View Full Version : local dealer for magellan?

daddydaughterday
04-24-2011, 07:28 PM
wanted to take an actual hands on look at the newer magellan units, assumed LLbean's would have 'em, but no dice (or I just couldn't find 'em there).

anybody know of any place between sugarloaf & portland that actually carries magellan for a look-see?

Z

daddydaughterday
04-24-2011, 07:30 PM
there's no retailer directory on magellan's website (that's the first place I looked after I struck out at Bean's)

brdad
04-24-2011, 07:40 PM
I think I saw a couple Magellan's at Dick's Sporting goods here in Bangor. I don't recall which unit(s).

dubord207
04-24-2011, 07:56 PM
Ah, let's be honest here. Magellan's really are not widely used by cachers anymore. That doesn't mean you should throw one in the trash, but the Garmins dominate the market and Delorme puts out some quality units. While there are a few "old timers" who might chime in here on the useful features of the magellan, most here would encourage you to move up. Desoto's were great cars, but......

JustPJ66
04-24-2011, 08:04 PM
last i knew walmart sold them...dont know if they would have the latest or not tho

Ekidokai
04-24-2011, 08:07 PM
last i knew walmart sold them...dont know if they would have the latest or not tho

Wal mart does but they would not let you get one to try directly.

brdad
04-24-2011, 08:08 PM
I never considered Magellan, but if I were short on money, I would not be afraid to try or at least consider the Explorist. $140 for a GPSr with paperless geocaching abilities, I paid nearly that for my 'ol yeller 10 years ago.

daddydaughterday
04-24-2011, 08:34 PM
thanks, I'll take a look.

I was considering the explorist 510 (I can get a pro-form discount deal on it), as I'm really sick of the horrible signal insensitivity of my Vista (old blackNwhite version) love the rest of the features of the vista, but loses signal under medium canopy and/or mountainous terrain even with a clear view of the sky.

I don't cache as much as I used to, more need the gpsr for s&r and mapping(hence requirement for better signal reception), but figured y'all here would be the best place to ask for local sources.

JustKev
04-24-2011, 08:43 PM
I saw an eXplorist at Target. Don't know if they still have them or not.

firefighterjake
04-25-2011, 07:38 AM
My "old" Explorist210 may not be all that fancy or as cool as say a Oregon 450 . . . but honestly, it does a decent job and does all that I ask of it -- namely finding caches, tracking, mapping and using Direct Route (turn by turn street directions). The newer Magellan line that they were offering didn't really do much for me, but I always found the older style Magellans tended to offer more bang for the buck vs. Garmin -- i.e. more features for less money or more stuff in a bundle for the same price as a solo GPSr from Garmin. That said . . . if I were to buy a GPSr today it would most likely be a Garmin Oregon 450 as it does everything I would want it to do . . . and is so simple to operate that even a long-time Magellan user could figure out how to use it.

firefighterjake
04-25-2011, 07:39 AM
Forgot to add . . . the only thing both of my Magellans are infamous for are boomeranging past the cache when I walk too quickly . . . a bit of an annoyance.

JustKev
04-25-2011, 07:51 AM
ffj - That's what I bought when I got to the point that I knew the Magellan Triton I had just wasn't what I wanted to use. Both are paperless but the Triton was just so slow booting and acquiring satellites. Once it was up and running it did very well when we were caching. I suspect the eXplorist will as well.