View Full Version : Paperless caching

Geomaineiacs
06-30-2004, 03:50 PM
Could someone briefly explain how paperless caching works? Can you somehow download the text from a cache page to a PDA?

brdad
06-30-2004, 04:26 PM
If you are a paying member of gc.com, you can download individual cache pages in a GPX format, which includes The cache coordinates, description, hints, And the last 5 logs.

As a member, you can also download Pocket Queries (http://www.geocaching.com/pocket/) (Again, in GPX format). You are allowed 5 queries per day, and each query can include up to 500 caches. These files contain all information mentioned before, plus any logs you have made to the cache page.

From there there are several options depending on what you are using for paperless hardware. I have a palm, so I use a program called cachemate (http://www.smittyware.com) ($7) which will convert the GPX file to a format the palm can use.

Paperless caching is great! I get two pocket queries - one of my found caches, and one of my unfound Maine caches. If i ever get side tracked (which happens often!), I always have all Maine caches loaded in my PDA.

If you use a Laptop, you can use a program like Watcher (http://www.clayjar.com) to view the GPX files.

brdad
06-30-2004, 04:32 PM
There is also an alternative tutorial on paperless caching at Geocacher University (http://www.geocaching.com/pocket/)

parmachenee
06-30-2004, 04:43 PM
We have an old Gateway P2 laptop that works great with Watcher. As brdad mentioned, you can do queries with numerous filters, up to 5 a day, and store them on the laptop. We still need EasyGPS to download the waypoints, but it is much faster in bulk. You have all the info on the cache page, including the last 3-4 logs. This has already saved us from wasting time on a cache that had been removed. We bought an ac/dc power inverter for the car so we don't have to worry about the battery going dead. You can make and store notes for each cache for reference later. You can sort in many different ways...especially sorting in distance from a particular cache can be helpful. Multi-caches can be a problem...you either have to make notes or print these out beforehand if you know you are going to do them. We definitely prefer it on a road trip.

Haffy
06-30-2004, 07:12 PM
I just started paperless this past week and boy do I like it. I have cachemate on my Palm Zire 71 that I got from Smittyware.com for only 7 bux, well worth every penny.I get pocket queries that I just hotsync into my palm and I'm all set to go. I do have both Watcher and GSAK on my home desktop but I really don't use it or havent seen any need for it right now.Going down the road I just look for nearest cache and look it up on my palm and head right for it,well with a little help from my Maine Gazetteer.Pretty cool if you ask me and it helps save a tree or 2 also.

Bluegrass Gyrl
06-30-2004, 07:43 PM
I use Plucker on my PDA...I can't see how to do searches like you describe Haffy...How do you sort the list so you can get nearby caches. It seems I can only sort by cache name (alphabetical) or my cache ID. Is it a limitation of plucker?

Haffy
06-30-2004, 08:06 PM
Well none of my caches are nearby for me now...lol I have an idea which direction I am heading and then watch my GPS in the car and nearest caches and just go from there.

brdad
06-30-2004, 10:35 PM
I use Plucker on my PDA...I can't see how to do searches like you describe Haffy...How do you sort the list so you can get nearby caches. It seems I can only sort by cache name (alphabetical) or my cache ID. Is it a limitation of plucker?

I think Haffy uses his GPS to see the nearest, then looks it up on the PDA.

But with cachemate, you can sort from a cache or from coords you enter. It takes a minute to do the calculation, but I've used the sort function a few times and it's real handy! I don't think plucker can do that, but I never played with it much.

Haffy
06-30-2004, 11:01 PM
Yep that's how I do it.

Bluegrass Gyrl
07-01-2004, 07:02 AM
This may sound really dumb....I only input waypoints on my way to caches...therefore the waypoints stored on my GPS are usually only found ones. Can you upload a whole PQ to your gps? how?

Mainiac1957
07-01-2004, 07:32 AM
with easy GPS or expert GPS software. You can do a batch upload. I will change the alpha-numeric waypoit name to a close resembilance of the cache name. Then when I'm out I can do nearest waypoint. Then I can check the PDA for the description. Viola...paperless. If you put a big enough area in you can go caching where ever you happen to be. I run PQ to only give me new caches so when I convert them for cachemate it'll only be the new ones.

brdad
07-01-2004, 08:55 AM
This may sound really dumb....I only input waypoints on my way to caches...therefore the waypoints stored on my GPS are usually only found ones. Can you upload a whole PQ to your gps? how?

All this technology and you're punching in waypoints one by one? :D

Assuming you have a cable for your GPS, there are several ways. The simplest is probably to use EasyGPS (http://www.easygps.com).

I usually sort my PQ and just enter my unfound caches into my GPS. Then I try to remember to delete the waypoint after I get back to my car (But anyone that has noticed what my memory is like knows that doesn't happen all the time).

Foxgloves
07-01-2004, 09:43 AM
Paperless caching is the best thing since….well you know.;)

Seriously, you will never go back once you’ve tried it. A good friend and legendary geocacher icon from Upstate NY (Rusty O Junk) introduced me to paperless caching. He showed me his setup and within 2 weeks I had ordered a PDA and have to say its one of the best investments you will ever make (from a geocachnig point of view). I use GPX Sonar and Mapopolis on my PDA and I find that those are the only two programs I need and they compliment eachother.

If you are a premium member you can download pocket queries with up to 500 waypoints per querie.. I have a separate querie for each of the states I cache in. VT, NH, NY and (soon to be) Maine :) and also a separate querie for all my found caches. I have them scheduled to be delivered at the end of the week so that I always have the most current /updated information.

I carry my PDA and GPS with me when I travel. I will look up on Mapopolis where the nearest caches are and then switch over to GPX Sonar and get cache information. Most all the important info on the cache page will show up on your PDA including the hint which can be decrypted (should you need it) by just selecting the text. It will also show you if any TB’s are in the cache and will give you the last 4-5 log entries.

It really is wonderful and you will love it. I think Rusty has sold about 4 people and (maybe more by now) on this latest technology. If he got a commission he could give up his fulltime job and geocache fulltime instead. ;)

Team Trout
07-01-2004, 09:47 AM
I get two pocket queries - one of my found caches, and one of my unfound Maine caches.

That's a great idea. I can't believe I never thought of that. I've been getting 2 files, one with all the nearest caches I haven't done and don't own and one with all the nearest caches.

Pooh and friends
07-01-2004, 10:55 AM
My idea of paperless caching is when I forget the print out at home. I have used EasyGPS but find myself more often than not just punching in the cords by hand like Bluegrass Gyrl, on the way there. What I would like to see is something like a Delorme Maine Atlas "special edition" with all the caches in it and info on each in the front or back.

brdad
07-01-2004, 11:00 AM
My idea of paperless caching is when I forget the print out at home. I have used EasyGPS but find myself more often than not just punching in the cords by hand like Bluegrass Gyrl, on the way there. What I would like to see is something like a Delorme Maine Atlas "special edition" with all the caches in it and info on each in the front or back.

I actually mark a Delorme atlas with all the caches, and highlight them when I find them. But I still need the cache info in my Palm. Some people say I'm addicted, but .... oh wait, there's a new cache to mark....

Team Trout
07-01-2004, 11:12 AM
What I would like to see is something like a Delorme Maine Atlas "special edition" with all the caches in it and info on each in the front or back.

Boy, something like that would be outdated the minute after it was printed. I have trouble just keeping my PDA & GPS updated with the newest caches.

I think the only way to get something like that is do this is to do what brdad does and do it yourself.

Haffy
07-01-2004, 04:46 PM
I just create a file,lets say I call it Maine caches.All my queries go into this file and when I open up CM Convert, I drag this file into it and cachemate downloads all of them at once the next time I do a hotsync. I think we ought to have someone at the next event give us all a demonstration of the different ways that we can go paperless. Maybe someone could bring in their laptop and PDA and such and we could see how easy it really is. I am still a newbie to all this but am starting to get the hang of it slowly but surely. I see Parmachenee and The "G" Team have laptops and maybe they could give us a demonstration. What does everyone think? Myself, I learn better if I see it done once or twice than trying to figure it out on my own or through instruction booklets,but thats just me. That probably doesnt make much sense but thats the best I could do. Haffy6

The G Team
07-01-2004, 09:25 PM
I will put together a little demo of PQ, GSAK, Streets and Trips and MapSend. Hope the have the "Caches along a route" thing totally figured out soon. Also, have a new HP iPaq coming so will be learning that too.

Michael

WhereRWe?
07-02-2004, 05:47 PM
Anyone take a laptop with them on long caching trips? Anyone use a cellular modem with their laptop? I've taken it with me on a couple of trips where I was able to plug the laptop into the phone at a motel, but we're going to be doing a lot of camping this summer and in the future, and I want to be able to use the laptop...

Comments?

Haffy
07-02-2004, 06:03 PM
You might want to check with Parmachenee and the "G" Team cause they use their laptop in the car I think ?

The G Team
07-02-2004, 07:05 PM
We really haven't done any long trips. I download all the PQs to the laptop--since you can do up to 500 caches in a PQ, you can have pretty much every cache in the state in one file. GSAK gives you all the cache info and you can download waypoints to the GPSr, if you want.

You could generate PQs for the areas you will be traveling in--the only danger would be that the info might get out of date.

I have never looked into cell modems, but have a feeling they (and/or the service) is cost prohibitive.

A better plan, IMHO, is to have a wireless (WIFI) card in your laptop. There are "hot spots" in just about every town/city where you can jump on the Internet (do a google search for "wardriving" for more info and tools). Note that this may not be 100% legal, depending upon whose signal you are catching.

Many hotels, coffee houses, etc. have free wireless--many businesses and individuals have (purposely or foolishly) non-encrypted wireless routers. A quick jump on the Internet to check email and new caches, and you're good to go.

Oh yeah, do remember that if you can see *their* network, they can see *yours*--disabling file sharing on your HD (if you've enabled it for a home network) is a good idea before using public networks. Also, folks with "packet sniffers" can grab usernames and passwords from your transmissions (though they can do that in wired networks as well). :eek:

That's my .02

Michael

WhereRWe?
07-04-2004, 07:50 AM
"Wardriving" really sounds interesting, but it may be a little technical for this old grey head. It sure looks like it would be good for a trip like the one we're planning for theLewiston area this week - there must be hotspots there.

parmachenee
07-04-2004, 09:06 AM
We have mainly done day trips with our laptop...doing our PQs just before leaving so we have the most recent data. I do queries for certain areas and if I want a larger area I just merge them, one of the features of Watcher. If we are staying overnight, I have an AOL account, which I don't actually use much, but maintain for my children. It allows you to dial up from anywhere you can access a phone line though. We just finished a day trip through NH and picked up a couple of caches we would have missed without our laptop. I can't imagine going back to paper...except, of course, using the old, rainsoaked, marked-up Delorme. :)

WhereRWe?
07-19-2004, 05:05 PM
OK - lets take this a step further.

What PDA units are you using? I have an old Palm VII that I've generally stopped using because I always forget to charge the battery - I keep losing my data..

Is this too old for some of the software I've seen mentioned - Mapopolis, etc?

brdad
07-19-2004, 05:35 PM
I have a used Palm Vi I replaced the digitizer screen on, I just have cachemate on it for caching software, but works great and lasts about 3 days of caching before needing recharge.

I wouldn't want anything too fancy because A. I'm rough on equipment B. I'm clumsy.

Mainiac1957
07-19-2004, 08:11 PM
I have been using a Palm Zire 71 for about 8 months. I really fills all my needs well. I have the registered version of Cachemate to use with PQ's. I bought DeLorme's Street Atlas Handheld ($39.00) and an expantion card to hold plenty of maps. I link the PDA and my E-trex Vista together with a cable I bought online and this gives me both moving maps as well as the ability to mark a location ( such as a cache waypoint) on the map thus giving me a road to get to a cache. Many times in unfamiliar territory I didn't know the roads well enough to get close without going around in circles. This took care of the problem. The Zire 71 also has a built in camera, letting me get a snapshot of the cache in a good size to post in my gallery. The Zire 71 has been replaced by the 72, but I'm sure many place have 71 on clearance. Making it a great time to buy. The lithium batteries onboard seem to have a really good lasting time. If turned on accidently they will eventually kill it. All in all I've had great luck with it. The avatar of my dog Jock was taken with it. It's been cropped way down so it does appear a little grainy. Still not too bad.

Geochicks
07-19-2004, 10:03 PM
I have been using a Palm Zire 71 for about 8 months. I really fills all my needs well.

God, I love my Zire 71. It's a cachers bestfriend. I know Haffy has it too, and I think ~NIMH~ had one too. So that's atleast 4 of us, just in Maine that use it.

WhereRWe?
07-20-2004, 07:02 AM
Hmmm... Lets see... Zire 71 now going for $129 on eBay... Time to use up that cash I've got sitting in my PayPal account? :p

Mainiac1957
07-20-2004, 07:31 AM
I wish I had only paid 129 for mine. I paid 229 and that was a deal at the time.

Geochicks
07-20-2004, 12:28 PM
I wish I had only paid 129 for mine. I paid 229 and that was a deal at the time.

I'm lucky.. mine was free. I got it for Xmas. Course I spent $350 on an iPod for hubby.

attroll
07-20-2004, 12:47 PM
Hmmm... Lets see... Zire 71 now going for $129 on eBay... Time to use up that cash I've got sitting in my PayPal account? :p
I have been watching eBay and the cheapist I have seen one gor for is about $179 so far for a winning bid. Be careful when you bid though. I bid on one and won it for $125 then found out it was not American money and I am still trying to iron it out with the seller.

WhereRWe?
07-20-2004, 02:41 PM
I have been watching eBay and the cheapist I have seen one gor for is about $179 so far for a winning bid. Be careful when you bid though. I bid on one and won it for $125 then found out it was not American money and I am still trying to iron it out with the seller.

Well, the Zire 71 is in the mail.

The Palm website had a special on "open box" units for $148, with free USB cradle. I'm a sucker for "refurbished" and "factory inspected" stuff, and I'm a regular at Mardens and Caswell's. I've also been known to fight off other shoppers at the "reduced for quick sale" meat counter at Shaw's and Hannaford...

Here's a link is anyone is interested:
http://store.palmone.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1818438

Mainiac1957
07-20-2004, 03:11 PM
:D I hope to see you at " A Good Day for Good Wings" (shameless plug) where I can unload my infinite knowlege base on Zire workings upon you :rolleyes: .

Haffy
07-20-2004, 03:17 PM
Make sure you get Cachemate software for it also. You can get it at www.smittyware.com, you won't regret it.It's only 7 bux and worth every penny. I think you can get a trial of it at the website. Great price! I got mine about 4 months ago for about 160 bux with the cradle and 2 wallets for it,one that has a belt loop not too bad but not as good a price as you got it for.

WhereRWe?
07-21-2004, 08:16 AM
:D I hope to see you at " A Good Day for Good Wings" (shameless plug) where I can unload my infinite knowlege base on Zire workings upon you :rolleyes: .

I fully expect to be there, and will welcome your help! :p

RanMan22
08-15-2004, 11:41 AM
Well, I did my first few "Paperless Geocaches" yesterday. It was nice having all the info right at my fingertips. It'll be nice if I'm ever off the beaten path and want to see if there are any caches nearby. I did pretty well, just need to get used to not having the paper at hand and doing everything with the PDA.

-RanMan22

Cache'n Jacksons
08-15-2004, 01:49 PM
Same here... we did our first two paperless caches yesterday, and I love it! I picked up a PalmIII on eBay (http://www.ebay.com) for $11.50 (my old one was on the blink), and I'm using the trial version of Cachemate (http://www.smittyware.com/palm/cachemate) right now. I'll pay the $7 soon because this is really the way to go. I think a laptop would be even more cool, because I could have my USAPhotoMaps (http://www.jdmcox.com/) data for topos and aerial photos, and also Street Atlas USA (http://www.delorme.com)for directions. I should be buying stock in Duracell. :)

attroll
08-15-2004, 02:02 PM
We did our first paperless cache last weekend. It was great not having to carry the papers with you. We did not find the cache but it was still great not having to carry a folder around.

We did Old Speck Spectacle (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=0462894b-6d25-4ba4-bd60-c84d996b1dc4) and looked in every hole and crevice and could not find the cache. I would like to know if it is still there. But now all I can do is wait to see if the next person finds it.

Cache Maine
08-15-2004, 08:09 PM
Same here... we did our first two paperless caches yesterday, and I love it! I picked up a PalmIII on eBay (http://www.ebay.com/) for $11.50 (my old one was on the blink), and I'm using the trial version of Cachemate (http://www.smittyware.com/palm/cachemate) right now. I'll pay the $7 soon because this is really the way to go. I think a laptop would be even more cool, because I could have my USAPhotoMaps (http://www.jdmcox.com/) data for topos and aerial photos, and also Street Atlas USA (http://www.delorme.com/)for directions. I should be buying stock in Duracell. :)Ohhh! You guys make it sound so simple...I just need to try it. I was thinking that I would need to have this big expensive pda, all these cords, a super duper gpsr..and blue teeth!?!?!?!?! Yuck! :p he he heh

Geomaineiacs
08-16-2004, 10:11 PM
We did our first paperless cache last weekend. It was great not having to carry the papers with you. We did not find the cache but it was still great not having to carry a folder around.

We did Old Speck Spectacle (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=0462894b-6d25-4ba4-bd60-c84d996b1dc4) and looked in every hole and crevice and could not find the cache. I would like to know if it is still there. But now all I can do is wait to see if the next person finds it.

Not to be too off topic, but I found Old Speck Spectacle to be very hard to find. We looked a long time.

attroll
08-17-2004, 12:26 AM
Not to be too off topic, but I found Old Speck Spectacle to be very hard to find. We looked a long time.
We looked a very long time for it to. We did not want to walk back down after doing that far up. So we looked real good. The hints said it was right close to the trail there is a arge rock with a hole somewhere arouind it. We looked in every hole and around every rock up and down the trail for 75 feet in each direction. We even went off the trail for a bit. Oh Well maybe I can find someone at the picnic in Sept that has found it and find out if it is missing. I don't want to get into to much detail and have someone give it away here in case it is still there.

Cache Maine
08-25-2004, 08:48 AM
Anybody using one of these new pda's with the gps built in? Any luck with them?

I saw a HP PDA with a GPS bluetooth logger in action last night. WOW! Double WOW! Very nice set up...it will set you back over $500.00. They had Mapopolis installed and it gave verbal directions which was very cool. In the meantime, my Legend is sitting on the dash still trying to lock a sat or two... :)

brdad
08-25-2004, 06:59 PM
...They had Mapopolis installed and it gave verbal directions which was very cool...

Verbal, as in "It's under that pile of sticks over there, dummy!"? ;)

Cache Maine
08-25-2004, 07:27 PM
Well, not THAT good...but pretty close...Turn here, turn there, turn around, your going the wrong way kinda thing.

WhereRWe?
09-02-2004, 09:17 AM
Anyone using Street Atlas USA Handheld for paperless caching? I have Street Atlas and Topo USA, and am able to upload waypoints to Topo, but not to Street Atlas.

Any suggestions? Hints?

I have a Palm Zire 71, an eTrex Legend and a laptop that go with me all the time now.

attroll
09-02-2004, 09:37 AM
I have the same issue. You can create a waypoints in Street Atlas but not with coordinates. You can only use the GOTO function and then touch the screen and it will be close but not accurate.

WhereRWe?
09-02-2004, 04:28 PM
I have the same issue. You can create a waypoints in Street Atlas but not with coordinates. You can only use the GOTO function and then touch the screen and it will be close but not accurate.

Well, there is a way, but you have to also have Topo USA. You can upload a set of waypoints to Topo from the GPS, then to the PDA. They will show up on the map downloaded to the PDA from Street Atlas. But why doesn't Street Atlas use draw layers like Topo does? I thought that would be a "fix" in Street Atlas 2005, but I guess not. Can't really see any improvement in 2005 over 2004...

attroll
09-03-2004, 12:16 AM
Well, there is a way, but you have to also have Topo USA. You can upload a set of waypoints to Topo from the GPS, then to the PDA. They will show up on the map downloaded to the PDA from Street Atlas. But why doesn't Street Atlas use draw layers like Topo does? I thought that would be a "fix" in Street Atlas 2005, but I guess not. Can't really see any improvement in 2005 over 2004...
I am also disapointed in 2005 vise 2004. I also have Topo 5.0. I will have to try what you said. I have the whole state of Maine on my PDA with Topo 5.0. But I do not see any of my waypoints on it. Did you have to save it as a routable map to get the waypoints on it?

Mainiac1957
09-03-2004, 07:18 AM
I think you guys have me confused. I can enter coords on my PDA in Street Atlas then mark and name it. I assume this is not what you are trying to do,right? I use this feature when I link the Zire and the Vista together. With a waypoint marked on the map it gives me a map overlay to drive to a cache,or as close to it as roads allow.This is not as effective as doing it on the desktop,but works. As for as SA 2004 vs 2005. I like the fact that the roads (ie interstates) are updated. You can now also have multiple routes on at the same time which may be handy too.I guess we can figure it out next weekend. The weather IS going to be cooperative,RIGHT!!!!!!!!! Talk to you all soon.

RanMan22
09-03-2004, 06:50 PM
So, which progam are you guys reccommending for mapping on the Palm?

-RanMan22

Cache Maine
11-25-2004, 02:12 PM
I have been dabbling with this paperless thing for a few weeks. I've been sorta successful but I'm stuck now. Here's what I've got going:

I was able to transfer all my waypoints to my gps using GSAK. (WHOA!)

I have a pocket pc and have been using GPXSonar and I really like it so far. I was able to load all my waypoints in there so I have all the cache pages and info and logs right on the pda. I also have a bluetooth logger GPS thingy...and have mapopolis as my mapping software.

So whalla! I've got it right? But this is what I'm thinking...

Is there a way to enter all my waypoints to the mapping software on the pocket pc so that when I tap it, the cache info page opens up??? I'm just wondering. Maybe it hasn't been invented yet? Maybe I just have the wrong mapping software?

I understand how you can look at the waypoint name, then go look at it in the sonar thing...but I'm lazy and thought if I could just *TAP* it...that would be sweet!

Beach Comber
01-23-2005, 11:57 AM
Ok - I am re-energized about paperless caching and am on my way to getting things set up - thanks Steve, Brad, Haffy, Dave, Lee, and everyone for the motivation and support as I maneuver through this process - somewhat frustrating and irritatinig one I might add - LOL!!

My challenge at the moment is that cachemate is not compatible with my iPAQ Pocket PC. Seems I am definitely in the minority here when it comes to handheld model. I see Zires everywhere, but no iPAQ's. I'm looking at a few software options on the internet, but wanted to check here and see if anyone else is using a Pocket PC and also doing paperless caching. If so......help! Which software are you using to download information into your handheld?

Thanks a million for your help!

WhereRWe?
01-23-2005, 12:22 PM
I've never used it, GPXSonar is recommended by the maker of Cachemate.

http://gpxsonar.homeip.net/default.aspx

Mainiac1957
01-23-2005, 12:45 PM
Judy, I know Tat and Cameo both use Pocket PC. Maybe they can help you.

Beach Comber
01-23-2005, 01:49 PM
Holy Smokes - this is going to consume my day - lol - and yours too perhaps if you keep checking the posts!

Question about GSAK and importing info from your PQ. I have numerous pages of caches listed in my PQ that I want to import into GSAK. It is only importing the first 20 (on the first page). I tried establishing each page as a separate file and importing into GSAK that way, essentially leaving existing information in GSAK and adding to it with the new file (page 2 of waypoints from my PQ). It doesn't add them.

It also appears that the PQ only allows you to check the caches to upload waypoints for one page at a time. Is this correct? Seem like there MUST be an easier way!

Thoughts, help, direction appreciated!!

parmachenee
01-23-2005, 02:22 PM
When I get a pq, it is sent in a zip file. If I want the pq to be a new database in gsak, I create that database, say name it Jan23. Then I open the zip file with gsak and my Jan23 database contains all the caches I queried for. When loading a pq into an existing database, gsak will overwrite the existing caches with the new pq unless you tell it not to in the options menu. I hope that helps. I'm not sure I understood what you were doing. :)

tat
01-23-2005, 02:38 PM
BC,

Downloading 20 points at a time:
I think I know what you are doing, I did the same thing at first. When you edit the PQ, you have the choice of running the PQ once or on a certain day. Unless you pick a certain day, you will not receive the email containing all of the caches. Either way, you will see a page of 20 caches. You can download 20 at a time, but there is no need. If you cannot get the site to send the email, post again I'll try a more detailed explaination.

PocketStreets:
If you are using PocketStreets, there is an export feature in GSAK.

Good Luck!

Beach Comber
01-23-2005, 04:05 PM
I'm playing with the GPX Sonar software, but am having a tough time figuring out how to import the information from GSAK. I am planning to use Street Atlas and once I have that in place perhaps this will all be more apparent, but I understand that I should be able to transfer the information into my iPAQ without having Street Atlas in there yet.

I did get the full PQ into GSAK though - COOL!! Now just have to get that info into GPX sonar and my GPS.

Ai yi yi - If this keeps up, I'll hold the record for number of posts - lol!

Haffy
01-23-2005, 04:27 PM
I have in the past if I couldn't find what I was looking for in here was to use the Groundspeak forums. You have to remember they have access to the whole world of caching not just from what membership we have in here. I just did a search of GPX sonar that Beachcomber was looking for and came up with all kinds of hits. Maybe someone else has used those forums as well. I know I have on many occasions and have always gotten great responses. In fact just the other day someone from Missouri was looking for a Maine cacher to help him out with a locationless reverse cache and I obliged him. The waypoint name for that cache is GC3153 if anyone is interested in them. That was pretty cool working with someone from as far away as Missouri. Now I am doing the same thing with my name and a guy in Iowa is helping me out with mine.....way cool. Anyway just to show what benefits forums are and to use them whenever you get a chance, they are very informative. :)

attroll
01-23-2005, 04:50 PM
You know what would be a great idea. We should have a cache event just for the purpose of PDA training. Like using cachemate, GSAK and other programs. All we need to do is have a computer there with all the needed software and have someone familar with it give a class on it.

WhereRWe?
01-23-2005, 05:20 PM
That's a good idea. I've been paperless caching for a while and love it, but I keep hearing about things that are interesting - or done differently than I do - and would welcome the advice.

And if you nitice in the thread listing, this thread has been viewed 1,700 times, so there IS a lot of interest out there... :)

It would be great if we can get a location where we can get internet access of some sort as it will make the instruction a lot better Make it a picnic in the parking lot of the Holiday Inn? :eek:

Haffy
01-23-2005, 05:37 PM
And don't forget we would have to have people informed with both Palm OS and Pocket PC cause they both use different software applications. Heck of an idea. Maybe Frank can get the use of the school where he taught and use the schools computers or something... Just a thought I know I need all the help I can get. GSAK has so much to offer and I haven't even scratched the surface of how to use that yet,just the basics. :)

Beach Comber
01-23-2005, 05:41 PM
Count me in!!

Haffy
01-23-2005, 05:49 PM
It also saves on our environment by not having to use paper to do all that printing and ink isn't very cheap either. Save a tree if you can I always say. I'm not a tree hugger now mind you but just more environmentally concerned as we all should be. :)

Cache Maine
01-23-2005, 06:07 PM
Ipaq and GPX Sonar.

BC, hope this helps...this is how I do it. I am still in the learning stages as far as the mapping goes...so not as good on that category.

I'm not sure how your going about getting your pq together. I go to "my" cache page, click on run pq's. That will bring up a rather detailed checkbox form that I can filter the caches that I want included in my pq that will get emailed to me later. (Doesn't really take that long, but is not immediate.)

Once I get the email from gc.com with my PQ, I unzip it. Then I move that file manually to the SD card of my pda. I do not go through GSAK to move the caches to my pda. Then when I open Sonar, I select the file and it loads the caches. I used brdad's idea of a file for my unfound caches, and a separate file for my found ones. This combination puts 591 (or so) caches on my pda, and it takes me about 30 seconds. :)

I use the GSAK to download my waypoints into my gps only. Not sure if you are at that point yet or not.

tat
01-23-2005, 06:11 PM
Mt. Agamenticus has a lodge that is available starting the last week of April. The York Rec Dept manages the room, and charges $0, $100 or $300, depending on the use. If I could get this, for this year's Mt. Agamenticus Event, would there be enough interest? Like Haffy said, we would need to have several people to cover the topics.

I went to a seminar last year where they covered:
1. GSAK
2. Palm/CacheMate
3. PocketPC

They did not discuss mapping or all the other software procucts such as Sonar, Spinner, etc.

I know GSAK fairly well and can (probably) supply a couple of PDAs.

I don't think we would really need an internet connection, since the only thing that is needed from in the internet is the PQ files, which can easily be downloaded in advance. And, the three items listed alone would take longer than most attention spans.

tat
01-23-2005, 06:18 PM
GSAK has an export feature "HTML Files".

Export the files to a directory on your PC. Then, use windows explorer to drop and drag the files to your PDA.

If you use the "Search", "Filter" you can organize the caches any way you want. Keep in mind that sorting by found and not found is a little redundant becacuse GSAK lists found caches in bold.

Team2hunt
01-23-2005, 07:16 PM
I just got GPSr. Having only done this for a month, I can attest to the amount of paper we've accumulated. I would like to know what to buy and how to use it. Count me in too. Besides I have an 11 year old to help me when I faulter. Where are the best sources for a PDA?

WhereRWe?
01-23-2005, 08:10 PM
I just got GPSr. Having only done this for a month, I can attest to the amount of paper we've accumulated. I would like to know what to buy and how to use it. Count me in too. Besides I have an 11 year old to help me when I faulter. Where are the best sources for a PDA?

eBay!!! (Although I bought my Palm Zire 71 as an "open box" item from PalmOne (http://store.palmone.com/shop/index.jsp?categoryId=1309886)

Beach Comber
01-23-2005, 10:16 PM
I know lots of people like to shop through eBay. Me...I'm more of an instant gratification shopper and want to leave with the technology in hand so I bought mine at Circuit City. Any store like that will give you a variety of good choices.

The big decision will be whether you want the traditional palm pilot technology or the pocket pc format. They both have their pros and cons.

I picked the iPAQ because it was most like the Microsoft format that I am familiar with. Easy to use - very intuitive - if you are used to the Microsoft Office programs it will be an easy transition. I can't really tell you how it compares to the palm world with brands like Zire as I am not really familiar with them. Perhaps others who have made a handheld purchase can tell you why they chose palm over pocket pc or vice versa. What I can tell you is there seem to be many more people who are using the palm format for paperless caching as compared to those of us using pocket pc.

Perhaps you would want to be brave and join the smaller group of us - LOL - or maybe not. I'll let you make that call ;)

Beach Comber
01-24-2005, 12:04 AM
After much direction from fellow cachers, a bit of time researching GPX Sonar on geocaching.com, and a bunch of hours playing, I am finally paperless!! Yippeeeee! Now, all I have to do is get out there and try it out.

I can't wait to install Street Atlas and play with that as well!

Thanks to all who helped me - this looks like it is going to be great!!

Beach Comber
01-24-2005, 08:10 PM
It appears I am talking to myself - LOL! Oh well, that won't stop me - hehehe

Wanted to share a great resource I found while working on the paperless caching project. This is from the Maryland Geocaching Society. I have also added the link to the "Links" section of this website.

http://www.mdgps.org/modules.php?name=pocketcaching

WhereRWe?
01-24-2005, 09:22 PM
Wait until you've done a few caches the "paperless way". Then you'll REALLY appreciate it. :D

Team2hunt
01-24-2005, 09:45 PM
I've been home sick today. I spent somtime surfing. Came across a few web sites and I find there are alot of different ways to do this. Thanks for the help and directions.:D Geocaching University had a list of printable directions.Welcome to Geocacher University! (http://www.geocacher-u.com/index.html)

Haffy
01-24-2005, 10:24 PM
I use GSAK but just for the basics like storing all my PQ's and sending to my GPS. I was wondering how I can just send my unfound caches to my GPS in stead of everything that I have in GSAK? I know there must be a way but I haven't figured that part out yet. Help!!!

brdad
01-25-2005, 07:02 AM
Why not just use EasyGPS, Haffy? I didn't mention that option last night...

WhereRWe?
01-25-2005, 07:59 AM
I use GSAK but just for the basics like storing all my PQ's and sending to my GPS. I was wondering how I can just send my unfound caches to my GPS in stead of everything that I have in GSAK? I know there must be a way but I haven't figured that part out yet. Help!!!

Haffy -

Create a filter in GSAK. Go to Search, Filter, and then set the parameters for whatever you want. I do this all the time forwhatever area I'm going to be caching in. Yuo can cave this filtered list and download it to your PDA.

Haffy
01-25-2005, 09:34 AM
Thanks Bruce that's what I was looking for.The one problem I had was if to check archived/unavailable or not,so I unchecked it and it sent me the unarchived ones too which I didn't want. Guess I'll have to play around with it to understand it a little more. But at least I have all my unfound ones and not everyone of them now. Thanks again. Any more lessons on GSAK?

parmachenee
01-25-2005, 02:48 PM
Between the filters on the PQ's and the filters on GSAK you can pretty much control whatever you want to view. I have created databases for various caches such as: found, not found, Rochester area, NH, VT, etc. I can combine the databases, update them, filter them to upload to my pda, my mapsource maps, or gps...it's a great program to fit most of your needs. Play around with it.

WhereRWe?
01-25-2005, 04:57 PM
Yeah, GSAK is a pretty complex program but it will do almost anything with the data, so keep playing with it...

Team2hunt
01-25-2005, 10:04 PM
I've spent many hours surfing. Here's what I have come up with. First there are many ways to go paperless. I think I have settled on the following: Palm Zire 31 I dont need a 72. GSAK and cachemate. Will this get me going and am I missing anything? Is there a LTF in here? LOL Can I also install Delorme Street 2005 on my PDA and do I need it for my laptop as well? Wow, that I think covers it for me. Thanks to anyone who helps. :confused:

Mainiac1957
01-25-2005, 11:09 PM
As long as the 31 has an expantion card slot you should be all set. The handheld maps do take up a bit of room. The memory on the 31 wouldn't be enough for very much. Other than that it sounds like you have about the same setup as I currently use. GSAK is a very powerful program. It does take a little bit of getting used to. Once you learn how to use the filters it becomes a great asset to caching. Good luck and keep asking those questions

Haffy
01-26-2005, 01:56 AM
Sounds like you are on the way to paperless caching. I know I have heard a lot about the Delorme software for the PDA and that is what I currently have but have not been able to place it on my palm as of yet as my current PDA is being returned. Beachcomber posted a good site that comes from the Maryland geocaching society that you might want to check out. They have a great comparison of 3 different software applications and the one that stands out even above Delorme is called Mapopolis.Take a look at it before making any decisions about Delorme. Made me think about this as well even though I have Delorme for handheld. Makes me want to change now but it will give you something to think about. I know decisions,decisions,decisions!

Haffy
01-26-2005, 02:06 AM
I think you have just about everything covered Team2hunt. The 31 is plenty as long as you have enough memory for any map software that you might be using. I have Delorme For Handheld 2005 on my PC which includes the whole USA and when I decide to download the New England states you should have a slot for the extra memory that it will take.You might want to ask someone who has it how much memory it will take before investing in extra memory cards.

WhereRWe?
01-26-2005, 08:53 AM
I think you have just about everything covered Team2hunt. The 31 is plenty as long as you have enough memory for any map software that you might be using. I have Delorme For Handheld 2005 on my PC which includes the whole USA and when I decide to download the New England states you should have a slot for the extra memory that it will take.You might want to ask someone who has it how much memory it will take before investing in extra memory cards.

I have a 256MB card in my Zire 71, and with all of Maine's map and waypoints, there is 90% of the card available. I've tried to add a lot more maps, but when you put a lot on, the maps seems to load SOOOOO slowly. I'd recommend just keeping the maps of the area you usually cache in - like Maine - and then add other maps for each area you're making a trip to (deleting the map when you return).

And I have Delorme Street Atlas handheld on the PDA, and the PC versions of
Street Atlas and Topo USA on the laptop. It's great to be able to upload the waypoints to the laptop and then print a map with little flags showing the waypoints. Makes it easier to plan your route and saves time by limiting the need to backtrack.

WhereRWe?
01-26-2005, 05:54 PM
And since WiFi goes hand in hand with paperless caching, I've found a pretty good listing of WiFi locations. Here's a link to the Maine sites:

http://ibs.jiwire.com/browse-hotspot-united-states-us-maine-me-22.htm

And a link to the complete listing as well:

http://ibs.jiwire.com/search-hotspot-locations.htm

I've posted the links on the links page.

Haffy
01-26-2005, 07:42 PM
Since I don't have a PDA for a couple of weeks I was wondering if there was anyone out there who has or has used the Mapopolis software? From what I have read on the link that Beachcomber so kindly posted by the Maryland geocaching society this software rocks. They have a demo you can download at the Mapopolis site,so can someone maybe try this on their PDA and gives us a lowdown on it....please. It sounds like it is even better than the Delorme software but I would like to hear that from another cacher in here.

Team2hunt
01-26-2005, 07:56 PM
From a previous post Cameoooo says she has it. See post from page 6, I think. Thanks for the help got the 31 today, it has an expansion slot so we will soon see. I can smell the fresh air through the trees allready. Go paperless and save a small forest. Thanks again.

Beach Comber
01-26-2005, 08:55 PM
Haffy - you can download some sample maps on the mapopolis website. I've downloaded a number of counties and have been playing around with it. You can only do a couple at a time, but if you exit out of the website and go back in it will let you do 2 more - a bit of a pain, but I wanted to see a wider region than a single county. Not sure that I like it yet. Doesn't seem to be as easy to use as the DeLorme Street Atlas that Brad showed me on Saturday. But I admit I have very limited experience with both products. I'm going to compare the two and I'll share my observations with you - for what they are worth - LOL!!!

Beach Comber
01-26-2005, 08:56 PM
I will put together a little demo of PQ, GSAK, Streets and Trips and MapSend. Hope the have the "Caches along a route" thing totally figured out soon. Also, have a new HP iPaq coming so will be learning that too.

Michael This was from the summer, but perhaps G Team is still willing to do this.

Cache Maine
01-26-2005, 09:04 PM
Yes, I do have Mapopolis and have had good luck so far. I used to have a feeling that I was missing something by not having Delorme, but by the comments lately...I think I'm sitting pretty good. I downloaded a maplet thing the other night that I'm still fiddling with...I should be able to upload my entire .gpx file to my maine maps...and whalla!

Team2hunt
01-28-2005, 10:56 PM
Almost. Gone paperless..... Thanks to all that have helped. I used your wisdom, your web links, your encouragement and enthusiasm, and with a little dumb luck. ( and an 11 year old ) We have finally gone paperless. Well somewhat anyways. PDA is loaded, with cachemate and caches. My desktop has a new icon GSAK and now I justa have to get out and use it. Again my utmost thanks to all of our new caching friends. :cool:

parmachenee
01-29-2005, 08:08 AM
We have finally gone paperless. :cool:

But don't forget to take your Delorme Atlas!! :D

Team2hunt
01-31-2005, 07:15 PM
I have another question and I'm very confident of getting more than one good answer. I have my Palm Zire 31 with Cachemate and GSAK. My new question is what ( besides a cable, I have read those threads ) do I need to get the waypoints to my GPS? And will the cable link my palm and GPSr, or laptop and GPSr? More software, or do I have enough? And is there any concensus on mapping software yet?Thanks.

Haffy
01-31-2005, 08:05 PM
Yes, you will need the cable to link the Palm to your GPS for real time navigating. I bought mine from Blue Hills Innovations.And as far as mapping software I think the jury is still out as to what works best. I have Delorme but have never used it yet as my PDA is still incognito. If I don't get my new Palm back soon I will sell you my cables that I bought and never got to use them either....lol They are pricey though, I paid $55.00 and that was the cheapest I could find. Hope that helps and I'm sure someone else has other answers for you .

WhereRWe?
01-31-2005, 09:11 PM
I agree with Haffy.

I always travel with the GPS and Palm connected. Not sure what GPS you havem but my eTrex Legend is usually hard to see. But with the Palm, I can see upcoming caches and zoom in to see the best route.

parmachenee
02-01-2005, 10:50 AM
If your palm has bluetooth capability, you can get a bluetooth gps from Delorme that requires NO wires. You will only need to connect the power adapter to your palm since it won't last as long as the bluetooth gps. It also is pricey but I like it. I'm using Delorme Street Atlas on my Zire72 which I also like but I haven't used anything else so I really can't compare.

WhereRWe?
02-01-2005, 02:58 PM
If your palm has bluetooth capability, you can get a bluetooth gps from Delorme that requires NO wires. You will only need to connect the power adapter to your palm since it won't last as long as the bluetooth gps. It also is pricey but I like it. I'm using Delorme Street Atlas on my Zire72 which I also like but I haven't used anything else so I really can't compare.

If we have a "paperless caching" event like was discussed, I'd like to compare the Palm Zire 71 (which I have), and the 72 which a couple ofthers have.

I'd also like to compare the eTrex Legend and the eTrex Vista. I'm getting antsy to get a new GPS, and would really like a "hands on" comparison.

Team2hunt
02-01-2005, 08:41 PM
And it's driving me nuts. I can download to GSAK ok,but when I go to export to my palm and hotsync, the error message tells me the pdb. file doesn't exist. I had last weekend downloaded two seperate times to my pda, ok. What am I doing wrong ar what info is missing? Thanks

Cache Maine
02-01-2005, 10:27 PM
If your palm has bluetooth capability, you can get a bluetooth gps from Delorme that requires NO wires. You will only need to connect the power adapter to your palm since it won't last as long as the bluetooth gps. It also is pricey but I like it.
I have one of these and find it to be very hard to use. I prefer to carry my Legend. The bluetooth gps is very hard to get lock on...and when you do...you better not move! Does anyone else have one?

Beach Comber
02-09-2005, 07:43 PM
As some of you know, I have been working diligently at moving to paperless caching. I am just about there! Unfortunately, I have been stuck trying to figure out how to import cache waypoints into the SA HH maps. I have talked with a number of people and have tried a bunch of approachs to no avail. I learned from DeLorme today that the SA HH version of their software does not have the draw tab needed to accomplish the import (WHEW! Guess it wasn't pure stupidity on my part after all - LOL- THAT'S a relief!!). The SA 2005 version of the software does allow this transfer of information, however.

So.......if you are using a PPC, you need not try the SA HH version. I'll let you know what happens when I try the SA 2005 version.

I'm not sure that the trees I am going to save from not printing the cache papers is going to compensate for the trees I must be consuming by writing these checks for all these pieces of the paperless puzzle! LOL I guess the real question is whether PPC was the right investment for me - perhaps I should have just gone with Palm OS - seems more straightforward for this application. Oh well - who knew I would become obsessive compulsive about geocaching - hehehehe

WhereRWe?
02-09-2005, 07:59 PM
You can use either SA (PC) or Topo USA to import waypoints to the PDA. I just did a survey for Delorme about my impressions of SAHH, and I really let them know that this was a deficiency in their program. I'd bet 75% of people using SAHH use it for geocaching!

But having SA (PC) is great as you can put the waypoints on the map, and then print a copy of the map with waypoints to make it a lot easier to plan/organize your geocaching trip. As you find the caches, you can also cross them off on the map to keep track of the ones you've done.

Other caches may have different methods, but this really works for us. :D

tat
02-09-2005, 08:04 PM
BC, have looked at MS S&t? It has an option to export to Pocket Streets.

(I hate to get so locked in to MS, but it seems to work easier on the PPC platform than third party software.)

One additional advantage: S&T is has much more Canadian detail.

Beach Comber
02-09-2005, 09:19 PM
I looked at both SA 2005 and Streets and Trips tonight. Actually before I read the e-mail from DeLorme. Will get one or the other - not sure which quite yet.

trackspv
02-11-2005, 02:24 PM
I use a hp 2215 pocket pc with a compact flash gps receiver, I use street atlas for pocket with great success.

I start by using Gsak on my computer, I receive the gpx file with over 300 waypoints, I open it with Gsak, I then export them to a Street Atlas Text File, Go to Street Atlas and Import them to a draw file. I then use the exchange tab to transfer it to my pda. It shows every geocache location right on the pda. I can create road routes or direct routes right to any of the waypoints. I also use gpx sonar to view all of the logs and stuff right on the pda.

I started geocaching about a year ago, Already owned the pda and gps and have never printed a sheet of paper.

Beach Comber
02-11-2005, 03:44 PM
Welcome!!

That's fantastic! I'm so excited to have another PPC user to talk to. We are a rare breed it seems.

All that you describe is the same approach that I have taken with the exception of one piece. You said that you use "street atlas for pocket" - is that Street Atlas for Handheld? I have tried that and have not been able to accomplish plotting the caches. DeLorme tells me it is not possible with SA HH because it does not have the "draw" feature. Or do you mean that you use Street Atlas 2005 and then transfer it all to PPC?

I am now playing with Microsoft Streets and Trips. I have been able to establish cache waypoints on my PC and then transfer map sections to my PPC. I am now trying to work through two issues. If I can resolve these I'll keep using the software, if not I am going to can it. They are....
1. I have not figured out how to send a large area such as a map of Maine, either with or without the caches indicated. It only allows sections at a time which is ok, but I would rather have the entire state.
2. Though I establish various sections (i.e. Southern Maine, Mid Coast, Downeast, etc.) and export them as individual map sections with unique names, I have trouble accessing information in each of the unique files. It displays information only from one of the maps. For example - I open the Southern (after closing the other one) and see the Southern Maine information again.

Anyone out there using this software? Anyone have any suggestions (besides dump it all and get a Palm!!! LOL )

parmachenee
02-11-2005, 07:35 PM
I like the Palm!! :D Of course, having a laptop on extended road trips is nice because you can import those caches to an overlay and view the whole state at once to get a feel where you want to go or the route to take. This is using Street Atlas USA.

Cache Maine
02-11-2005, 08:08 PM
I'd like to welcome trackspv to the site. Great to have you and your family here. Look forward to seeing you guys on the trail!

Now BC, don't give up yet! We'll figure it out. I'm still playing with Mapopolis and the maplet feature. I hoping that this will be the answer!

Beach Comber
02-11-2005, 08:22 PM
;)Oh, believe me - I'm not giving up!! As it stands today, I can go caching without paper. Just have a bit of fine tuning to do.

Now we will have opinions to share about the 3 lead products for PPC - DeLorme Street Atlas, Microsoft Streets & Trips, and Mapopolis. That's fantastic!!

tat
02-11-2005, 09:23 PM
Is it better to do all the mapping on the gps and leave all those other mapping programs on the PC.

Cache Maine
02-11-2005, 09:31 PM
Finally, after a little frustration and some encouraging words from fellow cachers, I have made the last leap into paperless caching. Using GPXtoMaplet feature, you can get the cache locations onto the mapopolis maps. The directions are located on this page. http://www.mdgps.org/modules.php?name=pocketcaching I still have a little tweaking to do...but this looks like it might work.

Although, I think I'll miss my Gazetteer!!!

WhereRWe?
02-12-2005, 08:58 AM
Finally, after a little frustration and some encouraging words from fellow cachers, I have made the last leap into paperless caching. Using GPXtoMaplet feature, you can get the cache locations onto the mapopolis maps. The directions are located on this page. http://www.mdgps.org/modules.php?name=pocketcaching I still have a little tweaking to do...but this looks like it might work.

Although, I think I'll miss my Gazetteer!!!

Believe me - unless you're bringing a laptop with Topo USA on it, you'll
STILL be glad you have the Gazetteer! :D

trackspv
02-13-2005, 12:55 PM
All that you describe is the same approach that I have taken with the exception of one piece. You said that you use "street atlas for pocket" - is that Street Atlas for Handheld? I have tried that and have not been able to accomplish plotting the caches. DeLorme tells me it is not possible with SA HH because it does not have the "draw" feature. Or do you mean that you use Street Atlas 2005 and then transfer it all to PPC?

Your right it is Street Atlas for handheld, After I import the txt file that lists all of the waypoints (Cache's) into Street Atlas on my computer I hit the exchange button tab on street atlas, When it asks what to exchange I hit the draw file and all of the waypoints are transfered into my pda, I then run street atlas on my pocket pc and all the waypoints show up on the map. I can route to them and everything right from there. I carry no paper maps or anything, just the pda. I just upgraded to 2005 and still plying around with it, I think 04 was a bit easier but i have accompished the same results with 05

Trackspv

Beach Comber
02-13-2005, 01:26 PM
My first challenge is that I can't get the txt file into Street Atlas Handheld.

Can you outline the steps that you take to accomplish that?
Where is the exchange option?
And where do I find the draw file?

I have looked and looked and looked! Haven't found these - perhaps they are staring me in the face. To be honest, once DeLorme told me that it wasn't possible to accomplish this with Street Atlas Hand Held, I tried another software. I'm very interested to see if I can make this happen as you have!!

Thanks!!

WhereRWe?
02-13-2005, 01:57 PM
I have looked and looked and looked! Haven't found these - perhaps they are staring me in the face. To be honest, once DeLorme told me that it wasn't possible to accomplish this with Street Atlas Hand Held, I tried another software. I'm very interested to see if I can make this happen as you have!!

You can't do it with SAHH alone - you need either SA for PC or Topo USA to be able to export the draw layer to SAHH on your PDA. Stupid as it sounds...

Don't know why Delorme did it this way. Maybe they wanted to be able to sell 2 versions of software instead of just one! :D

Team2hunt
02-13-2005, 06:10 PM
After alot of help from other cachers, Tat and Team Kai. I have decided half of my problem is my laptop. I have decided to take my laptop on the road. I have GSAK and will be installing SA 05 on it this week. Plugged into truck power I will soon be on my way. Thanks to all who have helped, including those encouraging posts.:D Paper, or paperless it's still the adventure. Just look for the white Tahoe with the dish on the roof. LOL

trackspv
02-14-2005, 12:40 PM
My first challenge is that I can't get the txt file into Street Atlas Handheld.

Can you outline the steps that you take to accomplish that?
Where is the exchange option?
And where do I find the draw file?

Thanks!!

You can't do it with SAHH alone - you need either SA for PC or Topo USA to be able to export the draw layer to SAHH on your PDA. Stupid as it sounds...

Don't know why Delorme did it this way. Maybe they wanted to be able to sell 2 versions of software instead of just one! :D
WhereRwe is right, I forgot that I had already installed street atlas for pc BEFORE I installed street atlas for handheld, When I installed Handheld I only installed the files for the pocket pc. Sorry if I misled you.

Im not sure if I have ever used SA Handheld by itself on a pc other than when I first got it. I do remember it was missing alot of cool features that came on the pc version thats probably why I kept using it. It does everything by itself you just need to have handheld the device files so it will run on a handheld device.

WhereRWe?
02-14-2005, 01:32 PM
Im not sure if I have ever used SA Handheld by itself on a pc other than when I first got it. I do remember it was missing alot of cool features that came on the pc version thats probably why I kept using it. It does everything by itself you just need to have handheld the device files so it will run on a handheld device.

I don't think I've ever used SAHH on the PC. Once I installed the program on the Palm, all I ever use is SA (PC) or Topo USA, downloading maps/waypoints to the PDA.

Beach Comber
02-14-2005, 02:07 PM
Well, perhaps I am crazy, but that has nothing to do with paperless caching - hehehe

Thanks for all the discussion and direction! This is what I understood the situation to be, but wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something along the way.

Bruce - do you use a palm os or ppc? I think it might be different for the two technologies because I know that Brad has been able to get the waypoints plotted into his palm using the SA HH version.

trackspv
02-14-2005, 02:52 PM
I am going to uninstall SA for pc and install only SA for handheld and see if I can duplicate this feat. Ill let you know how I make out.

Trackspv

WhereRWe?
02-14-2005, 05:59 PM
Bruce - do you use a palm os or ppc? I think it might be different for the two technologies because I know that Brad has been able to get the waypoints plotted into his palm using the SA HH version. [/color][/font]

I use a Palm Zire 71. And if he can get waypoints onto his PDA without using SA (PC) or Topo USA, I'd like to know how! LOL! (You can enter them manually/individually, but no one has ever been able to tell me how to import from GSAK or Easy GPS or the like.

But if he is, he's probably using different software.

parmachenee
02-14-2005, 06:04 PM
I use a Palm Zire 71. And if he can get waypoints onto his PDA without using SA (PC) or Topo USA, I'd like to know how! LOL! (You can enter them manually/individually, but no one has ever been able to tell me how to import from GSAK or Easy GPS or the like.

I have a Palm Zire 72 and I can put any number of caches/waypoints on my SA USA using GSAK. Maybe I don't understand the question because this was a thread quite awhile ago.

Haffy
02-14-2005, 06:14 PM
I believe SA for PC and SA for handheld are in a way, different. It seems you can't put waypoints from the GPS to a PPC using the handheld version.Kind of redundant but that seems to be a screw up of Delorme's. It works for Palm though.

WhereRWe?
02-14-2005, 06:15 PM
I have a Palm Zire 72 and I can put any number of caches/waypoints on my SA USA using GSAK. Maybe I don't understand the question because this was a thread quite awhile ago.

We're talking about doing it with Street Atlas Handheld, Frank. I don't think you can do it with SAHH alone - you need the draw layer to add the waypoints.

If it can be done with SAHH alone, I don't know how but, hey!, you CAN teach an old dog new tricks! :D

parmachenee
02-14-2005, 06:22 PM
With GSAK create a txt file for SA USA. Find this folder: C:\DeLorme Docs\Mobile Maps\Wpts Transfer. Find the file XMAPHHWptsSend.txt and open it. Copy and Paste the txt file you generated from GSAK in between the lines Begin Symbol and End. Save it. The next time you sync it will send the waypoints to SA USA on your palm. I know I explained this before...or maybe I'm having a senior moment. :D

Mainiac1957
02-14-2005, 06:29 PM
No Frank, You are correct. Since you're the one who taught me how to do it. I am using SAHH 2005 and transfering waypoints to my Palm Zire71 in that manner. I can send as many as I want at a time. and they will place a blue diamond with a cache name on the handheld maps. I like it!!

WhereRWe?
02-14-2005, 06:37 PM
With GSAK create a txt file for SA USA. Find this folder: C:\DeLorme Docs\Mobile Maps\Wpts Transfer. Find the file XMAPHHWptsSend.txt and open it. Copy and Paste the txt file you generated from GSAK in between the lines Begin Symbol and End. Save it. The next time you sync it will send the waypoints to SA USA on your palm. I know I explained this before...or maybe I'm having a senior moment. :D

OK guys, this what they call "an epiphany". Where can we put this where we can find it again? I've already printed it, but... :D

Mainiac1957
02-14-2005, 06:41 PM
PUT THIS WHERE WE CAN ALL FIND IT AGAIN!! :D

Good call Bruce...

WhereRWe?
02-14-2005, 06:54 PM
Well, it doesn't matter to me since I have SAHH, SA (PC) and Topo USA, and am used to exporting the waypoints to the PDA using the latter two. But for people just starting on paperless caching, this information means they just need the handheld version.

And I just looked at GSAK - Clyde has added a Delorme export option, in addition to the SA text file export. Haven't tried it, but I'll have to see what it can do.

Beach Comber
02-14-2005, 09:19 PM
But at this point, it is also important to know that if you are using a PPC, it is not possible to transfer waypoints into your handheld with SAHH - DeLorme tells me you must have SA (not for HH). This is the part that keeps being omitted from the equation. I'm anxious to learn about the test that trackspv is going to try to see if he can prove DeLorme wrong on their own product :p

If you are using Palm OS, you are all set with just SA HH.

trackspv
02-15-2005, 10:51 AM
ok,ok you all win, I was thinking that you could download waypoints to a regular gpsr and then upload them back into sa(handheld), There is no way to even use their own GPS Earthmate unit on Street Atlas for handheld. The program running on the handheld has more features than SA handheld running on the PC. I had forgotten how basic the handheld version was. I was using my laptop originally with Street Atlas 7.0 so when I bought the pda I only installed the device files. I have since upgraded to SA 2005 and really like it.

Trackspv

P.S.I looked at the delorme export that WhereRwe mentioned and it still has to be imported as a draw layer.

Beach Comber
02-15-2005, 11:00 AM
Thank you so much checking that out. Bummer! Didn't mean to keep pushing back, but just wanted to make sure that I wasn't missing something that would allow me to use the program.

Guess I'll stick with Streets and Trips for now, but I am not completely excited about how it interfaces. Admittedly, it could be my skill level given that I just got it last week.

parmachenee
02-15-2005, 03:37 PM
With GSAK create a txt file for SA USA. Find this folder: C:\DeLorme Docs\Mobile Maps\Wpts Transfer. Find the file XMAPHHWptsSend.txt and open it. Copy and Paste the txt file you generated from GSAK in between the lines Begin Symbol and End. Save it. The next time you sync it will send the waypoints to SA USA on your palm.

You can also use this same text file to import the waypoints into your SA USA on your laptop or home computer by choosing draw > file > import and choose that text file. Be sure to do it to your laptop before the sync with your pda because the sync will wipe the text file clean.

parmachenee
02-15-2005, 04:39 PM
The bluetooth gps is very hard to get lock on...and when you do...you better not move!

Actually, I have found it to be very fast, faster to lock on than my Garmin Vista. I just set it up on my dashboard and let it do its thing. Maybe I have a bigger windshield than you. :D Connecting to my pda is quick and easy.

WhereRWe?
02-21-2005, 04:03 PM
ok,ok you all win, I was thinking that you could download waypoints to a regular gpsr and then upload them back into sa(handheld), There is no way to even use their own GPS Earthmate unit on Street Atlas for handheld. The program running on the handheld has more features than SA handheld running on the PC. I had forgotten how basic the handheld version was. I was using my laptop originally with Street Atlas 7.0 so when I bought the pda I only installed the device files. I have since upgraded to SA 2005 and really like it.

Trackspv

P.S.I looked at the delorme export that WhereRwe mentioned and it still has to be imported as a draw layer.

I've been playing with GSAK's new Delorme export format, and I really like it because when the waypoints are placed on Street Atlas as a draw layer, each waypoint is a clickable link to the geocaching.com page for that cache.

Cool!

trackspv
02-22-2005, 11:59 AM
I've been playing with GSAK's new Delorme export format, and I really like it because when the waypoints are placed on Street Atlas as a draw layer, each waypoint is a clickable link to the geocaching.com page for that cache.

Cool!
It is kinda cool, Although I tried to link it to the offline gsak files and cant figure out where Gsak puts the temporary files it creates for viewing offline. It works great as long as your connected to the internet. I was also hoping it would work on my pda I tried to send the waypoints with the url attached to my pda with lots of hope, and once again it's only for the pc. Oh well I'll still be using gpxsonar on pda to view the caches, and street atlas to find them for now.

Trackspv

WhereRWe?
02-22-2005, 04:47 PM
It is kinda cool, Although I tried to link it to the offline gsak files and cant figure out where Gsak puts the temporary files it creates for viewing offline. It works great as long as your connected to the internet. I was also hoping it would work on my pda I tried to send the waypoints with the url attached to my pda with lots of hope, and once again it's only for the pc. Oh well I'll still be using gpxsonar on pda to view the caches, and street atlas to find them for now.

Trackspv

Have you tried Cachemate for the PDA? I like that.

Beach Comber
02-22-2005, 05:37 PM
Unfortunately, Cachemate is not compatible with the PPC, only Palm OS :(

tat
02-22-2005, 06:57 PM
BC,

One of the things I thought was great about the PPC was that an extra app. like sonar or cachemate was not needed.

Was there someting in Cachemate that is better than the pages that GSAK makes for the PPC?

Haffy
02-22-2005, 07:38 PM
Probably not Tat,but for me, using Palm ,I didn't know about GSAK til after I had already purchased Cachemate and just got used to using that application. I know that you can download the HTML files directly from GSAK now ,so if the time came I would probably just use GSAK. I havent even touched the surface of GSAK for what it can provide and do,but there is a learning curve to it also and Cachemate is pretty user friendly.

WhereRWe?
02-22-2005, 07:45 PM
Woah! Cachemate and GSAK are for different functions. GSAK is great for managing your cahce list, but Cachemate is for the actual "find" - it has cache descriptions, hints, previous logs, and the ability to log your comments for later transcription to the net.

GSAK is great on the laptop if you're in "the field", but it doesn't export this to the PDA - or does it? :D

Beach Comber
02-22-2005, 08:27 PM
I was under the impression that one needed in interface between GSAK and the Palm or PPC. Seems the top choice (at least amongst Maine cachers) is Cachmate. GPXSonar is a very similar product that I use with my iPAQ. To be honest, I haven't downloaded directly from GSAK to my PPC. TAT, is that what you do? I believe that Cameo and trackspv also use GPXSonar.

tat
02-22-2005, 10:26 PM
GSAK can dowload the HTML files to a PPC. Pick: File, Export, HTML files and then just drag them to the PPC.
GSAK also loads a nice index page with sort by name, unfound, etc. Also, at the bottom of each cace page, is a list of the nearset caches, with found caches in bold.

WereAreWe: "it has cache descriptions, hints, previous logs, and the ability to log your comments for later transcription to the net"

I know the HTML has descriptions, hints and previous logs, but I don't know about the ability to log your comments. I haven't figured out an acceptable way to use any PDA for typing, so it's a mute point for me!

Of cource, if you use a Palm, you do need Cachemate (or some other app.)

I guess I need to take a look at GPXSonar sometime!

Cache Maine
02-22-2005, 11:07 PM
Okay, so at least now I can say that I have tried another mapping program. Back to mapopolis...but before I do, can someone help me? I tried to download maps for the new Pocket Streets 2005 and the website doesn't even list Maine as one of the state options. I was able to find it in the 2004 downloads, but the map stops short just north of you guessed it...Portland. Hmmmm....maybe I'm missing something like being able to transfer the map from Streets and Trips to Pocket Streets? No big deal, just kinda curious.

Beach Comber
02-22-2005, 11:31 PM
Do you have just Microsoft Pocket Streets? or Streets and Trips with Pocket Streets included? I believe you will need both. I think you will run into the same problem as we recently realized with the DeLorme product in that you need both the PC version and the handheld version to get them to your PPC.

I recently purchased Microsoft Streets and Trips that included the Pocket PC software. Got it at Staples for $39.99 with a $10 rebate.

My challenge so far is that I cannot load the entire state at once and have to send "segments" or "areas" of the state to my PPC. Other than that - it works well.

Cache Maine
02-23-2005, 08:58 AM
Do you have just Microsoft Pocket Streets? or Streets and Trips with Pocket Streets included? I believe you will need both. I think you will run into the same problem as we recently realized with the DeLorme product in that you need both the PC version and the handheld version to get them to your PPC.

I recently purchased Microsoft Streets and Trips that included the Pocket PC software. Got it at Staples for $39.99 with a $10 rebate.

My challenge so far is that I cannot load the entire state at once and have to send "segments" or "areas" of the state to my PPC. Other than that - it works well.
It was you that told me about it! I kept thinking about the rebate and saying....hmmm...maybe I'm missing something really cool. So I went out and purchased Streets & Trips 2005 that comes with Pocket Streets. I was able to see how to send from my laptop to the PPC, the segments. Haven't figured out exactly how that will work just get.

I think it's about time somebody chimed in with the perfect software....a nice mixture of all three would be nice!

trackspv
02-23-2005, 09:43 AM
When I receive my updated gpx file from GC, I update my gsak file, I then create a new gpx file right into mydocs folder on my pda, I then open that file on my pda with gpxsonar and it lists the caches with Type,TB's, Distance, Diriction, Difficulty, Etc. Etc. When You select one It looks just as though you are looking at the GC website with the exceptions of the maps and some other small fetures, It displays the logs and If you want the hints u just highlight a blank area and it shows right up. You can also make field notes on each one. There is a way to send it directly back to gsak but I haven't done it. I usually will just write myself little notes that only I can understand anyway and then I log them on the internet using the notes just to help me remember what we did at the cache.

You can also use Gpxsonar to Export the waypoints onto certain gps units or to a loc file. I haven't used these either because my gpsr is connected through my cf port directly.

It will also create MS Street & Trips push pin files for Cameoo and beachcomber.

Trackspv

Beach Comber
02-23-2005, 01:04 PM
I've been able to create pushpins for the cache locations on the maps and love it. I was so excited the first time I transferred the info and they all popped into the map - I'm sure my family was convinced that I had flipped my lid - LOL!

I did my first semi-paperless caching a few weeks ago and liked it. This past Friday, I was able to go completely paperless - it was great!

Are these things happening to you, Jeff.......

1. I found that in GPX Sonar when I made field notes that it carried the information from one field note into another. For example - I made a note in the field note for Etna Bog and closed that cache. I then opened the field note for Plymouth Cache and the same information I had written in the Etna Bog cache was there.

2. I have not figured out how to send a large area such as a map of Maine, either with or without the caches indicated. It only allows sections at a time which is ok, but I would rather have the entire state.

3. Though I establish various sections (i.e. Southern Maine, Mid Coast, Downeast, etc.) and export them as individual map sections with unique names, I have trouble accessing information in each of the unique files. It displays information only from one of the maps. For example - I open the Southern (after closing the other one) and see the Southern Maine information again.

Thanks a million!

trackspv
02-23-2005, 02:37 PM
1. I found that in GPX Sonar when I made field notes that it carried the information from one field note into another. For example - I made a note in the field note for Etna Bog and closed that cache. I then opened the field note for Plymouth Cache and the same information I had written in the Etna Bog cache was there.

Boy that would be frustrating, When we make field notes it doesn't do that. It treats each one as a new note. I just havent ever transfered them to anywhere. They are usually full of misspelled words and such because I use the transcriber and I don't write that neat so it only recognizes about half of what I write, I can usually translate later when we do the postings on the net.

I do not have streets and trips so I can't help you with those other questions.

Trackspv

WhereRWe?
03-02-2005, 05:57 PM
I just got MS Streets & Trips, and am unable to import waypoints from gSAK. I get an error "XXXX.csv has a bad format"

Anyone had any experience with this error? I can't find anything relevant with a Google.

TIA.

Haffy
03-02-2005, 06:02 PM
Give Clyde a buzz at the Groundspeak forums and I'm sure he will get right back to you,he has me on a couple of occasions and he is really helpful.

Beach Comber
03-02-2005, 07:16 PM
Bruce - I am using that software as well and haven't experienced that. I have outlined the steps that I take below. You may already be doing this and if so, then sounds like there is a problem. If you aren't already taking these steps, perhaps this will help. Some of these steps are perhaps obvious and more basic than you need me to outline, but I am never sure of skill levels that others have so I always try to walk through each individual step, jusssssst in case. Hope this is helpful.

Here are the steps that I take.......

In GSAK....
- File
- Export
- Microsoft Streets and Trips CSV file
- first field - indicate the path for where you want to save the file using browse
- second field - i leave as is
- wayoint name = %smart and 8 characters
- problem characters - i indicate a single apostrophe . . . '
- cache description format = %Name by %By (%Dif/%Ter)
- leave the remaining fields as they are
- generate
- should get "Finished OK"
- OK

In Streets and Trips....
- File
- New
- New North American map
- Data
- Import Data Wizard
- choose the file you want to import the cache points from
- open
- character that separates the field should be comma
- next
- country region will say United States
- "first row contains colum headings" should be checked
- finish
- you should now see pushpins

Haffy
03-02-2005, 07:20 PM
Now do you want to say that in English for me?.....lol

WhereRWe?
03-02-2005, 07:32 PM
Now do you want to say that in English for me?.....lol

LOL! Don't worry, Haffy. IT WORKED!

Thanks, Beach! :D

WhereRWe?
03-02-2005, 07:42 PM
Thanks, Beach, but is there any way to get the cache name or waypoint name on the map? I can do that with Topo USA and Street Atlas...

Beach Comber
03-02-2005, 07:54 PM
The name doesn't show up automatically, but if you double click on the pushpin, it will show the name abbreviated to 8 letters. It will also tell you what type of cache it is, who placed it and the difficulty ratings. You click on the "x" in the upper right hand corner to close the text box. If there are a whole bunch clumped together, it will show you a list of what is there.

Here are the two problems that I have encountered with the software and have not been able to resolve. If you find a way to work around these, please let me know.

1. I have not figured out how to send a large area such as a map of Maine, either with or without the caches indicated. It only allows sections at a time which is ok, but I would rather have the entire state.

2. Though I establish various sections (i.e. Southern Maine, Mid Coast, Downeast, etc.) and export them as individual map sections with unique names, I have trouble accessing information in each of the unique files. It displays information only from one of the maps. For example - I open the Southern (after closing the other one) and see the Southern Maine information again.

It is nice to share this information! I have spent a fair amount of time and energy on this and if it saves you some of the frustration that I experienced along that way, that is great!! :)

I'm curious about what you will decide about how this software compares to the DeLorme product.