View Full Version : June 29th Coming to Belfast - Vic & Blaine's Suicide Awareness Bicycle Tour - Meet

hollora
06-23-2011, 08:21 PM
Although I was to late to publish this as an "Official" Geocaching dot com Event - it's ok - let's get together anyway. June 29th, Comfort Inn, Belfast ME - 6P - 8P, although it is possible we may start a bit sooner - watch this thread to learn updates.

I would like to cordially invite Geocachers, friends and others to come meet Vic (vicbiker) & Blaine as they stay over at the Comfort Inn Ocean's Edge, 159 Searsport Avenue, Belfast, the night of June 29th - Breakfast nook area.

I am happy to host this little Meet N Greet so folks can wish them well along the way. Just a little time to talk, reflect, ask questions, etc. More detail will follow on Monday. If you plan on attending - please post to this thread with the number of people (bring a friend too if you like).

There will be some door prizes (not sure how many, or what they will be - but I will have some stuff and there will be at least 2 unactivated Geocoins). Everyone will get a door prize ticket (even if you are unable to donate) but if you wish to donate there will be a "blind" donation jar for you to drop something in for a donation (no amount to small - suggested donation $1 - $5). Checks will be accepted as donations as The JD Foundation is a non-profit Foundation.

Here is what the ride is all about (written by Vic): In 2004 Blaine and I embarked on a cross country bicycle tour from Anacortes Wash. to our home in Abbot Maine.That experience forever changed our lives and we vowed that we would do something similar to that trip every couple of years. Unfortunately the following year my wife Cheryl and I were to lose a son to suicide and once again our lives were changed forever. The JD Foundation was started as a result of this tragic event to... help raise awareness and prevent suicide.

This tour will be our way of doing what we love while at the same time raising awareness for the JD Foundation's efforts to prevent suicide in the state of Maine. As we ride the length of route one we are in hopes that some of you will come ride with us, provide us with places to camp, connect us to local media, open your hearts to support our efforts by making a donation.

Our plans for this ride will be to cover 40-60 miles a day giving us the time to connect with people along the route. Leaving Fort Kent - Monday 6/20/11 we ride to Van Buren,
6/21/11 to Presque Isle, 6/22/11 to Orient, 6/23/11 to Princeton, 6/24/11 to Calais for two nights, 6/26/11 to Cobcook State Park, 6/27/11 to Jonesport, 6/28/11 to Sullivan, 6/29/11 to Belfast, 6/30/11 to Wiscasset, 7/1/11 to Biddeford, 7/2/11 we finish our ride in Kittery.

Travel plans for tomorrow will preclude me responding to posts after 9 AM but if you have questions all will be answered by Sunday night. Thank you!

dubord207
06-24-2011, 06:30 AM
Di and I will try to skip down. Keep us posted if the time or date changes. This is a terrific and worth cause that Vic and Blaine are promoting and what an effort by the two of them!

attroll
06-24-2011, 12:52 PM
It is to bad this is in the middle of the week. I would like to attend.

dubord207
06-24-2011, 04:40 PM
Come on down Rick...I'm buying!

QUOTE=attroll;77773]It is to bad this is in the middle of the week. I would like to attend.[/QUOTE]

hollora
06-26-2011, 05:47 PM
Well, I don't see a lot of people here but that is ok. It is a weekday - sorry, not everything can happen on weekend...........and it isn't (sorry) an official Geocaching dot com Smilie event. Regardless, I believe those who come will enjoy a great time. 6P - 8P and there will be door prizes. I won't commit to snacks or food until I see a bit more either here or through Facebook.

It sounds like Cheryl will be there to walk us through some more information about Suicide prevention - and there are some great caches nearby for those who have not cached in the area.

Post your intentions here OR on our Faceboo page http://www.facebook.com/#!/event.php?eid=237590979603117 Thanks a bunch. Everyone have a great and safe summer!

dufzor
06-26-2011, 06:25 PM
I would like to go to this but I would need to hitchhike. Anyone passing thru Frankfort on their way to the event? If so and you are willing to take a non paying rider, please PM me. Thanks!

pm28570
06-26-2011, 07:56 PM
Once again, weekdays generally find me out of town. Doesn't diminish the importance however.

dufzor
06-27-2011, 01:02 AM
Di and I will try to skip down. This I've gotta see!!!! Will you be skipping all the way from home or just after you partake of the beverages???

dubord207
06-27-2011, 07:20 AM
We'll be coming from home after work and with me driving, there will be one beverage only!

hollora
06-27-2011, 04:48 PM
The menu has been selected - a bit weird but hey, this is 6P - 8P so what do you want..........I hope everyone is ok with Chocolate Chip Cookies and Ice Tea - otherwise - bring pot luck! ;)

It's not about the food or anything else - except to wish them well on the journey and maybe get a donation or two. We will be in a public area if we are a small group and that will help promote what we are doing.

Please pass the word to friends in the area. This is pretty close for some folks.

See a few of you Wednesday!

dubord207
06-27-2011, 07:34 PM
C'mon folks, this is the kind of effort we should ALL embrace. For those in the Central Maine area, or the Bangor area, Belfast isn't a real long hike. But what is a long hike/bike ride, it's Fort Kent to Kittery! Yeah, it's a week night, but for many just a drive of an hour and a half or less so as Monty Hall would say "Come on down." You'll be glad you did, it's the right thing to do! You won't get a geocaching smiley but you'll be glad you joined your fellow cachers. Hope to see a lot of you at the Comfort Inn in Belfast Wednesday!

hollora
06-27-2011, 07:55 PM
C'mon folks, this is the kind of effort we should ALL embrace. For those in the Central Maine area, or the Bangor area, Belfast isn't a real long hike. But what is a long hike/bike ride, it's Fort Kent to Kittery! Yeah, it's a week night, but for many just a drive of an hour and a half or less so as Monty Hall would say "Come on down." You'll be glad you did, it's the right thing to do! You won't get a geocaching smiley but you'll be glad you joined your fellow cachers. Hope to see a lot of you at the Comfort Inn in Belfast Wednesday!

Thanks for the support and push Dan! I know The JD Foundation appreciates it!

brdad
06-27-2011, 10:03 PM
I think we're gonna miss it by one day, we are planning to go to Belfast tomorrow, and I need to stick close to home Wednesday. Sorry we can't make it, we are rooting for Vic & Blaine nonetheless!

dufzor
06-27-2011, 11:03 PM
The meal sounds delicious!!!!! Yum!!!!!

NativeMainer
06-27-2011, 11:48 PM
Hey, I live in Biddeford. I don't know where you'll end up, but I'd be more than happy to say "Howdy." I don't get out of work until 8:00 (could be a little sooner, depending on how busy we are at the pizza place I work at).

dubord207
06-28-2011, 05:41 AM
Vic and Blaine are doing their North to South trek on Route 1 so as some point they'll be in your neighborhood. Not sure when they'll be in your area but I'll find out tomorrow nite and let you know.

Hey, I live in Biddeford. I don't know where you'll end up, but I'd be more than happy to say "Howdy." I don't get out of work until 8:00 (could be a little sooner, depending on how busy we are at the pizza place I work at).

MacFriends
06-28-2011, 07:43 AM
We've put this one on the calendar. See you on Wednesday night. Dan, we're bringing a map of Dodge Point for you - after we use it today.

hollora
06-28-2011, 10:52 AM
We've put this one on the calendar. See you on Wednesday night. Dan, we're bringing a map of Dodge Point for you - after we use it today.

It will be great to see you! Far to long.

Cookies are baked folks ~ looking forward to seeeing those who can make it and realize it can't work for all.

dufzor
06-28-2011, 07:58 PM
I would like to go to this but I would need to hitchhike. Anyone passing thru Frankfort on their way to the event? If so and you are willing to take a non paying rider, please PM me. Thanks!

I have a ride now. Thanks Hollora and Ralph. Better not leave me alone in the car with those choco chip cookies!

hollora
06-28-2011, 09:58 PM
And last but not least - check out this event on FB - Meet N Greet Vic...........etc. as there is a photo of the first 3 Geocoins for door prizes and EMSDanel just added another. Hope to see a few of you there.

hollora
06-29-2011, 12:50 PM
Hope to see a few of our members there tonight. EMSDanel donated a beautiful unactivated XLE Antique Silver Dharmachakra Geocoin to the mix. One of 25 minted and it's a beauty! Cheers for VicNBlaine on the journey!

hollora
06-30-2011, 12:06 AM
Thanks to everyone who came out for the event (sans smilie). There were a total of 8 folks there which I believe encompassed 5 Geocaching nics. We all enjoyed an evening of socalization and fun. Again, thanks for the support............and to those who could not join us...........we understood and there will be another time!