View Full Version : Kayak kache event

attroll
06-19-2005, 04:36 PM
wbdent We have been debating on another cache event already. This event would be an overnighter kayak trip to one of the Maine islands. After talking to people at this past cache event we think that Jewell Island would be a good choice. We have come up with two dates of when we could host the event. The dates are July 23 - 24 and August 20 – 21.

wbdent We would like some feedback from others that are interested in attending this event. I know we had about 8 people interested in doing this. So hopefully those same 8 people and more will reply to this thread. This event does not have to be on Jewell Island. We picked that one because that is the one everyone seemed interested in. If there is another one then please suggest it.

wbdent We also need some information on where we can park and put our kayaks in at. If anyone has any ideas or suggestions please let us know. We want to put in as close as possible to the island to make the trip fairly short.\

Team2hunt
06-19-2005, 05:09 PM
The July weekend for me is out, but the August I'm on vacation and is ok. What about the ones without a kayak? Can we meet on land somewhere, maybe another island and more people, can participate? There are a few caches out there. Then we launch and have the overnight. Maybe even convert a few to the sport of kayaking. Great idea. I'm in and maybe by then my navigator too.

d’76
06-19-2005, 05:24 PM
Team2Hunt,

Did I here you say that you thought about doing island caches with a wave runner. Could those be used in the ocean. I would recommend any means of watercraft for this event. I think at least on person should have a powered watercraft in the event some one gets hurt and needs top get out in a hurry. I have one spare kayak.

Dave1976

Team2hunt
06-19-2005, 05:29 PM
Team2Hunt,

Did I here you say that you thought about doing island caches with a wave runner. Could those be used in the ocean.

Dave1976
The team loves the water, and ALL it's sports. We have both. And can come up with an extra kayak. You can put the watercaft in the salt water, but I'd hate to.We'll kayak,safely. :D :D

attroll
06-19-2005, 05:49 PM
wbdent We have been debating on another cache event already. This event would be an overnighter kayak trip to one of the Maine islands. After talking to people at this past cache event we think that Jewell Island would be a good choice. We have come up with two dates of when we could host the event. The dates are July 23 - 24 and August 20 – 21.

wbdent We would like some feedback from others that are interested in attending this event. I know we had about 8 people interested in doing this. So hopefully those same 8 people and more will reply to this thread. This event does not have to be on Jewell Island. We picked that one because that is the one everyone seemed interested in. If there is another one then please suggest it.

wbdent We also need some information on where we can park and put our kayaks in at. If anyone has any ideas or suggestions please let us know. We want to put in as close as possible to the island to make the trip fairly short.

Beach Comber
06-19-2005, 07:04 PM
Though I don't kayak, I must say that I know from many friends that the paddle to Jewell is a great trip. AND get this............ you will paddle right by Long Island on the way!!! I have two caches there and there is another on Little Chebeague which is also close to Jewell, another at Fort Gorgeous and one on Peaks Island. If the timing is right, perhaps you could take a break at Long Island for my caches and I could meet you with some treats and cool beverages!

lefty
06-19-2005, 07:14 PM
would love to... no kayak... if I could go with someone I'd be in...

Lefty

attroll
06-19-2005, 07:53 PM
I turned this into a poll also so if you go to the top of the thread then you can vote.

tat
06-19-2005, 09:13 PM
I can go on either weekend.

East Beach is a great place to launch, but I don't think they allow overnight parking at the launch.

It would be a very good idea to leave early in the morning, both on the to and from the island as the Casco Bay gets very crouded on the week ends in summer. The winds are also usually calmer in the morning.

lefty
06-20-2005, 05:39 AM
Cant vote in the pole.

brdad
06-20-2005, 05:51 AM
Wow, having only kayaked 2 times and looking at the map, I don't think I'd want to do that all the way to Jewell. Long Island was what, 45 minutes by ferry? And there's still another 3 miles to go!

But, if the event is held, I'd of course see if I could improvise any way I could to make it.

Forest_Nymph
06-20-2005, 07:50 AM
Cant vote in the pole.
me either...:(

Haffy
06-20-2005, 08:34 AM
So Rick,how do we vote....lol ?

attroll
06-20-2005, 11:59 AM
Cant vote in the pole.
Woops. Sorry about that everyone. I fixed it.

tat
06-20-2005, 06:36 PM
At the event, we talked about Warren Island and Jewel Island and thought Jewel would be best because of the crossing at Warren can be a bit tough.

Bu, I forgot about a couple of other places that might be even easier than Jewel.

Swan Island (across from Richmond) is a great place. You can kayak to the island, but, if you don't have a boat, they will ferry your gear out to the island. They charge $8 a night and it is well worth it. We have to have less than 60 people :)

I know of another island, not far from Bath, that is privately owned and has a long history of local use. I'd rather not post the name or coords since it is only by the good nature of the owner that anyone can use it. It is a very easy and short trip.

Another posibility is Bo's Island. I have not been there yet, but there is a cache there and the cache owner mentions an overnight party that happens in the fall.

If we have a smaller group, 8 or less, then there are several other options.

Kaching Karen
06-20-2005, 06:39 PM
I can go either weekend. Launching is nice from East End Beach, but you do need to park up on the side roads. There is no overnight parking at the launch. It's also not a beginner paddle from there.
There is overnight camping on Little Chebeque and that's an interesting island. We once had to stay there rather than head out to Jewell because of the weather. Actually, both islands are a lot of fun to explore.
Warren Island is also a nice lsland. There is a mile + crossing that can be a bit tricky, but the beginners in the bunch can cross on the ferry and then scoot over to the island.
I have a spare 12' kayak. Good little boat, but not really made for ocean crossings. (Even though I have done it several times).

Sudonim
06-20-2005, 07:54 PM
As of right now, both weekends are open. I have a big enough boat that I'd feel comfortable going to any island we pick.

Pooh and friends
06-20-2005, 08:24 PM
You may want to rethink Jewell, espically if there are a few not used to the open water end of it. Ben Island in Quahog bay is nice (and sheltered) and does afford some interesting side trips. There are plenty of eagles and osprey to watch. You may want to contact MITA, Maine Island Trail Association for more ideas as they are the stewards for many of the islands open to the public along the coast.

Cache'n Jacksons
06-20-2005, 09:37 PM
Good point, Pooh, about inexperienced kayakers! What looks like only this far |<--->| on the map is a looooong way on the water! :) We've paddled around Newcastle, NH in the tidal areas, but never out in the open ocean. I like TAT's idea of having a ferry as a backup for people uncomfortable with ocean crossings, or someone with a power boat, at least. We don't own kayaks but could borrow a couple for the August date. I would be comfortable paddling in the ocean, and perhaps the kids but Donna might be wary.

In GSAK I did a search for all caches in Maine with the word "island" in the description. From Kennebunkport to Bar Harbor I count about 20 caches along the coast on roughly 15 islands without bridges to the mainland. Some of those, like Monhegan Island, are non-kayakable. I've done the cache on Little Chebague (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=e81c1ded-e395-4d8f-b3b3-8b633f2b9351) which was a lot of fun (and a lot of walking!), but have no knowledge of the conditions on the other islands.

attroll
06-21-2005, 02:50 AM
I could not find Bo's Island. Where is that?

Monhegan Island is over a 11 mile paddle in open water. I would not be in for that.

Swan Island is only 50 yards to paddle to from the launch that would not be a very long paddle.

My idea was to hit the islands in the Portland area with the caches and knock those out. Is there camping on Little Chebeque Island or Chebeque Island. That might be and option. I was thinking of trying to hit the following caches on that weekend.
Peak's Island Rock Park (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=8575615d-f6b2-4d56-806a-66624c9333ea)
Fort Gorges (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=b4210ea0-4b92-4013-bafe-df0d24c558b1)
Wreck Cove (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=b4210ea0-4b92-4013-bafe-df0d24c558b1)
We don't need no education (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=df407545-6396-4a73-b48f-1161c66eccd3)
Water Walker (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=e81c1ded-e395-4d8f-b3b3-8b633f2b9351)

This was just what I was thinking. We don't have to stick to this. Just throwing it out there.

tat
06-21-2005, 06:46 AM
GCGDN3 is called Bo's island. The island is not!

Swan Island is a bit further by boat because they do not allow landing at the same place as the ferry. You need to paddle to the other side of the island.

Little Chebeague also has camping, but I think it has less capacity. It doesn't look like we have too many people as of now, so that may be a good option.

I personally love the idea of going to Jewel. I haven't been there and it's a good way to get those missing caches!

It just isn't a good place for inexperienced kayakers unless conditions are perfect. At the very minimum, everyone who goes out there should be able to perform some type of self rescue, like a paddle float rescue.

A chase boat would really add to safety.

One more thing about Jewel, if you are expecting a quiet, personal island experience, you will be disappointed. Everyone who I've talked to says that it is a bit like going to the circus. I love the circus!

Cache'n Jacksons
06-21-2005, 07:07 AM
The Bo's Island (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=aa673f8d-a35a-4acc-8a27-7274deed34eb) cache is really on Trott Island across from Cape Porpoise, down near Kennebunkport. The cache description mentions camping on the island. I didn't see any official camping places on either Chebeague island, but there are plenty of grassy areas on Little Chebeague near the abandoned houses.

I found two Swans Islands in Maine. I did not see any caches on the one TAT was referring to (but we could change that!:)). The other Swans Island is about 3 miles SW of Mt. Desert Island and contains 4 caches. There would be a lot of walking to get them all, probably 13-15 miles on land. Probably too far north for what you were intending.

The list of Casco Bay caches sounds good. One of them, We don't need no Education (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=df407545-6396-4a73-b48f-1161c66eccd3), is doable on foot after parking on the island. It's a nice walk and a fun find, and it could easily be done by boat/kayak.

TwoMaineiacs
06-21-2005, 08:30 AM
I'm not a kayaker but spent many days out in Casco Bay in a former life. Used to go out a lot in an 21' wooden power boat. The passage between Great Chebeague Island and Long Island can be very dangerous especially at tide change out. The natural harbor at the north end of Jewell is known as "The Punch Bowl". Boaters used to raft overnight there and it could get a bit rowdy. If it isn't a mirror flat day, the waters out that way can get very rough. Don't know who owns Lanes Island off of Fogg's Point in Freeport N43 47.167 W70 7.730 but have had great picnics there. Someone might contact LL Bean and see if they would allow kayaks to be put in at their kayak center up on Flying Point in Freeport and park overnight. http://www.llbean.com/outdoorsOnline/odp/paddling/index.html

Haffy
06-21-2005, 09:05 AM
The cache "we don't need no education" is located on Mackworth Island which can be reached by car out on the causeway. I have done that one and the walk around the island is very nice.

attroll
06-21-2005, 11:55 AM
I personally love the idea of going to Jewel. I haven't been there and it's a good way to get those missing caches!

It just isn't a good place for inexperienced kayakers unless conditions are perfect. At the very minimum, everyone who goes out there should be able to perform some type of self rescue, like a paddle float rescue.

A chase boat would really add to safety.

One more thing about Jewel, if you are expecting a quiet, personal island experience, you will be disappointed. Everyone who I've talked to says that it is a bit like going to the circus. I love the circus!I really like the idea of Jewell Island also because like I said we could hit all the caches on all the islands on the way out and back. But like TAT said it may not be good for inexperienced kayakers. I don't even know if my experienced is what TAT thinks I should be at. I have only done rivers, ponds and lakes in my kayak.

Tat maybe you could elaberate more on what we need for experience?

attroll
06-21-2005, 12:03 PM
Someone might contact LL Bean and see if they would allow kayaks to be put in at their kayak center up on Flying Point in Freeport and park overnight. http://www.llbean.com/outdoorsOnline/odp/paddling/index.html
That is a good idea but after looking at the map and see how far it is to paddle from Flying Point to these caches and the island I don't think that would be a good idea.

tat
06-21-2005, 08:57 PM
Tat maybe you could elaborate more on what we need for experience?

One could write a book about this! In fact, there are many. If I was to choose just one, it would be "Sea Kayaker, Deep Trouble". It is a collection of accident reports followed by "lessons learned".

There is no magic answer to this question. For every scenario one person can describe, another person can easily show that they "do it all the time and nothing bad ever happened". So, I'll just say that you should: 1. Be aware of what can go wrong. 2. Have a practiced plan to avoid the dangers.

Some of the things that can go wrong:
Drowning caused by:
Hypothermia
Trauma
Exhaustion

Collision with:
boats
rocks
ocean bottom
sea life

It is easy to think that equipment alone will keep you safe, but if you haven't tried to use any particular piece of equipment is to use it first. Perhaps the best way to explain it is to say that the more familiar you are with more safety equipment, the more likely you will be to have fun and not tragedy.

You can reduce the risk of hypothermia by dressing for immersion, a wet or dry suit. (Both can be uncomfortable in 90 degree weather and either can fail) You can stay out of the water if you know just the right bracing stroke for the wave that is about to capsize your boat. If you know how to roll, you might not be in the water long enough to get cooled off! Or, if your roll fails you, you can still get back in the boat quick enough if you can do a paddle float rescue. Of course, you may have been able to avoid that tragic wave by taking a less exposed route, leaving before the wind kicked up, going on a "neap tide" day when the currents are less strong, or even went around slack tide.

Collisions are a real concern in Casco Bay because it is very crowded with pleasure boats and no matter where we start from, we must cross a marked shipping channel. Kayaks are completely invisible to ships radar. Freighters could not stop even if they did see us. A few power boaters think of kayaks as "speed bumps".

Then there are the combinations of things that go wrong. I've read that these are the most common ways to get in trouble. For example, you pulled a muscle launching your boat. Then, you favored your good arm. By the time the big wave hit, you didn't have a good brace, couldn’t mange any self rescue but managed to get back into the boat with help. If only you had floatation, you could have gotten the boat bailed out a lot quicker But, now, you are so exhausted you capsize again, taking another party member with you as they try to do an assisted rescue that they only read about.

It is not about equipment, but here is a list to consider:
Wet/Dry suite
PFD (if you don't want to wear it, just go in 10 feet of water and try to put it on. Then decide.)
Spry skirt.
Maximum floatation (keeps bailing to a minimum)
Paddle float.
Pump
Towline
warm clothes in watertight container
food and water
spare paddle (must work with paddle float)
Compass and chart
Tide and current table
whistle or horn
Signal device of marine radio

Well, that's a lot more than 25 words, and a lot more than anyone wants to think about for a simple overnight trip to that's only "this far on the map". But, whether you know or accept the risks, they are there. I would much rather be embarrassed by how calm and easy the trip was then to have to watch helplessly or worse yet, put someone else in danger. The irony is that unless you do go, you will miss something very special!

If anyone has more questions, I'd be happy to try to answer them, but I'd ask that you also post them at: http://www.kayakforum.com/cgi-bin/Technique/index.cgi
because you will get a much more balanced and experienced answer.

attroll
06-22-2005, 01:03 AM
I thought I would include a couple maps of Jewell Island to help people relate to what we are refering to. Someone pointed out to me that we could put in at the tip of Harpswell and if would be a shorted and easier trip. This is true but it would put the island caches at the other end. But we could jsut go out as a group and do a kayak trip. I am game with what ever everyone else wants to do. I would really like to get a couple caches though.

You can click on each map for a larger view of it.

http://www.geocachingmaine.org/gallery/data/503/1Jewell-bluecahrt-med.gif (http://www.geocachingmaine.org/gallery/data/503/1Jewell-bluecahrt.gif)
http://www.geocachingmaine.org/gallery/data/503/1Jewell-Topo-med.gif (http://www.geocachingmaine.org/gallery/data/503/1Jewell-Topo.gif)

d’76
06-22-2005, 07:39 AM
I guess I never thought of the other risks. I think that an over nighter might be a tad riskie considering that most of us are not world class sea kayakers. While we may be very comfortable on any lake in Maine and any stream I guess that getting sucked out to sea and becoming Titanic "the sequel" might not be such a good idea. I have a great sense of adventure and there is no doubt that every thing may turn out fine however, we know how the weather in maine works. I might be alittle worried that getting out there would be the easy part but when the winds pick up the next day and the waves are huge we might struggle alittle bit.

Dave

Pooh and friends
06-22-2005, 08:58 AM
A trip to Jewell with out a gps.

http://www.eagletribune.com/news/stories/20040719/FP_001.htm

attroll
06-22-2005, 12:00 PM
We don't have to go to Jewell Island. I think that there is nothing to worry about however for a couple of reasons. We will be in a group and we have a couple people that have been out ther ebefore on kayaks and we all have GPS's and know how to use them.

If someone can come up with another easy overnight paddle that we can get a couple of caches at then throw the ideas out here.

Another option is to just get together and kayak the 5 cahes in the Portland Bay and then have dinner together or something. This might even be a better option.

tat
06-22-2005, 05:51 PM
I think that there is nothing to worry about however for a couple of reasons...

I agree with attroll.

There are a lot of other things that we will have in our favor: As a group, we have more options to help each other, We will not be far from land at any point. Most of the trip is in relatively protected water, The water will be cold, but not almost any self rescue can be completed before hypothermia is an issue.

In fact, the car ride to the launch is statistically more dangerous than the boat ride. We are just much more complacent about driving risks. By considering the risks, we are already way ahead on safety.

Haffy
06-22-2005, 06:02 PM
Hey ,I'm up for any type of kayak cache event. I just got my feet wet so to speak today. I met "K" in Gardiner and we paddled up to Brown's Island for the cache that is there. She was the last one to log that cache last August and I was the first one this year. I hadn't been kayaking in about 25 years or so( phew I am that old) and it was a great experience and an easy paddle even though it is about a mile and a half one way. I'm surprised it hasn't been visited only 6 times I think since 2003. I finally got this one off my closest list,thank you "K".

tat
06-22-2005, 07:35 PM
http://www.kayakforum.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/guille/wiki.pl?Hypothermia_Table
Here's a link on wet suits.

The route from East End beach is about 10-11 miles if we don't do Peaks Island. There is another launch on Cousins Island and from there it is about 7-8 miles. It looks a little more exposed tthan East End. Harpswell is probably half as far, but it sure llooks like a lot of open water. And, we'd miss almost all of the caches! I'm not sure about landings for the caches, does anyone who has been there know?

attroll
06-23-2005, 12:51 AM
It is hard to see the route with all the blue cahrt info on the attachment that Tat posted. I have included another attachement with Topo that makes it a little clearer.

I agree with Tat. We will have a good group and we will always within site of land and the way Tat and I have charted it we will never be more then about 3000 yards from any land mass and most of the paddling would be skirting right along the sides of islands. If we all have GPS then we can put all the waypoints in ahead of time. This will help us too.
I think leaving from Harpswell would be a much easier and quicker paddle but then we would not hit any caches along the way as I mentioned before. I am up for the leaving from East End Beach. The total distance according to my calculations would be right at about 13.5 miles stopping every 3 miles for a cache. Then one more three mile break right before we reach Jewell Island.

I think we should make this trip in August this way it gives us more time for planning and getting out an paddling in our kayaks before the trip and would also allow the Cache'n Jacksons to come along. What does everyone think of this plan?

Our biggest issue is going to find ournight parking for out cars.

Team2hunt
07-09-2005, 10:08 AM
Has anyone said it HAD to be the ocean. Some of Maine's larger lakes affords safety and numerous caches. Sebago Lake area in So.Maine with camping at state park. Not a quiet trip but safer. I'm up for any trip we decide on.

attroll
07-09-2005, 02:30 PM
Has anyone said it HAD to be the ocean. Some of Maine's larger lakes affords safety and numerous caches. Sebago Lake area in So.Maine with camping at state park. Not a quiet trip but safer. I'm up for any trip we decide on.

Your right. I have considered this more and have taked to Tat about it some. I think and he agrees with me that we should make this an easier and shorter trip. I am looking into Swan Island in Richmond. But I was wanting to do this at a place were there was a couple of caches we could all kayak to. This is not in writing yet. We are still open to suggestions.

Team2hunt
07-09-2005, 06:48 PM
Has anyone mentioned Deer Isle? There are plenty of caches. It's not far from land, also has land connection. The kayaking around the island would let individuals choose the amount of time spent paddling. And theres a campground. Tenting with launching access. It's not too far from either north or south.

WhereRWe?
07-09-2005, 07:05 PM
Has anyone mentioned Deer Isle? There are plenty of caches. It's not far from land, also has land connection. The kayaking around the island would let individuals choose the amount of time spent paddling. And theres a campground. Tenting with launching access. It's not too far from either north or south.

We're not kayakers, but if we were, we'd vote for Deer Isle. Great caches, great water for kayaking, too.

Sheesh...

If only I were 20 years younger! LOL!

The last time RULOST2? and I went kayaking, it was probably 1978, in Belgium:

http://www.opt.be/informations/wallonia_suggestion/EN/A/O/38169.html

Fantastic! :D :D :D

becket
07-10-2005, 08:32 AM
if you came to deer isle to kayak, you could get 5 of my caches by water: oak point, shore acres, tennis preserve, crockett cove and mariner's park. (shore acres and tennis would be easier from the water - they are long walks!) the other 3 you could drive to before or after the kayaking

tat
07-10-2005, 08:46 AM
Maybe Deer Isle is a good alternative, drive to the campground and kayak to the caches. I would not mind a commercial campground either.

attroll
07-11-2005, 02:14 AM
wbdent I really like the Deer Isle idea. You can drive right to Deer Isle, so those that do not wish to kayak but still want to spend attend the event or spend the night with us can. There are at present 10 caches right on the Island. It looks like 5 of them can be accesed by a kayak like Becket said.

wbdent This sounds like a good plan to me. What does everyone else think about this? Do we have any takers? I have included a list of campgrounds that I found on the internet. Does anyone have any experience with any of these campgrounds or have any other suggestions.

Greenlaw's RV-Tentings
137 Airport Road
PO Box 72
Stonington, ME 04681
367-5049
May 1 thru September 30

Old Quarry Campground
130 Settlement Road
Stonington, ME 04681
367-8977
info@oldquarry.com
April 1 thru October 31

Sunshine Campground
1181 Sunshine Road
Deer Isle, ME 04627
348-2663 or 367-8977
info@sunshinecampground.com
June 17 thru September 6

Beach Comber
07-11-2005, 06:50 PM
Deer Isle sounds awesome! I don't kayak, but would certainly enjoy gathering with others at the end of a day of caching in the area. Is the date planned August 20th? I was thinking about heading up that way for a day in the near future so this would work out well!

WhereRWe?
07-11-2005, 07:02 PM
Deer Isle sounds awesome! I don't kayak, but would certainly enjoy gathering with others at the end of a day of caching in the area. Is the date planned August 20th? I was thinking about heading up that way for a day in the near future so this would work out well!

Sheesh! I hate RULOST2?'s work schedule - EVERY WEEKEND!!! If this comes off the weekend of Aug 20th, "Beachie", I just may come up for the day by myself.

Lets do it!!! :D :D :D

Team2hunt
07-11-2005, 10:20 PM
Sheesh! I hate RULOST2?'s work schedule - EVERY WEEKEND!!! If this comes off the weekend of Aug 20th, "Beachie", I just may come up for the day by myself.

Lets do it!!! :D :D :D
Would you like to borrow my weasel. I do not need to practice my weaseling skills anymore. I will be bringing him to bar-b-que in Augusta. He's all yours. LOL hehehehe :D

becket
07-12-2005, 05:30 AM
guess it's time to think of more places for caches on the island! i'll have to start thinking about an event cache. i don't kayak but i sure would like to join you guys at some point.

WhereRWe?
07-12-2005, 06:01 AM
Would you like to borrow my weasel. I do not need to practice my weaseling skills anymore. I will be bringing him to bar-b-que in Augusta. He's all yours. LOL hehehehe :D

No, hang on to him for someone more needy. We're experts at weaseling - it's just that you need to know when to weasel and when not to. LOL!

attroll
07-12-2005, 12:18 PM
I am in the process of trying to get ahold of Old Quarry Campground and Sunshine Campground on the phone right now to see if they have a place for a group site. I will let everyone know when I find something out.

attroll
07-12-2005, 12:36 PM
wbdent I just got off the phone with Old Quarry Campground. I have site number #1 reserved for us for August 20th. We can fit 4 or five tents in this site and possibly more. I asked if we had more if there would be room and then said they have overflow sites that we could put more tents in if we had to. But the overflow is not at the same location. But this will give us a place to meet at and have a good time and socialize.

wbdent I am going to post the event later on tonight so that is will be posted on GC.

attroll
07-12-2005, 01:04 PM
I submitted the event it is just waiting for approval. The title of the event it called "Kayak Kache event 2005".

WhereRWe?
07-12-2005, 04:02 PM
I submitted the event it is just waiting for approval. The title of the event it called "Kayak Kache event 2005".

Is a time/place going to be established for us "non-kayakers" to meet?

;) ;)

d’76
07-12-2005, 04:49 PM
Went to GC and it looks like it's been approved already. As far as the location for those that won't be kayaking why not meet at the camp site and head out from there. I think most of those caches can be reached on foot. I think that I have done most of them and they are all worth the walk.

WhereRWe?
07-12-2005, 06:27 PM
Went to GC and it looks like it's been approved already. As far as the location for those that won't be kayaking why not meet at the camp site and head out from there. I think most of those caches can be reached on foot. I think that I have done most of them and they are all worth the walk.

Walk????? :eek: :p

Haffy
07-12-2005, 06:33 PM
I echo your words Bruce,,,,WALK? We did all of the island caches last month along with Dave so I can't figure out why he would say to walk....lol There are many miles between them ...lol and maybe 5 or so can be accessed from the water and the rest are inland. What were you thinking anyway DAVE?

WhereRWe?
07-12-2005, 06:56 PM
I echo your words Bruce,,,,WALK? We did all of the island caches last month along with Dave so I can't figure out why he would say to walk....lol There are many miles between them ...lol and maybe 5 or so can be accessed from the water and the rest are inland. What were you thinking anyway DAVE?

Well, Deer Island is one of my favorite places in Maine, so I'm gonna try and be at the meet and get as many caches as I can. Sheesh! Why don't you go with me, Haffy, and show me where the caches are? LOL! :eek:

d’76
07-12-2005, 07:57 PM
Damn right!!!!, WALK it's a small island. Haffy, aguy your age the walk would maybe prevent future hip replacement. LOL:p :D :p .

I wouldn't recommend hiking from Cache to cache but the various walks to the caches are worth it.

I might join you for a few of them again. Becky did a nice job with them. Even if you don't make the event I would strongly recommend doing the caches another time.

Sorry for the confusion(not really):D

Have a good evening
Dave

Trezurs*-R-*Fun
07-12-2005, 08:51 PM
Isn't there a place in Northport that rents Kayaks? For that matter their must be dozens of places that rent them, maybe we could have people post those places that do rent Kayaks for those that are interested.

Sudonim
07-12-2005, 10:45 PM
What time are kayakers meeting Saturday? Are we shooting for Deer Isle/Stonington, or are we going to try for Isle Au Haut too? It looks a lot more open, I'd feel better doing it with a group. If some in the group aren't comfortable with that one, that's fine too. I'll be more than happy exploring Deer Isle by slow boat.

attroll
07-13-2005, 12:18 AM
wbdent The price I believe is $14 per person for camping. I will check tomorrow and if I am wrong I will let you all know.

wbdent For those interested in the web site for the campground here it is. http://oldquarry.com

wbdent For those that do not have a kayak and wish to rent one that have kayaks for rent for the following prices:

wbdent I will need to check to see if we have to pay for additional parking also.

They do rent kayaks at the campground. Here are the prices I got off there web site. You may be able to find them cheaper sopmeplace else, but U would not know where.

Kayak Paddle:
$8/day

PDF
$5/day

Single kayak:
$40/halfday
$55/day
$60.50/overnight
$300/week

Tandem Kayak:
$50/halfday
$65/day
$71.50/overnight
$380/week

attroll
07-13-2005, 12:25 AM
I don't know what time everyone wants to meet to start kayaking on Saturday. Lets hear from some people so I can set a time on the event posting.

We need to set a time for those that want to meet and not kayak also.

The campground check in is at 11 am. So that will be an issue also. I will call them tomorrow and see what we can do about that. If I have to I will reserve it for Firday night also if it is not taken.

becket
07-13-2005, 05:01 AM
the old quarry campground is in the oceanville section of stonington it is not far from where the "grout trail" cache is (same quarry) the campground is just after the sunshine seafood building the campground is on webb's cove the big building you will see on your way in to the campground is where jfk's memorial (the granite work) was made isle au haut is 6 miles from stonington - lots of little islands in between

attroll
07-15-2005, 12:45 PM
I called the campground. If no one is in that site the night before we can check in as soon as we get there. If someone is in it then we can go off and do our thing and set up when we get back. If someone in the group comes and does not kayak they can check in for us at 11 am if we are not around. I can leave a list of names or just let them know it is OK.

becket
07-20-2005, 09:34 PM
the coords i have for the grout trail cache are 44 10.486 and 068 38.478. i forgot that i told some of you that i would post them here.

attroll
07-20-2005, 11:47 PM
the coords i have for the grout trail cache are 44 10.486 and 068 38.478. i forgot that i told some of you that i would post them here.
Becket is this a new cache?

becket
07-21-2005, 06:03 AM
no, attroll, this cache has been at the quarry for a few years now, but the coords are off and a lot of people have had trouble finding it. i told beach comber that i would post the coords i had on this forum. i knew that people who hadn't found it yet would be looking for it when they are camped right there at the kayaking event. also, if there is anything i can do for the event, let me know. i am in stonington occasionally. lol

attroll
07-21-2005, 01:24 PM
no, attroll, this cache has been at the quarry for a few years now, but the coords are off and a lot of people have had trouble finding it. i told beach comber that i would post the coords i had on this forum. i knew that people who hadn't found it yet would be looking for it when they are camped right there at the kayaking event. also, if there is anything i can do for the event, let me know. i am in stonington occasionally. lol
Oh, OK. Thank you. I can not think of anything that needs to be done for the event. We are just going to wing it as we go. It looks like there will be a group kayaking to caches and another group driving around to caches. The group kayaking is going to be leaving the Augusta area around 7 in the morning to head to the campgroud. That should place us there around 9 am we are figuring. If there is no one in our site will will chack in and then head out kayking. If someone is in our site then we will head out kayaking and check in when we get back. I don't know what time we will get back. But if we are not back and the site is open anyone in the group can start setting up. The group that is going to meet and drive to the caches is not being organized by me. I don't know how or if anyone has stepped forward and said where and what time they are going to meet. I know Beach Comber is going and two others. I can not think of the two others who said they were going. Maybe someone in that group needs to post something.

Beach Comber
07-21-2005, 01:53 PM
I believe that WhereRWe? and TwoMainiacs are planning to drive and cache that day. Noreasta said that he may as well. Becket said she might join in too. I am planning to go at this point, but don't have more details than that to share.

There really isn't any formal plan to get together at this time - ideas can be raised here in the forum.

Am I correctly remembering the people who expressed an interest?
Are there others interested in caching that day?
Is there a preference, etc. about caching as a group, alone, times, caches to do, etc.?

TwoMaineiacs
07-21-2005, 06:41 PM
We are hoping to make it up but cannot commit due to something that has come up. I'll watch here and see what is chosen for a time/place for dry landers to meet. Will post as soon as we know for sure.

Anne
TwoMaineiacs

The G Team
07-21-2005, 06:46 PM
and would be able to be at Wal-Mart at 7:00. If anyone would like to carpool, let me know.

Michael

WhereRWe?
07-22-2005, 07:46 AM
I believe that WhereRWe? and TwoMainiacs are planning to drive and cache that day. Noreasta said that he may as well. Becket said she might join in too. I am planning to go at this point, but don't have more details than that to share.

There really isn't any formal plan to get together at this time - ideas can be raised here in the forum.

Am I correctly remembering the people who expressed an interest?
Are there others interested in caching that day?
Is there a preference, etc. about caching as a group, alone, times, caches to do, etc.?

Looks like both RULOST2? and I will be among the "day cachers", but we plan to make it an overnighter (motel). If there's a single cacher out there who would like to meet us in the area and cache with us, we'd be glad to have them. :D :D

parmachenee
07-22-2005, 08:28 AM
We hope to attend one or the other but with the kayaking there are so many variables, especially on the Maine coast...fog, rain, wind. We've been out in the morning when it was like glass and later, when the wind kicked up, had to head for shore in 3-5 ft. waves. And I don't want to be a speed-bump for a lobster boat in the fog :( ...they can't see kayaks on their radar. So we will come prepared for both types but will wait and see what Mother Nature says.