View Full Version : I'm Pretty Sure I Did The Wrong Thing, But...

NativeMainer
04-07-2011, 11:45 PM
Last night (4/6) I went looking for a cache nearby and I was trying to find one that was a quick to find because it was late and I was trying to keep my 100 day challenge streak alive. I went to a cache which was a bison tube, but when I got there, all I found was the top of said bison tube, the bottom part with the log was missing. I logged it as a find anyways, even though I couldn't sign the log (I did find the cache, after all, IMO). I also left a message that the cache needed maintenance.

This morning (4/7) I got notification that my log had been deleted. The message I got from the cache owner said that I should have logged it as a DNF. Yes, technically, I should have. I'm not worried about my streak ending, because I was only 14 days into it. If I didn't find the cache container completely, yes I would've logged a DNF, but where I found part of the cache, I felt I should be able to log it as a find.

I know it is at the discretion of the cache owner whether to allow this or not, and in this case, the cache owner decided not to allow it. If the exact situation happened to one of my caches, I would have allowed the log, but that's just me. I know that I'm supposed to sign the log in order to claim the find, but in this instance, I couldn't.

Did I misstep here?

hollora
04-08-2011, 12:50 AM
well. that's a sticky wicket..............

dufzor
04-08-2011, 03:20 AM
IMHO, you found all there was to find of the cache. You had what was available to you in your hand. If it were mine, you would have a Found.

dubord207
04-08-2011, 04:59 AM
I would have allowed it but I probably would have replaced the bisson tube with one from my repair kit. That might have made the CO a little more receptive to you logging a find. Message here, it's spring, a lot of caches will need maintenance. It's great for the game and your own standing in the community to replace an occassional wet log, missing nano or other repairs.

brdad
04-08-2011, 06:46 AM
My interpretation of the accepted rule that you must sign the log in order to make the find is that you must find the actual cache and be able to access it to sign the log. This is to prove that you were there and that you were able to physically hold the cache and open it.

If what you found was the actual cache (or a major part of it - and not a 'dummy' cache), and upon finding there was no log, marked your visit to the cache, either by placing a sticker on it with your name, adding a new piece of paper with your name, or taking a marker and marking the actual remainder of the cache; signing in blood if necessary - then to me, that is a find.

If I didn't meet those requirements, I probably would not claim it as a find. If it had been my cache you found, I probably would have allowed you to claim the find if you could accurately describe the cache in words or with a picture.

It does not sound like you did, but if you surely found the cache and had left a signed piece of paper in the cache, you'd have a valid argument to have your log reinstated by grounspeak (deleted logs are not fully deleted from the system, they are just hidden from view.)

JustKev
04-08-2011, 06:53 AM
The only situation we've run into that was similar was one of dblbogey's and we found the container but couldn't get it out of the ice. We logged it as a find but it bugged us until we finally went back up there and signed it. Technically, we found the cache but should have logged it online the day we signed the log. Dblbogey allowed us to keep the original log date online so we dated the paper log as such.

masterson of the universe
04-08-2011, 09:43 AM
Ive done something similar in the past with a cache in the Bangor City Forest. I went to do the first cache out on the railroad bed and had the two boys with me. Somewhere along the trail, the pen I had with me had fallen out of the stroller. Knowing there were two other caches nearby, I went to those to borrow the writing utensil. I got to the closest cache which was the Hare Trail and there was no writing utensil in it. I went to the next nearest cache, the Lynx Trail, and again, nothing there either. I decided in the end to just take my picture with cache in hand as a temporary log knowing that I'd be back out there and would sign the paper in the next passing. The cache owner didnt delete it and the paper log was signed the next time I passed it.

NativeMainer
04-08-2011, 11:20 PM
Yeah, I've been kind of lax when it comes to carrying repair equipment with me. It's my fault for thinking that everyone would be as lenient as I would in this case. If the whole thing was missing, then I would've DNF'd it (or just moved on to the next cache).

Thanks for your input, everyone. I was a little upset when the log was deleted, but I know it was my own fault. I was kind of mad that put an end to my attempt at the 100 day challenge, but now I'll just wait for people to put out some more caches in the area (yay, springtime!) and start over again. I was also mad at the CO for the terse tone that he used when he wrote a note explaining why he deleted the log, but again, that was my fault for thinking that people would think the same way that I do.

Ekidokai
04-09-2011, 04:59 AM
The only wrong thing you did was try and do the right thing.

I hope you learned your lesson.

brdad
04-09-2011, 07:38 AM
The sad part is Mike has a point. If you had just logged a find and not mentioned the log/container, your find would have been welcomed.

NativeMainer
04-09-2011, 08:52 AM
The sad part is Mike has a point. If you had just logged a find and not mentioned the log/container, your find would have been welcomed.

True. Very true. I would much rather be known for doing (or at least trying to do) the right thing.

pm28570
04-09-2011, 11:06 AM
Glad to see that some CO are taking this so seriously. After all, it is life and death we're talking about.

dubord207
04-10-2011, 06:58 AM
Paul's comment here hits the nail on the head for me. I have consistently taken the position of erring on the side of letting cachers log finds if they find any irregularities with my caches. The only deletions I've done were on a couple of rude posts and one that had absolutely NOTHING in the log, just a find. I would be remiss if I didn't note that the polite practice of some "thank you" to the CO has largely disappearef, something a lot of newer cachers don't get I suppose. For those of you reading this that don't take the 4 extra key strokes to post "TFTC", remember that those of us who put caches out do so for you to find and enjoy. A thanks shows your appreciation and is truly appreciated when we read you logs.

And my final comment, it's spring, a lot of caches will have issues and wet logs. Bring spare logs with you and other repair items. You'll feel good every time you take what little time it takes to make the cache better for the next finder!

Glad to see that some CO are taking this so seriously. After all, it is life and death we're talking about.

cano
04-10-2011, 09:23 AM
Paul's comment here hits the nail on the head for me. I have consistently taken the position of erring on the side of letting cachers log finds if they find any irregularities with my caches. The only deletions I've done were on a couple of rude posts and one that had absolutely NOTHING in the log, just a find. I would be remiss if I didn't note that the polite practice of some "thank you" to the CO has largely disappearef, something a lot of newer cachers don't get I suppose. For those of you reading this that don't take the 4 extra key strokes to post "TFTC", remember that those of us who put caches out do so for you to find and enjoy. A thanks shows your appreciation and is truly appreciated when we read you logs.

Yes, because not writing a long log or thanking to the CO for the cache is obviously a true life and death, LOL. And what about cachers who don't even bother to log a find, they just go with their friends or family and won't register and log a find, how disrespectful is that! But this is still absolutely nothing to what millions of cachers do. They won't even bother to go find your cache! You put it there for them and they won't go to find it. They have absolutely no respect.

pm28570
04-10-2011, 09:24 AM

And my final comment, it's spring, a lot of caches will have issues and wet logs. Bring spare logs with you and other repair items. You'll feel good every time you take what little time it takes to make the cache better for the next finder!
Couldn't find the the right emotioncon to place after my statement, but Dan got it. Come on....the cacher obviously found it and while I admire and respect NativeMainer's outlook about the activity, I think that cache owner is taking it a little too seriously. However, if that's how one wants to play, so be it.

I haven't deleted a log yet, nor had occasion to do so....certainly there have been some lazy logs.....not sure what it's going to take for me to delete one.

JustKev
04-10-2011, 09:47 AM
I deleted posts from the moron who was mass logging. Other than that, I have yet to have a log pop up that I would consider deleting.

fins2right
04-10-2011, 05:13 PM
Probably if the cache owner spent as much time maintaining his caches, as he does deleting peoples finds, this would not have been an issue. I have yet to delete a find and tell the cacher to log a DNF. If someone logs one of my caches and sends me a note or PM telling me the container is damaged, vandalized or missing, I'm grateful for the information and try to have it fixed within days. Oh well, not everyone is as charming and good looking as I am :rolleyes:

fins2right
04-10-2011, 05:14 PM
I deleted posts from the moron who was mass logging. Other than that, I have yet to have a log pop up that I would consider deleting.
I stand corrected. When we had that batch of butt monkeys posting mass logs, I got rid of them.

Mapachi
04-10-2011, 07:50 PM
I would rarely delete a log. Even if I beleve a cacher really didn't find my cache, I would tell them, but leave it up to them to delete their own log. They are the ones who have to live with them selves. It's a fun game and I refuse to let logging issues bother me. I claim finds on caches I don't sign. Frozen in place, wet logs, full logs etc. I can sleep at night knowing I had a great day caching! It's just a game folks, with little real repercussions from breaking the rules when it comes to logging caches.

dubord207
04-10-2011, 08:03 PM
I just sent a note to "acamden1" a new cacher with 20 finds. Logs a find, posts nothing whatsoever. My note was positive but with out a little more and an indication that the cache was found, I'll probably delete the supposed find. What does the gang feel about that? I hope I get a positive find from the cacher, by the way.

brdad
04-10-2011, 08:16 PM
Some people just don't write logs. If they logged a find, it probably is; if you doubt it, check the log in the cache. I logged 3 caches Saturday with no text, just a smiley. That's all the value they had to me was the smiley - they added to my numbers, that's all. One I think should not have been placed. Someone else may get more out of the same caches, if they do they should write more.

I'm all for promoting good logs but I also don' think it's right to delete a found log just because they didn't write much. They either didn't get much out of the cache worth writing about or they are just not writers. Some may not be very computer literate or disabled making writing much difficult.

Waterski
04-10-2011, 09:40 PM
It could be possilble that the person did write something in the logbook and just did not log anything on line. Did it get logged on his phone by any chance and more difficult to write? If you aren't interested in the numbers I suppose people could just cache, and probably do, and don't even log them online at all. I don't delete anyones logs if they don't write alot on the log. If they found it, and logged it in, then its ok. I am well aware that there are still some people out there that are not comfortable with computers and it does take a fair amount of time to logs, and time is precious if you are caching with family and children in your life. In a perfect world we would all write praises of thanks for caches.

MARTES
04-11-2011, 12:33 PM
I think it depends on the cache owner. Everybody feels differently about caching and the importance of it. To me, it is supposed to be a fun sport, about the fun, the hunt, the find. You found part of the cache, you didn't have a replacement, but you at least let the owner know there was a problem with the cache. Some people don't tell the cache owner. I once had a couple DNF's on a nano cache of mine. I went to check on it and found 3 nanos, all in different places! It's amazing what people will do for a find. I allow a find on any of my caches that part of a cache was found, and I even allow a find when the cacher makes the find of the hide and there is no cache. It's not their fault that the cache has been muggled. They went to the site and made the discovery that the cache was gone. I'm all about the fun of the sport and will never question a log or find.

surfacewarrior
04-11-2011, 01:57 PM
:)
I just sent a note to "acamden1" a new cacher with 20 finds. Logs a find, posts nothing whatsoever. My note was positive but with out a little more and an indication that the cache was found, I'll probably delete the supposed find. What does the gang feel about that? I hope I get a positive find from the cacher, by the way.

they may be like me, last spring a friend of the better half told us about the game, ( he should have said addiction) but did not say anything about logging find's. I have just picked it up on my own as I have went along for the past year. I have also learned quite a bit about what is expected in a log, when looking and other things from the forums here. You might want to invite the new cacher's to "check out GEOCHINGMAINE.ORG and then they will figure out proper way's to do things without having to delete their logs or make them feel like they are doing something wrong. not saying that is what happened but some people can take it that wayand may leave the addiction before they are fully hooked.:):)

brdad
04-11-2011, 02:13 PM
I claim finds on caches I don't sign. Frozen in place, wet logs, full logs etc. I can sleep at night knowing I had a great day caching! It's just a game folks, with little real repercussions from breaking the rules when it comes to logging caches.

What if what you are looking at is not a/the cache, but something else? You may have found trash or an archived cache by mistake. Some caches even have dummy caches scattered around the real cache.

Granted, many caches now are unidentifiable anyway. People used to put the names of caches on the logbook or container, that is not so common anymore. Many people who logged caches on the alien highway didn't really log the actual caches they thought they were logging.

It is just a game, and I am not critiquing you personally, but I think there is a certain level of honor even in a game. People may play their own way, but they should also respect the way the hider expects you to play as well.

WhereRWe?
04-11-2011, 02:33 PM
It is just a game, and I am not critiquing you personally, but I think there is a certain level of honor even in a game. People may play their own way, but they should also respect the way the hider expects you to play as well.

If there's a reason you can't sign a log, I see nothing wrong with logging the cache anyway. I remember one case where the cache was a glass 1-quart mayo jar with a metal lid. Rusted shut. You could see everything in the cache, but couldn't get it open without breaking the jar. I don't think that's what the cache owner expected. LOL!

brdad
04-11-2011, 02:49 PM
I'd give more leeway in that case, Bruce. I'd imagine the hider's intention was not to make it a challenge for you to open the cache, and you were assured it was the cache. I would however, take pictures if I could not find a way to scratch my name on the cover!

However - myself - I would have gotten it open!

lexmano
04-11-2011, 04:36 PM
This is what I expect for an effort to sign my caches!

August 11, 2008 by law1646 (324 found)

Even with the additional clues it took awhile to find the cache. The GPS jumped around wildly. Not sure if the transmission lines effect the signal. Once the GPS settled down the cache was about 30 feet from the coords.

Happy to find the cache at last, only to find no writing implement in the cache and of course I forgot to bring one. We signed the log with charcoal from the parts of the burned wreck and a sea gull feather pen dipped in blackberry juice. They seemed to work well.

Despite the difficulty in locating we managed to pick enough blackberries for a couple of pies. We probably could have also picked that many blueberries but were focused on blackberry pie.

Thanks for the cache. Left a couple of pieces of swag for the next to find. Took nothing.

Law1646 & MaineSweetPea

JustKev
04-11-2011, 05:14 PM
I'd give more leeway in that case, Bruce. I'd imagine the hider's intention was not to make it a challenge for you to open the cache, and you were assured it was the cache. I would however, take pictures if I could not find a way to scratch my name on the cover!

However - myself - I would have gotten it open!

This after WhereRWe stated the only way to open it would be to break it. Are you saying you'd break the jar?

:eek:

dubord207
04-11-2011, 05:48 PM
Ah Dave? They wrote NOTHING! But their response to my positive note was to say a little something about their find, something more folks should do if they have the imagination. I still say it's not good etiquette to not at least thanks the CO for placing the cache...even the "lame" caches. By the way, the cache was my Schooners R Us cache on the water at Camden Harbor. Most folks respond favorably just due to the scenic beauty of the area.

brdad
04-11-2011, 06:43 PM
This after WhereRWe stated the only way to open it would be to break it. Are you saying you'd break the jar?

:eek:

Bruce said the only way he could open it was to break the jar. Just because Bruce can't do it doesn't mean it can't be done. The impossible just takes a little while longer. I'd make it a challenge to open it without breaking it.

Ah Dave? They wrote NOTHING! But their response to my positive note was to say a little something about their find, something more folks should do if they have the imagination. I still say it's not good etiquette to not at least thanks the CO for placing the cache...even the "lame" caches. By the way, the cache was my Schooners R Us cache on the water at Camden Harbor. Most folks respond favorably just due to the scenic beauty of the area.

I know what you're saying. It's good that they took your advice and applied it. But if they found it they found it. There are some cachers that do not leave any logs online - I have a friend that just doesn't care to log them online and has logged only about 20% of his finds - would you rather have a found log with no words or no log at all? I'd like to know someone was there.

dubord207
04-11-2011, 07:10 PM
As I stated, I have rarely deleted a log and when I did I don't think there's anybody here that would have found fault with my decision. My post was about a person that just hit the found key and posted nothing else. I sent a very positive and encouraging note to this cacher and he/she "got it.' I would not and I encourgage my fellow cachers not to delete a log if "they don't write alot on the log." I do encourage EVERYBODY to post a "thank you" after all cache find logs. It's the right thing to do. Although I only have 89 caches I've placed, I'm unlikely to place any others with the current lack of courtesy and serial logging that I'm seeing on caches that I made an effort to place. Other CO's could care less, but that's not the way my parents raised me. THANK YOU for consideration to my position! Unfortunately, I don't think I'm alone on this.

It could be possilble that the person did write something in the logbook and just did not log anything on line. Did it get logged on his phone by any chance and more difficult to write? If you aren't interested in the numbers I suppose people could just cache, and probably do, and don't even log them online at all. I don't delete anyones logs if they don't write alot on the log. If they found it, and logged it in, then its ok. I am well aware that there are still some people out there that are not comfortable with computers and it does take a fair amount of time to logs, and time is precious if you are caching with family and children in your life. In a perfect world we would all write praises of thanks for caches.

CARoperPhotography
04-11-2011, 08:59 PM
I am the cache owner in this case. This is the log I posted on the cache after I deleted NativeMainer's log:

http://www.geocaching.com/images/icons/icon_disabled.gif April 7 by SeriousTool (http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?guid=0838195a-ef02-4e25-a4b9-50f88e311feb) (1455 found)

Apparently container and log are missing and only cover is still in place. Will replace soon. Disabling for now. Found Logs on this or any cache of mine which state in it that log was not signed will not be accepted and will always be deleted. If you find a cache of mine that is missing pieces and there is no log, either do not log it as found, or go ahead and replace it for me and sign the new log that you put in. How hard is this? Just follow the rules.

CARoperPhotography
04-11-2011, 09:05 PM
I have been deleting logs left and right recently due to these issues of not signing logs and actually telling me in their log that they did not sign it. TeamHorwich and I share these logs daily with each other.

team moxiepup
04-11-2011, 09:37 PM
What if what you are looking at is not a/the cache, but something else? You may have found trash or an archived cache by mistake. Some caches even have dummy caches scattered around the real cache.

Granted, many caches now are unidentifiable anyway. People used to put the names of caches on the logbook or container, that is not so common anymore. Many people who logged caches on the alien highway didn't really log the actual caches they thought they were logging.

BRDAD brings up a good point, decoy caches. We found a cache that the previous finder so kindly put a new log in and signed it, since it was apparently missing. We also signed that log. Unfortunately we did not sign the official log as the "cache" we found had been indeed a decoy and not the actual cache. Our log was deleted with an explanation that we did not find the official log. We returned and after searching high and low we found the real cleverly disguised cache and signed the official log in the correct cache. We know that the previous finder probably meant well and we may have also fell into the same "trap" but a polite note from the cache owner cleared it all up.

shuman road searchers
04-12-2011, 04:57 AM
As I stated, I have rarely deleted a log and when I did I don't think there's anybody here that would have found fault with my decision. My post was about a person that just hit the found key and posted nothing else. I sent a very positive and encouraging note to this cacher and he/she "got it.' I would not and I encourgage my fellow cachers not to delete a log if "they don't write alot on the log." I do encourage EVERYBODY to post a "thank you" after all cache find logs. It's the right thing to do. Although I only have 89 caches I've placed, I'm unlikely to place any others with the current lack of courtesy and serial logging that I'm seeing on caches that I made an effort to place. Other CO's could care less, but that's not the way my parents raised me. THANK YOU for consideration to my position! Unfortunately, I don't think I'm alone on this.

I have to agree with you Dan. I have not hid a new cache in about a year. For one I do not want so many hides that I can not maintain them but also I do not have much fun reading the same log 30 or more times. I like to take a few minutes on each cache I find and either talk about the cache or the adventure when logging online. I guess your parents knew mine!

Mainiac1957
04-12-2011, 05:58 AM
I must agree with Dave and Chadd. You don't sign the log then it's no find. There are always circumstances that will override this, but that would be up to both the finder and the hider. I have deleted a log or two from someone not signing the paper, and once a long while ago I claimed a find with the hiders permission on a broken cache. I haven't done that in many years however. Another example of how this is an individual game and not everyone plays it the same.

dubord207
04-12-2011, 06:35 AM
I understand that "no sign, no find" logic and take no issue with Chadd's decision and most here won't. I don't feel bad however, on those occassions when I've told a cacher to log a find if I find a compelling reason why the cacher couldn't sign the log. As we all know, it's just a game but games are supposed to put smiles on faces (and smileys on cache maps) so I will occassionally allow a no-signed log. I guess it's like the hearsay rule in law, a rule with about 100 exceptions to it.

brdad
04-12-2011, 06:35 AM
If you think about it, you can enjoy the spot whether you log a find or a DNF. If you can't be satisfied unless you log a find, then the smileys are consuming you. I like my smileys but ca also be satisfied with a nice location, so I'll come back to redeem my DNF if needed.

firefighterjake
04-12-2011, 07:32 AM
I've always subscribed to the "no log, no find" philosophy myself . . . and on one cache that I could not open due to rust I ended up signing on the outside of the duct-taped lid . . . but also sent an e-mail to the owner asking if it was OK to log it . . . and I let them know there was an issue. On at least one other cache I could not sign the log due to the cache being destroyed . . . so I just chalked that up to a nice walk. It's just the way I play.

JustKev
04-12-2011, 07:33 AM
I can one up all of you. We logged a find and then took the cache with us. We were doing Laughing Terry's series around the Deadwater Road in Moscow when we found one of his caches. It really didn't appreciate being run over by what ever piece of equipment was offloaded at GZ. I still have the log in my possession to prove we signed the log. lol

One of these days we'll actually be able to catch up to LT and return the log and the salvagable contents of his cache.

shuman road searchers
04-12-2011, 05:55 PM
And I said yes didn't I! I appreciated the log also because I now knew that there was a problem with my hide and the next day replaced the container and also saw Jasons signature all over the top of the old one. It is nice to have people out there that know when a cache needs to be maintained and let the owner know about it. Thanks again FFJ!!

surfacewarrior
04-12-2011, 05:56 PM
:cool:Just today I went to a location and found some velcro nailed to the base of a small tree just off a walking trail and my GPSr was saying I was at GZ so I just sent an e-mail to the owner letting them know I think it is missing and that I had a great time walking the trail they put me on and I would be back later on if it gets replaced or they may tell me I was looking at a decoy at teh wrong location but to may mugglers to look much harder.:cool:

MARTES
04-13-2011, 08:30 PM
Geez Dan, I'm told to keep my log notes more simple and to rein in my imagination. WTF?

hollora
04-13-2011, 09:36 PM

He/she has edited their log and I see left a nice geocoin there too. Nice work Dan - as they haven't written in logs and perhaps didn't know!

msteelee
04-17-2011, 08:14 AM
If you aren't interested in the numbers I suppose people could just cache, and probably do, and don't even log them online at all.
That's true. Three of my sons cache occasionally, have online accounts, and don't log their finds. They do not care about their numbers at all. As for logging a cache as a find when you have not signed the log - I wouldn't do it. I once had a somewhat heated discussion with another cacher about this very thing (do you remember, "other cacher?"). His position was that he found the remnants of the cache on the ground (so did I) and the obvious spot where it had been located (me, too). He said it could be logged as a smiley; I said it required a DNF and a note to the CO. Just too valid opinions, as far as I'm concerned, and not something to lose sleep over, all these years later!

As a cache owner, I really appreciate the long and thoughtful logs that people write for my cache. I like them so much I put them on my scrapbook pages. But, if another cacher finds it and writes a brief log online, I'm okay with that, too. As others have mentioned, there are so many reasons why a person might not write a lot. I don't take it personally; I simply treasure the ones who take the time and effort to describe their experience with my cache hide. I'm just saying....

Ekidokai
04-17-2011, 10:51 AM
Since this thread has gone astray a little I'll add me two cents.

I have replaced caches many times along with logs and swag. I'll only do this if I am certain I know where the cache was hidden. No big problem for me and it seems easier than writing a needs maintenance log. I'm there on the spot and have the materials needed.

On the other hand I have seen caches replaced just because the original could not be found. That is just bad form and I have seen how it justifiably upsets the cache owner.

I have also seen how not logging a DNF can screw things up. If you go looking for a cache and no mention of it is made, no one else knows anything is going on. I tend to look at the logs for caches I am planning on searching for. If the cache should be an easy one and there are several DNF's I'll make sure I take the materials along to fix it up. If there is no DNF on a cache of mine I'll not know anything is possibly wrong or be able to offer assistance to the searchers. I like to offer help to people when they log DNF's because a great man once told me "caches are meant to be found". I take that to heart.

So again I'll say it...The only thing Native Mainer did wrong was try and do the right thing. Where I come from you do not say anything more that the minimum or it will come back to bite you.

Mapachi
04-19-2011, 12:22 PM
I still think I have a higher percentage of DNFs then most. Early on I would skip logging them. Then after I had placed caches, I found the worth of logging DNFs
Is there a way of calculating your DNF logs?

Mapachi
04-19-2011, 12:23 PM
I've had days with 11 DNFs and 9 finds!

cano
04-19-2011, 04:19 PM
you can count them from My Finds Pocket query