View Full Version : Anybody want to talk about geocaching???

Fins_Up
02-09-2011, 09:41 PM
I have not been caching since Karen's event on 1/30. Things have been busy but I am hoping to get out this Saturday. Any really good winter caches out there? I don't care much for going on the ice so those kind are out for me but I do like a nice long hike or snowshoe.

Ekidokai
02-09-2011, 10:27 PM
I know there are a few that can be only reached in winter and one is new.

Fins_Up
02-09-2011, 10:31 PM
I know that Karen just put a new one out very nearby. I have plans to get to it this week.

team barbieri
02-09-2011, 11:12 PM
We are hoping to get out on the snowmobiles and get some caches out on the trails. Im working this weekend but hoping to sneak out for a while on sunday.

NativeMainer
02-10-2011, 12:48 AM
Uggg... I've been busy working and clearing the <explicative deleted> snow off my driveway. I've looked over my past history and I noticed that since I started caching in '03, I've only found 1 cache in the month of February. Time to change that.

dufzor
02-10-2011, 01:00 AM
Uggg... I've been busy working and clearing the <explicative deleted> snow off my driveway. I've looked over my past history and I noticed that since I started caching in '03, I've only found 1 cache in the month of February. Time to change that.

This is my first Feb caching. So far, I have 2 DNFs for Feb. One I learned after the fact was not winter friendly and one that was but was according to attibutes, but after the drive out I learnd was totally burried by snow plows. I am going to follow your lead on Monday, Native Mainer, and get on the snow shoes and do some caching! Only need 4 to get to my next milestone! Cache on! :)

pm28570
02-10-2011, 09:17 AM
This has been my longest stretch without caching, starting last fall. From October thru Thanksgiving saw a lot of business travel and then busy with holidays. Not being one who likes winter.....despite being born and raised in the sticks of Maine.....it's been hard to get excited about caching. I do need to get on the ball, but the darn ball is frozen in! Next week will find me traveling to Moscow, Russia for business. Having checked some addresses on GC.com, there are some easy caches near the hotel. However, when I received my entry visa, it arrived with some travel guidelines one of which states you cannot enter with a GPS device :(.
COME ON SPRING!

WhereRWe?
02-10-2011, 09:25 AM
Any really good winter caches out there? I don't care much for going on the ice so those kind are out for me but I do like a nice long hike or snowshoe.

Check out Laughing Terry's snowmobile caches. While they're best attempted from a snowmobile (I think he said that most were placed while he was actually on a snowmobile), many can be reached by a short walk (snowshoes or x-country skis) from a road. :D:D

cano
02-10-2011, 11:00 AM
My last cache I found was thousand of miles away long time ago. I would go snowshoe caching, preferably island caching since this is the only time of the year I can walk on a pond :)

Mainiac1957
02-10-2011, 01:41 PM
This has been my longest stretch without caching, starting last fall. From October thru Thanksgiving saw a lot of business travel and then busy with holidays. Not being one who likes winter.....despite being born and raised in the sticks of Maine.....it's been hard to get excited about caching. I do need to get on the ball, but the darn ball is frozen in! Next week will find me traveling to Moscow, Russia for business. Having checked some addresses on GC.com, there are some easy caches near the hotel. However, when I received my entry visa, it arrived with some travel guidelines one of which states you cannot enter with a GPS device :(.
COME ON SPRING!

If you have your i-phone or android then you already have a cache capable GPS. That is one way to get a cache.

attroll
02-10-2011, 02:19 PM
If you have your i-phone or android then you already have a cache capable GPS. That is one way to get a cache.
How accurate is the android at finding a cache, has anyone tried it on there android?

Fins_Up
02-10-2011, 02:25 PM
My buddy GeoSkeffs and I go caching and he uses his droid sometimes and it puts him at the same spot as my PN-40.

attroll
02-10-2011, 02:30 PM
My buddy GeoSkeffs and I go caching and he uses his droid sometimes and it puts him at the same spot as my PN-40.
Do you know what program he uses on his droid?

team barbieri
02-10-2011, 02:35 PM
we use our android and we got the app from geocaching.com. Well worth the 10 bucks and work really good. you can also log your find from the app
geocaching groundspeak project is the app

pm28570
02-10-2011, 03:12 PM
I will have it with me, however I believe their mobile systems are GSM. My Android is on Verizon, so I've already arranged for a SIM card for my international phone. You're right Brad, with a little creativity, I can cache. Although I'm not too keen on smart phone caching which I've mentioned in the past. Not to mention the roaming rates.....:eek:. I once turned on my smart phone by accident while in Korea which uses CDMA technology and about 5 days worth of emails downloaded. It added about $8 to the monthly bill.

Fins_Up
02-10-2011, 03:15 PM
Skeff uses c:geo which is a free app. He says it is better than the GC app.

pm28570
02-10-2011, 03:20 PM
How accurate is the android at finding a cache, has anyone tried it on there android?
I've tried c:geo right after I got the phone. And granted while I may not have given it a fair shake, I just didn't care for it. It seemed to jump around a lot, was inaccurate....I plain didn't like it. That said there are others who have started geocaching with the smartphone and are having fun. Would I pay for the app? Probably not when I already have/enjoy/use my Garmin. And knowing what I know about caching, I would recommend to a new cacher to invest in a GPSr. However, smart phone caching is great for paperless caching which I readily agree with. One pet peeve.....caches placed by new cachers using smart phone technology.....they don't seem to have a good track record of accurate coords. But then there are some that do.

As I've mentioned in the past, I continue to cache using my topo map and compass :rolleyes:. Numbers build slowly, but it's a lot of fun.

Hope others post results as there are far more people that are more knowledgeable than I on this subject.

Fins_Up
02-10-2011, 03:42 PM
I personally would not use a smartphone. I won't even own one. I do have a cell phone but I opted for the military grade Motorola Quantim. I like using my phone for a phone and my GPSr for finding and placing caches. I am not sure if the smartphones will average a waypoint but I think that is key to good cache placement.

cano
02-10-2011, 03:46 PM

Android is an operating system and has nothing to do with finding a cache. However if you want to know how accurate is a Qualcomm chipset used in most smartphones running on Android then I found all of my 1000 caches using it. I was also one of the few who won accuracy contest at Celebrate 10 years of caching in Maine contest. It doesn't work very well under tree cover and doesn't work at all under water. Any more questions about accuracy of GPS smartphones?

Mainiac1957
02-10-2011, 06:11 PM
I needed a cache today for the cache a day challenge and I found one using my phone and C:geo. I still prefer my Oregon, but this will work in a pinch.

JustKev
02-10-2011, 06:18 PM
I have not been caching since Karen's event on 1/30. Things have been busy but I am hoping to get out this Saturday. Any really good winter caches out there? I don't care much for going on the ice so those kind are out for me but I do like a nice long hike or snowshoe.

You don't ice fish much then?

I'm not overly fond of heights myself. I can go up the ladders at work and I can use the lift truck we call the Order Picker as well but I'm very sure I place my feet well and have a good hand hold before moving about much when it's in the elevated position.

I picked up a pair of snowshoes but I'm not in condition to do long hikes on them and Pam doesn't have a pair so we won't be doing a whole lot of those type caches unless we find a pair for her and see if both of us are up to a jaunt on them.

Fins_Up
02-10-2011, 07:06 PM
I am a flat lander (from southern IL originally) so the only ice I like is the kind that makes my drink cold. I have ventured out on the ice but it freaks me out when it starts cracking and popping. I am going to do a bit of ice fishing with the Scouts early next month so we will see how that goes.

masterson of the universe
02-10-2011, 11:50 PM
My last cache I found was thousand of miles away long time ago. I would go snowshoe caching, preferably island caching since this is the only time of the year I can walk on a pond :)

Have you done Brad's Island Hoppers cache or the others on Pushaw Lake?

cano
02-11-2011, 12:03 AM
Have you done Brad's Island Hoppers cache or the others on Pushaw Lake?

no``````````

02-11-2011, 12:11 AM
no``````````
Its a good way to get it done if you don't have a kayak or canoe. Just be prepared as the wind can be pretty darn cold with all the open space. It'll take about 1 1/2 to 2 hours walking i believe and if you have them, definitely wear some spikes. I wiped out a couple times wearing just boots.

attroll
02-11-2011, 12:20 AM
Android is an operating system and has nothing to do with finding a cache. However if you want to know how accurate is a Qualcomm chipset used in most smartphones running on Android then I found all of my 1000 caches using it. I was also one of the few who won accuracy contest at Celebrate 10 years of caching in Maine contest. It doesn't work very well under tree cover and doesn't work at all under water. Any more questions about accuracy of GPS smartphones?
What app are you using on you android?

Mainiac1957
02-11-2011, 06:19 AM
Its a good way to get it done if you don't have a kayak or canoe. Just be prepared as the wind can be pretty darn cold with all the open space. It'll take about 1 1/2 to 2 hours walking i believe and if you have them, definitely wear some spikes. I wiped out a couple times wearing just boots.

You may find the first two stages, but the final would be under a bit too much snow considering how it is hidden. Early winter would have been more accessible I think. .

02-11-2011, 09:58 AM
The c:geo app is a little bit better than the app that Groundspeak puts out but apparently violates the terms of service. If you even mention it in national forums, the moderators will edit / delete your post. It has to be called "the app that shall not be named" when mentioning it. I used it for a bunch of caches when I first heard about it and it jumps around a bit but is still fairly accurate. I prefered the user interface of c:geo to the Groundspeak app after playing with both. The groundspeak app can also be downloaded at no charge if you have the know how but again, you might be putting your login at risk. Honestly, I think Groundspeak has enough on its plate to worry about the very minor amount of scraping capable by a smartphone but the possibility is there so it needs to be mentioned. Both allow for full cache descriptions, auto decoding of hints, onsite logging, and trackable management. I dont recall if you can load your PQ's into the Groundspeak app but you definitely can do this with c:geo further minimizing any scraping of data. Its all fairly new technology and will only get better down the road. If you'd like screenshots of either app or want the info on getting the Groundspeak app where I got it from, let me know.

pm28570
02-11-2011, 10:16 AM
The c:geo app is a little bit better than the app that Groundspeak puts out but apparently violates the terms of service. If you even mention it in national forums, the moderators will edit / delete your post. It has to be called "the app that shall not be named" when mentioning it. I used it for a bunch of caches when I first heard about it and it jumps around a bit but is still fairly accurate. I prefered the user interface of c:geo to the Groundspeak app after playing with both. The groundspeak app can also be downloaded at no charge if you have the know how but again, you might be putting your login at risk. Honestly, I think Groundspeak has enough on its plate to worry about the very minor amount of scraping capable by a smartphone but the possibility is there so it needs to be mentioned. Both allow for full cache descriptions, auto decoding of hints, onsite logging, and trackable management. I dont recall if you can load your PQ's into the Groundspeak app but you definitely can do this with c:geo further minimizing any scraping of data. Its all fairly new technology and will only get better down the road. If you'd like screenshots of either app or want the info on getting the Groundspeak app where I got it from, let me know.
I would imagine that past few days have been hectic for you MOU, with the launch of the iPhone. With that said, any info on geo apps for the iPhone?

02-11-2011, 10:44 AM
I would imagine that past few days have been hectic for you MOU, with the launch of the iPhone. With that said, any info on geo apps for the iPhone?

Work has certainly preped like crazy for the iPhone launch but because nationwide they've pushed out the overtime opportunities, the stress isnt as bad as everyone anticipated. It's nuts for sure, but not terrible. I really havent had the opportunity to look into whats in the app store for apple to see what options are out there besides the Groundspeak app. We can't even get our hands on a training device. I would assume that any app would have been mentioned on here at some point, but who knows. Once I get a chance to touch one and play for a few minutes, I'll check it out. There must be someone on here with an iphone regardles off carrier?

cano
02-11-2011, 10:46 AM
What app are you using on you android?

I don't have Android phone.

pm28570
02-11-2011, 02:56 PM
Work has certainly preped like crazy for the iPhone launch but because nationwide they've pushed out the overtime opportunities, the stress isnt as bad as everyone anticipated. It's nuts for sure, but not terrible. I really havent had the opportunity to look into whats in the app store for apple to see what options are out there besides the Groundspeak app. We can't even get our hands on a training device. I would assume that any app would have been mentioned on here at some point, but who knows. Once I get a chance to touch one and play for a few minutes, I'll check it out. There must be someone on here with an iphone regardles off carrier?
Still debating whether to upgrade to iPhone or not. Other then a cell phone, my iPod Touch does everything the phone would do and what I would want it to do. That said.....kinda got my eye set on the iPad. ;)

attroll
02-11-2011, 02:59 PM
After talking to people that have owned a iPhone and me being an owner of a droid, I would go with a droid. I have the new Samsung Memorize and my step son has the iPhone and he said my droid does things that his iPhone does not do. That is just my take on it.

cano
02-11-2011, 03:56 PM
Still debating whether to upgrade to iPhone or not. Other then a cell phone, my iPod Touch does everything the phone would do and what I would want it to do. That said.....kinda got my eye set on the iPad. ;)

upgrade to iPhone is an oxymoron :)
if you want a tablet buy motorola xoom running on Android 3.0

attroll
02-11-2011, 04:10 PM
What I like about my droid is that I no longer have to type out my text messages. I just speak into my droid and then it translates it in to a text message and sends it. No mre trying to type a text while I am driving.

CARoperPhotography
02-11-2011, 05:02 PM

Do it! I have my old iPhone 3gs whic I use now as an iPod Touch around my house and I use the new iPhone4. The phone is slick and fast. It's great for logging caches or seeing newly published cache info on an FTF run or editing cache listings on location. The only thing I don't use it for Geocaching related is actually navigating to a cache.

CARoperPhotography
02-11-2011, 05:04 PM
upgrade to iPhone is an oxymoron :)
if you want a tablet buy motorola xoom running on Android 3.0

Maybe for a Slovak. Wouldn't an upgrade be for you as an example, moving from a phone made of two tin cans connected by a long string, to a Telegraph machine ? ;)

CARoperPhotography
02-11-2011, 05:06 PM

A close friend of mine works at the Apple retail store in the Maine Mall and she worked a 14 hour day yesterday on the Apple store launch of the Verizon iPhones. She's doing the same thing today too! I'm actually meeting up with her for dinner on her lunch break tonight. It certainly is exciting. I know TeamHorwich went with the Verizon iPhone and is VERY happy.:D Me, I am an ATT Wireless man to the death...

pm28570
02-11-2011, 09:05 PM
Do it! I have my old iPhone 3gs whic I use now as an iPod Touch around my house and I use the new iPhone4. The phone is slick and fast. It's great for logging caches or seeing newly published cache info on an FTF run or editing cache listings on location. The only thing I don't use it for Geocaching related is actually navigating to a cache.
Are you familiar with any specific apps for caching, for the iPhone?

Fins_Up
02-12-2011, 11:39 AM
There is an article in the latest (November-December) issue of FTF Geocacher mag about caching with the iPhone 4. According to the article Groundspeak has made some nice improvements to their app in terms of speed and accuracy. There is also a very nice article from our very own SurfsUpdiverdown (Dianne Farrington) about caching with her dogs.

Ekidokai
02-12-2011, 12:38 PM
That is a good magizine and the article is good.