View Full Version : Who is Acts 2:38

masterson of the universe
05-15-2011, 07:15 AM
Anyone know who the new cacher hider Act 2:38 (http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?guid=d3d449a1-b40d-4ef9-975f-fec7331e8031&wid=c3c52091-78b3-4a96-8179-962d079eaaed&ds=2) is thats placing caches around Hampden/ Winterport area? They just started their account last month, don't have a single find but are up to 12 hides. The thing that I don't get is their cache descriptions are shorter than some finders smartphone logs. There's just nothing...I'd consider a FTF run this morning as their caches are getting published if I had some idea as to what the heck i was running for on a rainy sunday morning.

shuman road searchers
05-15-2011, 07:38 AM
I have been wondering the same thing. They have the cache on the Hamm rd that appears to be on private property and they have not responded to Dan's or mine note. Their caches so far are easy but the no cache description thing needs to be outlawed.

JustKev
05-15-2011, 07:46 AM
From what I've read on some of the logs, there are no paper logs in the caches or at least nothing in some of them to log the cache. There is a religious tract of some type. I'm sure there are a bunch of people caching who won't be offended to find the tract but a paper log would be a good thing to have in a cache unless you're being devious and hiding false caches near the actual cache. We found one of those, hidden by SeriousTool, that was a really neat idea and a well hidden cache.

05-15-2011, 08:34 AM
My thoughts were more along the lines of someone setting up a collection of caches that were intended for coin collecting. I'm not a religious person so I had to look it up.

ACTS 2:38 Peter replied, “Repent and be baptized, every one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins. And you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.

At first I was thinking the religious login could have two possible meanings but not all the caches are right by water so that ruled out one train of thought. The only other thing that comes to mind as almost no effort was put into the caches, that this person is putting a serious of "net" caches out to collect trackables and the religious name is a way of saying "I don't care as I'll still be forgiven for my sins". Kind of sad if thats the case. I may do the caches down the road if they stay active for a while, but I wouldn't be dropping trackables in them just in case.

JustKev
05-15-2011, 08:39 AM
I'd like to think that someone from Maine wouldn't do that but we're seeing more and more things happen here in Maine that just didn't happen a few years ago. We don't get into the area where the caches are often so we'll not log them any time soon. We also quit placing trackable into circulation, not willing to buy them to just lose them to someone without morals.

Mainiac1957
05-15-2011, 10:40 AM
I did several of their caches this morning and many are just GRCs, plain and simple. Although several of those are along a stream and are very pleasant to visit. The one on the Hamm Rd. I can only assume that he/she may have just transposed the coordinates. It has happened to the best of us I guess. Not sure what the lack of response is all about, but I guess there is a reason. All in all they are OK caches. And the new ones this morning had logs, that is unless Upsalquith put them in there before I got to them. That I don't know...

dubord207
05-15-2011, 11:08 AM
Sometimes some positive comment about the fact the cacher is hiding caches for us combined with some of "it might be better is you put logs in them" would be helpful. I remember logging a find on the first cache I placed and a "gentle nudge" from Brad that normally that doesn't happen. Haven't done that since! Quick study, huh? Has anybody invited the new cacher to become a member here and learn the tricks of the trade?

shuman road searchers
05-15-2011, 11:54 AM
After their first hides had no logs in them and some of us pointed that out they did put logs in their next set of hides. The caches I have done by them are not really big enough for coins or trackables.

JustPJ66
05-15-2011, 12:30 PM
My thought when I first saw these come up is that it mmight be a church youth group...if so they may not be checking the internet to often. Just a thought.

UMainah
05-15-2011, 02:35 PM
When the first batch of caches were publish a couple weeks ago, I sent a complaint email of sorts back on the 2nd to MainePublisher pretty much asking what the deal was with Acts. Got the response:
"Greetings inhUMaine,
I am working with this new cacher to understand the intent of the guidelines.
MainePublisher"
Figured it'd be better to email him than to complain to a new cacher who might not really know what he's doing. Hopefully the quality of any hides put out by Acts increases in the future.

Ekidokai
05-16-2011, 01:27 AM
Tried to contact this person and have no response yet. I think I know a little more about things but will wait until I make contact.

UMainah
09-09-2011, 07:37 AM
I noticed Acts published another batch of high quality finds. :rolleyes:

Curious, do the caches fall under this section of the Groundspeak guidelines?

4. Solicitation and Commercial Content
Geocaches do not solicit for any purpose. Geocaches perceived to be posted for religious, political, charitable or social agendas are not permitted. Geocaching is intended to be a light and enjoyable family-friendly hobby, not a platform for an agenda.

brdad
09-09-2011, 12:26 PM
I don't see any mention of the new caches that would suggest solicitation of any kind. And a few have already been favorited by the FTFr.

tat
09-09-2011, 12:28 PM
The caches do need to meet the guidelines in effect when published. While the reviewers do review the cache page listing, they do not visit each cache and examine the container. If you believe the cache page has issues to address, contact the reviewer that published the cache, usually listed as the first log entry. Concerns regarding the cache contents should be directed to Groundspeak. http://support.groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=93

dufzor
09-10-2011, 09:19 PM
I don't see any mention of the new caches that would suggest solicitation of any kind. And a few have already been favorited by the FTFr. They all contain brochures containing religious beliefs and are each signed by Acts and have have Calvery Apolstalic Church hand written on them. This round has included religious mini cds of parts of the bible. Some of the brochures are antagonistic to other religions.

dufzor
09-10-2011, 09:23 PM
And a few have already been favorited by the FTFr. I spoke with the FTF r about this just today. He is using his 200plus points to favorite all his FTF. Its not about quality. Thats how he has chosen to use his FTF points.

brdad
09-10-2011, 11:01 PM
They all contain brochures containing religious beliefs and are each signed by Acts and have have Calvery Apolstalic Church hand written on them. This round has included religious mini cds of parts of the bible. Some of the brochures are antagonistic to other religions.

I'd imagine Groundspeak is less strict on contents than the actual cache page. Trade up - take crap, leave a Mctoy! As Tat suggested, maybe someone should email Groundspeak and get an official opinion.

I spoke with the FTF r about this just today. He is using his 200 plus points to favorite all his FTF. Its not about quality. Thats how he has chosen to use his FTF points.

All I can say is ........ Sheesh!

09-11-2011, 10:09 PM
I'd imagine Groundspeak is less strict on contents than the actual cache page. Trade up - take crap, leave a Mctoy! As Tat suggested, maybe someone should email Groundspeak and get an official opinion.

All I can say is ........ Sheesh!

Or just take out all the stuff from their religion and put in something from another religion or Atheist documentation. I hate when people try to push their religion on someone else. Religion is great for those that have their own beliefs. No one religion is better than any other and you shouldn't be tricked into receiving propaganda when finding a cache.

Mainiac1957
09-12-2011, 06:07 AM
I'm sure in their mind they "Are just spreading the good word". I agree that a geocache isn't the best place to do that. Does it bother me, no not really. I'm not there to be saved as such, I'm there for a smiley. I guess if the leaflets in a cache bothers anyone they do have the option to simply not do the caches by Acts. Filter them out or just don't go. I rather doubt that Groundspeak will offer much opinion on this subject. The container is owned by the cacher and not Groundspeak after all. I would think religious paraphernalia would fall under free speech and not as something offensive. Just my two cents.

brdad
09-12-2011, 06:19 AM
I don't like to have any religion forced on me, or any other beliefs in a cache. But 'forced' to me is a strong word. To me having this stuff in a cache is not much different than business cards, coupons for Dunkin Donuts, or similar stuff in a cache - the biggest difference being this is the owner placing it in the cache and it sounds like the majority of the items originally placed into it. When any of us place a cache, we often put items in we like or that we think others would like (unless we're the type that are just getting rid of our crap).

This is an interesting topic. It's be interesting to know what other people feel about it. To me, cache contents are much less of a concern to me than the quality of the cache itself. Of course, good contents can increase the quality of a cache...

Waterski
09-12-2011, 07:54 AM
It would be interesting to see if groundspeak had any opinion on that. There are fair amount of promo advertisiments in caches for other venues...think of all the ads that McDonalds gets with the toy items. The find is the fun for me...not so much the contents as it is in many cases a tnln .

JustKev
09-12-2011, 08:08 AM
We seldom take anything from a cache unless it's a signature item or pathtag or something really cool. Hard to find something really cool very often however.

dufzor
09-14-2011, 06:00 PM
I noticed Acts published another batch of high quality finds. :rolleyes:

Curious, do the caches fall under this section of the Groundspeak guidelines?

The caches do need to meet the guidelines in effect when published. While the reviewers do review the cache page listing, they do not visit each cache and examine the container. If you believe the cache page has issues to address, contact the reviewer that published the cache, usually listed as the first log entry. Concerns regarding the cache contents should be directed to Groundspeak. http://support.groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=93

Okay, I did it...contacted groundspeak for clarification. Here is my email:
We have a person in our local area, placing geocaches. The name is Acts 2:38 and his or her caches are clearly in violations of 4. Solicitation and Commercial Content
Geocaches do not solicit for any purpose. Geocaches perceived to be posted for religious, political, charitable or social agendas are not permitted. Geocaching is intended to be a light and enjoyable family-friendly hobby, not a platform for an agenda.
Every cache of theirs that I have done, which is all but 2, have contained mulitple brochures that are marked Calgary Apostolic Chuch and are antagonistic to other lifestyles and other religions that are not pentacostal beliefs. The Acts person is now including mini cds of religious material as gifts inside the latest caches, and leaving caches that look like trash (ie. Spagetti sauce bottles) outside of churches (non apostilic) that are no longer on in active service but are on the National Registrar of Historic places. I would be very surprised if this cache http://coord.info/GC33TF9 was given permission to be placed. There were perfectly maintained grounds, a wedding took place there today and I was embarrassed to be a cacher to see the spagetti jar stuck in the shrub outside the churches main entrance.
Here is a copy of their response:

Thank you for writing in. The solicitation and commercial guidelines refer to the cache pages. Users can place any family-friendly items in the cache container that they like. There is no soliciting or commercial information on the cache GC33TF9 Union Meeting House, thus it was allowed to be published. Some may argue that this cache may not be the most interesting to find, but it is allowed.
Thank you for your concern.
Happy caching,

Nicole
Community Support, Groundspeak

Okay guys, go ahead and shoot me for expressing my views, but we have our answer from groundspeak.

brdad
09-14-2011, 06:16 PM
That is great that you contacted them and we have an official response. Saves a lot of "I think"s

JustKev
09-14-2011, 11:14 PM
That is great that you contacted them and we have an official response. Saves a lot of "I think"s

No it doesn't. I think you spoke too soon. <------See? There's an "I think" in there. And, on a more serious note, I think if it is questionable that a cache has been placed in a location *WITHOUT* landowner permission it would fall upon cachers finding it to point this out in their logs and maybe in a note to Maine Reviewer.

Ekidokai
09-14-2011, 11:36 PM
If this is such a problem, instead of creating a problem where one may not exist, contact the property owner or manager to find out for sure.

I don't believe this is a problem. It is kind of like driving by a church, if your not interested in what is inside don't go in or read the propaganda.

The permission issue is supposed to be one of the top criteria for caches, but that seems to have been ignored for the most part recently.

dufzor
10-03-2011, 09:59 PM
I just learned from Charron that she found questionable 'literature' in my caches and that the booklets are the same as what are found in a certain person's caches, who we are discussing here. My caches have not been logged by this person, and it could be another cacher moving lit from one cache to another but looking down the list, I have my doubts about that. Can someone go around filling up your caches with 'religious' lit, and not log them? Anything I can do about this? I doubt it, but if it continues to happen, I will shut down my caches as I in no way wish to promote that particular lit and its hate and anger or have it in any way associated with who I am and what I stand for.

Ekidokai
10-03-2011, 11:36 PM
I think archiveing your caches is over reacting. How about contacting Acts and asking them directtly. I have had contact with them and they seem reasonable.

Also I would not think that anything I found in a cache was directly attributed to the owner of the cache unless it was listed or referenced in the description of the cache. I find that stuff in a lot of caches. It is not in there when I leave.

JustKev
10-04-2011, 03:42 AM
We haven't found any religious tracts or literature in any caches yet. I'm sure that will come about eventually. I'd only remove it if it were promoting things I think are beyond the pale. I have, however, removed other objectionable or inappropriate items. I have also removed candy and liquids to keep animals out and to keep the cache from becoming a nasty mess when the liquid freezes and it's container bursts. Feminine hygiene products are incredibly inappropriate and I remove them immediately. I think cigarettes are just plain ignorant to put in a cache. Oh yeah, forgot to add, live ammunition. So far I've removed two .22 rounds and one 9mm. Ummm, why would you put live ammo in a cache?

Mainiac1957
10-04-2011, 04:41 AM
I will fully agree with both Mike and Kevin on this subject. Take the stuff out and let it go at that. No need to take it any further. You really don't know how the papers got there so there is no one to point the finger at anyway. And then just keep saying. It's only a game, and really nothing to get upset about....:cool:

firefighterjake
10-04-2011, 08:00 AM
I will fully agree with both Mike and Kevin on this subject. Take the stuff out and let it go at that. No need to take it any further. You really don't know how the papers got there so there is no one to point the finger at anyway. And then just keep saying. It's only a game, and really nothing to get upset about....:cool:

And I agree with Mike, Kevin and Brad . . . ;) . . . in the past I've just pulled out "junk" from my cache . . . personally I think a lot of people are complete idiots if they think a) I'm going to eat something that has been who knows how long in a smelly cache, b) they think I would use a feminine hygiene product left in a cache (well that and I am male) c) I may find myself with a .22 rifle in middle of the woods while geocaching and suddenly need .22 shells which are something like 3 cents each or d) I will suddenly convert based solely on reading a religious tract

Ekidokai
10-04-2011, 06:40 PM
Some of the candy is good.

The ammo can be used or sold. If that's all you have to trade.

Interesting reading.

Now I know what those things are. Couldn't figure out why ear plugs had strings.

firefighterjake
10-05-2011, 08:39 AM
Some of the candy is good.

The ammo can be used or sold. If that's all you have to trade.

Interesting reading.

Now I know what those things are. Couldn't figure out why ear plugs had strings.

Best line ever!!! :)

JustKev
10-05-2011, 09:14 AM

If you think that's good, you should see him when it's a maxipad.

dufzor
10-05-2011, 05:41 PM

Agreed! Thanks for helping me chill, guys.

cano
10-05-2011, 10:27 PM
Oh yeah, forgot to add, live ammunition. So far I've removed two .22 rounds and one 9mm. Ummm, why would you put live ammo in a cache?

Well, it's an ammo can. What do you expect to find there, unicorns? :P

JustKev
10-05-2011, 11:22 PM
Well, it's an ammo can. What do you expect to find there, unicorns? :P

Actually, I've found live ammo in cache containers that weren't ammo cans. Sad thing is, we were FTF on two of them. One, I asked the CO and he said he hadn't put it there so I suspect muggles added to the cache without realizing what it was all about and the second, I suspect the CO was the one who placed it there but I just don't know for sure. In any event, each time I've found it, I've removed it.