View Full Version : Basic Construction

masterson of the universe
10-30-2011, 04:55 PM
I had the flu a couple weeks ago and took two days off. Because I was up to date on all my other shows on Netflix I ended up diving in to Survivor Man, Dual Survivors, and some Man vs. Wild episodes I hadn't watched. While I know a lot of it is staged, I figured it would be fun to go out and make some sort of survival shelter type structure using what is out there just to see how long it would last. While its a bit too chilly at this point to do it along were I usually kayak (and the beavers would tear it apart to get materials for their own dam), I was thinking I'd do it in one of the city's woodsy parks (Brown Woods, Prentice Woods, etc). I've looked around a bit but couldn't find anything that says its not allowed. If you are just using downed trees and what you find on the ground, anyone think this would cause problems?

cano
10-30-2011, 06:25 PM
I would like to join when you figure it out :)
Have you seen dual survivor in Maine?

JustKev
10-30-2011, 06:56 PM
I would contact the city or town you're talking about if it's in one of the parks within the city limits. Otherwise you might find yourself being visited with less than enthusiastic support being shown by your visitors.

brdad
10-30-2011, 07:47 PM
I say next year we send Corey off to Halfmile with a machete, 20 feet of parachute cord, an empty tin can, and a broken cell phone. We'll come up to rescue him the next morning and if he has a shelter built and breakfast cooking he can log the find....

10-30-2011, 09:41 PM
I'm not talking like some massive log cabin and not something directly trailside either. Just some little lean to type structure or an impromptu teepee or something. Maybe even out in the Bangor City Forest somewhere instead of one of the smaller parks...I don't think it would be a problem. I just think it would be fun for someone to come across out in the middle of the woods and it would be fun to practice building something like it.

Cano, I haven't seen the Dual Survivor episode from Maine as they only have like the first 10 episodes on Netflix so far. Cody drives me nuts not wearing shoes. The idea that you would survive better not wearing shoes out in the wilderness than you would wearing shoes is just crazy. I do think its funny that they show Dave banging the animals on the head or bashing them on a tree when he catches them. PETA must love that show.

brdad
10-31-2011, 06:35 AM
We've come across a few of these structures while caching or just out in the woods. The more urban ones are more likely made by homeless people. I think it'd be pretty tough in many locations using all dead material and that you would end up cutting some smaller stuff. Which means you'd likely need permission in the city woods. One built in Maine would likely be roofed with boughs from coniferous trees, and there are fines for cutting those off for wreaths. I'm sure a place could be found where you could build one with permission.

We've watched all or nearly all of those shows - I was not so impressed with the Maine episode of Dual Survival but they can't all be good.

firefighterjake
10-31-2011, 05:54 PM
I'm thinkjng if you head over by the airport in the woods right off Hammond Street there will be several folks who will show you their shelters. ;) :)

11-01-2011, 07:17 PM
Yeah Dave, I wouldn't be really looking to roof it with fresh cut anything. I was thinking more of a box style or log cabin type with just whatever I can find already on the ground. I don't want to do any cutting of anything to keep it looking rough. If I have to walk from one end of the park to the other dragging materials around, I'll do it. I just think it would be cool to have something out there for people to come across randomly.

FFJ, I've seen a few in that area as well as in the woods behind the tower on the Main Ave side of the airport. Lots of little structures. I've got not desire to include tarps, boxes or shopping carts in the construction.

Ekidokai
11-01-2011, 09:21 PM
For crying out loud, just do it. We can put together bail money in a few days in the worse case.

Hiram357
11-06-2011, 04:02 PM
I had the flu a couple weeks ago and took two days off. Because I was up to date on all my other shows on Netflix I ended up diving in to Survivor Man, Dual Survivors, and some Man vs. Wild episodes I hadn't watched. While I know a lot of it is staged, I figured it would be fun to go out and make some sort of survival shelter type structure using what is out there just to see how long it would last. While its a bit too chilly at this point to do it along were I usually kayak (and the beavers would tear it apart to get materials for their own dam), I was thinking I'd do it in one of the city's woodsy parks (Brown Woods, Prentice Woods, etc). I've looked around a bit but couldn't find anything that says its not allowed. If you are just using downed trees and what you find on the ground, anyone think this would cause problems? You're allowed to build a structure as long as it's not permanent. If you want to look into it in the laws and stuff it would be called a trapper shack, you can pile up as much stuff as ya want as long as it can be removed, and it's not on posted land. :)

Haffy
11-07-2011, 06:29 PM
You're allowed to build a structure as long as it's not permanent. If you want to look into it in the laws and stuff it would be called a trapper shack, you can pile up as much stuff as ya want as long as it can be removed, and it's not on posted land. :)

I just knew you would have an answer Aaron.

cano
11-23-2011, 08:53 PM
Why don't you build an igloo instead :)

Ekidokai
11-24-2011, 12:17 AM
Apparently now all you need to do is make up some off the wall reason not to follow the laws and call it civil disobedience and you can get away with putting anything up anywhere.

P.S. You also need to be a looser, so you might not be able to get away with it if they check, but it's worth a try.

brdad
11-24-2011, 08:24 AM
We'll just call it Occupy City Forest!

Haffy
11-26-2011, 06:55 PM
I would like to join when you figure it out :)
Have you seen dual survivor in Maine?

Saws the Dual Survivor episode just the other night and they said they were in the north Maine woods but near the end of the episode they walked out to an opening and there was the ocean and a freighter going by. Hmmm I thought I was seeing things but is the ocean any where near the north Maine woods?

JustKev
11-26-2011, 09:14 PM
Saws the Dual Survivor episode just the other night and they said they were in the north Maine woods but near the end of the episode they walked out to an opening and there was the ocean and a freighter going by. Hmmm I thought I was seeing things but is the ocean any where near the north Maine woods?

Anything is possible on TV.

brdad
11-26-2011, 09:28 PM
That puzzled me as well. My only thought is that they have to have been over in Washington County somewhere. Not Northern Maine to anyone that knows Maine, but to many anything North of Lewiston is Northern Maine.

JustKev
11-27-2011, 06:18 AM
That puzzled me as well. My only thought is that they have to have been over in Washington County somewhere. Not Northern Maine to anyone that knows Maine, but to many anything North of Lewiston is Northern Maine.

But, even in Washington County, they would have encountered a paved road well before seeing the ocean in most of the county, if not all of the county. I'm not familiar enough with the area east of the Machias area.

TeamHorwich
11-27-2011, 08:23 AM
The Friday night television show, which focuses on how well two survival experts manage in challenging situations, was shot early this spring at Cutler Coast Public Reserved Land Unit and Quoddy Head State Park, both properties managed by the Maine Bureau of Parks and Lands, under the Maine Department of Conservation.

check out the full story...
Valley Voice (http://thevalleyvoice.org/2011/06/30/discovery-channels-dual-survival-to-feature-maine-public-reserved-land-state-park-as-backdrop-tomorrow-at-9pm/34197/)

brdad
11-27-2011, 08:59 AM
Cutler makes sense. Thanks for that article. Still not Northern Maine IMO!

JustKev
11-27-2011, 07:16 PM
Cutler can't be considered northern Maine. It's coastal Maine. If they had to struggle to find the coast from Cutler, they're bozos.