View Full Version : White jeeps

d’76
07-07-2005, 04:14 PM
If anyone goes to the GC.com web site take alook around the Brewer area caches. Some of them say that theres White Jeeps in them and people are logging them as not there. I wonder where they could be going?? any one have any suggestions.

After further research on the GC.com page maybe the white jeeps and the yellow jeeps are just hanging out together. Seems like this is a hot ticket item and maybe folks shouldn't expect to find them in caches.:( 8 are missing statewide. Thats a big number considering only a few more than that report having them at all.

Maybe these are collectors items and I misunderstood. Should I get myself one?

Murray Musketeers
07-07-2005, 07:42 PM
Not sure Dave. We have found 2 so far. One last month(Luvyna) in Bingham and one this month in Belfast(Jeffery). We released Luvyna after we took our pics for this month's contest and will do the same with Jeffery soon. Has anyone else posted pics for the contest. Would love to see them. Ours is http://www.geocaching.com/track/log.aspx?luid=23352a04-696f-4e47-84f9-acbaa25ca05e&IID=e9b13b02-4133-4db0-ac03-42334a1226d1.

Thanks

Haffy
07-07-2005, 07:50 PM
I've got one that I picked up at Rick's event in Litchfield a couple of weeks ago but I am waiting to put it in a new cache that I am working on so look for one coming into the Skowhegan area soon. It's name is Melynda.

tat
07-07-2005, 07:53 PM
I dropped off one in Coos Canyon. You may have to swim for it, especially if it's as hot as last weekend!

Beach Comber
07-07-2005, 07:59 PM
I have 2 that I will be placing in the Portland area this weekend - I have been unintentionally slow in getting them launched. Perhaps these are not part of the 8 that you reference since I have made the initial placement yet.

d’76
07-07-2005, 08:01 PM
What I mean is That they are really missing. Placed one day and a cacher goes to get it the next day or so and Its gone. Not a log stating that someone took it lately and will place it soon just gone or been missing for months.

Here are the ones that I'm talking about:

Dyselexias Nitemare
Indian Trial
Josh Chamberlain
Brewer High School Adv. Math Class
Maine Resident Rock Star
Low's Bridge
Thompson Island
Machias... A place to remember

Dave

Hiker Twins
07-07-2005, 08:21 PM
I placed a Jeep in Prospect Mountain View cache in NH on Sunday and it was missing the next day and no one has logged it yet. I hope it doesn't come up amongst the missing.

Ye Olde Prospector
07-07-2005, 10:06 PM
I have sent two out so far, doing OK. "Marlow" has been to 4 caches and is logged out now. "Lay" has been picked up and properly logged at the moment. So hope they continue on their adventures. Course you never know they can disappear just as quickly. That's a chance with all TB's. I have a TB "Official Maine Lighthouse" that has been travelling around in England for a year and a half and has lots of pics at lighthouses,castles and even in Bath, England. Just never know.

YOP

Cache Maine
07-07-2005, 10:12 PM
Dyselexias Nitemare
Indian Trial
Josh Chamberlain
Brewer High School Adv. Math Class
Maine Resident Rock Star
Low's Bridge
Thompson Island
Machias... A place to remember

Dave
I have info on two of those, and for the record, they are both yellow jeeps...Thompson Island was one that I placed and I have emailed the people who picked it up and there's been no response. I figure this one is long gone unless they decide to log it some day...I think they might have also taken the Road2Ruin Yellow Geocoin.

Machias... A place to remember... picked up today! Yay! It's on it's way to Canada with me tomorrow!

Hiker Twins
07-08-2005, 06:08 AM
I placed a Jeep in Prospect Mountain View cache in NH on Sunday and it was missing the next day and no one has logged it yet. I hope it doesn't come up amongst the missing.

This Jeep TB was logged yesterday. Yeah!

WhereRWe?
07-08-2005, 06:48 AM
If anyone goes to the GC.com web site take alook around the Brewer area caches. Some of them say that theres White Jeeps in them and people are logging them as not there. I wonder where they could be going?? any one have any suggestions.

After further research on the GC.com page maybe the white jeeps and the yellow jeeps are just hanging out together. Seems like this is a hot ticket item and maybe folks shouldn't expect to find them in caches.:( 8 are missing statewide. Thats a big number considering only a few more than that report having them at all.

Maybe these are collectors items and I misunderstood. Should I get myself one?

I placed 4 White Jeeps, and all are still accounted for. I think what happened - as I initially feared - is that some people placed Jeeps in caches without logging them so as to be a surprise to the finder. But with so many new cachers, who may not be familiar with the Jeep TB's, they are keeping them as souvenirs.

Just my "gut feeling"...

As many of us know why participated in last years "Jeep event", a lot of Jeeps went missing real fast... :(

TwoMaineiacs
07-08-2005, 07:35 AM
We picked up White Jeep "Rapere" at "Slipping into summer". It's still travelling. The log is at http://tinyurl.com/7wa3o and our photo at http://tinyurl.com/7347n. We knew when we placed the jeep that it was going into good hands since it went hand to hand to BlueGrass Gyrl right at a cache. <G>

Anne

Team Nirvana
07-08-2005, 07:47 AM
My cache, Dyslexic Nightmare, has indicated there is a yellow jeep in it for a very long time and I know its not in there. Is there some some way to erase it from the page that I don't know about. I've been thinking aboul leaving a note on the page telling everyone that its not there. I would not want someone to work so hard on that cache to get that bug and then be disappointed.

Haffy
07-08-2005, 08:09 AM
Try the TB Graveyard at GC72A8 where literally hundreds of missing TB's have been laid in their final resting place. The only problem with this is, I think you have to have the TB number to be able to do this. Remember to save the TB number someplace in case this happens.

WhereRWe?
07-08-2005, 09:25 AM
Try the TB Graveyard at GC72A8 where literally hundreds on missing TB's have been laid in their final resting place.

Trouble is... don't you have to have the TB number to move it? I know I have the duplicate tags for all the TB's we've placed marked with the TB name, but who kept track of the Jeep numbers! LOL! :D

Sudonim
07-08-2005, 07:05 PM
My fault. I had the only valid log on yellow Jeep #1001 that I placed in Dyslexics Nightmare, and didn't record the number. A week after I left it, RangerDoc posted a note saying he found it and was taking it to Georgia, but never posted the cache as a find, or removed the jeep from the cache. I'm not sure how to get rid of the jeep from the cache on the computer without the number. Is it stored in my info somewhere?

d’76
07-08-2005, 08:41 PM
So does anyone know how to remove the tb from the web page. I don't think that it can be done. Maybe the cache owner should post that there is no jeep tb in there. However that makes it difficult when one does find it's way to a cache.

:)

Team Nirvana
07-08-2005, 09:22 PM
I found the jeep TB from Sudonim's cache history and got to the web page for that bug. Then I found a spot where the bug can be checked off as missing. I think that erases the bug from the cache page. It appears that anyone can report the bug as missing and have it disappear from the web page. Then keep the bug. I suspect Jeep would like have them floating around. The marketing idea is clearly sucessful as Jeep is runing the promotion for a second year.

d’76
07-08-2005, 09:44 PM
Great job Alex,

I just went to the GC.com web and theres no jeep there anymore!!

Thanks,

Dave:)

brdad
07-09-2005, 05:04 AM
I placed 4 White Jeeps, and all are still accounted for. I think what happened - as I initially feared - is that some people placed Jeeps in caches without logging them so as to be a surprise to the finder. But with so many new cachers, who may not be familiar with the Jeep TB's, they are keeping them as souvenirs.

Just my "gut feeling"...

As many of us know why participated in last years "Jeep event", a lot of Jeeps went missing real fast... :(

I still maintain that the fact Jeeps were placed unlogged makes little difference. I released all of Maine's 40 Jeeps last year, and I only logged 13 - all the others were handed to cachers unlogged or placed in caches unlogged. Most seemed to stick around a while. If someone wants a Jeep, they can take one from a cache without logging it out - it happens to other TBs all the time. And newer (or therwise unknowing) cachers can do this whether it is a Jeep TB or any other. This is one reason I am not a TB fan - there are too many opportunities for things to go wrong.

I think this year's Jeeps will not last as long on account of that many cachers have realized the collectability of the yellow Jeeps and don't want to miss out. And, if they didn't win a prize in last year's contest, they're more apt to say screw it and keep a Jeep this year for a prize.

tat
07-09-2005, 07:51 AM
This is not exactly on topic, but as a cache owner, should I be reporting TBs as missing when I determine they are no longer in the cache?

WhereRWe?
07-09-2005, 08:28 AM
This is not exactly on topic, but as a cache owner, should I be reporting TBs as missing when I determine they are no longer in the cache?

Yup, but if you can determine who took it, you should attempt to contact the holder and get them to log it. Also, let the owner know it's missing and let them be the one to delete it. If these actions fail, then do whatever to "clean up" the cache.

I've had a couple of TB's go missing when the caches they were in was muggled. The cache owner was nice enough to alert the TB owners. :D

tat
07-09-2005, 01:19 PM
let the owner know it's missing and let them be the one to delete it.

I like this idea, it lets the TB owner have full control over their property.

Even though I hate to have someone come looking for a bug that is not there. If the logs show that the bug are not there, then I suppose that should be good enough.