View Full Version : What can Geocaching do for land owners?

tat
01-06-2011, 07:53 PM
I wanted to start another post so as not to derail the conversation on the Nature conservancy post. There's a lot of good discussion there, by the way.

I want to thank each of the cachers who archived their caches immediately after being notified of land access issues. MainePubliser does not enjoy archiving caches; anyone who has submitted an archive request knows I take a long time to act. One exception is when a land owner has a concern.

So, I'll kick this post off with one thing Geocaching can do: Geocachers do react quickly to any and all concerns land managers have. Unlike other activities where it may be impossible to identify the culpable party, Geocachers are easily contacted and responsive.

What can you do?

Haffy
01-06-2011, 09:04 PM
Just act responsively and if at all possible just do your best to do the right thing no matter what the situation entails. Put yourself in the other persons shoes and see how it would affect you.

CARoperPhotography
01-06-2011, 10:28 PM
I wanted to start another post so as not to derail the conversation on the Nature conservancy post. There's a lot of good discussion there, by the way.

I want to thank each of the cachers who archived their caches immediately after being notified of land access issues. MainePubliser does not enjoy archiving caches; anyone who has submitted an archive request knows I take a long time to act. One exception is when a land owner has a concern.

So, I'll kick this post off with one thing Geocaching can do: Geocachers do react quickly to any and all concerns land managers have. Unlike other activities where it may be impossible to identify the culpable party, Geocachers are easily contacted and responsive.

What can you do?

I've seen you react in a matter of minutes and archive my caches.... in fact, I am the only one who I have seen you do this to. And on the other side, I see you allow caches which need to be archived due to serious issues, languish for MONTHS. Let's talk about Lady Victory?

Ekidokai
01-07-2011, 12:28 PM
All kinds of good things are done while caching. When I first started there was a cache in a park that I never would have gone to otherwise. As we got to the park I was able to help a family out with a medical emergency. If caching had not brought me there, things would have turned out very bad that day.

I have brought out a bag full of trash many times and have alerted owners of trouble and they were very thankful.

Unfortunately the initial contact usually forms the long lasting opinion of everyone and everything involved. A person finds a cache on their property and no one has sot out permission. What else can you expect? When people start out in a new sport and they start getting attitude, can you expect them to stay involved and have any good words about this sport?

Geocaching is supposed to be for everyone. Putting out caches is supposed to be for the finders, not the hiders. Putting out a cache that will expose a finder to conflict is wrong.

Cito events are a fantastic way to promote Geocaching. I carry around fliers and pass many out on the trails explaining Geocaching. I'm surprised how many have called back and asked for more help and info. The land trust people I have met really enjoy Geocaching because of what they see we can do for the land.

Everyone has their own opinion. Promoting the sport and providing a positive attitude is the best way to keep this sport going in the right direction.

cano
01-07-2011, 05:24 PM
All kinds of good things are done while caching. When I first started there was a cache in a park that I never would have gone to otherwise. As we got to the park I was able to help a family out with a medical emergency. If caching had not brought me there, things would have turned out very bad that day.

And how many medical emergencies have you missed just because you were out caching?

Ekidokai
01-08-2011, 03:10 PM
Oh that's a good question. Non that I know of.

Another thing I thought of is having us out there looking around can keep the less desirables at bay. I remember something about a park no too long ago having trouble with a cache in a location where bad activity was going on. I hoping that one of us notified the authorities to this matter.

JustKev
01-08-2011, 08:46 PM
We placed a cache this summer on a short trail in Readfield. Small footbridge over the stream had a "souvenier" on the handrail. A little aluminum container full of a ground up green leafy substance. We brought it out with us, called Kennebec County Dispatch and lo and behold we had a very rapid visit from a state trooper. We notified our contact with the land trust and let him know what we'd found and what we did. He was very appreciative. Imagine it.