View Full Version : What's for supper?

WhereRWe?
02-16-2011, 07:33 PM
I know I have a couple of threads entitled "What Are You Drinking" and "What Are You Listening To?", and as I went out to stir the pot of spaghetti sauce (it is Wednesday, after all... And yes, it will be Prince...), I wondered what other people were cooking. We've lived all over the world, and our cooking has been greatly influenced by the places we've been (the worst spaghetti I've ever had was in Rome, and the worst pizza was in Naples, but I later had GREAT pizza in Naples. Go figure...)

So the question is...

What are you having for supper tonight?

:D:D

brdad
02-16-2011, 07:41 PM
We had a Rachael Ray recipe, Crab and Corn Chowda-Mac (http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/rachael-ray/crab-and-corn-chowda-mac-recipe/index.html). I usually use more bacon and a whole pound of crabmeat. Great stuff.

WhereRWe?
02-16-2011, 07:51 PM
We had a Rachael Ray recipe, Crab and Corn Chowda-Mac (http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/rachael-ray/crab-and-corn-chowda-mac-recipe/index.html). I usually use more bacon and a whole pound of crabmeat. Great stuff.

Actually, the "Every Day with Rachel Ray (http://www.rachaelraymag.com/)" magazine is an EXCELLENT resource for easy recipe ideas. I've been cooking all my life, but still like to get some ideas from her magazine. :D:D

Mainiac1957
02-16-2011, 08:02 PM
I had some smothered beef and mashed potatoes. We also had some turkey noodle soup from the other night as well.

Team2hunt
02-16-2011, 08:03 PM
blackened cajun chicken with onions and mushrooms, a garden salad with baby spinach leaves, and grilled string beans with garlic. Mmmmm.......but I ate too much of it.

dubord207
02-16-2011, 08:09 PM
We just finished a dinner I enjoy cooking and we both enjoy eating.

Thai Sizzling Catfish and mash garlic and thyme cauliflower. I start by pan frying the catfish in olive oil after dredging it in seasoned flower.(thyme, garlic powder, cayenne pepper, salt and pepper) After about 4 minutes a side it goes under the broiler after I baste it with the Thai sauce. ( soy, basil, thai peppers, lime leaves, garlic and lemon grass) After 3 minutes or so under the broiler, it's time to eat it.

I simply steam the cauliflower until al dente, mash into a tablespoon of melted unsalted butter, baked garlic, fresh thyme and enough chicken broth to make it a consistency we like. Now that's a healthy dinner!

shuman road searchers
02-16-2011, 08:23 PM
In a rare move I made supper tonight. I made lemon garlic sauteed shrimp over whole wheat linguine and a tossed salad.

UMainah
02-16-2011, 10:03 PM
If i'm having trouble thinking of something for dinner I go to this site:

http://whatthe****shouldimakefordinner.com
(*warning, small amount of possibly offensive language*)

A lot of the recipes that pop up aren't very hard, but very tasty.

Sudonim
02-16-2011, 11:33 PM
We just finished a dinner I enjoy cooking and we both enjoy eating.

Thai Sizzling Catfish and mash garlic and thyme cauliflower. I start by pan frying the catfish in olive oil after dredging it in seasoned flower.(thyme, garlic powder, cayenne pepper, salt and pepper) After about 4 minutes a side it goes under the broiler after I baste it with the Thai sauce. ( soy, basil, thai peppers, lime leaves, garlic and lemon grass) After 3 minutes or so under the broiler, it's time to eat it.

I simply steam the cauliflower until al dente, mash into a tablespoon of melted unsalted butter, baked garlic, fresh thyme and enough chicken broth to make it a consistency we like. Now that's a healthy dinner!

What time do you serve? Sounds delish:D

dufzor
02-17-2011, 01:03 AM
Is it time for supper already? Where did the afternoon go?

Hiram357
02-17-2011, 07:23 AM
Does my answer count for both threads if what I'm drinking is what I'm having for supper?? :D

firefighterjake
02-17-2011, 08:36 AM
Date night last night . . . Chinese Take Out.

shuman road searchers
02-17-2011, 09:01 AM

Does your wife know?:D

brdad
02-17-2011, 09:01 AM

I'm going to be all alone tonight, I think that might be what I have...

Ekidokai
02-17-2011, 02:13 PM
Chinese buffet

firefighterjake
02-17-2011, 02:24 PM
Does your wife know?:D

I hope so . . . she was there . . . had the beef with broccoli and an eggroll . . . I had orange chicken with chicken fingers . . . or maybe it was orange cat with cat paws . . . not really sure . . . tasted like chicken.;):D

Ekidokai
02-17-2011, 03:07 PM
Cat is a little tuffer than chicken. You'll always find a hair too.

JustPJ66
02-22-2011, 11:11 AM
tonight we are going to have smelts and mincemeat cookies for dessert! ;)

EMSDanel
02-22-2011, 11:18 AM

Oh my word.......what are you - a POW?

shuman road searchers
02-22-2011, 11:38 AM
Skip the smelts and just eat the mincemeat but only out of the jar. Why waste the time with dough?!:D

JustPJ66
02-22-2011, 11:42 AM

around here thems good eats! hehe

just not sure what we will have to go with the smelts yet

JustKev
02-22-2011, 07:59 PM

I'm not a POW but if I had been I am sure that this meal I had tonight would be the most memorable. It was not only delicious, I'm stuffed and I know for a fact that most POW's never had that feeling while they were in the hands of their enemy.....

Unless, of course, when you said "POW" you meant something entirely different from what I thought you meant.

dubord207
02-23-2011, 04:30 PM
Tonite's dinner..ropa viella, mofungo and mojitas.:)

WhereRWe?
02-23-2011, 04:45 PM
Tonite's dinner..ropa viella, mofungo and mojitas.:)

"ropa viella" - Spanish for "old clothes". Go for it! :D:D

dufzor
02-23-2011, 04:45 PM
Leftovers!

dufzor
02-23-2011, 04:46 PM
"ropa viella" - Spanish for "old clothes". Go for it! :D:D
That poor guy is REALLY hungry! :D

brdad
02-23-2011, 05:09 PM
...is where we'll be tonight. Lee likes their boiled dinner. Me, not so much, but I'll find something there.

WhereRWe?
02-23-2011, 05:20 PM
...is where we'll be tonight. Lee likes their boiled dinner. Me, not so much, but I'll find something there.

Yeah - sometimes I miss living so far from a restaurant, but... I like MY cooking! LOL! Chicken Scampi on linguine tonight at our house... :D:D

Mainiac1957
02-23-2011, 05:34 PM

We know how much you love corned beef!:rolleyes:

Mainiac1957
02-23-2011, 05:35 PM
I am in West Lebanon, NH and all I know is I'm not cooking.

kayakingeko
02-23-2011, 06:49 PM
I figure if I keep pretending it's spring old man winter will give up and let me have spring. I've been firing up the Weber with lump charcoal for a couple of weeks now, tonight was BBQ chicken (marinated in zesty Italian dressing this time), potato salad, garden salad, and big glass of milk for dinner. Wish there was good corn on the cob, ah well that will have to wait a few more months.

WhereRWe?
02-23-2011, 06:57 PM
... and big glass of milk for dinner.

Sheesh! (But that's another thread...) :D:D

I'm glad you mentioned "lump charcoal", though. Too many people use charcoal briquettes, which are 90% coal. Real wood charcoal is the only way to go. I've often wished there was an easy way to make your own charcoal. As matter of fact, here's a site (http://www.barbecuewood.com/StoreFront.bok) that offers real wood, chips and pellets for REAL smoky flavor. I bought a "sampler" from them a few years ago that included a pound of pellets from each of 5 different woods. They work great in a smoker box on the gas grill, as well as the charcoal grill. :D:D

kayakingeko
02-23-2011, 07:19 PM
thanks for the link, my sister spent some time in Sudan and Kenya and says from the time you get there you all you can smell is burning wood, she says lots of the world's charcoal comes from that area

WhereRWe?
02-23-2011, 07:32 PM
thanks for the link, my sister spent some time in Sudan and Kenya and says from the time you get there you all you can smell is burning wood, she says lots of the world's charcoal comes from that area

We lived in Turkey for 3 1/2 years, and grilled foods is a Turkish specialty. It got a little awkward sometimes when we couldn't identify what we were eating, but it usually tasted good when cooked over charcoal! LOL!

kayakingeko
02-23-2011, 07:47 PM
This same sister spent a month trying to adopt a girl from Pakistan two years ago, she had to hide in a room for days at a time, a young boy would bring her food to eat once a day, he didn't speak English. One night he brought her what appeared to be chicken over rice, everything was over rice. She tasted it, thought it had a strange texture, made her arms flap up and down, pointed at the plate and said "bock, bock?" he shook his head and replied "meow, she didn't eat meat for a month.:D

dufzor
02-23-2011, 08:29 PM
Yeah - sometimes I miss living so far from a restaurant, but... I like MY cooking! LOL! Chicken Scampi on linguine tonight at our house... :D:D
I'll be right over!:D

dubord207
02-24-2011, 07:27 AM
Good catch Bruce. The mojitos got to me and spell check doesn't work for Spanish. It was Ropa Vieja, a shredded beef specialty of the restaurtant. Nice here, headed out for a power walk then I see a lounge chair at the pool and a good book in my future! And the GPS shows 4 caches within a half mile. The descriptions are in Spanish. Is there a way to translate them to English at geocaching.com?

WhereRWe?
02-24-2011, 07:51 AM
Good catch Bruce. The mojitos got to me and spell check doesn't work for Spanish. It was Ropa Vieja, a shredded beef specialty of the restaurtant.

Sheesh! I know Ropa Vieja! They serve it in a bun, right? Around here it's known as a hamburger! :p:p

JustPJ66
02-24-2011, 07:51 AM
Good catch Bruce. The mojitos got to me and spell check doesn't work for Spanish. It was Ropa Vieja, a shredded beef specialty of the restaurtant. Nice here, headed out for a power walk then I see a lounge chair at the pool and a good book in my future! And the GPS shows 4 caches within a half mile. The descriptions are in Spanish. Is there a way to translate them to English at geocaching.com?

I use google translator and it works well for me.

firefighterjake
02-24-2011, 08:43 AM
We know how much you love corned beef!:rolleyes:

Who doesn't like the salted meat . . . it's right up there with bacon. ;)

cano
02-24-2011, 10:11 AM
there is a bar on the top that says This page is in Spanish would you like to translate it? Click Translate :)

benandtina
02-24-2011, 12:10 PM
Last night we had rainbow trout crusted with honey Dijon walnut stuff (it started out as http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Baked-Dijon-Salmon/Detail.aspx with trout instead of salmon, but then I realized I had almost none of the ingredients on hand so I just started throwing random stuff on it), mashed potatoes and green beans.

Tonight... spicy chicken and green beans stir fry with brown rice.

Team2hunt
02-24-2011, 08:36 PM
Sheesh! (But that's another thread...) :D:D

I'm glad you mentioned "lump charcoal", though. Too many people use charcoal briquettes, which are 90% coal. Real wood charcoal is the only way to go. I've often wished there was an easy way to make your own charcoal. As matter of fact, here's a site (http://www.barbecuewood.com/StoreFront.bok) that offers real wood, chips and pellets for REAL smoky flavor. I bought a "sampler" from them a few years ago that included a pound of pellets from each of 5 different woods. They work great in a smoker box on the gas grill, as well as the charcoal grill. :D:D

I get mine at the local Home Depot. They carry it year round at most stores.

JustKev
02-24-2011, 11:33 PM
I get mine at the local Home Depot. They carry it year round at most stores.

This would appear to be a shameless plug for his place of employment!!

:D

dubord207
02-25-2011, 07:27 AM
And Lowe's carries Cowboy Lump charcoal as well! There you go Kev!:)

This would appear to be a shameless plug for his place of employment!!

:D

firefighterjake
02-25-2011, 08:32 AM
One of these days I've got to try cooking something in my woodstove . . . the woodstove forum that I belong to has pics of folks that have cooked up pizza, casseroles, meat pies and a whole bunch of other food that looks very tasty . . .

WhereRWe?
02-25-2011, 05:45 PM
RULost2? and I always decide the evening prior what the menu will be for supper the next day. Last night we decided on Charbonades de Boef a la Flamand (http://frenchfood.about.com/od/soupsandstews/r/flemishbeefstew.htm). (Sheesh! I lived in Belgium for 7 years - the cuisine rubbed off on me...).

Problem is, the recipe requires "1 12-oz bottle dark beer". I just drank a Dogfish Head 90 Minute Imperial Pale Ale (http://www.dogfish.com/brews-spirits/the-brews/year-round-brews/90-minute-ipa.htm), and realized that it would be just perfect for the dish. This is such a great ale, and costs nearly $3 a bottle, I'm torn between my love of good food and my love of good beer. What a conundrum (no Hiram - that's not what you've got in that foil package in your wallet...)!

Well. I think I'll go for it, and report back tomorrow as to whether or not it was worth it... :D:D

Sudonim
02-25-2011, 07:02 PM
This is such a great ale, and costs nearly $3 a bottle, I'm torn between my love of good food and my love of good beer. What a conundrum (no Hiram - that's not what you've got in that foil package in your wallet...)!

That's funny right there!
(BTW, I think you are thinking of a condominium)

WhereRWe?
02-25-2011, 07:31 PM
That's funny right there!
(BTW, I think you are thinking of a condominium)

Sheesh! No! A conundrum in this case is deciding whether to use this GREAT beer in a supper recipe, or to drink it. If you don't know the difference between a condom and a condominium, you need to talk to Hiram! LOL!

Mainiac1957
02-25-2011, 07:32 PM
Sitting home alone trying to think what I want to eat.....

Mainiac1957
02-25-2011, 07:34 PM
Sitting home alone trying to think what I want to eat.....

Anyone wanna go out to eat. We can play in the snow!!!:rolleyes:

WhereRWe?
02-25-2011, 07:38 PM
Anyone wanna go out to eat. We can play in the snow!!!:rolleyes:

Don't eat any yellow snow... :eek::eek:

msteelee
03-02-2011, 09:23 AM
I start by pan frying the catfish in olive oil after dredging it in seasoned flower.(thyme, garlic powder, cayenne pepper, salt and pepper) After about 4 minutes a side it goes under the broiler after I baste it with the Thai sauce. ( soy, basil, thai peppers, lime leaves, garlic and lemon grass) After 3 minutes or so under the broiler, it's time to eat it.

Sounds terrifically delish, Dan, but I'm confused about the "flower." Would that be daisies? petunias? :)

JustKev
03-02-2011, 09:37 AM
Sounds terrifically delish, Dan, but I'm confused about the "flower." Would that be daisies? petunias? :)

Thank you, msteelee, for taking up the "pick on Dan" banner. I've near bouts typed my fingers to the bone trying to keep him sufficiently picked on! :D

msteelee
03-02-2011, 09:41 AM
My pleasure, Kev. I thought I'd take a break from picking on Dave this morning!;)

JustKev
03-02-2011, 09:50 AM
My pleasure, Kev. I thought I'd take a break from picking on Dave this morning!;)

I usually have to pick on Dave in the chat room. It's a pleasure to help you in that regard. :D

msteelee
03-02-2011, 09:52 AM
And, we are not alone, eh? He can take it, though. In fact, he rather enjoys it!:)

Ekidokai
03-02-2011, 11:10 AM
And, we are not alone, eh? He can take it, though. In fact, he rather enjoys it!:)

Goody goody goody.

kayakingeko
03-03-2011, 05:13 PM
Meatloaf (Moody's Diner recipe), garlic mashed potato, corn, salad....comfort food tonight! :D

msteelee
03-03-2011, 08:50 PM
Lemon pepper chicken with rice and veggies - YUM.

WhereRWe?
03-04-2011, 08:48 AM
Lemon pepper chicken with rice and veggies - YUM.

Basmati rice? :D:D I was always a fan of "Uncle Ben" until someone suggested Basmati rice to me. Now we have it regularly - Jasmine rice, too.

Matter of fact, it's pork stir-fry on Basmati rice for us tonight. :D:D

firefighterjake
03-04-2011, 08:59 AM
Taught a one-on-one CPR class last night so I got home later than normal . . . grabbed a couple Subway sandwiches for the wife and I -- meatball for me, BMT for her.

JustKev
03-04-2011, 09:39 AM
Basmati rice? :D:D I was always a fan of "Uncle Ben" until someone suggested Basmati rice to me. Now we have it regularly - Jasmine rice, too.

Matter of fact, it's pork stir-fry on Basmati rice for us tonight. :D:D

The only rice allowed in the house here seems to be Basmati. It's all Pam cooks with.

WhereRWe?
03-04-2011, 09:57 AM
The only rice allowed in the house here seems to be Basmati. It's all Pam cooks with.

Try Jasmine rice sometime. It's very flavorful, like Basmati, but different. A nice change. :D:D

Sudonim
03-04-2011, 10:42 AM
Had a favorite last night. Pepperoni and jalapeno pizza from Tri-City in Bangor.

WhereRWe?
10-09-2011, 05:06 PM
Is there anyone out there who is interested in Turkish food? RULost2? and I lived in Turkey for 3 1/2 years and loved the food. We recently went on a trip to Connecticut and found this FANTASTIC* Turkish restaurant in Waterbury. We liked it so much we went back to Connecticut this week. LOL. If you happen to be in central Connecticut in the future, try "Sultan's Turkish Restaurant (http://sultansrestaurantct.com/index.html)". It's as good an experience as you'll find in any restaurant in Turkey. We had a good conversation with the waiter(owner?), who came from Adana (eastern) Turkey. (Sudonim may have been to Adana since there's an American airbase there). They have an open kitchen, and you can listen to the staff chattering back and forth in Turkish They even have a big-screen TV tuned to a Turkish station. Try anything on the menu - there's nothing "strange" about Turkish food.

(Oh - and for tonight - RULost2? and I are trying out our new gas grill with nice sirloin steaks! LOL!)

JustPJ66
10-09-2011, 05:55 PM
I have never had turkish cusine.. what would you suggest if we ever get down that way?

Their menu looks great!~

WhereRWe?
10-09-2011, 06:10 PM
I have never had turkish cusine.. what would you suggest if we ever get down that way?

Their menu looks great!~

RULost2? had "Iskender kebab", which is doner kebab (in Greece they call it gyro) meat on lightly grilled pita bread, with a tomato sauce on top. This was one of our favorites in Turkey. We both had this on our last visit, and it was a little lacking... The meat was overdone (doner kebab is on a vertical spit - cooking and turning constantly. It's up to the cook to adjust the spit to keep it from overcooking), and the grilled pita bread was a little overdone. This time it was excellent - the meat cooked perfectly and the pita grilled but soft.

I had the Adana kebab, which is a spicy ground lamb. cooked on a skewer, and served with rice pilav.

Both dished were excellent!

We also had a "Choban" salad, which is a chopped tomato, cucumber, parsley and red onion salad, dressed with olive oil and lemon juice - typical of Turkish salads.