View Full Version : June Newsletter Poll

JustPJ66
05-18-2011, 09:01 AM
Here is the June Poll.

Remember this month if you choose "other" be sure to drop us a note to let us know what item you hate the most!

JustKev
06-10-2011, 08:48 AM
I really dislike finding things that could be a danger to kids. I've removed live ammunition from caches. Other things I remove are things that could be considered objectionable. Cigarettes and feminine hygiene products are a couple things we've actually found in a cache and I removed. I mean, really?!?! What possessed who ever put the Tampax in a cache?

cano
06-10-2011, 09:25 AM
It may be handy when you get "it" there :)

Ekidokai
06-10-2011, 10:52 AM
Rock's, leaves, twigs, dead batteries, rubber bands. What is wrong with you people?

I don't mind finding candy and stuff like that.

I hear this "dangerous" to kids a lot. How many "kids" are out hunting for caches alone? Do you take your kids to the store with you? Poisons like cleaning products, pool chemicals, moth balls, antifreeze are everywhere. Tools and things of the like are dangerous screwdrivers, icepicks, knives, and saws. I'm sure your parents taught you to be careful with pencils because you could poke your eye out or get lead poisoning. Come on, the branches on the trees are as dangerous as a pocket knife.

Lets teach the kids to be careful, because if we remove all obstacles and challenges they will be sorely lacking when they get into the world alone. Kids need to be taught so when they escape from the clutches of the parents they will know that touching the hot stuff will hurt.

Rant done.

JustKev
06-10-2011, 11:00 AM
Rock's, leaves, twigs, dead batteries, rubber bands. What is wrong with you people?

I don't mind finding candy and stuff like that.

I hear this "dangerous" to kids a lot. How many "kids" are out hunting for caches alone? Do you take your kids to the store with you? Poisons like cleaning products, pool chemicals, moth balls, antifreeze are everywhere. Tools and things of the like are dangerous screwdrivers, icepicks, knives, and saws. I'm sure your parents taught you to be careful with pencils because you could poke your eye out or get lead poisoning. Come on, the branches on the trees are as dangerous as a pocket knife.

Lets teach the kids to be careful, because if we remove all obstacles and challenges they will be sorely lacking when they get into the world alone. Kids need to be taught so when they escape from the clutches of the parents they will know that touching the hot stuff will hurt.

Rant done.

Leave a gun and ammo where a child can get it.

JustPJ66
06-10-2011, 03:05 PM
Dont forget if you pick the other please let us know what it is that you dislike by posting a note to this forum. Thanks :)

hollora
06-10-2011, 03:56 PM
I hate finding burst bubbles in the spring - they are yuckie. The leaves, twigs and other assorted fauna would be better left out too.

cano
06-10-2011, 05:13 PM
I hate when the cache smells and I can't wash it off.

dubord207
06-10-2011, 05:48 PM
Business cards and religious pamphlets are my least favorite things. Would it be in bad form if I removed such things?

pm28570
06-10-2011, 08:31 PM
Business cards and religious pamphlets are my least favorite things. Would it be in bad form if I removed such things?
Ditto. Seems to be quite a few of those in the immediate area.

brdad
06-10-2011, 08:41 PM
Anything smelly has to be the worst, and food will always smell to an animal. And who would dare eat it?
Several people use to put a lot of air fresheners in caches, those were horrible.

Trade up! Don't remove anything from a cache unless you trade up! Well, unless it's not acceptable in a cache or it's damaged beyond use. Take a business card, leave a sig item or pathtag!

hollora
06-10-2011, 09:24 PM
Actually, I think not...nor is it in bad form to remove other inappropriate items...but that is JMHO.

masterson of the universe
06-11-2011, 07:05 AM
Ive seen two different dangerous items in caches that I dont care for as i occasionally cache with my kids. Lighters don't belong in caches...especially those that I thought were supposed to be illegal to sell in Maine because they look like toys. (I must be wrong on this actually becoming law as I've seen all sorts of lighters at places like Walmart and Reny's that look like little fishing poles recently out with the grills and BBQ supplies.

JustKev
06-11-2011, 07:21 AM

I think that would be a very grey area. The business cards seem to be making a leap in some caches, a couple we found recently were full of business cards for the CO's business. Does that constitute a commercial cache? If a cacher visits a cache and places his business card in the cache......hmmmmm, that looks like trolling to me. I have seen them but just left them there. That one would come down to a call on the subsequent cacher's thoughts - remove or leave, it's up to them.

As far as the religious tracts go, I don't see where it's really right to remove them just because you don't agree with them. I think it would be better, if you know a particular CO is placing them in his/her caches, to just ignore those caches and not do them. I know we shouldn't discuss religion or politics on the forums but does that extend to caches? I don't recall seeing any guideline stating those types of things shouldn't be placed in caches.

There's my $.02 worth.

dubord207
06-11-2011, 05:31 PM
Kev, the pamplets are appearing in other folks caches...like mine for example. I have a great deal of respect for folks with strong religious values, but I'm not sure religious pamphlets should be placed in every cache a cacher with this inclination finds. If it comes down to somebody saying they have the right to do so under the First Amendment, then why not advertize strip joints, gun rights, legalizing marijuana or the office of Joe Boringstine? What would you say about having any of this is one of your caches, I guess that's the point and the question posed by the poll. I personally don't feel it's appropriate.

I think that would be a very grey area. The business cards seem to be making a leap in some caches, a couple we found recently were full of business cards for the CO's business. Does that constitute a commercial cache? If a cacher visits a cache and places his business card in the cache......hmmmmm, that looks like trolling to me. I have seen them but just left them there. That one would come down to a call on the subsequent cacher's thoughts - remove or leave, it's up to them.

As far as the religious tracts go, I don't see where it's really right to remove them just because you don't agree with them. I think it would be better, if you know a particular CO is placing them in his/her caches, to just ignore those caches and not do them. I know we shouldn't discuss religion or politics on the forums but does that extend to caches? I don't recall seeing any guideline stating those types of things shouldn't be placed in caches.

There's my $.02 worth.

cano
06-11-2011, 07:00 PM
I just got an automatic notification that the cache containing my travel bug has been archived because somebody took a **** in it for a second time, so they won't be restoring the cache.

dubord207
06-11-2011, 07:39 PM
I just got an automatic notification that the cache containing my travel bug has been archived because somebody took a **** in it for a second time, so they won't be restoring the cache.

Not sure there's an attribute for that! That really sucks! Where is this cache located?

JustKev
06-12-2011, 03:03 PM
Kev, the pamplets are appearing in other folks caches...like mine for example. I have a great deal of respect for folks with strong religious values, but I'm not sure religious pamphlets should be placed in every cache a cacher with this inclination finds. If it comes down to somebody saying they have the right to do so under the First Amendment, then why not advertize strip joints, gun rights, legalizing marijuana or the office of Joe Boringstine? What would you say about having any of this is one of your caches, I guess that's the point and the question posed by the poll. I personally don't feel it's appropriate.

I misunderstood where you were saying you were finding them. In those cases, kinda like the door knockers (the ones that want to talk religion or politics with you), I think it's inappropriate. I wouldn't, personally, take it upon myself to remove the pamphlet in a cache I found. If I were to find one placed in one of my caches, I would probably remove it as not really pertaining to geocaching and not really something I want in my cache because what and how I believe in isn't necessarily what others may believe and I wouldn't want them to think I was pushing something on them.

Sabby
06-12-2011, 05:10 PM
I hate to see anything that goes in your mouth or any kind of liquid in a cache. You never can tell the condition of any food item and liquids freeze cracking the container leaaving a soggy mess when temperatures warm up.

Waterski
06-12-2011, 07:24 PM
I don't understand why anyone would think candy or food is appropriate to put in a cache. Who knows where the food has been, how old it is, or how safe it is?? Who dares to eat ii? Who wants to spend a nice caching day in a candy argument with a child that finds it? I will take it out just so that an animal does not damage the cache. There have been some great listings here of other things just as bad or worse, imho. Good poll.

Mapachi
06-13-2011, 07:01 PM
I once found a cache with Maple Syrup in it! I quickly removed it and disposed of it over the next several weeks!
Also, was that Dan who was putting those Obama bumper stickers in all my caches??

dubord207
06-13-2011, 07:30 PM
That wasn't me, but I did find an LPG cache in Falmouth today in a shopping mall with an Attilla the Hun sticker on it. Was that you Pat?

shuman road searchers
06-13-2011, 08:51 PM
I once found a cache with Maple Syrup in it! I quickly removed it and disposed of it over the next several weeks!
Also, was that Dan who was putting those Obama bumper stickers in all my caches??

I think we need some clarity on this cache because of the topic. I did put homemade maple syrup in a cache for the first 5 finders. Because the cache is so close to my house I checked on it everyday to make sure that there was no problem. I think the problem was that only the first 5 got a prize!

hollora
06-14-2011, 07:55 AM
Other Maine cachers (MaineFamily) also used to put little bottles of Maple Syrup in their caches too. They were caches close to their home and they were always good about checking them and having them stocked with nice swag.
I think we need some clarity on this cache because of the topic. I did put homemade maple syrup in a cache for the first 5 finders. Because the cache is so close to my house I checked on it everyday to make sure that there was no problem. I think the problem was that only the first 5 got a prize!

dufzor
06-23-2011, 12:25 AM
I mean, really?!?! What possessed who ever put the Tampax in a cache?

Okay Kev, Nice cover~now fess up! I just found that 'unmentionable' item in one of my newest caches tonight, when I checked on the contents. Would you at least sign the log next time you drop by! LOL! Seriously....What did possess them
???? Next time, feel free to TSLN, rather than leave that!

JustKev
06-23-2011, 05:38 AM
Okay Kev, Nice cover~now fess up! I just found that 'unmentionable' item in one of my newest caches tonight, when I checked on the contents. Would you at least sign the log next time you drop by! LOL! Seriously....What did possess them
???? Next time, feel free to TSLN, rather than leave that!

Really? You found one too? It absolutely amazes me that someone would put things in a cache that are just rude. Or worse, do things to caches that defy belief. People can be so disgusting sometimes. I guess it really does take all kinds to make the world go around.

JustPJ66
06-23-2011, 05:43 AM
I guess it really does take all kinds to make the world go around.

Yes but why do those people have to live in MY world!

brdad
06-23-2011, 07:10 AM
We found one of those in EMSDanel's caches. I wonder if we looked at the logs if there is one common finder amongst them.
Actually, they appear to be a handy item, there are several lists online with alternate uses. I'll let you Google that, however, I'm not posting any links...

JustPJ66
06-23-2011, 06:38 PM
These forum posts are great folks. Looks like roast pork , :) , and other food seem to be winning.....there goes my idea for that Lasagna Cache....darn I figured people could visit that one at suppertime...OH WELL! hehe

Keep the post comming .....really enjoying seeing what you all think.

dufzor
06-23-2011, 09:39 PM
These forum posts are great folks. Looks like roast pork , :) , and other food seem to be winning.....there goes my idea for that Lasagna Cache....darn I figured people could visit that one at suppertime...OH WELL! hehe

Keep the post comming .....really enjoying seeing what you all think.

Just ring the cache dinner bell, we'll all be there to do the Lasagna Cache!