View Full Version : Get to know your nominees

brdad
01-20-2011, 09:35 PM
This thread is for nominees to introduce themselves, and for members to ask questions to the nominees. The crotchety policeman of threads gone astray will try to show some restraint here. :D

http://www.bytethebullet.com/geocaching/fora/political-promises%20(Small).jpg

Fins_Up
01-20-2011, 09:51 PM
I think we have a great community of people here and I really just want to contribute in any way I can. Thats it really.

JustKev
01-21-2011, 04:25 AM
I think we have a great community of people here and I really just want to contribute in any way I can. Thats it really.

You said it well and I agree. I'll contribute any way I can as well.

brdad
01-21-2011, 08:35 AM
I've said before I think the main components of the board are availability and being able to voice an opinion is another. Of course, being able to admit that opinion may be wrong and the ability to discuss that rationally helps too. :)

I think I meet those criteria and am always trying to think up ways to better the site. I'd still like to see the site become more of a resource - more than just a discussion board.

we3beans
01-21-2011, 02:20 PM
I've said before I think the main components of the board are availability and being able to voice an opinion is another. Of course, being able to admit that opinion may be wrong and the ability to discuss that rationally helps too. :)

I think I meet those criteria and am always trying to think up ways to better the site. I'd still like to see the site become more of a resource - more than just a discussion board.

And bonus! he can fix computer login problems like nobody's business:D

Team2hunt
01-22-2011, 09:21 AM
I have been active in promoting geocaching, formally with scout troops, and informally as often as I can. As a long time member of geocachingmaine.org I have seen the changes it has gone through, some good and some not so good. I too would like to see the site become more of a resource for newcomers and expand the experience of geocaching for all who venture to look inside the forums. As for the not so good. If we are going to promote newcomers and some of them are going to be the younger ones, we need to assure them the site will be respectful and the experience enjoyable.

I have taken a lot form geocaching, road trips to places and states I never would have seen, time with my son and navigator 1manteam, and friendships I will enjoy for a lifetime. Now it's time for me to give something back.

Mainiac1957
01-23-2011, 05:48 PM
I am on here several times a day. I don't always say a lot in response to comments, because if I don't have something nice to say I wall choose to say nothing. I too have been caching a long time. (since 2003) and have been on this site since it started in 2004. I know just about everybody on here, and have met face to face with most of them. I believe myself to be fair under most circumstances. And I promote our pastime to most everyone I meet. If people wish me to serve on the advisory board I will try to do my best. Thank you...

Sudonim
01-24-2011, 06:27 PM
I am on here several times a day. I don't always say a lot in response to comments, because if I don't have something nice to say I wall choose to say nothing. I too have been caching a long time. (since 2003) and have been on this site since it started in 2004. I know just about everybody on here, and have met face to face with most of them. I believe myself to be fair under most circumstances. And I promote our pastime to most everyone I meet. If people wish me to serve on the advisory board I will try to do my best. Thank you...

No promises of a "schnauzer in every pot"??? :p

Mainiac1957
01-24-2011, 07:21 PM
No promises of a "schnauzer in every pot"??? :p

It's a good thing I read this before Sweetie did. :rolleyes:

dubord207
01-25-2011, 05:43 PM
My vision of the organization is to expand the many resources the members here provide.

Outreach and education is what it takes to get new cachers in the game. We all speak enthusiastically about the game but I think those of us that enjoy kids and/or public speaking need to have our names out there so that if somebody in a particular area needs a speaker, we go. Like Gary, I've been active in this role in local junior high schools, one where I did multiple lectures and "hooked" a bunch of kids. The local Boys/Girls club approached me today to do a talk with the kids and I thoroughly enjoy doing it will continue to do it. I'm sure others here will step up to the plate and join a "speakers bureau" for lack of a better term.

With all the member here, having the members get behind and supporting some of the charitable efforts of our group would also be nice. Dan Bahr, aka emsdanel has chaired the Hancock County Relay for Life several times and has been able to count on some of his caching friends for support. More could be involved as I'm sure there are very few here that wouldn't support the American Cancer Society's efforts. Last year, those of us that participated proudly carried the beautiful wood placque that brdad made around the track.

Lastly, some perceive a division between cachers from the North and cachers from the South. The so called "southern cachers" put on a heck of an event with the georally and the event generated almost $5000 for disadvantaged kids. More folks from the northern part of the state ought to partake in events like this. The southern cachers don't hesitate to drive to Eustis so more of us should drive to DeLorme!

Just a few thoughts. Many might think any or all of these ideas are way beyond the scope of what goes on here, but with such a large number of "members" a lot could happen.

WhereRWe?
01-25-2011, 06:26 PM
This thread is for nominees to introduce themselves, and for members to ask questions to the nominees. The crotchety policeman of threads gone astray will try to show some restraint here. :D

http://www.bytethebullet.com/geocaching/fora/political-promises%20(Small).jpg

Sheesh! When you stop and think about it... This truck is only carrying what you had for lunch yesterday. :eek::eek:

CARoperPhotography
01-26-2011, 05:04 PM
I need no introduction. "I ams what I ams"

WhereRWe?
01-26-2011, 07:12 PM
What is it? Three or four days to elections? Sheesh! I'm so excited! It's not who I can vote for - it's who I can vote against! LOL! :p:p

dubord207
01-26-2011, 07:13 PM
"cause I eat my spinach, I'm popeye the sailor man!" toot-toot:D

I need no introduction. "I ams what I ams"

brdad
01-26-2011, 07:20 PM
What is it? Three or four days to elections? Sheesh! I'm so excited! It's not who I can vote for - it's who I can vote against! LOL! :p:p

Rick is going to have to set up the elections, so they may be a few days after the nominations close.

Remember, if it goes like previous elections we will be making 4 votes, one for each person you'd like to see on the board. I have two definite choices, the other two I am going to have to think over - maybe only one if I vote for myself. :rolleyes:

WhereRWe?
01-26-2011, 07:25 PM
I have two definite choices, the other two I am going to have to think over - maybe only one if I vote for myself. :rolleyes:

Sheesh! What makes you think you're going to get my vote? I haven't seen the check yet... ;);)

CARoperPhotography
01-26-2011, 08:11 PM
"cause I eat my spinach, I'm popeye the sailor man!" toot-toot:D

I shouldn't have to "toot" my horn to you all to become a board member. You all know what I am about. Honesty, Integrity, the elimination of double standards, and the promotion of caching. Personally, I am only in this in the hopes that the current board gets booted from office as fast as Obama will be in 2012.

WhereRWe?
01-26-2011, 08:22 PM
Sheesh! What makes you think you're going to get my vote? I haven't seen the check yet... ;);)

Where did I give any indication who you were voting for? And I sent you some firewood! lol

Sheesh, Brdad! Did you click "edit" instead of "quote"? LOL!

WhereRWe?
01-26-2011, 08:27 PM
Personally, I am only in this in the hopes that the current board gets booted from office as fast as Obama will be in 2012.

Sheesh! Why? The current Advisory Board members are some of the most respected names in Maine geocaching. Brdad? Sudonim? Kaching Karen???

Even Ekodokee - who is only somewhat as abrasive as I am - is a genuine asset to the Advisory Board and Maine geocaching in general. What can you offer to the Advisory Board other than an attiturd (intentianally misspelled...).

brdad
01-26-2011, 08:45 PM
Sheesh, Brdad! Did you click "edit" instead of "quote"? LOL!

Yes I did, sorry! Old age! Fixed, but not forgotten!

Where did I give any indication who you were voting for? And I sent you some firewood! lol

What can you offer to the Advisory Board other than an attiturd (intentianally misspelled...).

Was both attiturd and intentianally intentionally misspelled, or just one of the two? :D

Fins_Up
01-26-2011, 09:05 PM
Originally Posted by WhereRWe?

What can you offer to the Advisory Board other than an attiturd

I have a new word to use at work tomorrow :)

CARoperPhotography
01-26-2011, 11:33 PM
Sheesh! Why? The current Advisory Board members are some of the most respected names in Maine geocaching. Brdad? Sudonim? Kaching Karen???

Even Ekodokee - who is only somewhat as abrasive as I am - is a genuine asset to the Advisory Board and Maine geocaching in general. What can you offer to the Advisory Board other than an attiturd (intentianally misspelled...).

Some of the most respected? I don't see TeamHorwich, DSKG, Lexmano, Dubord, Team2Hunt, TAT, Marcipanek, Iampaw, or Mscrep on the advisory board. I'd have to say that they are amongst the most respected names in Maine Geocaching as well. What I see is a bunch of Northern Maine cachers. Ekidokai? I won't even go there....

Ekidokai
01-27-2011, 12:39 AM
You can't and wont.

brdad
01-27-2011, 07:38 AM
For the record, Tat has served on the board and Dubord has been nominated in a previous election but he declined.

Sabby
01-27-2011, 12:02 PM
It would be nice if this thread could be kept on track and just have each person running for a board seat just post a statement as to why they should be elected to the board and what their goals as a board member will be.

Some, but not all, have already done this.

I, for one, would like to be able to read only those messages here.

WhereRWe?
01-27-2011, 03:39 PM
For the record, Tat has served on the board and Dubord has been nominated in a previous election but he declined.

From the 2008 election (http://www.geocachingmaine.org/forum/showthread.php?t=3568&highlight=election):

Nominated and declined:

Cache Maine - Cameo
Dave1976 - Dave
Dubord207 - Dan
EMSDanel - Dan
Firefighterjake - Jason
Hiram357 - Aaron
Hollora - Lois
Kayaking Loon - Jean
Mainiac1957 - Brad
Tat - Tom
WhereRWe? - Bruce

I can't find a simple list for the 2006 election (http://www.geocachingmaine.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1613&highlight=election&page=2), but I see that Parmachenee declined, Brdad, Hiram357, Me, TAT (then from "southern Maine), Beach Comber (then from Portland), Noreasta (Belfast), as well as a few more, accepted.

Haffy was a board member at one time, but we tossed him when he moved to South Carolina. Beach Comber (who was from Portland at the time) resigned for personal reasons. Wasn't Medawisla (then from Waterville, I believe) a board member as well, until she also resigned for personal reasons?

Sheesh. I think the entire state has been well represented.

cano
01-27-2011, 04:28 PM
I don't think a geographical location is an issue. I think a diversity of opinions might be an issue here. That's why I don't see a point of having a board at all, because you can't cover the whole diversity of opinions with just four people.

Team2hunt
01-27-2011, 05:44 PM
I don't think a geographical location is an issue. I think a diversity of opinions might be an issue here. That's why I don't see a point of having a board at all, because you can't cover the whole diversity of opinions with just four people.

I LOVE nanos in the woods........:rolleyes: the further off the beaten path the better.

dubord207
01-27-2011, 06:11 PM
I'd scuba dive to get a nano!! The deeper the better!:)

I LOVE nanos in the woods........:rolleyes: the further off the beaten path the better.

TRF
01-27-2011, 06:45 PM

Reading some of the post it seems to be deep enough already. Has the "Bored" done anything since its inception?

dubord207
01-27-2011, 07:01 PM
Ask not what your board has for cash, ask what your board can do for your cache flow!:)

Reading some of the post it seems to be deep enough already. Has the "Bored" done anything since its inception?

cano
01-27-2011, 08:07 PM

There is no GPS signal down there, tested by myself :)

dubord207
01-27-2011, 08:15 PM
Try the new Jacques Cousteau Garmin 850 UW ( under water ). Works like a charm down to 80 feet!:D

There is no GPS signal down there, tested by myself :)

CARoperPhotography
01-27-2011, 11:24 PM
You can't and wont.

Maybe I will. Is that a challenge? Maybe you should change your name on here to HermonFinder....

CARoperPhotography
01-27-2011, 11:25 PM

I entirely agree! When will we vote to dissolve the board?

Ekidokai
01-27-2011, 11:26 PM
That name is taken.

dubord207
01-28-2011, 07:51 AM
Chadd, Mike, do you really feel the need to go over plowed ground? As a bartender might say to two arguing patrons, please take it outside! Thanks

JustKev
01-28-2011, 08:56 AM
I entirely agree! When will we vote to dissolve the board?

Got a question for you. If you think the board should be dissolved, does that mean you're declining the nomination to be on the board?

Anyone who thinks we should have a board might have second thoughts about voting for a person openly stating there shouldn't be a board, IMHO.

WhereRWe?
01-28-2011, 09:20 AM
Anyone who thinks we should have a board might have second thoughts about voting for a person openly stating there shouldn't be a board, IMHO.

Sheesh! Makes sense to me... :D:D

cano
01-28-2011, 10:27 AM
Got a question for you. If you think the board should be dissolved, does that mean you're declining the nomination to be on the board?

Well then:

Anyone who thinks we should not have a board might have second thoughts about voting for a person openly stating there should be a board. LOL

TRF
01-28-2011, 11:00 AM
"The Board" and BigFoot. Fact or fiction? They are both fun to talk about but neither of them has truly been proven to actual exist. There is actually more evidence online about the BigFoot than the GeocachingMaine.org board. Therefore, I nominate BigFoot to the Board along with any 3 of the 7 Dwarfs. Babe the Blue Ox would be a good representative also. Darn, this is going to be a tough decision.

JustKev
01-28-2011, 11:34 AM
"The Board" and BigFoot. Fact or fiction? They are both fun to talk about but neither of them has truly been proven to actual exist. There is actually more evidence online about the BigFoot than the GeocachingMaine.org board. Therefore, I nominate BigFoot to the Board along with any 3 of the 7 Dwarfs. Babe the Blue Ox would be a good representative also. Darn, this is going to be a tough decision.

You know it's just not right to say what you said in your statement. You really need to stop and think before you post. Actually, I'm surprised you would stoop so low. You know full well that Babe the Blue Ox wouldn't serve on any board revolving around geocaching. Ever since Babe stepped on Paul Bunyan's Oregon 550T and broke it it's been a sore spot for Babe to even think about geocaching. You owe Babe, and Paul by association, an apology for dredging up bad memories.

Seriously, though, it is obvious there is a diverse group of people even in discussing the board. Personally, I think that if you don't think the forum needs a board then you're getting off easy, just don't vote. If you support the board, you've got to look at all the "candidates" and decide who you'll vote for.

I support having a board because I have been involved in other areas of the internet for a number of years and know that some places, like the forum, deserve moderation. I threw my hat into the ring and would serve on the board in support of anything and everything that promotes and supports geocaching here in Maine and beyond. I also agree with having a board to moderate in the event of any user abusing the guidelines for use of the forum. One person making decisions that are perceived to be negative makes it look like a vendetta, one against another. A board's actions to sanction an abusive user is a consensus type action.

My $0.02 worth.

WhereRWe?
01-28-2011, 11:51 AM
I support having a board because I have been involved in other areas of the internet for a number of years and know that some places, like the forum, deserve moderation. I threw my hat into the ring and would serve on the board in support of anything and everything that promotes and supports geocaching here in Maine and beyond. I also agree with having a board to moderate in the event of any user abusing the guidelines for use of the forum. One person making decisions that are perceived to be negative makes it look like a vendetta, one against another. A board's actions to sanction an abusive user is a consensus type action.

Just for clarification, the Advisory Board is not involved in moderating the forums. The Advisory Board may set general policies as to how GCM.org is operated, but moderators are appointed by the webmaster, and are responsible to him alone. :D:D

cano
01-28-2011, 12:01 PM
Personally, I think that if you don't think the forum needs a board then you're getting off easy, just don't vote.

And this will help me getting rid of the board exactly how? Could you explain it please?

TRF
01-28-2011, 12:08 PM
If the scope of "The Board" is to oversee these forums then voting or not voting is moot as this is a private site and exist on Rick's sufferance. If the scope of the "Board" is to represent geocachers in the State of Maine then, obviously, every geocacher has a bigger stake in the election results regardless of using these forums or not.

So far, I've agreed with everything that everyone has posted but personally can't decipher what direction the Board is going. Public/private. I've read the mission statement and find nothing wrong with it but it seems confined to these forums and from what I can determine it has been followed conscientiously by the Moderators/Board. They have done a great job.

Maybe it is the definition that needs clarifying. Are moderators up for election or is there going to be a broader public focus.

WhereRWe?
01-28-2011, 12:40 PM
Maybe it is the definition that needs clarifying. Are moderators up for election or is there going to be a broader public focus.

I repeat: Moderators are appointed by the webmaster, and are responsible to him alone. There is no relationship between the Advisory Board and forum moderators, other than that a person may be both a moderator and a member of the Advisory Board. The functions are separate.

JustKev
01-28-2011, 12:53 PM
Just for clarification, the Advisory Board is not involved in moderating the forums. The Advisory Board may set general policies as to how GCM.org is operated, but moderators are appointed by the webmaster, and are responsible to him alone. :D:D

I was remembering the "Wikileaks" posts a while back where the board discussed some things that shouldn't have been posted in an open forum. My apologies there.

Still, the moderator(s) should feel free to discuss that exact kind of thing with the board members with the provosio that Rick would and should have the last say or the only say in any and all instances.

JustKev
01-28-2011, 12:55 PM
And this will help me getting rid of the board exactly how? Could you explain it please?

If you want to get rid of the board, start a seperate thread calling for a vote to remove the board. It's that simple.

TRF
01-28-2011, 01:05 PM
.......... The functions are separate.

OK, then what is this separate function that you allude to. Your clear on your one point but completely fail to address the other. ;)

tat
01-28-2011, 01:43 PM
The GC.org website is owned by Attrol. As owner, he has asked the forum users to find a way to provide a consensus opinion in a timely manner when there are options to choose from.

The site's forum guidelines were developed by Advisory Board. Before we had a procedure, moderators were frustrated by a lack of a common yardstick to measure their responses. Anyone that has visited this site surely knows two things: We are too divers a group to all agree and We do not all agree how strictly the forums should be moderated.

If you do not wish to have an Advisory Board, please present an alternative method to provide advice to the site owner.

The site's mission statement is also another Advisory Board accomplishment. http://www.geocachingmaine.org/index.php?page=gmmission (http://www.geocachingmaine.org/index.php?page=gmmission). If you haven't had read it recently, it may help to understand what the GCMaine.org site is and isn't.

The fact that the Advisoy Board is seen as a "do nothing" board is actually a good indication that it is functioning properly. The advice they are providing the web site owner to follow our mission statement seems to be working.

Personally, I do not favor changing what we are not: "Let's start with what we are NOT. We are not an official governing body. We are not rule makers or enforcers. We are not the geocaching gurus of Maine."

I do support concentrating on what we are: "We ARE a group of fun-loving, outdoor-minded people who like to geocache and want to help others do the same."

WhereRWe?
01-28-2011, 02:45 PM
OK, then what is this separate function that you allude to. Your clear on your one point but completely fail to address the other. ;)

As I'm not a member of the Advisory Board, you'll have to ask them. My point was only about the function of moderators being separate from - whatever - the members of the Advisory Board decide to do.

By the way... Did you forget that you were involved in setting up (http://www.geocachingmaine.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1565&highlight=advisory+board) the original Advisory Board? LOL! (Note - this link is restricted to the people who were involved in the Jun 2004 organizational meeting.)

CARoperPhotography
01-28-2011, 04:24 PM

Not at all. However, in order to dissolve the board, one with the idea must first gain access to the board.

WhereRWe?
01-28-2011, 05:00 PM
Not at all. However, in order to dissolve the board, one with the idea must first gain access to the board.

No, incorrect. The Advisory Board was created by a vote of the members. If the majority of the members want to do away with the Advisory Board, they can do that. The Advisory Board does not "run" the website. That's why it was called an "Advisory Board" instead of a "Board of Officers" or something similar. :D:D

brdad
01-28-2011, 06:23 PM

Doing my best to stay out of this, but this is one of the biggest misconceptions a few members have of the board. You do not need to be a board member to suggest changes you think will improve the site. Anyone can start a new thread, either in the feedback to board members forum, or to the entire forum. Be prepared to make a valid argument for your case.

Personally, I'm sure the site would manage without a board, but I have not seen where it has ever done any harm, and it has been an asset to me when I have had questions about moderating the site, and I know the board has been an asset to individual members when they wanted to voice an idea to a smaller group of people before doing so in front of the entire membership. The board does not approve caches, set caching rules or standards, tell anyone how or where they can cache.

Tat: Thanks for a perfect, spot on response.

cano
01-28-2011, 07:46 PM
So what is this board good for? Why does it have to exist?

brdad
01-28-2011, 07:55 PM
So what is this board good for? Why does it have to exist?

This is not really the thread for this discussion. It does not have to exist, nor does geocaching, fast cars, french fries or pretty girls. However, a decent percentage of the population can find some good in all of them. My previous posts in this thread and others have stated how the board has been a benefit to me.

WhereRWe?
01-28-2011, 08:00 PM
This is not really the thread for this discussion. It does not have to exist, nor does geocaching, fast cars, french fries or pretty girls.

Sheesh! Now I strongly disagree with you there. (At least you didn't say that "beer does not have to exist..." OOPS! That's another thread as well...)

Fins_Up
01-28-2011, 08:01 PM
If elected I promise a geocache, fast car, pretty girl and french fries in every pot.

cano
01-28-2011, 08:45 PM
My previous posts in this thread and others have stated how the board has been a benefit to me.

Was it a board or actual people?

dubord207
01-28-2011, 09:11 PM
Sheesh Cano! Time to re-read the posts on this thread. Whatever the board does or does not, there are folks here, including myself that share not only a love of the game but a desire to give something back. We want to do this in part through this site. Is that a bad idea? Does it really need to be defined to a "t"? I suppose we could cache without Groundspeak and survive without this site, but like you, there's a lot of folks that seem to enjoy what goes on here. Why not have a few "advisors"? I can't see a downside.

Was it a board or actual people?

cano
01-28-2011, 10:17 PM
Sheesh Cano! Time to re-read the posts on this thread. Whatever the board does or does not, there are folks here, including myself that share not only a love of the game but a desire to give something back. We want to do this in part through this site. Is that a bad idea? Does it really need to be defined to a "t"? I suppose we could cache without Groundspeak and survive without this site, but like you, there's a lot of folks that seem to enjoy what goes on here. Why not have a few "advisors"? I can't see a downside.

No, but what I don't understand is why do you have to be in the board to do that? You don't? Then what is the board good for? What can you do as the board member to help this site you cannot do as non board member?

JustKev
01-29-2011, 12:27 AM
That was an excellent post for this thread. Cleared up the misconceptions I had very well.

brdad
01-29-2011, 07:54 AM
No, but what I don't understand is why do you have to be in the board to do that? You don't? Then what is the board good for? What can you do as the board member to help this site you cannot do as non board member?

For many subjects, it is much quicker and easier for 5 people to come to a consensus than waiting for the entire membership to respond. If the board decides the issue deserves more input than 5 people the membership can be addressed. An example with that would be our Geocoin, it would not be right for the board to design a coin representing the entire membership. Without a board, Rick and/or moderators would most likely have a few members he would ask via PM or other means on site related matters anyway. The board accomplishes the same thing, but is a bit more official, and has the added benefit that the members can address the board privately as well - as many have with spammer alerts, questions about the site, questions about moderation, ideas to help promote the site, and so on.

Team2hunt
01-29-2011, 08:37 AM
While I have thick skin and there isn't much on this website that offends me, you really have to ask yourself.... " would I want others that might vacation here, to think Maine is like this, and all Mainers argue amongst themselves? " or do you really want your son or daughter , who by the way really loves geocaching and has access to a computer to read some of these posts.

A new board and maybe a new standard.

Now the thread is back on track. Remember this is getting to know your nominees, NOT is there really a board and what do they do. If elected you'll hear about what the board is doing, whenever you run into me.

dubord207
01-29-2011, 09:07 AM
Right on the money Gary and I promise the same. A pro-active board will benefit the game.:)

While I have thick skin and there isn't much on this website that offends me, you really have to ask yourself.... " would I want others that might vacation here, to think Maine is like this, and all Mainers argue amongst themselves? " or do you really want your son or daughter , who by the way really loves geocaching and has access to a computer to read some of these posts.

Now the thread is back on track. Remember this is getting to know your nominees, NOT is there really a board and what do they do. If elected you'll hear about what the board is doing, whenever you run into me.

WhereRWe?
01-29-2011, 09:14 AM
Now the thread is back on track. Remember this is getting to know your nominees, NOT is there really a board and what do they do.

Sorry. I feel the two topics go hand-in-hand - what the members feel the function of the Advisory Board is and the views of the candidates for the Advisory Board. :D:D

Ekidokai
01-29-2011, 09:19 AM

A+ Finally some one with an intelligent response. You have my vote.

brdad
01-29-2011, 09:22 AM
Sorry. I feel the two topics go hand-in-hand - what the members feel the function of the Advisory Board is and the views of the candidates for the Advisory Board. :D:D

I agree, had the initial question been presented as a question to each nominee, instead of questioning the current system in general.

Anyway, this phase is nearly over, good luck!

Fins_Up
01-29-2011, 10:24 AM
I am looking forward to the election. It is my hope that all this discussion has been informative and can only benefit the new board. A diverse board will be helpful in representing the many different ways we all enjoy this game. I think that having a board is beneficial to any sport or enterprise. In this case it can assist in providing guidance and expertise and help determine the direction the site takes in connecting with geocachers in Maine and beyond.

Team2hunt
01-29-2011, 12:10 PM

I was only trying to follow the instructions from the original post in this thread.

I hope that everyone has had the chance to ask questions that may be concerning them, as to the nominees, running for the Advisory Board. Thank you for the opportunity to voice my intentions.

brdad
01-29-2011, 07:29 PM
I was only trying to follow the instructions from the original post in this thread.

No need to be sorry, there was nothing wrong about your post. The initial post did suggest members could ask the nominees questions, which would have been great as opposed to questioning the process, which is what happened.

WhereRWe?
01-29-2011, 07:36 PM
No need to be sorry, there was nothing wrong about your post. The initial post did suggest members could ask the nominees questions, which would have been great as opposed to questioning the process, which is what happened.

Wait a minute! You said "The crotchety policeman of threads gone astray will try to show some restraint here." And I took you at your word. LOL!

brdad
01-29-2011, 09:00 PM
Wait a minute! You said "The crotchety policeman of threads gone astray will try to show some restraint here." And I took you at your word. LOL!

I held off! If I had my way, less than half of the posts would have remained!

CARoperPhotography
01-29-2011, 11:52 PM
I held off! If I had my way, less than half of the posts would have remained!

So Mr. Gestapo, go ahead and remove mine. I could care less. More the reason not to have totalitarian board members who only care about censoring out the views of those that THEY disagree with.

JustKev
01-30-2011, 07:52 AM
So Mr. Gestapo, go ahead and remove mine. I could care less. More the reason not to have totalitarian board members who only care about censoring out the views of those that THEY disagree with.

Tat and WhereRWe both explained this very thoroughly. BRDAD wouldn't be removing posts as a board member. He would have his "Moderator Hat" on if he were to be removing posts.

WhereRWe?
01-30-2011, 08:17 AM
Tat and WhereRWe both explained this very thoroughly. BRDAD wouldn't be removing posts as a board member. He would have his "Moderator Hat" on if he were to be removing posts.

Thanks! I'm glad I read this message before I responded to the last one. LOL!

brdad
01-30-2011, 08:20 AM

Correct. And holding back shows I restrain from moderating posts simply because I don't agree or like the posts, but instead adhere to the forum guidelines.

dubord207
01-30-2011, 09:21 AM
Kind of a "thankless job" I'd day, but most of us here sincerely appreciate your efforts and willingness to adhere to the guidelines. Like it or not, there ARE guidelines and rules like everything else in life. Thanks for your willingness to serve the site in this capacity.

Correct. And holding back shows I restrain from moderating posts simply because I don't agree or like the posts, but instead adhere to the forum guidelines.

brdad
01-30-2011, 10:28 AM
Thanks, Dan. It has been a learning experience. I can see it's not a job for just anyone. It pays to have no heart on occasion. ;)

I'm just glad there was someone to moderate during Rick's absence, it has been a trying year!

dubord207
01-30-2011, 11:23 AM
Thanks, Dan. It pays to have no heart on occasion. ;)

Did "somebody" say that once in the heat of the moment?;)

brdad
01-30-2011, 11:43 AM
More than once, Dan! Though the adjectives vary on occasion! :)

CARoperPhotography
01-30-2011, 03:41 PM
Kind of a "thankless job" I'd day, but most of us here sincerely appreciate your efforts and willingness to adhere to the guidelines. Like it or not, there ARE guidelines and rules like everything else in life. Thanks for your willingness to serve the site in this capacity.

Dan, haven't you learned yet that kissing ass gets you nowhere in life?

dubord207
01-30-2011, 06:35 PM
Actually a little butt kiss often works better then the a butt kick. Plus, believe it or not, there have been moments when I've gone over to the dark side in my comments on this site. You might have to go back a bit to find evidence of my sarcastic side, but it's all there, somewhere. I'm still capable but prefer a less antagonistic approach. I've learned the hard way that this works best in the courtroom as well. I guess I'm mellowing out as I get older......Missed you at the event. Jim, Dave, Barry and Ed were in attendance.

Dan, haven't you learned yet that kissing ass gets you nowhere in life?

firefighterjake
01-31-2011, 09:00 AM
This is not really the thread for this discussion. It does not have to exist, nor does geocaching, fast cars, french fries or pretty girls. However, a decent percentage of the population can find some good in all of them. My previous posts in this thread and others have stated how the board has been a benefit to me.

Let the record show . . . I'm in favor of all four . . . make it five . . . geocaching, fast cars, french fries, pretty girls and The Board.;):D

firefighterjake
01-31-2011, 09:00 AM
If elected I promise a geocache, fast car, pretty girl and french fries in every pot.

You've got my vote . . .

what if we want poutine instead of just plain french fries though?;):D

firefighterjake
01-31-2011, 09:16 AM

I exist . . . and have actually been spotted at GeoEvents.;):D

Fins_Up
01-31-2011, 09:32 AM
Okay, so I had to look up poutine but I would definitely include that and would even try it myself.

pm28570
01-31-2011, 10:06 AM
Being responsible will always tick someone off.....

Team2hunt
01-31-2011, 07:08 PM
what if we want poutine instead of just plain french fries though?;):D

Is that the Quebec or the Nova Scotia version? :)

Mainiac1957
01-31-2011, 07:18 PM
I've had both and quite frankly I prefer PEI's fries with the works. That is a true heart attack on a plate. A huge pile of home cut fresh french fries, with ground beef, peas, and onions all covered with some awesome brown gravy. They sell a huge plate of this for around 5 dollars. mmmmmmmm

shuman road searchers
01-31-2011, 07:20 PM

Does it really matter?! Poutine has to be the worlds best vegetable!:D

firefighterjake
01-31-2011, 07:37 PM

Didn't know they had other versions . . . I've only had it in The County with gravy and melted cheese.

WhereRWe?
01-31-2011, 08:13 PM
Does it really matter?! Poutine has to be the worlds best vegetable!:D

Sheesh! Quebec has the best poutine. It's a French name, after all. Just like the best french fries in the WORLD are in Belgium (http://www.belgianfries.com/bfblog/). You just have to have had them to understand...

CARoperPhotography
01-31-2011, 08:28 PM
Actually a little butt kiss often works better then the a butt kick. Plus, believe it or not, there have been moments when I've gone over to the dark side in my comments on this site. You might have to go back a bit to find evidence of my sarcastic side, but it's all there, somewhere. I'm still capable but prefer a less antagonistic approach. I've learned the hard way that this works best in the courtroom as well. I guess I'm mellowing out as I get older......Missed you at the event. Jim, Dave, Barry and Ed were in attendance.

Dan, I work six days a week and almost ALWAYS on weekends. Hence I cannot generally make events on weekends, unless it is a event that matters like a GEORALLY! Plus, for my own safety I generally do not attend Geocaching events north of.... Freeport.... due to the very real threat of assassinate....

WhereRWe?
01-31-2011, 08:32 PM
Plus, for my own safety I generally do not attend Geocaching events north of.... Freeport.... due to the very real threat of assassinate....

Sheesh! That must mean you'd be a very poor candidate for the Advisory Board of a geocaching organization whose members are primarily from NORTH of Freeport. LOL! :rolleyes::rolleyes:

CARoperPhotography
01-31-2011, 08:57 PM
Sheesh! That must mean you'd be a very poor candidate for the Advisory Board of a geocaching organization whose members are primarily from NORTH of Freeport. LOL! :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Ahhh HAH! So someone finally admits that the board is DOMINATED by the Northerners!

Do you remember the slogan, "No taxation without representation" from the days leading up to the Revolutionary War? (you probably actually DO remember it since you are so old.... kind of like everyone ON the board! Don't you think the board could use an injection of YOUTH?)

Sudonim
01-31-2011, 09:01 PM
Ahhh HAH! So someone finally admits that the board is DOMINATED by the Northerners!

Do you remember the slogan, "No taxation without representation" from the days leading up to the Revolutionary War? (you probably actually DO remember it since you are so old.... kind of like everyone ON the board! Don't you think the board could use an injection of YOUTH?)

I HAVE been carded within the last month...just so's you know:rolleyes:

CARoperPhotography
01-31-2011, 09:09 PM

Most of the major supermarkets card ALL customers as a mandatory policy these days. Nice try.:D

dubord207
01-31-2011, 09:15 PM
I don't underestimate your caching skills or enthusiasm for the game. Sometimes the problem with "youthful" ambition is the inability to appreciate what an experienced player brings to any game, including caching. There are a lot of folks who have played this game and supported this site for way longer then you and me. Does that mean they're "has beens?" Does that mean they have nothing left to contribute to the game? I don't think so.

I hope the new board focuses largely on caching, caching, caching and discourages the type of pissing contests that have dominated this site over the last year. And that's not directed just at you but to all of us that have "taken the bait" or lost our way.

This has nothing to do with North vs. South, no matter what you think. Again, and in all due respect, what the heck does that have to do with loading caches from GSAK to a PN 60?

I know how much positive energy you could bring to the game if you'd just chill with your personal comments and posts that inflame, regardless of your intentions.

I hope this doesn't elicit a nasty or terse response. That was not my intent.

CARoperPhotography
01-31-2011, 09:36 PM
I don't underestimate your caching skills or enthusiasm for the game. Sometimes the problem with "youthful" ambition is the inability to appreciate what an experienced player brings to any game, including caching. There are a lot of folks who have played this game and supported this site for way longer then you and me. Does that mean they're "has beens?" Does that mean they have nothing left to contribute to the game? I don't think so.

I hope the new board focuses largely on caching, caching, caching and discourages the type of pissing contests that have dominated this site over the last year. And that's not directed just at you but to all of us that have "taken the bait" or lost our way.

This has nothing to do with North vs. South, no matter what you think. Again, and in all due respect, what the heck does that have to do with loading caches from GSAK to a PN 60?

I know how much positive energy you could bring to the game if you'd just chill with your personal comments and posts that inflame, regardless of your intentions.

I hope this doesn't elicit a nasty or terse response. That was not my intent.

It is impossible for me to elicit a strong positive energy towards the current board, due to certain board members and their malicious actions against me which resulted in a Groundspeak ban for 30 days. You know exactly what I am speaking of. SO until those board members are removed, I will continue with my "attitude"

WhereRWe?
02-01-2011, 08:13 AM

So have I. LOL!

WhereRWe?
02-01-2011, 08:31 AM

I look at a map and notice that Kittery is at longitude N43, Bangor is at N44, and Fort Kent is at N47. Seems like Bangor is in the southern 1/3 of the state, and the vast majority of GCM.org members live from Bangor southward. So I would deduct that most GCM.org members are from Southern Maine.

And since 2 of 5 of current Advisory Board members live "south of Augusta", and 2 of 4 former Advisory Board members lived "south of Augusta", I would deduct that 4 of 9 Advisory Board members were from southern Maine - or as close to 50% as you can get.

:D:D

Sudonim
02-01-2011, 10:32 AM
I looked at the DeLorme's once to determine the "middle" of Maine, and it was around Milo, so if you are south of Milo, you are a southern Maine resident.

brdad
02-01-2011, 10:57 AM
All this NSEW talk is just foolish, but according to the State of Maine (http://www.maine.gov/doc/nrimc/mgs/explore/geography/index.htm) site, the geographic center of Maine is:

Q6. What's the geographic center of Maine?
Brownville Junction -- 18 miles north of Dover-Foxcroft

Andy, you're off 7.7 miles. :D

If you go by cache centroid for all Maine caches, you end up just northwest of Augusta, The closest cache o that point is The Bijou (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=a080ba68-d2ea-4165-9a68-0b68139ff9b0)(Traditional) (GC1ZMM0) by Mapachi (http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?id=1383108) . Of course, using the cache centroid to determine the center of the state is foolish, if anything it suggests there should be a moratorium on caches placed south of Brownville Junction so the "north" can catch up to keep it fair. (Tell me that idea is not foolish!) :rolleyes:

All this talk about boundaries is even more foolish when you consider this is a site for anyone from anywhere in the world who wishes to discuss caching here. Sure, the majority of us are from Maine, but we have several members from NH and Canada and many other states. If we're sitting here arguing over North and South, I'm sure those other members really feel left out.

cano
02-01-2011, 10:58 AM
http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=geographical+center+of+Maine

EMSDanel
02-01-2011, 07:31 PM
You know, many many years ago I learned that you never have to go head hunting. Bad employees have a way of weeding themselves out, I don't need to waste my time, they'll do it themselves. The same is true of other aspects in life. I don't have to call a yahoo a yahoo....they do that themselves every time they open their mouth, reinforcing to everyone else just who/what they are. Now, to show just how friendly I am I would like to cordially invite those people who don't like/want to have an advisory board to form their own separate forum/chat room (because that's truly all this is). Imagine how happy you will be! You'll be happier, the rest of us will be happier....what a wonderful world we live in....

CARoperPhotography
02-01-2011, 11:11 PM
I looked at the DeLorme's once to determine the "middle" of Maine, and it was around Milo, so if you are south of Milo, you are a southern Maine resident.

If you divide the state based upon population concentrations, not physical geography, such as is done in etermining U.S. Congressional districts, I' like to know how many of the board members are part of the U.S. Congressional Maine District 1. My point being that when the majority of board members are from the least populated are of Maine, is there a real cross section of cachers, or a true representation of the masses? You people will come up with ANY argument to Spin this in your direction won't you? How pathetic.

CARoperPhotography
02-01-2011, 11:14 PM
Here is a question for the CURRENT board members. I posted a new Thread yesterday concerning the recently closed thread regarding caches up for adoption. My thread was canned and censored before I could blink twice! Why the censorship? Why the fear of opinions? Why the inability and unwillingness to tackle REAL issues here? I apologize if my lack of interest in sharing granola recipes for Geocaching snacking, offends all of you...

WhereRWe?
02-02-2011, 08:11 AM
My point being that when the majority of board members are from the least populated are of Maine, is there a real cross section of cachers, or a true representation of the masses?

My last post on this topic: We have 5 board members, 3 from what you call "northern" Maine, and 2 from "southern Maine. As I stated previously, 4 of 9 present and previous board members were from " southern" Maine. I don't know how you can make it more even than that.

dubord207
02-02-2011, 08:22 AM
Once again, Chadd, it wasn't the content of your post, just the nasty, personal tone that results in threads being closed. You probably have never met Cameo but your comment about her was rude. You are a very capable advocate, just unable to resist the easy use of personal comments when doing so. A lot of young attorneys do this and they usually crash and burn. I've suggested you keep on point in the past, I know it's difficult for you to do so and if you can't, then why visit here at all unless you just enjoy being a lightning rod?

Here is a question for the CURRENT board members. I posted a new Thread yesterday concerning the recently closed thread regarding caches up for adoption. My thread was canned and censored before I could blink twice! Why the censorship? Why the fear of opinions? Why the inability and unwillingness to tackle REAL issues here? I apologize if my lack of interest in sharing granola recipes for Geocaching snacking, offends all of you...

brdad
02-02-2011, 08:26 AM
I just realized it is foolish to use any cacher's home base as a guideline. It would make more sense to use the centroid of their finds. Mine for example, is N44° 07.081 Latitude on a N-S plane, a mere 19.813799 miles north of Chadd's centroid. Well look at that, we're both southerners!

That being said, location make very little difference. Haffy and Gob-Ler as well as a few other out of state members could manage fine as board members here, though the requirements do require they are regular cachers here.

JustKev
02-02-2011, 08:30 AM

You must blink very slowly. I posted a reply to that post and I even spent a few minutes thinking about it before posting.

Like others have said, it's not that you don't have good intentions for geocaching. You obviously have strong feelings for the hobby. It's the brunt and often insulting comments you make as well. You may not think they are but the majority of people on here appear to take them as such. No one here wants to see posts deleted as, I'm sure, the moderators don't want to delete them. If you'd take some advice from others and back off on the antagonistic posts, your posts would be left alone.

brdad
02-02-2011, 08:40 AM
That is more of a question for the moderators anyway, not the board. The board does not moderate. That thread was active for 19 hours until another member made a post which I felt was going to send the thread further downward, as did a few other members who reported it.

attroll
02-02-2011, 12:39 PM
Chad, I do not speak up here to often but you just seem to want to come on here and press everyones buttons. This site is not designed for that. If you want to try to cause trouble please do that on another web site and not here. We are not going to tolerate this anymore. This thread was started to let users Get to know there nominees. Lets keep in on that track, Please.

CARoperPhotography
02-02-2011, 03:46 PM
Good. I'm glad I can push your buttons too!

CARoperPhotography
02-02-2011, 03:59 PM
My comment on the adoption thread was to the point. Take it as rude. Take
It as me pushing buttons. I really could care less. What it comes down to is that when someone with strong rational ideas comes into play and shakes up the old school way of thinking about Geocaching, you all get very upset.

Sudonim
02-02-2011, 04:43 PM
Good. I'm glad I can push your buttons too!

So someone forms a website that people can come to and get help/support from each other, puts in countless hours for the benefit of anyone, and you are glad you can push his buttons on his own site? Quite an accomplishment to be proud of.

attroll
02-02-2011, 05:29 PM
He admits to pushing people buttons, he is banned for seven days to start with. Lets try to get this back on subject please.

fins2right
02-02-2011, 06:32 PM
He admits to pushing people buttons, he is banned for seven days to start with. Lets try to get this back on subject please.

Thank You!

dubord207
02-02-2011, 07:04 PM
Regrettably, Rick's decision was the right choice. Chadd needs to learn a few manners. I hope something positive comes of this.

Thank You!

Haffy
02-02-2011, 07:19 PM
I can remember a few posts that I made on , oh yeah I forget where that was now, I digress and let's forget I ever said that.

dubord207
02-02-2011, 07:28 PM
That's really old news and not another place where we need to go over plowed ground Johnny Boy. Anybody want to talk about geocaching? It's a real cool game where we look for tupperware hidden in the woods with the help of zillions of dollars worth of satellites and handheld GPS's!

I can remember a few posts that I made on another site where anything I said was deleted as well. Maybe he should go over there and see how he is treated there.....LOL Hmmm a southern Maine site too.

dufzor
02-02-2011, 07:33 PM
That's really old news and not another place where we need to go over plowed ground Johnny Boy. Anybody want to talk about geocaching? It's a real cool game where we look for tupperware hidden in the woods with the help of zillions of dollars worth of satellites and handheld GPS's!
Objection sustained. :D Lets cache on!

WhereRWe?
02-02-2011, 07:35 PM
Anybody want to talk about geocaching? It's a real cool game where we look for tupperware hidden in the woods with the help of zillions of dollars worth of satellites and handheld GPS's!

Sheesh! And I thought it was a game where you put film cans in the end of guardrails, which you find after calling your friends for directions! LOL!

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Mainiac1957
02-02-2011, 07:57 PM
And now back to our regularly scheduled thread....

Now lets get down to voting...
How about it Rick. A voting poll so we can carry on.

WhereRWe?
02-02-2011, 08:14 PM

Sheesh! Party pooper... ;);)

Sudonim
02-02-2011, 08:15 PM
Way to rerail a thread Brad ;)

brdad
02-02-2011, 08:19 PM

Now lets get down to voting...
How about it Rick. A voting poll so we can carry on.

The board has one unresolved discussion, but hopefully soon!

fins2right
02-03-2011, 01:58 PM
Regrettably, Rick's decision was the right choice. Chadd needs to learn a few manners. I hope something positive comes of this.

I've never met, he's probably a really nice guy who doesn't translate well on an online forum, As such I respectfully withdraw my semi-sarcastic post.

surfacewarrior
02-05-2011, 07:33 PM
i would like to ask just one more question on this north south thing. If all Board members are voted on " at large " is it even an issue ?

WhereRWe?
02-05-2011, 07:34 PM
i would like to ask just one more question on this north south thing. If all Board members are voted on " at large " is it even an issue ?

No. LOL! :D:D

brdad
02-05-2011, 08:06 PM

I'm a big boy, but not all the board members are "at large"!

surfacewarrior
02-05-2011, 09:11 PM
I'm a big boy, but not all the board members are "at large"!

I was at "beer and wings" and that might be debatable. not many of us were lean mean caching machine's. OK maybe a few.:D:D:D

Team2hunt
02-06-2011, 03:05 PM
Elections: Names of those interested in participating in the advisory board will be collected in the first week of December and voting will be held the last three weeks of December. The current board will decide on the method to collect, count and validate the votes. All geocachingmaine.org members will be allowed one vote. The votes will be tallied at the first of January and the board will be refreshed at that time. Four board members will be elected in. The webmaster is a necessary member and will hold the position of 5th board member.

Shouldn't this be a done deal, by now the 6th of February. And I guess I don't understand the clause.....The current board will decide on the method to collect, count and validate the votes.

How many different ways can there be to vote?

Foxgloves
02-06-2011, 04:18 PM
the whole process is overdue....

Current Board Members are listed here: Board Members (http://www.geocachingmaine.org/forum/showgroups.php)

Eligibility: To be eligible to participate as an Advisory Board member, the person must be an active geocachingmaine.org participant as well as an active Maine cacher who has general knowledge of laws and practices that pertain to caching in Maine. This includes non-residents but the cacher must spend more time caching in Maine than occasional vacations. Current board members are eligible for re-election. The current board shall decide whether a particular person meets these eligibility requirements or not.

Office Terms: Advisory Board members terms shall be in two year intervals ending December of even numbered years, and will be up for review at that time.

Board Reviews: In the beginning of November of even numbered years, a poll will be posted to the site asking the membership if they would like to keep the board members as is or if elections should be held to refresh the board. Thread was not even started until 12/23/2010 by BRDAD

Elections: Names of those interested in participating in the advisory board will be collected in the first week of December and voting will be held the last three weeks of December. Thread was not even started until 1/14/2011 by the Advisory board The current board will decide on the method to collect, count and validate the votes. All geocachingmaine.org members will be allowed one vote. The votes will be tallied at the first of January and the board will be refreshed at that time. Surprise…..This part hasn’t even taken place yet….Four board members will be elected in. The webmaster is a necessary member and will hold the position of 5th board member.

Vacancies: If a board member steps down or is removed from their position, the current board shall choose an eligible and willing member to take that persons seat. The membership shall be informed of this change at the time the change is finalized.

Dismissal: If at any time the board feels that one of the board members should be dismissed for not meeting eligibility requirements or for not contributing to the site and/or the sport as expected, they will discus and resolve the issue in a timely and fair manner. In the event the board member is dismissed, practices for board vacancies will be followed.

brdad
02-06-2011, 05:28 PM
Sorry, as stated in my first post of the Advisory Board Election Poll (http://www.geocachingmaine.org/forum/showthread.php?t=5011) thread, the delay has a lot to do with Rick's getting readjusted to this world after his hike. I might have been able to set it up, but I am more comfortable being a bit late than taking a chance at botching up the process. Looking back, the board could have run the polls and we would have only had to wait for the actual election, I am sorry I did not consider that and propose it to the board. Hopefully the election will happen soon.

The current board will decide on the method to collect, count and validate the votes.

How many different ways can there be to vote?

The last few elections Rick has created a special election forum where each voter posts a new thread which lists the 4 candidates he/she would like to have on the board. This post can only be seen by the original poster, Rick, and someone trustworthy (who is not on the board or a nominee) to verify the count.

While this method has worked, the quoted line was added in case a better method was decided upon.

Board Reviews: In the beginning of November of even numbered years, a poll will be posted to the site asking the membership if they would like to keep the board members as is or if elections should be held to refresh the board. [COLOR=Green]Thread was not even started until 12/23/2010 by BRDAD

Not a big deal, but this thread was posted by the board on 12-30-2010, not by me. Ok, I did it using the board's account, but the post was a collaboration of all board members. But regardless, this post was late as well, for the same reasons stated above. Advisory Board Election Poll (http://www.geocachingmaine.org/forum/showthread.php?t=5011)

TRF
02-06-2011, 05:33 PM
... ... ...
While this method has worked, the quoted line was added in case a better method was decided upon.

Throw all candidates into the Kennebec River, those that float are good, those that don't.....:D

Not advocating that it is better but it definitely is different.

brdad
02-06-2011, 05:48 PM
Throw all candidates into the Kennebec River, those that float are good, those that don't.....:D

Not advocating that it is better but it definitely is different.

I thought anything could float in the Kennebec River! :D

WhereRWe?
02-06-2011, 06:00 PM

But if they float, that means they're made of wood (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yp_l5ntikaU), which means... :eek::eek:

Foxgloves
02-06-2011, 06:21 PM
Not a big deal, but this thread was posted by the board on 12-30-2010, not by me. Ok, I did it using the board's account, but the post was a collaboration of all board members. But regardless, this post was late as well, for the same reasons stated above. Advisory Board Election Poll (http://www.geocachingmaine.org/forum/showthread.php?t=5011)

The first mention of a new advisory board upcoming election poll was on 12/23/2010 (post by Advisory Board) Do you want to elect a new advisory board?

Advisory board =BRDAD=Advisory board (same thing isn’t it???)
We all know who pushes the buttons…..and you know what they say……

If it walks like a duck it’s probably a duck.

WhereRWe?
02-06-2011, 06:40 PM

No. I know for a fact that all the members of the advisory board are very active in their discussions. Just because Brdad is the most vocal of the Advisory Board members doesn't mean that the others aren't involved.

dubord207
02-06-2011, 07:35 PM
I hereby waive any procedural or constitutional challenges!;)

brdad
02-06-2011, 08:40 PM
The first mention of a new advisory board upcoming election poll was on 12/23/2010 (post by Advisory Board) Do you want to elect a new advisory board?

I stand corrected. I had forgotten about the pre-poll post on the 23rd.

Wow, I never expected that comment, not sure if that's a good thing or not?

As Bruce says from experience serving on the board himself, I probably am the most vocal person on the board. Heck, I'm one of the most vocal people on the site. I am not, however, the board. Any posts made with the Advisory board account are presented to the entire board for discussion and editing before they are posted. Most of the time it is not posted until all members are satisfied; on rare occasion it has been only a majority. But regardless, the entire board has the opportunity to state their opinion. Once again, I am often the one to write the draft up, but it is rare when there are no edits. What can I say, I like this site, like to finish projects, have the time, and I'd like to see our site grow.

Sudonim
02-06-2011, 10:30 PM

I disagree as well. Brdad is the usual "voice" of the board, but does not post until we are united on the idea of the post.
(And I have almost never seen him walk like a duck, but if you have a video... :p )

Foxgloves
02-06-2011, 11:11 PM
(And I have almost never seen him walk like a duck, but if you have a video... :p )
Actually I screwed up my post but couldn't edit it...I meant to say:

"If it Walks like a duck, TALKS like a duck then its probably a duck"

My personal opinion is that BRDAD fits that bill (no pun intended) :p
My opinion is not going to change.

Now back to the discussion...........

Not to condone Chadd’s behavior on this site but he has made some interesting observations and I have to agree with him on a few things….. This site will never grow under the current panel.

If you want the respect of people on this site you might try being a little more communicative instead of being so secretive about everything. You should have posted back in November that the election process for a new advisory board would be postponed due to Rick’s adjustment back to civilization after his nine month absence from the site. I think most people would have understood. Thats all you had to do…is be open about it. Instead you had your excuse all made up and ready to go just in case you needed it. Its almost as if you were hoping no one would remember it was 2010 and that a new advisory board was up for renewal.

The current board needs to be renewed. It has really gotten stale. Every thread gets derailed within three posts. No one can stay on topic. Karen’s winter camping thread today is a good example of an excellent thread with opportunity for good discussion and information but already I see it getting derailed…..it seems to be a common occurance on this site and this site has turned into nothing more than a bulletin board with what people had for dinner last night.

People are tired of hearing one person’s same ole same ole opinion of what geocaching is and what it isn’t. We already know how you feel BRDAD. Stop beating the dead horse.
You have to have the last word on every post or until the post ends in your favor. You are not the Godfather of geocaching. Believe it or not your $.02 is not worth anymore than anyone elses $.02.

Now…. in support of a few people who I think would be assets to the board.
We have:

Fins_Up (Jason): If I remember correctly he has young children and is actively involved in geocaching. A perspective of geocaching with young kids and the challenges that go with it in terms of keeping them interested in this hobby/sport.

Team2hunt (Gary) He was a trainer and has the experience of talking to groups of people and educating them. He would be an added bonus to the panel because he is willing to go out and speak to groups that might benefit geocaching as a whole. He is comfortable doing that.

Dubord (Dan) We have a lawyer that knows some of the legality issues we sometimes face dealing with property owners and land management groups. That’s a good person to have on the panel.

We need a diversified group with different talents and backgrounds who are willing to make a difference and set a good example for geocachers.

masterson of the universe
02-07-2011, 02:02 AM
The current board needs to be renewed. It has really gotten stale. Every thread gets derailed within three posts. No one can stay on topic.

I believe it was already determined that attempts to keep threads on track and "moderate" them has nothing to do with the board, but is the job of the sites moderators. This seems to be something that most aren't grasping.

EMSDanel
02-07-2011, 02:20 AM
OK, ok...we all get it. This whole process was late getting started (get over it) but that has been rectified and we now know who is "in the running." It's time to list all of the candidates and let us vote on our four top choices.

And to the new Advisory Board (whomever you are) I would ask that one of your first items to consider is this "Board Reviews" issue.

Board Reviews: In the beginning of November of even numbered years, a poll will be posted to the site asking the membership if they would like to keep the board members as is or if elections should be held to refresh the board.

This is really lame. It's an unnecessary step. Just do it! Every two years hold elections, and if the same board wants to stay on they can express their interest and if new other members want to be considered they can express their interest as well. Perhaps in the first couple of years this may have seemed OK......but the site has grown, many new members are on board, and it's time to enter the modern world.

Finally, let me ask this: four people doesn't seem like a large enough number to represent a large and diverse group like ours. With the quality of the people I have seen tossing their hat into the ring this time I'm going to feel badly about voting for only four. Would you consider six? After all, with this many people stepping forward offering to help out it's a shame not to utilize their energy and talents. Also: six people could be assigned specific duties. E.G. Two could be assigned to encourage/develop new membership; two could be assigned to work on revamping the bylaws; two could be assigned to develop moderators; two could be assigned to look at ways to improve the web site (why is this all on Rick's shoulders?) , two could be assigned to develop products to sell as a way to support the group (hats, shirts, decals, mugs, pins, pens) etc., etc.

I realize that I am suggesting we become the Maine Geocaching Association instead of just an online forum. And some of you will point that out. But is it time to take that next step? I certainly think so. This thread is intended to become familiar with the candidates for the "advisory board." I think I'm "familiar" enough and ready to vote. The question I now have is this: am I voting for enough members? And why aren't we moving forward to broaden what we do like so many other states have done?

JustKev
02-07-2011, 04:31 AM
A couple of things here that people seem to be losing sight of.

One. This is a site that Rick started and maintains, usually at an expense beyond what he gets for donations, and as such it should follow the basic premise he wants it to. It seems to me that the majority of the users here are okay with that. The people who don't like the way the site is aren't necessarily wrong, they just might want to consider starting a site themselves and implement policies that satisfy their needs.

Two. The board is very active behind the scenes doing what they feel is good for this site as well as geocaching here in Maine. It doesn't have to be out in the open throughout that process. Just because BRDAD is the "mouthpiece" for the board and a moderator as well it doesn't mean he's running the site. Rick is.

TRF
02-07-2011, 07:13 AM
... ... ...
I realize that I am suggesting we become the Maine Geocaching Association instead of just an online forum. And some of you will point that out. But is it time to take that next step? I certainly think so. This thread is intended to become familiar with the candidates for the "advisory board." I think I'm "familiar" enough and ready to vote. The question I now have is this: am I voting for enough members? And why aren't we moving forward to broaden what we do like so many other states have done?

I had hinted in earlier threads and post to precisely what you are asking here. The "scope" of the board was and is a valid question to ask the candidates. I hope you get a few pm's of a similar nature that I had gotten and those alone will make it clear that some members are very resistant to explore those `"broader view' options.

Again, a valid question EMSDanel and I hope it is taken in the context that it was meant and not regarded as confrontational.

WhereRWe?
02-07-2011, 08:11 AM
We need a diversified group with different talents and backgrounds who are willing to make a difference and set a good example for geocachers.

Sheesh! That is exactly what we have now! LOL! :D:D

WhereRWe?
02-07-2011, 08:18 AM
I realize that I am suggesting we become the Maine Geocaching Association instead of just an online forum.

Actually, there already is an organization called the "Maine Geocaching Association (http://mainegeocachingassociation.com/)". :D:D

And here's an interesting thread (http://www.geocachingmaine.org/forum/showthread.php?t=193&highlight=geocachingmaine) about the establishment of GCM.org and our name - to give you some perspective on the thought processes that were involved. Please read this to understand where we came from as a first step to discussing where we are going. :D:D

Team2hunt
02-07-2011, 08:21 AM
I have seen nothing, in my opinion, confrontational about this discussion, and some really good questions have been asked in the thread. I hope I am speaking for the majority here, as we would like the site to continue to grow. I think that change is hard for some and easy for others, while change is inevitable, how much will be the question.

attroll
02-07-2011, 10:25 AM
Ok, I have to step in and say something here. I was hoping not to. Everyone keeps saying this is Rick's site. For those of you that do not know who Rick is, that is me.

Yes this site is owned by me. I do not consider it my site. I created this site many years ago to help the Geocaching Maine community unite. I have never and will never run this site as a dictator.

I remember when the board was created. I was the one that pushed to have it created. I did this for two reasons.

To have feedback and help from a group of people that I could ask for opinions from without have to deal with the long drawn out discussions in the forums. Sometimes it takes a long time to get something resolved in a forum discussion.
In hopes that some day the Geocaching Maine web site and group would become an Association. I knew that with its growth that someday this would be needed.

My main point here is, this is not Rick's site. This is your site.

WhereRWe?
02-07-2011, 12:48 PM

That's why we like you, Rick. LOL!

Fins_Up
02-07-2011, 02:21 PM
I checked out the "Maine Geocaching Association" site and it appears to be just links to shopping.

cano
02-07-2011, 02:29 PM
I checked out the "Maine Geocaching Association" site and it appears to be just links to shopping.
it's parked domain displaying ads to earn some revenue. it has nothing to do with geocaching or Maine.

WhereRWe?
02-07-2011, 02:50 PM
it's parked domain displaying ads to earn some revenue. it has nothing to do with geocaching or Maine.

It may well be less than it was at one time.

I know very little about it - other than the fact that it exists. I believe it was a fairly active organization at one time.

cano
02-07-2011, 04:23 PM
It may well be less than it was at one time - here's a link to a discussion in these forums.

This is one of the countless links you have posted that most people cannot access, so I'm just wondering who actually has access to it? A list of people would be nice. Shouldn't be a problem, right?

WhereRWe?
02-07-2011, 04:44 PM
This is one of the countless links you have posted that most people cannot access

Sorry - I may have posted a non-accessible link a couple of times (I recently posted a link for the benefit of 1 member only - stating that it was restricted. I probably could sent it in a PM, but thought it was relevant to the discussion.

I certainly have not posted "countless links" that are not accessible (two, perhaps?), and my only point in posting what I think are relevant links is to try and clarify - or correct erroneous information - posted by others.

And certain threads were restricted to the people actually involved in the discussion.

I've removed the link.

JustKev
02-07-2011, 05:38 PM

All the more reason to have a board, IMHO.

dubord207
02-07-2011, 05:57 PM
With Rick's note of today, with the result of the "poll" as to whether the members here want a board, I'd say whoever has the skill to do it should set up the voting, set a deadline and let's move on and go caching!:)

WhereRWe?
02-07-2011, 05:58 PM
All the more reason to have a board, IMHO.

Sheesh! You've got my vote! LOL!

WhereRWe?
02-07-2011, 06:00 PM
With Rick's note of today, with the result of the "poll" as to whether the members here want a board, I'd say whoever has the skill to do it should set up the voting, set a deadline and let's move on and go caching!:)

You've got my vote, too! LOL! (I agree - we need to move along with this...)

EMSDanel
02-08-2011, 08:31 AM
"You will be the only one that can see your post."

That's what it said when I went to the "voting area".

Gee, that's too bad. We're all going to vote.....and nobody will know who we voted for. It will be a tie, I guess, because ll of the candidates will get the one vote that they cast for themselves. But that's OK because I like them all.

brdad
02-08-2011, 08:38 AM
"You will be the only one that can see your post."

That's what it said when I went to the "voting area".

Gee, that's too bad. We're all going to vote.....and nobody will know who we voted for. It will be a tie, I guess, because ll of the candidates will get the one vote that they cast for themselves. But that's OK because I like them all.

Funny, Lee pointed the same thing out and had a laugh. It will all turn out well, Rick can see them and he usually chooses someone trustworthy (who is not a board member or nominee) to verify his count.

we3beans
02-08-2011, 10:46 AM
, two could be assigned to develop products to sell as a way to support the group (hats, shirts, decals, mugs, pins, pens) etc., etc.

Wish I had the little icon with the face banging his head against the wall. I agree that the website needs to be moving forward. And part of moving forward is realizing the ways of the past may not work in the future and nipping a potential problem in the bud is easier than trying to backtrack.

brdad
02-08-2011, 02:47 PM
Here ya go, W3B. I like this better than the standard smiley. :) And I agree as well, moving forward is good, and repeating errs of the past is not a good thing. But change is not always moving forward!

surfacewarrior
02-09-2011, 02:51 AM
Attached Thumbnails
http://www.geocachingmaine.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=565&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1297190792 (http://www.geocachingmaine.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=565&d=1297190792)
just how i feel when looking for micro's most times.