View Full Version : Bombastic caches

cano
07-19-2011, 09:14 AM
http://www.geocaching.com/bookmarks/view.aspx?guid=909c9502-796e-442f-aa8f-b71be68a772b&gclid=CKLB0IS9jaoCFQp75Qodd0Ga1w

I found this link in Google adsense. Groundspeak is actually paying Google to display this in theirs ads.

brdad
07-19-2011, 10:24 AM
That's quite a list. Do we know it is groundspeak that is paying for the ad, and maybe this list being on it was coincidence?

Mainiac1957
07-19-2011, 04:30 PM
Well we have our own to add to it now...
http://bangordailynews.com/2011/07/19/news/bangor/police-respond-to-geocaching-container-mistaken-for-bomb-at-best-buy/

cano
07-19-2011, 04:59 PM
Well we have our own to add to it now...
http://bangordailynews.com/2011/07/19/news/bangor/police-respond-to-geocaching-container-mistaken-for-bomb-at-best-buy/

haha, that's funny, so whose cache was it?

brdad
07-19-2011, 05:04 PM
I'm guessing it was a puzzle cache and thought it might be one of yours.
It could also be one that was never approved and just left there.
I checked opencaching and none are listed there.

EDIT: I found out what cache it was. It was a puzzle cache. I'm not sure if posting it here is the right thing to do without the cache owner knowing, so I will restrain. But it should not be too hard for anyone to find out.

cano
07-19-2011, 05:15 PM
I'm guessing it was a puzzle cache and thought it might be one of yours.
It could also be one that was never approved and just left there.
I checked opencaching and none are listed there.

I don't have any cache near best buy, but there used to be one mainehockeyfan's puzzle cache there.
They mentioned there is seven more caches in bangor mall area and they are all MINE! Actually only placeholders since they are all puzzle

Ekidokai
07-20-2011, 10:41 AM
I don't have any cache near best buy, but there used to be one mainehockeyfan's puzzle cache there.
They mentioned there is seven more caches in bangor mall area and they are all MINE! Actually only placeholders since they are all puzzle

That one doesn't look like a bomb. None of yours do either. I'm guessing yet again this was the fault of people not being stealthy.

firefighterjake
07-21-2011, 07:03 AM
. . . or folks attempting to be stealthy and just calling more attention to themselves. Sometimes the best way to avoid suspicion is to simply act like what you are doing is normal and above the board.

brdad
07-21-2011, 08:48 AM
. . . or folks attempting to be stealthy and just calling more attention to themselves. Sometimes the best way to avoid suspicion is to simply act like what you are doing is normal and above the board.

Exactly, and no matter what place of business you go to, there are always those people poking around in bushes and fooling with the electrical equipment. Yup, perfectly normal. :):p:)

JustKev
07-21-2011, 08:53 AM
Exactly, and no matter what place of business you go to, there are always those people poking around in bushes and fooling with the electrical equipment. Yup, perfectly normal. :):p:)

Buy a hardhat (we sell them at Lowe's), carry a clipboard and look official. No one will even bat an eyelash.

JustPJ66
07-21-2011, 09:01 AM
Buy a hardhat (we sell them at Lowe's), carry a clipboard and look official. No one will even bat an eyelash.

better yet.....get 2 little dogs and put them on a leash...nooone will want to see what those dogs are doing.

JustKev
07-21-2011, 09:17 AM
better yet.....get 2 little dogs and put them on a leash...nooone will want to see what those dogs are doing.

Or they'll be all over you to make sure you clean up after your pet because dog poop is the reason the oceans are polluted and a major cause of global warming.

kayakerinme
07-21-2011, 11:00 AM
One of the designs I liked best I was at Geowoodstock Texas in 2006 - a couple of geocachers from Illinois had orange t-shirts with a small logo on the front with "Guardrail Inspection Co." and "Guardrail Inspector" in big black letters on the back. I haven't seen them since. They looked very official. Maybe there'd need to be a lamp post inspector now...:D

Ekidokai
07-21-2011, 01:09 PM

The stuff you sell screams "I'm a suspicious person".

One of the designs I liked best I was at Geowoodstock Texas in 2006 - a couple of geocachers from Illinois had orange t-shirts with a small logo on the front with "Guardrail Inspection Co." and "Guardrail Inspector" in big black letters on the back. I haven't seen them since. They looked very official. Maybe there'd need to be a lamp post inspector now...:D

Mine says across the back "Leave me the frig alone".

firefighterjake
07-21-2011, 06:11 PM

Or wear your fire department T-shirt or job shirt and just tell them that you're looking for hydrants and water lines . . . of course this may not work if you're wearing your Bangor FD T-shirt and you're in Lewiston. :) ;)

firefighterjake
07-21-2011, 06:12 PM
Funny thing is I wrote to a member of the Bomb Squad today (and donated a suitcase -- they're always on the look out for suitcases to blow up or use in demos) and he said he did make sure he signed the log of the cache in Bangor. . . . HehHeh . . . a geocacher at heart.