View Full Version : Website update today!!

tat
05-04-2011, 06:23 AM
In just a few hours, Geocaching.com will undergo some changes.

http://blog.geocaching.com/2011/05/preview-of-geocaching-com-may-4th-website-release/

May the fourth be with them!

Mainiac1957
05-04-2011, 06:42 AM
Thanks Tom. Looks like a major overhaul for sure.

brdad
05-04-2011, 07:56 AM
It does look like a big overhaul to the site. I don't directly visit the site often (most of my access is via PQs), so I am eager to see if they are making any changes to the core, like added cache types, favorite points in PQs, changes to attributes, etc..

NativeMainer
05-04-2011, 11:41 PM
OK, it's now late at night, and the GC.com website is up and running again. I haven't had a real good chance of going over the site to see what's changes, mostly it looks like cosmetic changes at the moment. I tried looking at maps to plan out a caching excursion tomorrow (Thursday) and it's quite slow to load up. It started off with the beta map that we've had a chance to look at over the past weeks, and gave me the option to look at the old style map. That took a while to load up as well. It might take a short bit for them to work out the bugs out of the system, so I'll reserve judgment until late.

brdad
05-05-2011, 05:37 AM
There are only two non-cosmetic changes that caught my I mentioned in chat last night

26639: Create landing page for geocaching organizations
Added page at organizations/default.aspx with description and link to forums for local orgs info

Which we need to look into for our site...

6958: Terms of Use Agreement Modification
Hotfixed the TOU to add language prohibiting the publication of spoilers for any geocache without consent of the cache owner

(m) Publish, in any form of media, the solutions, hints, spoilers, or any hidden coordinates for any geocache without consent from the cache owner.

While I was quite upset when a cache of mine as well as several others were compromised a few months back, I'm not sure how easily they can enforce a rule like this, especially when these spoilers are posted off-site.