View Full Version : Premium membership

lefty
06-21-2005, 04:04 PM
I just got it at gc.com and was wondering if one of you guys could give me tips on pocket querries and your combinations of software and or pda (palm) freeware to use.
tia

Lefty

WhereRWe?
06-21-2005, 05:17 PM
Cool! We'll make a REAL cacher out of you yet! LOL!

But I think the general consensus would be that you need Cachemate for your PDA, and it's only $8. And GSAK is only $20 - it's a fairly small investment for probably the 2 best cache management programs.

If there's any GOOD freeware out there, I'm not aware of it.

:D

Cache'n Jacksons
06-21-2005, 07:02 PM
I agree with WhereRWe: both CacheMate (http://www.smittyware.com/palm/cachemate/) and GSAK (http://www.gsak.net/) are worthwhile investments. Both programs are shareware; you can download limited trial versions for free and test drive them. CacheMate is limited to 10 caches, and I think GSAK has a nag screen after 3 weeks. Cachemate development has ebbed a bit, but Clyde puts out significant GSAK updates about once a month.

Another Palm app that I have found useful is Tide Tool. It uses mathematical algorithmns to predict (accurately!) the tides at points along the coast. I've used it several times while kayaking or planning beach trips. It is also very useful for TAT's Tidal Earthcache (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=e8462a7d-38ff-494a-880a-9c0f9fd9cbe0) and Water Walker (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=e81c1ded-e395-4d8f-b3b3-8b633f2b9351) by Khali1. :cool:

WhereRWe?
06-21-2005, 07:08 PM
Cachemate development has ebbed a bit, but Clyde puts out significant GSAK updates about once a month.

Sheesh! Seems like I get a GSAK update one a WEEK, at least! LOL!

And if you have problems with it, Clyde is VERY willing to help - especially if you discover a bug. He's always trying to improve the product.

Cache'n Jacksons
06-21-2005, 07:13 PM
Sheesh! Seems like I get a GSAK update one a WEEK, at least! LOL!
You must be on the Gold plan!! :D Last update I got before June 14 was May 3. Maybe I should have slid a little extra $ his way when I registered it? ;)

Hoamdezinahs
02-07-2006, 09:11 PM
Have to agree with the others. I just got a palm pilot for my birthday in Dec, and couldn't live without it now. My truck is no longer carpeted with cache sheets. I also use cachemate and gsak and feel they are worth the money. 28 bucks for the both, how do you beat it. Like any software you still have a learning curve. I figure I'll have it all figured out in about a year or two, but for now it's serving my needs exceptionally well. John

WhereRWe?
02-08-2006, 08:33 PM
Have to agree with the others. I just got a palm pilot for my birthday in Dec, and couldn't live without it now.

Note: From what I've seen, you can use almost ANY Palm model for GSAK. Although the Zire models are great, you can get a Palm VII for about $35 on eBay, and I know it can handle GSAK. (As a matter of fact, I have a Palm VII I'd be willing to sell...)

Starzz
02-08-2006, 08:38 PM
(As a matter of fact, I have a Palm VII I'd be willing to sell...)

How much?? Im looking for one! :D

Hiram357
02-08-2006, 09:04 PM
Note: From what I've seen, you can use almost ANY Palm model for GSAK. Although the Zire models are great, you can get a Palm VII for about $35 on eBay, and I know it can handle GSAK. (As a matter of fact, I have a Palm VII I'd be willing to sell...)

is is decent for caching?? if yes i challenge starzz to a marshmallow throwing contest over rights to buying it from you. :D

WhereRWe?
02-09-2006, 08:27 AM
How much?? Im looking for one! :D

Well, let me throw some batteries in it, load Cachemate and make sure it works OK before I start quoting prices. I'll get back to you in a day or so. My house is in an uproar right now as they're installing flooring and new ceilings, and there is furniture and junk piled EVERYWHERE! LOL!

Starzz
02-09-2006, 09:14 AM
Well, let me throw some batteries in it, load Cachemate and make sure it works OK before I start quoting prices. I'll get back to you in a day or so. My house is in an uproar right now as they're installing flooring and new ceilings, and there is furniture and junk piled EVERYWHERE! LOL!

Sounds good to me!! Thanks!

Hiram357
02-09-2006, 04:29 PM
I'll pay a dollar more than what starz is gunna pay!

Starzz
02-09-2006, 04:55 PM
I'll pay a dollar more than what starz is gunna pay!

Hey now, play fair, damn it!!! ;):D;)

kayakerinme
02-09-2006, 05:07 PM

Not to worry Starzz. I'll kick in 21 nickels beyond what you offer so you 'll be all set :p

Unless I get a better offer from Hiram :D:D

WhereRWe?
02-09-2006, 06:21 PM

Hmmm... Now that I think about it, there was this cache behind a sign on Campobello Island that we couldn't find, and the owner wouldn't give us a hint...

What to do, what to do...

:confused: :confused: :confused:

Sheesh! I see that there is currently on on eBay with an opening bid of 1 penny - no reserve.

But this one comes with a portable keyboard...

:D :D :D

Starzz
02-09-2006, 08:47 PM
Hmmm... Now that I think about it, there was this cache behind a sign on Campobello Island that we couldn't find, and the owner wouldn't give us a hint...

What to do, what to do...

let me have the palm? hahaha ;)

Hiram357
02-12-2006, 09:46 AM
ill throw in a sixer of whatever beer ya like to to the nickels :D :D :D

Starzz
02-13-2006, 04:23 PM
Well, let me throw some batteries in it, load Cachemate and make sure it works OK before I start quoting prices. I'll get back to you in a day or so.

*taps foot!!* Ok! Its been 4 days!! hehehe :D

WhereRWe?
02-13-2006, 06:09 PM
*taps foot!!* Ok! Its been 4 days!! hehehe :D

Sorry - I'm not even sure where it is right now. Things are piled everywhere. I do have my computer in the "new" computer room, though. :D :D

As soon as RULOST2? gets the second coat of paint on the "old" computer room, we can move a lot of stuff in there so they can start on the living room flooring.
Since it's probably in one of the boxes in the living room, we should find it tomorrow.

Which reminds me - I should plug the local product again. We're installing "Antique Ash" flooring from Kennebec Lumber here in Solon. The logs are swan here, sent to Canada for finishing, and returned to Skowhegan to be sold. It's really great stuff, and fairly reasonable, too. (They have maple and oak, as well).

Since we're having the wood on our property cut, and some of the ash logs were sold to Kennebec Lumber, we're telling ourselves that our flooring is from our own trees. Cool! :D :D

Hiram357
02-13-2006, 06:55 PM
are ya making a brewing room too??? with ash brewing vats?? :D :D

WhereRWe?
02-13-2006, 08:03 PM
are ya making a brewing room too??? with ash brewing vats?? :D :D

I've made some very good home-brew. Haven't made any in a while, although I'm considering buying some 5-gallon Cornelius kegs (like Coke/Pepsi comes in) to make draft home-brew. I know it's cheaper than cans/bottles, but paying $100 for a commercial keg of beer upsets me! LOL!

Hiram357
02-13-2006, 09:09 PM
I've made some very good home-brew. Haven't made any in a while, although I'm considering buying some 5-gallon Cornelius kegs (like Coke/Pepsi comes in) to make draft home-brew. I know it's cheaper than cans/bottles, but paying $100 for a commercial keg of beer upsets me! LOL!

$100!!! where do you buy your beer from, pleaseripmeoff.com????

WhereRWe?
02-14-2006, 08:25 AM
$100!!! where do you buy your beer from, pleaseripmeoff.com????

Jokas. Not many places where you can walk in and buy a keg. You usually have to order and wait 4-5 days.

But the best price I've seen is $84 at the Bangor ANG Base - and that's tax free, too.

:D :D

(Now, if you know where one could getr a better price, such information would be very welcome... :rolleyes: :rolleyes: )

Hiram357
02-14-2006, 09:37 PM
joka's is where i get my keg's too, and i usually only pay about 70 (before the deposit) and i dont think i've ever had to wait to get em, (i guess it's who ya know... or how much ya drink) and i own my own tap too which makes it nice. :D :D :D

WhereRWe?
02-15-2006, 08:08 AM
joka's is where i get my keg's too, and i usually only pay about 70 (before the deposit) and i dont think i've ever had to wait to get em, (i guess it's who ya know... or how much ya drink) and i own my own tap too which makes it nice. :D :D :D

I guess you must know someone at Joka's! LOL! I bought a keg there last month and it cost me over $100 - and I returned an empty keg so there was no deposit. :confused: :confused:

Hiram357
02-15-2006, 05:07 PM
wow, they must not like you. :p

WhereRWe?
02-15-2006, 05:34 PM
wow, they must not like you. :p

Sheesh! I don't know why not! I clean out a lot of their old stock and buy a lot of their "distressed beer" at 50 cents a bottle! LOL!

Hiram357
02-16-2006, 10:21 PM
wow man... thats hardcore right there... are you sure we haven't met in there before????

WhereRWe?
02-17-2006, 08:02 AM
wow man... thats hardcore right there... are you sure we haven't met in there before????

Geocachers are supposed to be wearing pins when not carrying their GPSr's so as to recognize each other. Mine says "Maine Geocaching. Been there,done that".

What does your pin say? LOL!

Hiram357
02-17-2006, 01:29 PM
well, i just came from there and didn't see anyone wearing any pins, so you must've already stocked up for the weekend :D

Starzz
02-26-2006, 09:19 AM
Soooooooo.... hows that Palm VII doing? ;)

WhereRWe?
02-26-2006, 01:48 PM
Soooooooo.... hows that Palm VII doing? ;)

Still in a box somewhere.

Will probably be a while. The saws they're using put so much fine dust into the air that we're keeping things boxed and covered until they're done. We did move the computers, the kegerator and RULOST2?'s rocking chair from the "old computer room" to the "new computer room" as soon as they finished the flooring in the new room.

But that's as far as we're going until they're done.

But hey! I do have good news! They've finished the tile in the downstairs bathroom, and we get the toilet back in tomorrow. Now RULOST2? won't have to go to the upstairs bathroom and I won't have to go outside! LOL!