View Full Version : 2005 geocachingmaine.org coin #0001

Cache Maine
01-23-2011, 08:22 AM
Good morning everyone,

I have in my possession the one and only 2005 GeocachingMaine.org coin #0001. This coin was given to me to hold on to back in 2005 at the coin event at Brewster's in Brewer. At the time, I was the coin queen. :D

Things have changed and it's time for this coin to be given someone else. The question is, who? I have thought long and hard about this and there are many deserving people who will cherish the coin as I have and honor it's meaning and the story that goes behind making this coin a reality. I have carried this coin to events, and shared the story with many.

Who do you think should receive the honor of being the caretaker of this amazing piece of Maine Geocaching history? I hope to make a decision soon so please post here and give me some ideas!

Thank you!

http://www.geocachingmaine.org/gallery/data/511/thumbs/IMG_20110123_071452.jpg (http://www.geocachingmaine.org/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/3012)

brdad
01-23-2011, 09:21 AM
Wow, if we had a headquarters office I'd carve a plaque to set it in and it could hang on the wall!

But since we don't.... ummm..... ummmm..... You're right, you do have several choices...

Maybe whoever can get the 2011 coin back on track!

pm28570
01-23-2011, 09:26 AM
Wow, if we had a headquarters office I'd carve a plaque to set it in and it could hang on the wall!

But since we don't.... ummm..... ummmm..... You're right, you do have several choices...

Maybe whoever can get the 2011 coin back on track!
This is really a great idea. Set it in a plaque and endow it to the Advisory Board for safe keeping to be displayed at events, etc.

brdad
01-23-2011, 09:38 AM
This is really a great idea. Set it in a plaque and endow it to the Advisory Board for safe keeping to be displayed at events, etc.

Hmm, that is one option - Ownership can be transferred to the Site's account. But Cameo would still have to decide on someone to entrust to it, either an individual or the board.

Cache Maine
01-23-2011, 01:55 PM
I love the idea of a plaque. I would not be comfortable entrusting it to the "board" since there is no consistent identity there. I would much rather pick a single owner.

I'm not one to beat around the bush so here are the ones that I have come. There are pros to each one. It will be a difficult decision.

1. Andy-coin king

2. Haffy-original winner

3. Rick-website owner

4. Barry-1st cache owner

There are others but those are at the top of my current list. None of them need explaining in my book, but I have included why. I am a little vague on Haffy. I'm pretty sure he is the one that won it that day at the event, and then who turned it over to me. Anyone remember differently?

Cache Maine
01-23-2011, 01:56 PM
That should read "....here are the ones that I have come up with."

Sure would be nice to edit your own posts like the old days.

Cache Maine
01-23-2011, 02:06 PM
Tim just mentioned the idea of donating the coin to the guys at Delorme to put in that amazing display case.

http://www.geocachingmaine.org/gallery/data/2/thumbs/IMG_20101106_150320.jpg (http://www.geocachingmaine.org/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/3013)

brdad
01-23-2011, 02:19 PM
Tim just mentioned the idea of donating the coin to the guys at Delorme to put in that amazing display case.

That is an idea too, that is a nice display.

If you go with a plaque, Barry certainly knows his coins, and out of your four choices, he certainly attends a lot of events and would give it a lot of coverage. If you can think up a design or solicit ideas, I'll do my best to recreate it. We can assign a TB number to it as well if you'd like to make it discoverable.

hollora
01-23-2011, 02:28 PM

http://www.geocachingmaine.org/gallery/data/2/thumbs/IMG_20101106_150320.jpg (http://www.geocachingmaine.org/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/3013)

A great idea :D - the coin would be secure :) (better than taking it to events ;)) and with it on display at DeLorme, it should be there for a long while - for Geocachers who visit from far, wide and near to see.:D:D

If the goal is for folks to be able to discover it - then a TB number is the answer.

Sudonim
01-23-2011, 05:12 PM

I like that idea too. #0001 of the first Maine coin on display where it can be seen by many more people than any one of us could show it.
(If I had it, it would spend most of it's time in a coin binder, put it at DeLorme and many people a day would see it.)

Mainiac1957
01-23-2011, 05:40 PM
That would be my pick Cammy. Sorry to see you wanting to part with it, but I'm sure you have your reasons.

Cache Maine
01-23-2011, 06:14 PM
That would be my pick Cammy. Sorry to see you wanting to part with it, but I'm sure you have your reasons.

It just sits in a binder and nobody sees it anymore. I'm surprised anybody even remembered that I had it.

JustKev
01-23-2011, 06:16 PM
I agree that donating it to Delorme would give it a lot of exposure to many, many cachers. Were I in Cammie's, position I think that would be the way I would go. Still, it's your coin, Cammie, which ever way you decide to go is the right way.

attroll
01-23-2011, 08:49 PM
I am not sure about the donating thing. I like the idea of letting Delorme put it on display. Maybe someone can talk to them about putting it on display with the understanding that it still belongs to Geocaching Maine.

JustKev
01-23-2011, 09:32 PM
I am not sure about the donating thing. I like the idea of letting Delorme put it on display. Maybe someone can talk to them about putting it on display with the understanding that it still belongs to Geocaching Maine.

I think Mr Troll has a point here.

Someone wanna loan him a hat to cover it up with? :eek:

hollora
01-23-2011, 11:44 PM
attroll ~ Come on Rick - if that is what you believe then you are the one who should "talk to them"!

Opalsns
01-24-2011, 08:24 AM
Give it to EMSDanel.
He IS Most Deserving of This precious coin. i'm sure he would bring it to every event he goes to and folks could get there pic taken with it.

Opalsns
01-24-2011, 08:27 AM
Not to stir up anything, but The Troll has the right idea as...
9/10 s of the law is posession = ownership, I think......

Haffy
01-25-2011, 08:33 PM
Hey I won it and donated it back to the site so I say you guys decide what to do with it and I'll go along with whatever is decided. I do like the idea of donating it to Delorme,just mention that the original owner was me....LOL

Cache Maine
01-26-2011, 08:23 AM
Hey I won it and donated it back to the site so I say you guys decide what to do with it and I'll go along with whatever is decided. I do like the idea of donating it to Delorme,just mention that the original owner was me....LOL

To the site? I don't remember that. Seems like you would have given the coin to Rick, not me.

Why don't you give me your address and I'll send the coin to you and since you are the original winner, YOU can decide where it goes and make all the arrangements and make everyone happy.

Sudonim
01-26-2011, 07:19 PM
As I remember, Haffy won the coin and gave it back to Cameo, something like "you kicked off the coin thing, you should hold onto this coin" or something like that.

We haven't heard from Barry on this, but the other three people that you mentioned all seem to like the DeLorme's suggestion. Sounds like a consensus here...

Cache Maine
01-26-2011, 08:06 PM
I guess the point of this thread has changed a little....

I thought I was the one that had the privilege to make the choice and I was looking for ideas. I was not looking for a consensus....I was not looking for anyone to claim ownership...all I wanted was to find a suitable home for a great coin.

Now it seems like that is all up in the air...

Several people have suggested to me that I should just keep it....maybe they are right.

brdad
01-26-2011, 09:01 PM
I say you are the current holder, take your time and think it over. Until you decide, it's in good hands. :)

attroll
01-27-2011, 01:14 AM
Yes, I remember he gave it to the site/group. If I remember correctly, the reason he gave it to you was because you were the coin queen at the time and you also created a Geocaching Maine the book that you were brining to all the events.

Cache Maine
01-27-2011, 08:09 AM
Time to muddy the waters some more!

As I see it after reviewing all the logs for the 2005 coin event, the coin actually belongs to Haffy. He won it fair and square, and I will send it to him. It will be up to him what is done with it. I will only send it to Haffy.

Here is my log from the event:

December 10, 2005 by Cache Maine (1154 found)

What a great event. I have been looking forward to this day for a long time. When I first brought up the "silly" idea last February, I never dreamed that the coin thing would be this big. I am the first to admit that a person can get really overwhelmed and wrapped up into the geocoin craze. Left the AHOY and Star Wars TB's, picked up the Maine Coin and the Juliette Gordon TB. On a more personal note, I'd like to recognize a few people for various reasons.

Sudonim: You picked this up where I left off and ran full force with it. The coin as a result is incredible, truly remarkable and beautiful as well. I know full well about the sleepless nights, energy, time, and spirit you have given to make this a reality. The gold coin was a big surprise...Thank you.

Tat: Thank you for helping when the coin process was rocky. You were the one that kept order and remained optimistic about the process and the fact that a Maine coin was "still a good idea."

YOP: Thank you for the use of your picture for the back of the coin.

Mainiac1957: The way caching should be...you had better believe it. Thank you.

Haffy: Thank you for giving the #0001 coin to the group. It was very thoughtful and a gesture that won't soon be forgotten. I will keep it safe for all to enjoy. Everyone thanks you.

Attroll: Thank you for maintaining our online presence so that we can discuss coins and everything else, and also for the use of the logo on the front of the coin.

Wudeater & Wife, Beach Comber & Becket: My support staff since day one of the coin process. You three were there when I needed you and I truly appreciate it.

Pedalchic: Thank you for being there for Sudonim when he needed somebody. :)

Congratulations to T2H on their 300th find, to Haffy and YOP on their 500th finds...great day for milestones. Congratulations also to the two who will be married soon. What great news!

And to answer that ever famous question, "We have a coin?" Yes, we have a coin. Happy Holidays everyone...look forward to seeing you all on the snowy trail soon.