an Advisory board was first floated, one prominent cacher from the "mid-coast" (Belfast?) area was actively involved in the planning/discussion as well. The board member we had from Portland resigned for personal reasons, otherwise would probably still be on the board.

EMSDanel
12-25-2010, 09:52 PM
The current system was set up to not waste member's time if they were happy with the current board members. There is likely no need to hold elections every year, or even every two years for that matter since he board does not make life or finance altering decisions like elected government officials do. This preliminary poll allows the members to make that decision, but the entire board is up for review - excepting Rick as Bruce stated, since he has to have the final say in crucial site related decisions.

Well, at the risk of offending everyone on this forum, I have to say "What a rag-tag system that is!" If you have Rick as the organization's systems manager I'm all for that. But with 4 additional members (each with 2-year terms) it would seem prudent to have 2 come up for re-election each and every year. Those people can express their desire to remain on the board when their term is up. And I'd assume we'd all feel comfortable with that.

I agree that we'd all feel lucky to have the same 4 people willing to serve on the board. But if 2 people come up for re-election each year it gives others the opportunity to toss their hat into the ring. If nobody chooses to do so, fine. But to say that it is a waste of peoples' time to do so, to me seems like a good-old-boy's continuum. You then deserve every bit of criticism that you get.

I think this forum is better than that.

Gob-ler
12-25-2010, 11:25 PM
If folks would follow through with what they said back when relative to Advisory Board and elections we would not be having this discussion.

Why would you not conduct the two year elections the way it was proposed?

I for one have no problem with who is serving now, but to not have an election of board members the way it was proposed is cutting corners and those are some might big corners that are being cut. A few people posting and saying Oh, everything seems OK just does not cut it if you ask me.

Do what you said you would do and have the nominations and election of board members!

WhereRWe?
12-26-2010, 07:52 AM
Well, at the risk of offending everyone on this forum, I have to say "What a rag-tag system that is!" If you have Rick as the organization's systems manager I'm all for that. But with 4 additional members (each with 2-year terms) it would seem prudent to have 2 come up for re-election each and every year. Those people can express their desire to remain on the board when their term is up. And I'd assume we'd all feel comfortable with that.

Sheesh! "Rag-tag system"? Sounds like the US House of Representatives - where everyone is up for election every two years. LOL!

But I agree - we should really have an election. While I think we all agree that the current board is OK, a name might come up in nomination that members would prefer to one of the current members. :D:D

Mainiac1957
12-26-2010, 08:18 AM
I wouldn't mind being on for a term this go around.

dubord207
12-26-2010, 08:22 AM
Ok, and I'll volunteer to serve as your campaign manager but there will be no roadside campaign signs!:)

Mainiac1957
12-26-2010, 08:29 AM
Ok, and I'll volunteer to serve as your campaign manager but there will be no roadside campaign signs!:)

That's fine Dan, as I have a face for radio anyway:rolleyes:

WhereRWe?
12-26-2010, 09:04 AM

Consider yourself nominated! LOL! :D:D

brdad
12-26-2010, 09:18 AM
It's really as simple as that - if you want there to be a vote, there will be. So far, every cycle the members have opted for an election. It may be a wacky setup, but it works.

As Gob-ler stated, if you have issues with the system take that up with the board at a different time and all members can vote on changing it. We can decide to have no board, elections every week, only southern board members, or anything else. But it's not right to change the system during the election period.

hollora
12-26-2010, 09:19 AM

And if a second it required - consider it done!

firefighterjake
12-26-2010, 09:37 AM

And if elected Maniac will promise a Garmin Oregon in every pot!;):D

Haffy
12-26-2010, 12:32 PM
It's really as simple as that - if you want there to be a vote, there will be. So far, every cycle the members have opted for an election. It may be a wacky setup, but it works.

only southern board members.

Did you say southern board members?....LOL

brdad
12-26-2010, 08:08 PM
Did you say southern board members?....LOL

Sure. Antarctica if the majority wants to agree with it.

lexmano
12-27-2010, 10:54 AM
Chadd Roper (Serious Tool) has consented to allow me to nominate him to serve on the board.

Chadd is a fearless advocate who loves geocaching and abhors hypocrisy and double standards. His contributions to geocaching in Southern Maine cannot be questioned and his seriousness of purpose is known to all.

I endorse his candidacy.

Ed

surfacewarrior
12-27-2010, 12:02 PM
(Serious Tool) has consented to allow me to nominate him to serve on the board.

Ed
:rolleyes::rolleyes: I thought he was one of the reasons we had a board and moderators:D:D:D

brdad
12-27-2010, 01:22 PM
This is not the thread to nominate, but at least it is ensuring a few are interested in stepping up.

While some may argue Chadd does not meet eligibility, IMO having an opinion is one of the best traits of a board member, along with availability.

lexmano
12-27-2010, 03:04 PM

you have a conflict!:eek: Unless you have terminated your representation of Chadd in a manner consistent with the Maine Bar Rules.:D

Brad, you may need another campaign manager!:) Unless Chadd knowingly waives the conflict.

Just trying to keep you out of trouble Dan!

CARoperPhotography
12-27-2010, 05:08 PM
This is not the thread to nominate, but at least it is ensuring a few are interested in stepping up.

While some may argue Chadd does not meet eligibility, IMO having an opinion is one of the best traits of a board member, along with availability.

What I ask, is required to make one "eligible"?

I will say that I do have an opinion, and as you all have seen in the past few months of being back here un-moderated, I have toned down my style quite a bit. That being said.... I do know how to keep you all quite entertained as well!

Availability maybe an issue though. I work six days a week, and when I don't have a vested interest in a certain thread here, I don't log in much to take a peek. However, I could certainly spend more time on the forums.... if that's what you all want ;-)

Thank you for the compliment of a nomination Ed!:cool:

CARoperPhotography
12-27-2010, 05:11 PM
:rolleyes::rolleyes: I thought he was one of the reasons we had a board and moderators:D:D:D

You had a board and moderators WELL before I came along. Maybe I am a reason to justify STILL having a board and moderators. And if that is so, why not allow me to participate :p

CARoperPhotography
12-27-2010, 05:17 PM
you have a conflict!:eek: Unless you have terminated your representation of Chadd in a manner consistent with the Maine Bar Rules.:D

Brad, you may need another campaign manager!:) Unless Chadd knowingly waives the conflict.

Just trying to keep you out of trouble Dan!

I waive the conflict (ceremoniously waving with hand in front of MacBook). We're all friends here.... ha ha ha
:D:D:D:D:D:D

WhereRWe?
12-27-2010, 05:45 PM
You had a board and moderators WELL before I came along. Maybe I am a reason to justify STILL having a board and moderators. And if that is so, why not allow me to participate :p

As was said previously, moderators are chosen by the webmaster as he owns the website, not the members. Moderators are not a function of the Advisory Board. :D:D

brdad
12-27-2010, 07:15 PM
What I ask, is required to make one "eligible"?

WhereRWe?
12-27-2010, 07:55 PM

I don't see anything wrong with the Advisory Board parameters, but if someone has a problem with anything, I'd certainly like to hear what they have to say.

Waterski
12-27-2010, 10:13 PM
By reading the eligibility it looks like we first get polled to see if we want to keep the current board members. Have any of them decided to leave the board? If they have not, and we vote to keep them, then why would there be an opening to fill?

surfacewarrior
12-28-2010, 04:49 AM
I am so new here that I would decline to vote due to not knowing anyone yet. I just know that for the first month or so I have been very entertained by caroperphotography and ST you are quite entertaining during my 0330 break when working nights.

CARoperPhotography
12-28-2010, 01:49 PM
I don't see why I would not be eligible based on the requirements other than the question of whether or not we will be voting new board members or not.

Is there any requirement about being a native born American? Obama may have some trouble being elected if that is the case.... Has he shown a birth certificate yet? I have mine if and when needed ...

Sudonim
12-29-2010, 10:45 PM
By reading the eligibility it looks like we first get polled to see if we want to keep the current board members. Have any of them decided to leave the board? If they have not, and we vote to keep them, then why would there be an opening to fill?

The issue isn't if a member wants to leave. If we all decide to stay 20 years and nobody gets a chance to come in, this place will get pretty stuffy. There aren't any term limits, but you all have the power to "vote the bums out" if that's what the majority wants. The question right now is "Do you want a board member vote now or not." If you do, the same members may be voted in, or a completely new board (except for Rick), or a mix of new and old members. You decide.

CARoperPhotography
12-29-2010, 11:02 PM
I would like a vote for a new board now. Anyone else?

hollora
12-30-2010, 12:28 AM
So much I would like to say, so little reason to bother................

Hiram357
12-30-2010, 07:25 AM
So much I would like to say, so little reason to bother................

heh, the site needs a "like button" like on facebook... :D;):rolleyes:

firefighterjake
12-30-2010, 08:26 AM
I have no issues . . . well with this Board . . . but I still think it's a good idea to open things up for a vote on a regular basis.

WhereRWe?
12-30-2010, 08:33 AM
I have no issues . . . well with this Board . . . but I still think it's a good idea to open things up for a vote on a regular basis.

VOTE! VOTE! VOTE! VOTE! :eek:

firefighterjake
12-30-2010, 08:34 AM
VOTE! VOTE! VOTE! VOTE! :eek:

I did . . . did . . . did . . . did. ;)

CARoperPhotography
12-30-2010, 07:25 PM
TOGA! TOGA! TOGA! TOGA....! I mean VOTE! VOTE! VOTE! VOTE! VOTE!

I have my own reasons.

I'd like to see the board member's private forum opened for all the members of the site to see. Administration of Transparency!

brdad
12-30-2010, 08:47 PM
Let's keep on topic!
And save any mudslinging and accusations to email or other venues.

If you have not voted yet, please do so in this thread: Advisory Board Election Poll (http://www.geocachingmaine.org/forum/showthread.php?t=5011)

WhereRWe?
12-31-2010, 08:26 AM
Let's keep on topic!
And save any mudslinging and accusations to email or other venues.

I'm disappointed that you cut these posts, Dave. I really would like to know if there is any substance to CARoper's accusations of misconduct on the part of an Advisory Board member. :(:(

brdad
12-31-2010, 08:37 AM
I'm disappointed that you cut these posts, Dave. I really would like to know if there is any substance to CARoper's accusations of misconduct on the part of an Advisory Board member. :(:(

I understand, but this is not the thread to do it in. If a separate thread can be conducted in an adult manner, go for it. We do/did not need to wait for an election to discuss any Board Member's change in eligibility.