View Full Version : Hello from Fairfield

RattKat
01-22-2011, 05:16 PM
Hello Cachers, my wife and I just joined the Geocachers community and logged our first find today, (Old 470) in Waterville :D. Based on the entries in the log book its a popular cache.
I have a question on finding caches; what is the best way to train yourself to identify a cache? I've been looking at some of the micro cache holders on the web and it would seem that some would almost impossible to find. there has to be a technique to picking them out.

looking forward to many finds.

RattKat

WhereRWe?
01-22-2011, 05:30 PM
Hello Cachers, my wife and I just joined the Geocachers community and logged our first find today, (Old 470) in Waterville :D. Based on the entries in the log book its a popular cache.
I have a question on finding caches; what is the best way to train yourself to identify a cache? I've been looking at some of the micro cache holders on the web and it would seem that some would almost impossible to find. there has to be a technique to picking them out.
RattKat

Welcome! I'm surprised that your first find was "Old 470" - most of us tried several times before we found that one, and many of us needed "phone a friend". LOL!

As for cache containers - experience is the only thing that will help you. Even experienced caches are stumped on occasion. But that's the fun of geocaching - finding new ways to hide caches, and learning as you go.

brdad
01-22-2011, 05:34 PM
I saw your post on Old470 and was about to email when I see you already found this site. I usually try to welcome anyone that finds one of my caches as their first. Thanks for choosing my cache as your first!

Experience will be the best teacher. After a while, you'll be able to pick up subtle hints in descriptions and logs to help determine what style a cache may be as well as how it may be hidden. Of course, there will be plenty that trick you as well.

Welcome to the site and the addiction!

RattKat
01-22-2011, 06:17 PM
I have to admit this was our second attempt at finding Old 470. We had stopped on a Sunday morning right after church and didn't find it. We looked at the clue that day and wanted to give it another shot. Brdad TFTH

Fins_Up
01-22-2011, 07:55 PM
If Old 470 was your first find then you are off to a good start on how to find caches. You will pick up on hiding techniques as you go but carefully reading the cache description and checking the attributes is a great start. If I find myself stumped out in the field I will sometimes read through the last few logs to and that can be helpful. Experience is really the best teacher. Good luck and welcome to the addiction!

pm28570
01-22-2011, 07:57 PM
If you found Old 470 this early in the game......you're doing ok. Welcome to the forum and have fun. And.....there'll be an upcoming event in your area real soon. Consider attending.

Fins_Up
01-22-2011, 08:17 PM
I was just thinking the same thing pm28570. Here is a link to the event GC2HKCJ (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=a23d3c31-76a5-4936-93c9-76bf2ba18b99)which is in Windsor. This was our first event last year and we are going again this year.

RattKat
01-22-2011, 08:53 PM
Wow, I grow up just a few miles for Husseys Store. The wife and I will check the calendar and see if we can make it.

pm28570
01-22-2011, 10:06 PM
I was just thinking the same thing pm28570. Here is a link to the event GC2HKCJ (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=a23d3c31-76a5-4936-93c9-76bf2ba18b99)which is in Windsor. This was our first event last year and we are going again this year.
As well as WhereRWe's event in February. Bruce?

Fins_Up
01-23-2011, 12:06 AM
Most definitely would not miss that one. I have been waiting for it to post. We got a quilt last year as a door prize and my 6 year old son sleeps with it on his bed every night. Great event and you get all the good eats from Big G's.

ampmdp
01-23-2011, 04:35 PM
Welcome to this great hobby, and to the Geocaching community! And congratulations on "Old 470" as your first cache! I have to say our team tried that a fistfull of times before finally making the find! I second all the great advice offered so far. And as Fins_Up said, be sure to check out the previous logs to see what kinds of comments folks have had about a cache...and one of my own personal faults has been forgetting to re-read the cache title! More times than I care to admit I've been stumped, only to have another member of the team remind me of the title, which can sometimes hold additional hints. And whereas you're beginning this hobby in winter, be sure to check the cache attributes on the right side of the cache listing for "Winter Friendly," which is the picture of the snowflake. And also realize that "Winter Friendly" sometimes means the cache is above the snowline, and sometimes means that the cache location (geographically speaking) is still accessible in Winter, although the cache may be under the snow (in which case you should bring a "poking stick"). Enough from me...welcome again, and hope to see you at an event!!

-ampmdp

Ekidokai
01-24-2011, 03:41 AM
Old 470 is a good hide and a tuff one for old and new. I got advice yelled from the conductor of the train that keep going back and forth on the tracks. You may get hints from unsuspecting sources.

You have embarked on a great adventure. Caching will point you to the most beautiful and wondrous places that only a very few have encountered. From the mountain tops to the depths of lakes and ponds, this adventure has just begun for you.

Don't be afraid to ask questions as there are a lot of things that can help you on your journey. The events are a great way to meet the local cachers and see some of the equipment and tricks we use.

Welcome.

firefighterjake
01-24-2011, 08:54 AM
Come Spring time be sure to wander out to little ol' Unity . . . there are several caches out this way . . . many are not winter friendly though.

fins2right
01-28-2011, 09:49 PM
I have to admit this was our second attempt at finding Old 470. We had stopped on a Sunday morning right after church and didn't find it. We looked at the clue that day and wanted to give it another shot. Brdad TFTH

Greetings from Oakland! You will find that this area has a large number of active, really cool cachers! It's a terribly addictive habit that can be frustrating and so very rewarding. For me right now, I'm in frustration mode. So far this year I'm 0-14. :mad:

EMSDanel
02-05-2011, 12:47 AM
Greetings! I used to live on Bunker Island in Fairfield (the "exwife" is still there) and I'm very familiar with Fairfield. There are many great caches to find within 10 miles of you and you will have great fun finding them. Welcome to geocaching! You're going to love this sport.

Haffy
02-05-2011, 12:04 PM
Speaking of Fairfield I used to live there just 4 plus years ago before moving down here to Georgia via SC for 3 years but was wondering if my old cache Mill Island Park multi has been removed? I've sent a couple of emails to Gump and Gumpette concerning it's removel but have gotten no replies to my request. Could anyone who has found it before check that out for me. Thanks Haffy

Fins_Up
02-05-2011, 12:38 PM
It has been archived. I DNF'd it and no long after they disabled it and then archived it.

JFamilySebec
02-05-2011, 05:27 PM
Come Spring time be sure to wander out to little ol' Unity . . . there are several caches out this way . . . many are not winter friendly though.

I wandered down to Unity last summer and had a great day. I need to go back and get the rest of them - some nice hides there FFJ!

OP it took me two tries to find Old 470 - congrats on it being your first find!

shuman road searchers
02-05-2011, 06:56 PM
FFJ has some great hides in Unity and surrounding towns making it well worth the trip. I have truly enjoyed doing all of is hides.