View Full Version : Getting to know you...

masterson of the universe
03-08-2011, 09:59 AM
I found this on someones geocaching blog and even know is more of a facebook type thing, couldnt hurt to bring it here and get to know some people a little better in this slow caching weather...

1. What is your name?
2. What is your GC name?
3. What kind of GPSr do you use?
4. What is your favorite feature on your GPSr?
5. What is your best memory of geocaching?
6. What is the furthest from your house you’ve ever found a cache?
7. What is the hardest cache you ever found?
8. What is the most amount of caches you’ve completed in one day?
9. How did you get started in geocaching?
10. What is the silliest mistake you’ve made while geocaching?
11. What memorable animals have you encountered on the trail?
12. What is your favorite earthcache?
13. When do you geocache most often? (Season? Time of day?)
14. Who do you usually geocache with?
15. Have you ever logged a find on one of your own caches? If not, would you? 16. What is the most consecutive days you’ve gone caching and had a find? 17. How do you feel about people who “collect” trackable items?
18. Is it all about the numbers for you?
19. What have you learned since you started geocaching?
20. What is the most interesting travel bug or geocoin you have discovered?

03-08-2011, 10:13 AM
1. What is your name? Corey Masterson

2. What is your GC name? Masterson of the Universe

3. What kind of GPSr do you use? Garmin 60csx

4. What is your favorite feature on your GPSr? Expandable Memory, Color screen, Adding all my found caches as Points of Interest for later finding with newer cachers.

5. What is your best memory of geocaching? Doing Eagle Eye Stash as number 500 and having a good group of cachers there to share it.

6. What is the furthest from your house you’ve ever found a cache? This would be the 2001 Ft. Mclarey cache. Yes, every one of my finds is in Maine at this time.

7. What is the hardest cache you ever found? GC1FXB6 Bingham Overlook. I parked at the bottom of the hill and climbed straight up. There my have been an easier way but i couldnt find it.

8. What is the most amount of caches you’ve completed in one day? 124 on the Stud Mill Road on July 3rd 2009.

9. How did you get started in geocaching? I heard about it from Wendy (Drwhogrl) in 2005, bought a GPS, tried it and got hooked.

10. What is the silliest mistake you’ve made while geocaching? While doing the Stud Mill Road series, missing loading a whole road of caches which would have made it a 140+ day.

11. What memorable animals have you encountered on the trail? Ive not been lucky enough to see much beyond deer, eagles, an owl, and a porccupine.

12. What is your favorite earthcache?I have only done 3 or 4 of them but I guess the favorite would be the Roadcut cache at the Penoboscot Bridge.

13. When do you geocache most often? (Season? Time of day?) I cache the most during the summer. I prefer a nice warm evening to a freezing cold or rainy day.

14. Who do you usually geocache with? Most often its with Wendy but I cache alone more with people.

15. Have you ever logged a find on one of your own caches? If not, would you? No I haven't and don't plan on it anytime soon.

16. What is the most consecutive days you’ve gone caching and had a find? I believe its only 4. This summer that will change a bit I hope.

17. How do you feel about people who “collect” trackable items? I hate it when my trackables don't get moved along or disappear. They are out there to move, not end up in someones collection.

18. Is it all about the numbers for you? Numbers are fun but I see it as a number of memories and places I've been, not just a number of logs signed.

19. What have you learned since you started geocaching? More than anything, ive had a refresher course on math due to some of the puzzles around. Other than that, some basic GSAK knowledge and that there are more little trail systems around than you might ever know about without the hobby.

20. What is the most interesting travel bug or geocoin you have discovered? Probably the most interesting coin(s) is Barry's 5 piece coin set in the form of puzzle pieces.

Fins_Up
03-08-2011, 12:52 PM
1. What is your name? Jason
2. What is your GC name? Fins_Up
3. What kind of GPSr do you use? Delorme PN-40
4. What is your favorite feature on your GPSr? Waypoint averaging
5. What is your best memory of geocaching? Caching with Shuman and his brother on Bear Mountain series.
6. What is the furthest from your house you’ve ever found a cache? Florida 1295.75 Miles
7. What is the hardest cache you ever found? Hard to say. Probably one of Mapachi's caches.
8. What is the most amount of caches you’ve completed in one day? 50
9. How did you get started in geocaching? I read about it and knew it was something I wanted to try. Once I tried it I was hooked.
10. What is the silliest mistake you’ve made while geocaching? Too many to remember. Usually related to skimming the cache description.
11. What memorable animals have you encountered on the trail? I have only seen a few. Turkeys are fun to jump up in the early morning. They make quite a lot of noise when the fly up in the trees.
12. What is your favorite earthcache? I have only found 1. Metamorphism at Marshall Shore (GC17JE2 (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=82528abf-c7f5-47c2-acb8-28306315e596#))
13. When do you geocache most often? (Season? Time of day?) Sunday is my busiest day and I cache all year around.
14. Who do you usually geocache with? Usually with my 2 sons. I have cached with Shuman a bit and gone on a couple of night caches with a fun group.
15. Have you ever logged a find on one of your own caches? If not, would you? No. The only exception would be one I logged and then later adopted.
16. What is the most consecutive days you’ve gone caching and had a find? 75 and that was both tough and fun.
17. How do you feel about people who “collect” trackable items? I have collected a few. I think it is another aspect of the game.
18. Is it all about the numbers for you? No, but I enjoy that part of it too.
19. What have you learned since you started geocaching? I have learned more about what to take in the woods with me.
20. What is the most interesting travel bug or geocoin you have discovered? I really enjoyed the display at Delorme. There are so many cool coins there.

pm28570
03-08-2011, 02:27 PM
Good one Corey....

1. What is your name? Paul
2. What is your GC name? pm28570
3. What kind of GPSr do you use? Garmin Map 60
4. What is your favorite feature on your GPSr? It's green.
5. What is your best memory of geocaching? Leon's Bench cache
6. What is the furthest from your house you’ve ever found a cache? Eilat, Israel...'bout 7000 + miles
7. What is the hardest cache you ever found? EMSDanel's Directory Assistance. It was my 100th and without much experience, I made it much harder then need-be.
8. What is the most amount of caches you’ve completed in one day? 17
9. How did you get started in geocaching? A friend in Russia asked that I purchase a GPSr for him. Got looking at it and found GC.com on a search
10. What is the silliest mistake you’ve made while geocaching? Missing the easy ones
11. What memorable animals have you encountered on the trail? Ekidokai
12. What is your favorite earthcache? Eskers
13. When do you geocache most often? (Season? Time of day?) Spring, summer, fall
14. Who do you usually geocache with? Alone
15. Have you ever logged a find on one of your own caches? If not, would you? No and no.
16. What is the most consecutive days you’ve gone caching and had a find? 7
17. How do you feel about people who “collect” trackable items? Shoot them. Then ask questions
18. Is it all about the numbers for you? No
19. What have you learned since you started geocaching? There's some really weird people around.....
20. What is the most interesting travel bug or geocoin you have discovered? When pigs fly.

brdad
03-08-2011, 02:48 PM
1. What is your name? Dave
2. What is your GC name? Brdad
3. What kind of GPSr do you use? Old Yeller
4. What is your favorite feature on your GPSr? GOTO!
5. What is your best memory of geocaching? Meeting people at events
6. What is the furthest from your house you’ve ever found a cache? 2504.53 Miles, Who's Landing? GCJBT4
7. What is the hardest cache you ever found? Hard to say. Etna Bog in 4 feet of snow.
8. What is the most amount of caches you’ve completed in one day? 30 on 4/22/2007
9. How did you get started in geocaching? Looking for GPS track and waypoint files for ATVing.
10. What is the silliest mistake you’ve made while geocaching? Looking for a container when the cache was a virtual.
11. What memorable animals have you encountered on the trail? Scared the crap out of a moose from 10 feet away. Bear, deer, turkey, foxes, Ekidokai.
12. What is your favorite earthcache? Newspaper Rock Desert Varnish (GCZCNM)
13. When do you geocache most often? (Season? Time of day?) Summer Mornings!
14. Who do you usually geocache with? Wifey - Msteelee
15. Have you ever logged a find on one of your own caches? If not, would you? No. The only exception would be one I logged and then later adopted.
16. What is the most consecutive days you’ve gone caching and had a find? 8
17. How do you feel about people who “collect” trackable items? It's stealing!
18. Is it all about the numbers for you? No, it's about MY numbers. And not necessarily higher numbers, it's about quality numbers.
19. What have you learned since you started geocaching? There are just too may #@*&^%!#$ film cans readily available in this world.
20. What is the most interesting travel bug or geocoin you have discovered? Cindy The CinderBlock (TB6C95)

cano
03-08-2011, 06:33 PM
1. What is your name? Michal
2. What is your GC name? Cano
3. What kind of GPSr do you use? SmartPhone HTC HD (Black100)
4. What is your favorite feature on your GPSr? Openness, ability to install and customize everything.
5. What is your best memory of geocaching? Meh
6. What is the furthest from your house you’ve ever found a cache? 6338.36 km, Liptov Skanzen v Pribyline GC1FX4F (http://coord.info/GC1FX4F) http://gsak.net/stats/flags/SK.gif
7. What is the hardest cache you ever found? Meh
8. What is the most amount of caches you’ve completed in one day? 100
9. How did you get started in geocaching? I knew about geocaching from the very beginning, but it took me 5 years to gather all necessary resources to start caching.
10. What is the silliest mistake you’ve made while geocaching? Meh
11. What memorable animals have you encountered on the trail? A horse, Snapping turtles, Dolphins, Sting Rays.
12. What is your favorite earthcache? Qualibou caldera - Drive-in volcano (ü99) (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=08133263-4d09-4839-9b0e-7bbb7ee2ab98)
13. When do you geocache most often? (Season? Time of day?) When it's not freezing or very hot or damp or mosquitoes. I don't geocache much.
14. Who do you usually geocache with? Alone
15. Have you ever logged a find on one of your own caches? If not, would you? Yes, Absolutely!
16. What is the most consecutive days you’ve gone caching and had a find? 10
17. How do you feel about people who “collect” trackable items? Meh
18. Is it all about the numbers for you? When I had 7 finds after 3 years of caching and met people with thousands on my first event I realized I might be doing something wrong and started power caching. Now when I reached 1000 I returned back to one cache per year pace.
19. What have you learned since you started geocaching? I learned a lot of course, but it has nothing to do with geocaching.
20. What is the most interesting travel bug or geocoin you have discovered? Meh
21. In how many countries have you found a cache: 17 and counting.

Haffy
03-08-2011, 09:04 PM
What is Meh?

brdad
03-08-2011, 09:10 PM
What is Meh?

Definitions of meh on the Web:

"Meh" is an interjection, often used to show a feeling of "whateverness" or possible boredom. However, it can also be used to indicate agreement or disagreement. It can also be an adjective, meaning mediocre or boring.

cachecrashers4
03-08-2011, 11:23 PM
1. What is your name? Mike
2. What is your GC name? cachecrashers4
3. What kind of GPSr do you use? Garmin Oregon 400t
4. What is your favorite feature on your GPSr? the ON button
5. What is your best memory of geocaching? so many, hard to choose
6. What is the furthest from your house you’ve ever found a cache? GC39E8 - Romeo, Romeo 2131.47 miles
7. What is the hardest cache you ever found? I tend to make the easy ones harder than they need to be, but GC1QP22 Choate Road Brutal Micro took us awhile to find.
8. What is the most amount of caches you’ve completed in one day? 30
9. How did you get started in geocaching? overheard someone talking about it, figured we ought to try it
10. What is the silliest mistake you’ve made while geocaching? not reading the cache page
11. What memorable animals have you encountered on the trail? We're pretty noisy so we don't sneak up on much of anything
12. What is your favorite earthcache? Gotta do more. No favorite yet.
13. When do you geocache most often? (Season? Time of day?) Sundays
14. Who do you usually geocache with? Wiiplayer5 (Joey) and kayakingeko (Peter)
15. Have you ever logged a find on one of your own caches? If not, would you? no, no
16. What is the most consecutive days you’ve gone caching and had a find? 3
17. How do you feel about people who “collect” trackable items? stealing?? no don't like it
18. Is it all about the numbers for you? no, it's about new experiences and cool places
19. What have you learned since you started geocaching? That there are things people overlook everyday. If they just changed their perspective a whole new world would open up to them.
20. What is the most interesting travel bug or geocoin you have discovered? Moun10Bike coin

Mainiac1957
03-09-2011, 06:48 AM
1. What is your name? Brad
2. What is your GC name? mainiac1957
3. What kind of GPSr do you use? Oregon 450
4. What is your favorite feature on your GPSr? To many to list
5. What is your best memory of geocaching? Going to the Geowoodstock events
6. What is the furthest from your house you’ve ever found a cache? GCJJF2 - Inspiration Point Poetry at 2775 miles
7. What is the hardest cache you ever found? Well the one I had to look for the most times was Shipping Shell Game (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=7b997236-b643-46aa-ba24-88297bc4f68b) (GC1NXAP) by Luc Caron (http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?id=1458904)
8. What is the most amount of caches you’ve completed in one day? 139
9. How did you get started in geocaching? I think it was from an article I read.
10. What is the silliest mistake you’ve made while geocaching? Not following the cache page instructions.
11. What memorable animals have you encountered on the trail? I guess it would be a large black bear when we were in California.
12. What is your favorite earthcache? Debsconeag Ice Cave (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=e271a9b9-c965-4a15-a356-ff41554d2964) (GC108Y2) by Northwoods Explorer (http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?id=381878)
13. When do you geocache most often? (Season? Time of day?) May is my busiest month, but fall is my favorite time of year.
14. Who do you usually geocache with? My wife and several of my good caching friends along with my dogs.
15. Have you ever logged a find on one of your own caches? If not, would you? No chance of that including events. I only log in one column or the other. My personal way to play.
16. What is the most consecutive days you’ve gone caching and had a find? 12 days
17. How do you feel about people who “collect” trackable items? Not cool...
18. Is it all about the numbers for you? Mostly the number of friends I've made. I find most all caches, so ya sometimes it is.
19. What have you learned since you started geocaching? Don't always follow the arrow, and CHECK FOR TICKS, especially on your dogs... It can get expensive!
20. What is the most interesting travel bug or geocoin you have discovered? It might be Cindy the Cinderblock, or one of several geo-vehicles I've encountered.

dubord207
03-09-2011, 07:49 AM

1. What is your name? Dan Dubord
2. What is your GC name? dubord207
3. What kind of GPSr do you use?Oregon 550t
4. What is your favorite feature on your GPSr?compass arrow,camera
5. What is your best memory of geocaching? beating gob-ler to a late night FTF
6. What is the furthest from your house you’ve ever found a cache?Boabab Tree, GC1K15M, Bridgtown Barbados
7. What is the hardest cache you ever found? Laughing Terry's cache on the Two Cent Bridge in Waterville ( 5 tries!)
8. What is the most amount of caches you’ve completed in one day? 201
9. How did you get started in geocaching? Had gps with me while deer hunting, shot deer opening day, bored, was looking for something else to do!
10. What is the silliest mistake you’ve made while geocaching? Driving way downeast to hide a cache on Map 46 so I could claim that towards the DeLorme Challenge only to find out that's not how it works. I'll have to drive to Vanceboro later this spring!
11. What memorable animals have you encountered on the trail? gob-ler(s),moose, deer, snakes (yech)
12. What is your favorite earthcache? The Reversing Falls cache near Blue Hill by Northwoods Explorer
13. When do you geocache most often? (Season? Time of day?) Whenever I want or whenever my secretaries kick me out of my office.
14. Who do you usually geocache with? Di, Nick and Bo, Patrick, Jim Stacey
15. Have you ever logged a find on one of your own caches? If not, would you?I actually did right after I placed my first cache. Brad, maniac, sent me a nice note suggesting that although I could do it if I wanted, it wasn't usually done.
16. What is the most consecutive days you’ve gone caching and had a find? 12
17. How do you feel about people who “collect” trackable items? Hope they go to "nano" hell when they die! They're thieves and the reason I don't put out trackables anymore!
18. Is it all about the numbers for you? Only when I'm approaching a milestone.
19. What have you learned since you started geocaching? My "navigation" skills have improved and although I've always been able to find my way around in the woods, I'm a lot better at it now.
20. What is the most interesting travel bug or geocoin you have discovered? ToadZGeocoin

msteelee
03-09-2011, 08:56 AM
1. What is your name? Lee
2. What is your GC name? msteelee
3. What kind of GPSr do you use? Garmin Legend
4. What is your favorite feature on your GPSr? That it does not say "recalculating" when I take a wrong turn!
5. What is your best memory of geocaching? A certain geo-event in Augusta in 2003.
6. What is the furthest from your house you’ve ever found a cache? Who's Landing GCJBT4, California
7. What is the hardest cache you ever found? the original Homeworld GC5625
8. What is the most amount of caches you’ve completed in one day? 30 on 4/2/2007
9. How did you get started in geocaching? My friend and co-worker, ranman22, showed me his gps, told me about geocaching, and that's all it took
10. What is the silliest mistake you’ve made while geocaching? Not waypointing the car at Frye Mountain
11. What memorable animals have you encountered on the trail? Moose, deer, hares, turkeys
12. What is your favorite earthcache? Newspaper Rock Desert Varnish GCZCNM
13. When do you geocache most often? (Season? Time of day?) Saturdays in May
14. Who do you usually geocache with? Brdad
15. Have you ever logged a find on one of your own caches? If not, would you? No, No
16. What is the most consecutive days you’ve gone caching and had a find? 8 days
17. How do you feel about people who “collect” trackable items? Not too fondly - where is my Travel Bug, Carter the Cardinal?
18. Is it all about the numbers for you? At first it was neat passing the milestones. Now, not so much.
19. What have you learned since you started geocaching? Not to fear being alone in the woods.
20. What is the most interesting travel bug or geocoin you have discovered? Cindy the Cinderblock.

JustKev
03-09-2011, 09:47 AM
1. What is your name? Kevin Grant
2. What is your GC name? JustKev
3. What kind of GPSr do you use? Garmin Oregon 450
4. What is your favorite feature on your GPSr? Paperless caching.
5. What is your best memory of geocaching? Caching with my wife - so that would be each cache we've found.
6. What is the furthest from your house you’ve ever found a cache? We haven't travelled far, the Washington County cache is currently our furthest.
7. What is the hardest cache you ever found? Laughing Terry's Right in Plain Sight IV. How dare he hide one right in plain sight like that!!!!!
8. What is the most amount of caches you’ve completed in one day? We found 28 on April 18, 2010.
9. How did you get started in geocaching? RCWhit showed JustPJ66 and she showed me.
10. What is the silliest mistake you’ve made while geocaching? Not checking the cache listing to make sure it didn't have an indication that it was missing but not yet archived.
11. What memorable animals have you encountered on the trail? We've seen tons of animals while out on "combination" trips. We cache while we hunt or hunt while we cache. We've seen all manner of birds, wild animals and other geocachers.
12. What is your favorite earthcache? Not fond of earthcaches. Haven't done one.
13. When do you geocache most often? (Season? Time of day?) Usually in the summer. No particular time of day.
14. Who do you usually geocache with? JustPJ66 and her mom tags along occasionally. Used to take Dingo the Geo-Wonder Dog along with us but he is no longer with us. Now we have Nutmeg the Geo-Wonder Dog to ride along with us.
15. Have you ever logged a find on one of your own caches? If not, would you? No and No.
16. What is the most consecutive days you’ve gone caching and had a find? Four days.
17. How do you feel about people who “collect” trackable items? This is a family forum, do you really want me to answer this?
18. Is it all about the numbers for you? No. Have only really paid attention to milestones and then just a little.
19. What have you learned since you started geocaching? Always have spare batteries with you.
20. What is the most interesting travel bug or geocoin you have discovered? Discovering coins and bugs is a low priority with us. We enjoyed being able to discover Mainiac1957's pooches so we got one for our little addition, Nutmeg.

Fins_Up
03-09-2011, 11:52 AM
I wanted to clarify and add to a couple of my answers.

11. What memorable animals have you encountered on the trail? I saw a fisher cat while out trying to find the original Tyler Pond cache. That was pretty cool.

17. How do you feel about people who “collect” trackable items? I misunderstood the question initially. I agree with the rest of the group that these are miserable people who ruin the fun of watching your trackable travel around. I just recently had two go missing who had collected lots of miles.

03-09-2011, 12:21 PM
There has been more response to this than I thought there would be. I know people usually hate these types of things but I figured its all caching related and the only people it seems to paint a negative picture on are those that steal trackables, so it wouldnt be too bad. Thanks to those that have responded so far and in advance to anyone else that responds.

tat
03-09-2011, 01:35 PM
1. What is your name? Tom
2. What is your GC name? TAT and MainePublisher
3. What kind of GPSr do you use? Delorme PN60
4. What is your favorite feature on your GPSr? The ON button
5. What is your best memory of geocaching? Monument Peak Geocache (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=a4c1ea82-39ac-4c07-a80a-2bd31b06c370)
6. What is the furthest from your house you’ve ever found a cache? Equilateral Triangle - South (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=4762df84-a6e1-4c0d-87eb-05d880920421) (5,722mi)
7. What is the hardest cache you ever found? Chancellor Trail "Ironworks" Cache (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=fe35085c-0d1e-473a-be7c-752c1fcfb613)
8. What is the most amount of caches you’ve completed in one day? 103
9. How did you get started in geocaching? Heard about it on a kayak building forum
10. What is the silliest mistake you’ve made while geocaching? Always going the long way.
11. What memorable animals have you encountered on the trail? An eagle fishing on Round Lake on the Allagash
12. What is your favorite earthcache? Diabase Dikes – Schoodic Point, Acadia NP (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=1db3088a-7556-4854-ac7f-c3e51021b760)
13. When do you geocache most often? (Season? Time of day?) When the spirit strikes.
14. Who do you usually geocache with? Anybody and everybody, especially myself
15. Have you ever logged a find on one of your own caches? If not, would you? Yes. I found a cache, then adopted it. I log all of the events I go to, even my own. Other than that, no.
16. What is the most consecutive days you’ve gone caching and had a find? Never kept track.
17. How do you feel about people who “collect” trackable items? I don't think anyone would do such a thing.
18. Is it all about the numbers for you? Yes, especially the random numbers. :)
19. What have you learned since you started geocaching? A lot about Maine
20. What is the most interesting travel bug or geocoin you have discovered? Cindy the Cinder Block

WhereRWe?
03-09-2011, 03:33 PM
1. What is your name? Bruce
2. What is your GC name? WhereRWe?
3. What kind of GPSr do you use? Garmin 60CSX
4. What is your favorite feature on your GPSr? Autorouting
5. What is your best memory of geocaching? The beautiful places we've discovered
6. What is the furthest from your house you’ve ever found a cache? 5059 miles (GCQV5H (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=0f1c1990-0726-403f-b3ff-234ae2dbf994))
7. What is the hardest cache you ever found? Old 470 (GCAE12 (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=44562))
Finally found this one on the fifth visit - with a little help from a friend.
8. What is the most amount of caches you’ve completed in one day? 26
9. How did you get started in geocaching? While vacationing in Ontario in 2003, heard a feature on the radio about geocaching. Sounded interesting so we bought a GPSr and have been caching ever since.
10. What is the silliest mistake you’ve made while geocaching? Mistake???
11. What memorable animals have you encountered on the trail? Mongooses (Mongeese?)
12. What is your favorite earthcache? See #6 above
13. When do you geocache most often? (Season? Time of day?) Summer mornings
14. Who do you usually geocache with? RULost2?
15. Have you ever logged a find on one of your own caches? If not, would you? Events only
17. How do you feel about people who “collect” trackable items? Thieves
18. Is it all about the numbers for you? Nope
19. What have you learned since you started geocaching? It takes all kinds...
20. What is the most interesting travel bug or geocoin you have discovered?
The tattoo on BigPapi122565's leg.

Fins_Up
03-09-2011, 04:05 PM
According to Meriam-Webster mongooses or mongeese is correct!

firefighterjake
03-09-2011, 04:11 PM
1. What is your name? Depends on who is asking . . . my parents and the FBI rap sheets call me Jason . . . my friends and co-workers call me Jake . . . my wife calls me many other names, but none of these should be repeated here.

2. What is your GC name? Firefighterjake

3. What kind of GPSr do you use? I usually tag along with Aaron or Brad so they can use their Oregon . . . which then guarantees that we will find the cache without wandering around aimlessly for 2-3 hours . . . otherwise I use my Magellan Explorist 210

4. What is your favorite feature on your GPSr? The fact that the numbskulls who made my Magellan have the battery connections mixed up so the springy deal that normally fits against the negative side of the battery fits up against the positive side.

5. What is your best memory of geocaching? I barely remember what I had for dinner last night . . . and you're asking me to remember geocaching events. I guess I have to say I enjoyed many of the Tread Lightly events/adventures . . . the Fitz Cache would be a close second.

6. What is the furthest from your house you’ve ever found a cache? Nevada I think . . . or maybe it was in the Carribean . . . not sure which is farther . . . I think Nevaada is.

7. What is the hardest cache you ever found? I have a Magellan . . . finding every cache is a challenge for me. Heck, finding my way back to the car can be a challenge.

8. What is the most amount of caches you’ve completed in one day? A lot . . . did Eki's cache series with some friends.

9. How did you get started in geocaching? Got lost while ATVing and resolved to never get lost again . . . thankfully we were able to trade some extra gas we had with another lost group for some extra sandwiches they had . . . bought a GPSr for the ATV and needed to justify the expense so I started geocaching as a side hobby.

10. What is the silliest mistake you’ve made while geocaching? Not realizing I could use the compass and tried to line up the coord numbers to find the cache which resulted in me going backwards and frontwards and sidewards like a drunken line dancer in my first few attempts to find caches . . . runner up would be not realizing that rest stops along main roads are not just used by geocachers to place caches.

11. What memorable animals have you encountered on the trail? Hiram

12. What is your favorite earthcache? Not sure

13. When do you geocache most often? (Season? Time of day?) Spring-Fall . . . winter time is my snowmobile season

14. Who do you usually geocache with? Hiram and Brad and whatever other folks I can find . . . or by myself

15. Have you ever logged a find on one of your own caches? If not, would you? That's crazy talk

16. What is the most consecutive days you’ve gone caching and had a find? Not sure . . . it's never been about the numbers for me

17. How do you feel about people who “collect” trackable items? Never saw the appeal in collecting coins, TBs, etc. never did anything for me.

18. Is it all about the numbers for you? Never has been. Never will

19. What have you learned since you started geocaching? That Hiram has a butterfly tattoo on his left . . . . Heh, heh . . . I don't know . . . that geocaching is just a game . . . and some folks forget this simple fact.

20. What is the most interesting travel bug or geocoin you have discovered? Never really been into the whole coin or TB thing.

dubord207
03-09-2011, 04:59 PM
Actually, this is one of the best threads I've seen in a while! I hope the rersponses continue as I for one find the answers very interesting and entertaining. I just hope that there's another cacher here that logged one of his/her own caches during the newbie period like I did!:)

There has been more response to this than I thought there would be. I know people usually hate these types of things but I figured its all caching related and the only people it seems to paint a negative picture on are those that steal trackables, so it wouldnt be too bad. Thanks to those that have responded so far and in advance to anyone else that responds.

brdad
03-09-2011, 05:24 PM
Actually, this is one of the best threads I've seen in a while! I hope the rersponses continue as I for one find the answers very interesting and entertaining. I just hope that there's another cacher here that logged one of his/her own caches during the newbie period like I did!:)

Dan, a member who joined before me, who was thought of by many of us as crazy for hiding so many caches (he had hidden 14 caches by the time I joined after all!), only has to this day 29 finds, several of which are on his own caches. Many of them he logged when he went back to do maintenance. Not typical behavior, but certainly was not done to up his numbers, as is the case for most people who log finds on their own caches on a regular basis.

WhereRWe?
03-09-2011, 05:58 PM
Not typical behavior, but certainly was not done to up his numbers, as is the case for most people who log finds on their own caches on a regular basis.

Sheesh! Don't get me started on geocaching dogs again - who log their owner's caches - and owners who log "their dog's" caches. :D:D

shuman road searchers
03-09-2011, 06:39 PM
1. What is your name? Jim Stacey
2. What is your GC name? Shuman Road Searchers
3. What kind of GPSr do you use? Dakota 10
4. What is your favorite feature on your GPSr? That it works
5. What is your best memory of geocaching? All of the adventures with friends along the way
6. What is the furthest from your house you’ve ever found a cache? Van Buren
7. What is the hardest cache you ever found? Deja deja vu (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=cbbcc2af-ba46-42ac-839c-8da209490fc4)
8. What is the most amount of caches you’ve completed in one day? 102
9. How did you get started in geocaching? I bought a gps
10. What is the silliest mistake you’ve made while geocaching? forgetting fresh batteries on a long hike
11. What memorable animals have you encountered on the trail? All of my geofriends
12. What is your favorite earthcache? Millinocket Lake Kettle Pond (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=40e711e3-f448-47df-84c4-909fc08b382b)
13. When do you geocache most often? (Season? Time of day?) year round on the weekends
14. Who do you usually geocache with? Dubord,Tandemstoker, Bamm, Finsup, Bsstacey,myself,wife and son,Becket,togusfinder, ANYBODY!
15. Have you ever logged a find on one of your own caches? If not, would you?no
16. What is the most consecutive days you’ve gone caching and had a find? 20 or so 17. How do you feel about people who “collect” trackable items? not a big fan
18. Is it all about the numbers for you? when nearing a milestone or another cachers find count
19. What have you learned since you started geocaching? That there are many places an "offroadish" nissan sentra can go
20. What is the most interesting travel bug or geocoin you have discovered? The one on Bigpappis leg

JustPJ66
03-09-2011, 06:45 PM
1. What is your name? Pam Grant

2. What is your GC name? JustPJ66

3. What kind of GPSr do you use? Garmin Etrex

4. What is your favorite feature on your GPSr? The alarm that says iam close to the cache!
5. What is your best memory of geocaching? Spending time with my family...my husband, my mom, my brother, my sister-in-laws....family time is the best.

6. What is the furthest from your house you’ve ever found a cache? Kevin says it is downeast ME but I thought our one NH cache.

7. What is the hardest cache you ever found? Ya i agree with kevin LT's caches are some of the hardest....but Mapachi's have been some of the funny ones.

8. What is the most amount of caches you’ve completed in one day? 28 in a day...logging them took much longer than finding them!

9. How did you get started in geocaching? My brother RCWHIT took me to a cache...he is a good brother!

10. What is the silliest mistake you’ve made while geocaching? Listening to my husband when he "thought" it was "this way dear"hehe

11. What memorable animals have you encountered on the trail? Moose, Deer, Bunnies, doggies of all kinds, some kitties from time to time and various other wildlife.....some of the 2 legged variety too.

12. What is your favorite earthcache? havent done one

13. When do you geocache most often? (Season? Time of day?) usually mid week when kevin has off from work. mostly spring, summer, and fall....and anytime of day or evening....not at night....to many spiders come out then!!!!!

14. Who do you usually geocache with? ALWAYS wtih my hubby Kevin! If he aint with me I dont cache.

15. Have you ever logged a find on one of your own caches? If not, would you? I havent logged one of my own caches but I have logged one of OUR caches that was placed in kevins name and it kept comming up as unfound on my screen and so i logged it. other than that tho i dont see a reason to log one of your own caches.

16. What is the most consecutive days you’ve gone caching and had a find? I am told it is 4 days in a row but honestly I dont keep track of such things.

17. How do you feel about people who “collect” trackable items? I have enjoyed finding these in caches and it is difficult for me to understand why someone would take one unless they didnt understand how they work. I guess I hope all those that came up missing were people who just didnt understand...but I know I live in a fairy tale.

18. Is it all about the numbers for you? NO WAY

19. What have you learned since you started geocaching?pack everything you never know what you will need out in the wilderness!

20. What is the most interesting travel bug or geocoin you have discovered? We have found some cool ones but we found one coin that was a sword in a sheath...that was really neat.

WhereRWe?
03-09-2011, 07:10 PM
I've noticed that many of the questions here are about statistics - "most caches in one day", etc. For those that don't know what their "stats" are, here is the program I use (http://www.logicweave.com/CacheStats.html). :D:D

brdad
03-09-2011, 07:18 PM
I've noticed that many of the questions here are about statistics - "most caches in one day", etc. For those that don't know what their "stats" are, here is the program I use (http://www.logicweave.com/CacheStats.html). :D:D

GSAk has a good macro, and GC.com has incorporated a rather extensive set of stats to profiles as well. Not sure if it's just premium members or all members though?

team barbieri
03-09-2011, 07:21 PM
1. What is your name? John & Teresa
2. What is your GC name? team_barbieri
3. What kind of GPSr do you use? PN-40
4. What is your favorite feature on your GPSr? Multiple files
5. What is your best memory of geocaching? Spending time with my wife
6. What is the furthest from your house you’ve ever found a cache?

GC26WZ9 - THE LORING MILITARY HERITAGE CENTER GEOCACHE (http://www.geocachingmaine.org/seek/cache_details.aspx?wp=GC26WZ9)7. What is the hardest cache you ever found? The first one we looked for. 6 months later it was real easy.
8. What is the most amount of caches you’ve completed in one day? 60 caches in one day on 09/12/2010
9. How did you get started in geocaching? Looking on line for snowmobile trails and I found geocachingmaine.org Looked like fun. A week later we had a GPS'r
10. What is the silliest mistake you’ve made while geocaching? Forgetting to look up
11. What memorable animals have you encountered on the trail? Ekidokai (http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?guid=9eee45c2-4ce6-4ea1-bb68-8b6e782ebb24), Had a blast kyaking
12. What is your favorite earthcache? Fox Hill Marsh (http://www.geocachingmaine.org/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=6ff6c698-f6b8-4861-8aa9-9b306795169d) by CaptainMath (GC2D1Q8)
Rhode Island
13. When do you geocache most often? (Season? Time of day?) April sundays
14. Who do you usually geocache with? My wife and and my parents (ARDEBETOO)
15. Have you ever logged a find on one of your own caches? If not, would you? Yes, but I found it way befor I adopted it. GCK9YM Farbucks 13-Mmmmmm!!!
17. How do you feel about people who “collect” trackable items? Booo. But i admit I have had a few in my possetion over the winter due to lack of caching and we like to put them towards ther goal and somwhere the will be found. Not just anywhere just to get rid of them.
18. Is it all about the numbers for you? I love the #'s but its not only about the #'s its the time I spend with my wife that I enjoy the most.
19. What have you learned since you started geocaching? How blind I was before we started. There are so many places we have never been that we go by everyday.
20. What is the most interesting travel bug or geocoin you have discovered? All the ones with great stories.

kayakingeko
03-09-2011, 07:28 PM
1. What is your name?Peter
2. What is your GC name?Kayakingeko
3. What kind of GPSr do you use?Garmin Oregon 450t
4. What is your favorite feature on your GPSr? Field notes (my memory is failing)
5. What is your best memory of geocaching? Kayaking out to Hog Island with cachecrashers4 and his wife so he could find Muscongus Bay - Hog Island (GC2GY7M) this is before I cached and why I started.
6. What is the furthest from your house you’ve ever found a cache? only 58miles
7. What is the hardest cache you ever found?A stones throw: 8 (GC256G5) but only because we were snowshoeing all day in up to 5 feet of fresh powder
8. What is the most amount of caches you’ve completed in one day? 16
9. How did you get started in geocaching?...see #5
10. What is the silliest mistake you’ve made while geocaching? Trusting my gps too much....use the force
11. What memorable animals have you encountered on the trail? Tourists from away
12. What is your favorite earthcache? havn't any yet
13. When do you geocache most often? (Season? Time of day?) all seasons, all day
14. Who do you usually geocache with? cachecrashers4(Mike) and Wiiplayer5 (Joey)
15. Have you ever logged a find on one of your own caches? If not, would you? only events
16. What is the most consecutive days you’ve gone caching and had a find? 6
17.How do you feel about people who “collect” trackable items? made to travel, not collect dust
18. Is it all about the numbers for you? Nope, about getting out with friends and keeping off the couch
19. What have you learned since you started geocaching? I have feet (I've lost weight)
20. What is the most interesting travel bug or geocoin you have discovered? Hot or Cold

WhereRWe?
03-09-2011, 08:01 PM
For another question:

If you have a travel bug out there, how far has it traveled? (Our "GeoMaine Furby (http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=55898)" has traveled 32,834 miles!) :D:D

dufzor
03-09-2011, 09:00 PM
1. What is your name? Sue
2. What is your GC name? dufzor
3. What kind of GPSr do you use? 60CSX & PN40
4. What is your favorite feature on your GPSr? The light that helps me see the screen at night!
5. What is your best memory of geocaching? Anytime I complete a Groleau cache and still have everything (like my GPSr) that I left home with!
6. What is the furthest from your house you’ve ever found a cache? 99.187 mi GC2FHTH
7. What is the hardest cache you ever found? GC2921R Boston Celtics: Rajon Rondo
8. What is the most amount of caches you’ve completed in one day? 15 caches in one day on 12/13/2010
9. How did you get started in geocaching? Some gal I traded video games with had geocaching listed on her page as a hobby. I wondered what it was. The more I read, the more I thought it would be a good fit for me.
10. What is the silliest mistake you’ve made while geocaching? Losing my GPS!
11. What memorable animals have you encountered on the trail? bear, deer, moose, owls, a bald eagle eating a piece of meat in a tree
12. What is your favorite earthcache? I've only done one. GC10558
13. When do you geocache most often? (Season? Time of day?) May and Winter, evenings and nights
14. Who do you usually geocache with? I cache with Geok9 & and, when its warm, one of the 2 Geoparrots. I've never been caching with another cacher.
15. Have you ever logged a find on one of your own caches? If not, would you? no,no
16. What is the most consecutive days you’ve gone caching and had a find? 7
17. How do you feel about people who “collect” trackable items? As long as the items they collect belong to them, thats great!
18. Is it all about the numbers for you? No, but they do motivate me.
19. What have you learned since you started geocaching? Since I solo a lot at night, on a tough cache, leave my where abouts and expected return time with someone, because things can happen on the waterways or on the trail.
20. What is the most interesting travel bug or geocoin you have discovered? O.M. Weiner TB191JA

msteelee
03-09-2011, 11:11 PM
This was a good idea, Corey. It's fun to see what our geopals think about this activity (sport? game?). I find it especially interesting to see how folks got started caching. Thanks for suggesting this thread.

03-10-2011, 09:51 AM
For another question:

If you have a travel bug out there, how far has it traveled? (Our "GeoMaine Furby (http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=55898)" has traveled 32,834 miles!) :D:D

Ive been lucky enough to have Boarder Bart (http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=152405) going since 8/25/05 and he's up to 21616 miles. I can't believe he's still alive and moving on a regular basis. Aussies sure know how to take care of TB's.

03-10-2011, 09:54 AM
This was a good idea, Corey. It's fun to see what our geopals think about this activity (sport? game?). I find it especially interesting to see how folks got started caching. Thanks for suggesting this thread.

Like I said, I usually don't like these types of things or do them so I didnt expect the response. It's been great reading them all though for sure.

JustKev
03-10-2011, 10:39 AM
I have a coin stranded on a mountain in NH. The cache was archived due to placement issues. I was assured by the CO that she would go retrieve it but I'm sure winter has to pass first. My Ooh Rah travel bug has been in the hands of the person who has it now since 08/01/2010. He was headed overseas as a civilian employee. His log simply stated "Taking it to the desert". No idea what is going on with it now.