View Full Version : Bike trip help

attroll
03-06-2011, 11:56 PM
I am posting to see if someone can help me out with parking or transportation for a bike trip I am going on.

Sometime around the least two weeks of May, I am planning to bicycle from Windsor Locks, CT to Bar Harbor, ME. This trip should only be a two week trip. The dates are not written in stone yet.

I need to plan for my transportation once I end my trip in Bar Harbor. I will need to get back to Litchfield along with two bicycles.

I have a couple options that I can think of. If anyone else has any suggestions please feel free to let me know.

1. Park my truck somewhere in the vicinity of Bar Harbor area before I head to CT. If anyone knows of a place to park my truck for two weeks near here please let me know.
2. Find someone that can transport me and my biking partner from Bar Harbor back to Litchfield when we reach Bar Harbor.

I am open to ideas.

brdad
03-07-2011, 06:47 AM
You are free to park your truck at our house for the two weeks and I can get it down to the area the day before or the day you get there. Or perhaps there is another cacher who lives closer that can offer parking space. It's an option, anyway.

Ekidokai
03-07-2011, 10:17 AM
I am not familiar with the locations of Wal marts anymore but they allow parking/camping. We always had people stay for a week or more.

Waterski
03-07-2011, 11:02 AM
Attroll, I am currently working with the director of parks and recreation in Bar Harbor on another issue and just emailed her to see if she can assist you on this. I will let you know when she responds. There are also two bikes shops down on Cottage Street that may have some suggestions.

attroll
03-07-2011, 11:54 AM
Attroll, I am currently working with the director of parks and recreation in Bar Harbor on another issue and just emailed her to see if she can assist you on this. I will let you know when she responds. There are also two bikes shops down on Cottage Street that may have some suggestions.
Thank you very much. I will await your reply.

attroll
03-07-2011, 11:57 AM
Brdad
I will keep your offer in mind. Currently I do not know any cachers that live in Bar Harbor that are still active cachers. Thank you

Ekidokai
I don't think there is a Wal-Mart in Bar Harbor.

Sudonim
03-07-2011, 11:59 AM
According to their website, the closest one is on High St. in Ellsworth, right at the triangle.
Nothing in the island.

Waterski
03-07-2011, 03:49 PM
Attroll, this is the response:
With regard to parking for your traveling friend, the first place I would
recommend that he check out is Acadia National Park Headquarters at (207)
288-3338. There is a visitor center in the village of Hulls Cove off Route
3 in Bar Harbor. I do not know what the Park's policy is for long term
parking, or what they might consider long term.

Perhaps the Bar Harbor Chamber of Commerce might know what is available in
the area. Their website is www.barharborinfo.com (http://www.barharborinfo.com/).
As you know, parking at all in downtown Bar Harbor is a challenge. Bar
Harbor does not have a Parks and Recreation Department; the Committee that
you have met oversees the use of the Town's parks, but does not provide the
recreation or services.

-----------------------------------------------------------
I have another friend down there that I am awaiting a response form and will let you know if he has any space for you.

attroll
03-07-2011, 05:38 PM
Waterski
I just called Acadia National Park Headquarters and Bar Harbor Chamber of Commerce. They both told me there is no long term parking anywhere in Bar Harbor to be had. I appreciate the help.

I called one of the campgrounds and left a message asking if they allowed long term parking. I hope to hear back form them tomorrow evening.

Waterski
03-07-2011, 06:17 PM
I have a friend down there that owns a boat shop and have asked him to help. Will let you know the outcome.

hollora
03-07-2011, 09:17 PM
Waterski
I just called Acadia National Park Headquarters and Bar Harbor Chamber of Commerce. They both told me there is no long term parking anywhere in Bar Harbor to be had. I appreciate the help.

I called one of the campgrounds and left a message asking if they allowed long term parking. I hope to hear back form them tomorrow evening.

Possibly College of the Atlantic might help you - or Cache Maine's company has a hotel in the area:):D

79olds
03-09-2011, 10:35 AM
Hi attrol, 79 olds here i think i can help you out. We have a cousin that lives in bar harbor and i can call and ask if you can park your truck there for the time that you need to, let me know if that will help you jim 79 olds

attroll
03-09-2011, 01:28 PM
Hi attrol, 79 olds here i think i can help you out. We have a cousin that lives in bar harbor and i can call and ask if you can park your truck there for the time that you need to, let me know if that will help you jim 79 olds
Jim, I just sent you a private message about this.

masterson of the universe
03-09-2011, 01:35 PM
Just out of curiosity, why are you starting in Windsor Locks? I grew up in Enfield and thats were all my extended family is.

attroll
03-09-2011, 03:53 PM
The reason I am starting there is because that is where that section of the bike map starts. This is the Northeast part of the Atlantic Coast Route that covers between Bar Harbor, Maine, to Key West, Florida.

It really does not have to start Windsor Locks. That may be another consideration to keep in mind.

firefighterjake
03-09-2011, 03:55 PM
Just out of curiosity, why are you starting in Windsor Locks? I grew up in Enfield and thats were all my extended family is.

No kidding . . . mother in law lives in nearby Ellington and brother in law lives in Stafford Springs . . . flew out of Bradley when my wife and I went to Puerto Rico a few years back . . . one of the better airports we have flown out of . . . not too small and yet not too big.

attroll
03-11-2011, 11:46 PM
I want to thank everyone that contacted me and worked with me on this. I now have a place to park my car for the two weeks in Bar Harbor.

Now my worry is getting back to CT to get the other vehicle that we are parking there. If I have to, I will take my truck. My truck is old and I worry it might not make the trip to CT and back. Is anyone heading to CT around the first of April?