View Full Version : GSAK 8 beta

brdad
08-13-2011, 11:52 AM
I just got around to installing and trying out GSAK 8 beta this morning, it has several new features, many of which utilize GSAK's acess to gc.com's API. Downloading and loading PQs from inside of GSAK is a biggie.

8.0.0 Beta August, 2011

General:

New Geocaching.com api support
Get Geocaches
Refresh cache data
Download pocket queries
Get logs
Status check
Favorite points
Update user information
Publish logs
Add to bookmark list
Added support for custom data
New Custom filter tab
New section in HTML output
New section in Database=>Global replace
Add/Edit custom data
Configure custom data fields
New options in move/copy dialog
New fields section in grid display
Added gc.com log date correction
Added GSAK sqlite manager
Added special tag %custom_xxxxx
Added new special tag %caches_xxxxxxxx
Added option to tool bar menu to configure the tool bar color
Added proxy server support (more info)
Added support for cache and log images (currently only populated when the Groundspeak api is used to fetch caches)
Added support for favorite points,Premium caches, Gc.com notes, Cache Guid (currently only populated when the Groundspeak api is used to fetch caches)
Added new cache types - Lost and found event, Groundspeak HQ, Lost and found celebration (currently only populated when the Groundspeak api is used to fetch caches)
New HTML standard layout with custom configuration
Updated most controls to give GSAK a more current look and feel
API and GPX load now round coordinates to 6 decimal places
New program Update alert
Automatic download and update of new versions

Macro related:

Added Html support for Buttons, labels, check boxes, and radio buttons (more info)
Added "Alignment" property to macro button control (more info)
Added system variable $_GcCorrect (more info)
Added support for the system variables $_AppData and $_ExePath in all form data
Added new CheckGroup form control
Added macro support to api calls (more info)
Added macro function GcFavPoints(more info)
Added command XmlToSqlite
Added CustomFormat() macro function
New macro form control CheckGroup
Added function CustomConfig()
Added function CustomGet()
Added function CsvGet()
Added Repeat/Util loop support
Added sqlite function g_LatLonFormat()
Added Delim=*csv* option to sqlite() function
Auto add of vertical scroll bar for Macro forms greater than screen height
Added macro support for GUI Groundspeak api options
GcFavPoints - Favorite points support
GcGetCaches - Grab geocaches
GcGetLogs - Grab logs
GcGetNewToken - Get a new api token
GcGetPQ - Download and optionally load PQs
GcRefresh - Refresh cache data to most current
GcStatusCheck - Update cache status
GcUpdateUserInfo - Update user information

Ekidokai
08-14-2011, 01:32 PM
Very cool. I like that.

Gob-ler
08-14-2011, 06:09 PM
Been playing with the new GSAK for a few days now and really like most of what I see. Not getting my PQ's to down load correctly, but I am sure I just need to work on it.

I like the new look of things as well. Colors, easy on the old eyes! Nice!

Mainiac1957
08-15-2011, 05:42 AM
Yes, I have been enjoying it as well. Many new features. Seems a lot faster too.

masterson of the universe
08-15-2011, 08:32 AM
8 is not showing available on the site. How'd you guys get it?

08-15-2011, 08:33 AM
Scratch that...found it in the forums.

brdad
08-15-2011, 09:02 AM
I could have sworn I put a link to it in my post. Old age I guess. For anyone who is having trouble locating it, go to this thread: GSAK V8, Beta (http://gsak.net/board/index.php?showtopic=19095). The Full install is in the first post. Once you have installed that, scroll down to the last post that has and update link in it and download and install that. As with most betas, expect a few glitches - there will be updates and bug fixes on a regular basis, so keep watching.

Mainiac1957
08-15-2011, 08:40 PM
So far I am liking the changes.

JustKev
08-17-2011, 10:36 AM
Gotta love a programmer who writes code for a new release that continues to support user addons like the macros in GSAK. I've seen other software releases that disable user added scripting that requires a complete re-write of your script or macro to make it work again.

brdad
08-17-2011, 01:41 PM
Gotta love a programmer who writes code for a new release that continues to support user addons like the macros in GSAK. I've seen other software releases that disable user added scripting that requires a complete re-write of your script or macro to make it work again.

Clyde could not be more fair. Allowing users to use GSAK on multiple computers, always helping in the forums/email, and not charging for every little upgrade. Word is we will have to pay for Ver. 8, but it is well worth it.

brdad
08-25-2011, 01:53 PM
So with GSAK 8 and API access, We can now get our regularly scheduled PQs and/or we can opt to directly load caches through the API, up to 2000 per hour / 6000 per day.

At the NH block party event I was talking with Rich of Glonch's Pride who does the GSAK 101 classes and he was pondering how this new feature will change the way cachers use GSAK, so that he could adjust his classes accordingly.

The first instinct seems to be that there is less need to download PQs, as all you need to do is load the caches you need just before heading out.

But for me, I am thinking the opposite. I value my full PQ database even more, and feel more free to perhaps create databases of NH, VT, and maybe MA as well, and use my API access to update the caches I want to do just before heading out. For example, I've use API access a lot in the past few days to get favorite points for caches already in my database.

Is anyone else using he beta using it differently because of these new features?

Gob-ler
08-25-2011, 04:33 PM
Dave, good post!

One of the things I am doing differently now relates to how I log my finds. I was using the GSAK macro but now just use the interface to GC.Com that GSAK provides. I like being able to write the logs in one sitting and then upload them all with one stroke of the keyboard. Very nice!

Also like you mention the abilities we have now with our Pocket Query's is nicely enhanced. The updating that is now allowed is a great feature and I find myself doing more now than ever before. I have the nearest 5000 caches in my data base which encompasses three states in a 60 mile radius.

So, count me as one who really likes where GSAK is taking us.

brdad
08-26-2011, 07:08 PM
I haven't even attempted the logging feature, I'll have to give it a whirl. I made a macro that opens the cache log pages of our new finds in the Oregon, but I'm guessing logging via the API might bypass gc.com slowdown issues...

Haffy
08-27-2011, 11:00 AM
Dave, good post!

One of the things I am doing differently now relates to how I log my finds. I was using the GSAK macro but now just use the interface to GC.Com that GSAK provides. I like being able to write the logs in one sitting and then upload them all with one stroke of the keyboard. Very nice!

Also like you mention the abilities we have now with our Pocket Query's is nicely enhanced. The updating that is now allowed is a great feature and I find myself doing more now than ever before. I have the nearest 5000 caches in my data base which encompasses three states in a 60 mile radius.

So, count me as one who really likes where GSAK is taking us.

You actually have 5,000 caches left in only a 60 mile radius? I'm disappointed in you Dick.....LOL You must be slipping in your old age. ;)

Gob-ler
08-27-2011, 03:20 PM
I don't know about slipping, but slowing down a bit? Definitely and too, the work schedule is a bit more demanding here!

brdad
09-19-2011, 03:44 PM
I used the logging feature yesterday for the second time and for 14 caches (the first time was only two). This is a MUCH easier way to log caches IMO. Next time, I will step it up and try creating a template.

Haffy
09-23-2011, 12:20 PM
Going to have to learn how to create PQ's all over again too. I did a PQ for 2000 caches in a radius but it included all the archived caches as well. Would really like to be able to do a placed by date PQ through the new GSAK format and also be able to do the 6000 cache PQ over the time interim. Going to be a whole new learning process I think. When you figure this out please inform the rest of us as I would still like to get all my unfound caches here in Georgia in fewer PQ's than the 12 or 13 it will take now over the 2 or 3 days.

09-24-2011, 03:26 PM
I did a PQ for 2000 caches in a radius but it included all the archived caches as well.

I just reset all my Maine PQ's for getting the whole state. Did I miss something and now we can run PQ's larger than 1k?

Ekidokai
09-24-2011, 09:14 PM
I just reset all my Maine PQ's for getting the whole state. Did I miss something and now we can run PQ's larger than 1k?

I am not sure but I think he meant using GSAK since a PQ will not give you archived caches.

brdad
09-25-2011, 04:18 PM
There was a glitch in the gc.com API which was allowing archived caches when getting caches through the API (NOT through regular PQs). The 2000 cache limit when getting caches through the API is per hour and may or may not be enacted as of yet. The 6000 cache API limit is per day.

AFAIK, PQs are still limited to 1000 per PQ & 5 per day.

Haffy, when I have been doing is getting my PQs in the normal manner for the entire state. If I am going somewhere that has not been updated, I can use the API to update the caches in the area I am going to - or if I am going somewhere outside of Maine, I might use the API to get a load of caches in an area I will be going to. I would not recommend using the API access to update your database on a regular basis, PQs will do that. Loading your PQs though GSAK Does Not count toward your 6000 cache API access limit.

brdad
09-30-2011, 09:00 PM
GSAk 8 is still in beta but you can now find out what your upgrade fee will be and make your payment now if you'd like. For details, check this thread (mainly the latest post made at the time of this post).

http://gsak.net/board/index.php?showtopic=19776