View Full Version : Geocoin, Tracking Bug and Pathtag etiquette (sp?)

dufzor
01-02-2011, 03:28 AM
Curious about the pick up of pathtags, coins and bugs. I know that when I find a cache, I can move bugs and coins and trade for tags. I think that its okay to stop by a cache I have found previously and drop off a bug or coin to move it along. But what about going back to a cache I have already found, maybe months before, and trading for a tag or picking up a coin or tag to move it? Would appreciate some input. TY :confused::)

dubord207
01-02-2011, 08:23 AM
There may not be 100% agreement here, but this is how we do it.

First, it's nice to trade TB's. This keeps a cache well stocked. But.....sometimes I have grabbed TB's without trading that in effect been marooned by being placed in hard to get to places, or caches that just are for any reason just not found that much. Then there are GRC caches that are large enough to hold TB's that you know will be buried for 3 months in the winter. Under those circumstances, grabbing a TB without trading is ok IMHO.

When you grab a TB, please read the mission that CO wrote when the TB was placed in circulation. If the goal of the coin is to go north, then don't take it to the Caribean.

Last on my list of TB thoughts is how long you keep it. If you've had it for more then a couple of weeks, make an effort to place it but when you're choosing a cache container, read the prior logs about the cache. Is this a cache that finders have noted is lacking TB's that are still showing at being in the cache? Is this a cache that receives less then positive reviews or gets hijacked a lot? Is it a cache that people describe as "being out in the open?"

TB's can be fun but personally I find it annoying to send emails to cachers I have never met asking why they have kept one of my TB's for 6 months without putting it somewhere. I made the decision last year that the best use of the several hundred coins I have is simply to give them away to fellow cachers and have made a habit of doing so at events. Seems better to do it this way rather then have them simply misappropriated which unfortunately has become too common.

WhereRWe?
01-02-2011, 08:31 AM
But what about going back to a cache I have already found, maybe months before, and trading for a tag or picking up a coin or tag to move it? Would appreciate some input. TY :confused::)

Go for it!

We often do this, with the view that tags/coins/etc are meant to be moved, not sitting in a cache. There's a cache just a couple of miles from us that I keep an eye on - the nearest cache with any size to it, LOL! - and if a trackable has been there for a few weeks, we'll stop by and pick it up (especially in winter).

Haffy
01-03-2011, 10:54 AM
Don't do like I did a couple of years ago and forget that you put a TB in your backpack for almost 2 years...LOL I did finally get it going again when cleaning out my pack and then I haven't heard from it since.

shuman road searchers
01-03-2011, 03:54 PM
or do not be like Dubord and pick mine up and then put it one of 16 caching bags and NEVER bring that bag with you caching for an entire year! After a gentle nudge he did however move it along. I just had to Dan!

fins2right
01-09-2011, 11:03 AM
Don't do like I did a couple of years ago and forget that you put a TB in your backpack for almost 2 years...LOL I did finally get it going again when cleaning out my pack and then I haven't heard from it since.

I've done that. Twice. I felt awful. The first one was a small coin that slipped to the bottom of my geo-bag. I found it a year later. The second was a TB that I found in the bottom of my kids toybox. I usually send a message to the owner and release it as soon as possible. oops.