View Full Version : Memorial Weekend

Mainiac1957
05-26-2011, 05:31 AM
So with the first long weekend of the summer ahead. Does anyone have plans? We are heading to Cobscook By SP. Plan to do some major caching on Campobello Island on Sunday. Never cached there and I am looking forward to it. The weather is looking quite nice. Hoping to see a few old friends along the way too. A last minute decision to go, but it should be decent... :cool:

brdad
05-26-2011, 05:56 AM
We have our annual charity yard sale Friday and Saturday. After all the sorting and setting up we have done, I hope the weather holds up!

Sunday we may be recovering, but maybe we can get out caching Monday if it's a good day.

JustPJ66
05-26-2011, 06:10 AM
of course Kevin has to work....but he was off yesterday , today and tomorrow. so we will enjoy all the sun while we can.

attroll
05-26-2011, 07:15 AM
We are heading to Mount Blue State Park.

pm28570
05-26-2011, 07:50 AM
Yep, camping, hiking and caching in an 'undisclosed' location, where the BlackBerry will not work, so I won't either. Hoping to add to the Maine's World Tour series as well.

firefighterjake
05-26-2011, 08:09 AM
Brad . . . you've never cached on Campobello Island . . . oh, you're in for a real treat . . . Starz had some fantastic caches -- some short hikes, some longer . . . all very nice. I particularly liked the view from the two lighthouses (bring your camera) and the one with the stone sculpture in the middle of nowhere -- can't remember the name. Make sure to set some time aside to see FDR's summer "cottage" as well as this is quite interesting. Enjoy . . . Campobello is truly a special place . . . now if only I could convince Hiram to get his passport and we could do a caching run to PEI!

As for me . . . this weekend is an ATV weekend . . . I was going to squeeze in some caches . . . but I'm not sure I'll have enough time even though there are several caches along one of the trails we're doing.

Camp Jakeawana is officially open for the season and Hiram and his significant other will be coming down along with Hollora's #1 Son and Daughter-in-Law . . . and I've got a muggle ATVing friend staying over as well.

Saturday: We're ATVing somewhere in the Central Maine area . . . it was going to be in the Fairfield area, but the trails may still be closed. Later that evening we're doing a night ride on our local trail system.

Sunday: We're riding from Ellsworth to somewhere past Machias on the new Downeast Sunrise Trail . . . with gas stops, picture stops and perhaps lunch at Helen's or the Blueberry Restaurant in Machias.

Monday: The Club is hosting a pancake breakfast at the Unity House of Pizza from 7-10 a.m. . . . and several club members are riding and throwing candy at little children in the Unity Memorial Day Parade at 9 a.m.

All in all . . . a busy weekend.

NativeMainer
05-26-2011, 08:30 AM
Saturday, I'm attending a party for my parents - 50th wedding anniversary. Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday I'm working 11 hour shifts. Not a heck of a lot of time for caching. :(

cano
05-26-2011, 03:47 PM
Campobello Island is really great. I remember one cache in the middle of nowhere with some stone sculpture I couldn't find the cache, but the place was spectacular. I had only T-shirt and shorts and it was raining and freezing and I was in the middle of nowhere. Couple of hours back to my car. I was planning doing 50 caches there in a day, but ended up with just a few. Forget about park and grabs.

I'm planning caching in Canada on memorial weekend too, but I don't know where yet.

cano
05-26-2011, 04:26 PM
Here is some photo gallery of my trip to Campobello Island https://picasaweb.google.com/canecky/CampobelloIslandCanada2009
I spent night at some Irish hotel on the US side and went caching next day. I've got my first international FTF there as well :)

Waterski
05-26-2011, 09:24 PM
I loved Campobello. You will love it I am certain. I also did that cache with the " stone in the middle of nowhere" Do it. It is one third of a rainbow statue, one of which is on the most eastern, western and northern part of the US if I am not mistaken. Great walk out there and it is the tip of the US part of Campobello.We tried to get out there before dark and before the looming rain storm hit. We are going to the Deer Isle area if my grandkids are over the flu. They will be with me since their parents are both graduating from college this week. Have fun everyone.

Waterski
05-26-2011, 09:32 PM
Ok- here it is. Sunsweep Sculpture Cache, GC1C7G7. Were were there on July 19,2008 and posted some pictures. Hope its on your list.

cano
05-26-2011, 10:03 PM
Are you saying that the peninsula with the sculpture is US land? This is strange, the whole island is strange!

Starzz
05-27-2011, 05:39 AM
Campobello Island is all Canadian! :)

We are all stranger here on Campobello, so be warned! HAHA.

Here is a little bit of info on the Sunsweep Sculpture: http://www.fdr.net/sunsweep-sculpture

Mainiac1957
05-27-2011, 05:55 AM
We will be there caching on Sunday. No idea how much we will cover, but looking forward to it. Maybe we can run into you Sue.

hollora
05-27-2011, 08:32 AM
Brad . . . you've never cached on Campobello Island . . . oh, you're in for a real treat . . . Starz had some fantastic caches -- some short hikes, some longer . . . all very nice. I particularly liked the view from the two lighthouses (bring your camera) and the one with the stone sculpture in the middle of nowhere -- can't remember the name. Make sure to set some time aside to see FDR's summer "cottage" as well as this is quite interesting. Enjoy . . . Campobello is truly a special place . . . now if only I could convince Hiram to get his passport and we could do a caching run to PEI!

As for me . . . this weekend is an ATV weekend . . . I was going to squeeze in some caches . . . but I'm not sure I'll have enough time even though there are several caches along one of the trails we're doing.

Camp Jakeawana is officially open for the season and Hiram and his significant other will be coming down along with Hollora's #1 Son and Daughter-in-Law . . . and I've got a muggle ATVing friend staying over as well.

Saturday: We're ATVing somewhere in the Central Maine area . . . it was going to be in the Fairfield area, but the trails may still be closed. Later that evening we're doing a night ride on our local trail system.

Sunday: We're riding from Ellsworth to somewhere past Machias on the new Downeast Sunrise Trail . . . with gas stops, picture stops and perhaps lunch at Helen's or the Blueberry Restaurant in Machias.

Monday: The Club is hosting a pancake breakfast at the Unity House of Pizza from 7-10 a.m. . . . and several club members are riding and throwing candy at little children in the Unity Memorial Day Parade at 9 a.m.

All in all . . . a busy weekend.

I have a passport but have never cached Campabello so when someone is going, give me a shout and if I am free I would love to go.

hollora
05-27-2011, 08:33 AM
Plans were to head to OOB/Saco early tomorrow AM but Granddaughter is ill so things may change. Taking on day at a time. Everyeone remember the reason for the Holiday weekend, enjoy and stay safe out there.

Waterski
05-27-2011, 01:03 PM
Now I am wondering where I got that information about the US and Campobello. This is a blurp however from the National Park Service Page nps.gov. http://www.nps.gov/ner/templates/images/graphics/spacer.gif .textWrappedAroundImage { margin-bottom:15px; } .floatingImage { width:150px; float:right; text-align:left; margin-left:15px; margin-bottom:8px; } .floatingImage p { padding:0; margin: 0; } .floatingImage p.credit { color: #aaa; font-size: 9px; text-transform: uppercase; } .floatingImage p.caption { color: #668033; } .clearfix:after { content: "."; display: block; height: 0; clear: both; visibility: hidden; } .clearfix {display: inline-block;} /* Hides from IE-mac \*/ .clearfix {display: block;} * html .clearfix {height: 1%;} /* end hide from IE-mac */ Is Roosevelt Campobello International Park part of the National Park Service?
Roosevelt Campobello International Park is administered by a commission composed of members from both the United States and Canada. The park is owned, funded, and staffed by people from both countries.

http://www.nps.gov/ner/templates/images/graphics/spacer.gif .textWrappedAroundImage { margin-bottom:15px; } .floatingImage { width:150px; float:right; text-align:left; margin-left:15px; margin-bottom:8px; } .floatingImage p { padding:0; margin: 0; } .floatingImage p.credit { color: #aaa; font-size: 9px; text-transform: uppercase; } .floatingImage p.caption { color: #668033; } .clearfix:after { content: "."; display: block; height: 0; clear: both; visibility: hidden; } .clearfix {display: inline-block;} /* Hides from IE-mac \*/ .clearfix {display: block;} * html .clearfix {height: 1%;} /* end hide from IE-mac */

Waterski
05-27-2011, 01:06 PM
wow- much more than you needed to know...read between the lines of garble.
http://www.nps.gov/ner/templates/images/graphics/spacer.gif .textWrappedAroundImage { margin-bottom:15px; } .floatingImage { width:150px; float:right; text-align:left; margin-left:15px; margin-bottom:8px; } .floatingImage p { padding:0; margin: 0; } .floatingImage p.credit { color: #aaa; font-size: 9px; text-transform: uppercase; } .floatingImage p.caption { color: #668033; } .clearfix:after { content: "."; display: block; height: 0; clear: both; visibility: hidden; } .clearfix {display: inline-block;} /* Hides from IE-mac \*/ .clearfix {display: block;} * html .clearfix {height: 1%;} /* end hide from IE-mac */ Is Roosevelt Campobello International Park part of the National Park Service?
Roosevelt Campobello International Park is administered by a commission composed of members from both the United States and Canada. The park is owned, funded, and staffed by people from both countries.

Mainiac1957
05-27-2011, 03:29 PM
We're going Sunday to Campobello Lois.....Come on down!!

EMSDanel
05-27-2011, 06:12 PM
Two full-time people out from surgery, Operations Manager out on vacation, others out sick. Looks like I'm working a 24 hour stint on Saturday to cover. More on Sunday. MIGHT have some time off on Monday, not sure. No caching this week. I need to win the lottery.....

hollora
05-27-2011, 07:43 PM
Thanks for the invite Mainiac1957. Ralph and I are headed early tomorrow to do the appointed visit.......and we will add a cemetery or two which we were not going to do. Probably will stay close but appreciate the invite. ;-)
We're going Sunday to Campobello Lois.....Come on down!!

brdad
05-30-2011, 05:23 AM
We had a great success at our yard sale and the remaining items will go to an equally deserving cause. Yesterday we checked out the Roller Rink Antique store in Detroit; today we will wait for this storm to pass and do some caching.

Let's not forget the meaning of this holiday - if not for the sacrifices of so many we could not enjoy the weekend doing what we like to do. Thanks to all who have served and are serving to make this possible.

Team2hunt
05-30-2011, 07:58 PM
Campobello Island is all Canadian! :)

We are all stranger here on Campobello, so be warned! HAHA.

Here is a little bit of info on the Sunsweep Sculpture: http://www.fdr.net/sunsweep-sculpture

Sue you were a great host when we were last there. The camping at Cobscook State Park, was one of my favorite Maine parks as we had most of the area to ourselves. The caches on the island were spectacular and made for a very memorable trip.

And the friends we encountered along the way.......

cano
05-30-2011, 09:29 PM
I spent my day on The Island, found one cache and took a scenic flight. :)

Kaching Karen
05-31-2011, 08:03 PM
Tat and I biked from Augusta to Camden, Camden to Owls Head area, and then met a friend to bike around the Searport area. We found a nice cache in a great spot; Beech Hill. Loved it.

brdad
05-31-2011, 08:44 PM
Beech Hill is a great one!

Haffy
06-01-2011, 05:37 PM
Beech Hill is a great one!

Speaking of Beech Hill, I found this in my photo archives.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a125/haffy6/MainePlaces296Large.jpg

firefighterjake
06-02-2011, 07:00 AM
Speaking of Beech Hill, I found this in my photo archives.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a125/haffy6/MainePlaces296Large.jpg

But where do they hide the cache here . . . I mean, I don't see any guardrails or lamp posts. ;)