View Full Version : Wireless Hotspots in Maine

WhereRWe?
07-16-2005, 05:15 PM
At the event today, BRDAD and I were discussing wireless hotspots. Since more and more people are carrying laptops on their caching trips, it would be of great value to have a VIABLE listing of wireless hotspots in Maine.

A Google search will provide MANY lists of free wireless hotspots, but each list seems different. It would be ideal if we could maintain a list on this site, hopefully downloadable in .gpx format, that we could download to our laptops.

Any computer programmers out there who know howthis could be done? Anyone have any experience with a similar list on other state.regional geocaching websites?

Thanks for any input.

:D :D :D

TwoMaineiacs
07-16-2005, 09:25 PM
Two "hotspots" for wireless from your car. Signal is strong enough you don't even have to go inside. Nice having the world at your fingertips but scary to know if your firewall isn't good enough, somebody can make that a two way trip.

Outside Bookland book store at Cook's Corner, Route 24 in Brunswick.
N43 54.366 W69 55.056 approximately.

Outside the Freeport Community Library on Library Drive off of Route 1 near Harrassekette Inn. N43 51.7884 W70 6.131 approximately.

TwoMaineiacs / Anne

Cache'n Jacksons
07-16-2005, 09:25 PM
WiGLE (http://www.wigle.net/) is a pretty good resource for where hotspots are, although since they are created by wardrivers, they tend to only cover areas with higher populations. They have a browsable map (http://www.wigle.net/gps/gps/Map/onlinemap/) on the site. It's really not too hard to find them, especially in Maine: any Jr. High school will have wireless access for the laptops that all the kids get, and most elementary and high schools have it, too. In neighborhoods with cable and DSL available, a good number of people will have wireless routers. Motels and coffee shops are good bets as well. I can actually be in bed with my laptop and choose to leech off my neighbor's wireless router, even though his house is about 600' away. :)

blevesque
07-16-2005, 10:14 PM
My house :p ...and the Caribou Public Library (http://www.caribou-public.lib.me.us/) is a free hotspot...I should know, I'm the Tech Coordinator there :cool: So those of you coming up for the BBQ in Sept here in Aroostook, bring your gear!

Cache Maine
07-17-2005, 08:18 AM
I'm secretly into this as well...and have thought about purchasing the radio shack wireless finder gadget. But this will be great to have "tried and true spots", especially if we can list it by coord, have it as a .loc or .gpx and plop it on our pda maps. :D

How fun!

The G Team
07-17-2005, 11:02 AM
people have been prosecuted for accessing other's wireless access points (just because it is not secured does not mean it is "public"). Also, as has been mentioned, if you can see *their* network, they can probably see *yours*. Also, when you log into a wireless network, you computer's MAC address (unique number coded into your NIC) is logged into the wireless router.

That being said, check out

http://www.netstumbler.com/

This free software runs on your laptop and shows you all access points available--you can also hook up your GPS to log the coordinates. It tells you if encryption is on or not (WEP) as well as signal strength. There is also a version for wireless enabled PDAs.

Most schools are using WEP and/or proxy servers so that you will not be able to connect.

A drive down any street in town with netstumbler running will be an eye-opener to those who have wireless routers in their own homes.

brdad
07-17-2005, 08:56 PM
I'm glad Bruce posted as I have been thinking about this. I would rather see a more legal list with a few dependable spots like libraries than anything. Having a waypoint available to these locations would makes things much easier.

I've done about 5 minutes of research so far and am pretty sure there would be copyright issues with a full fledged geocaching.com compatible GPX file, but an EasyGPS GPX file would be ok. What difference would that make? Well, it would be missing the fields for diff/terrain, long descriptions, logs, and a few other items - all of which I don't think matter. It may inhibit compatibility with some geocaching software (Watcher is one), but the file should (but I haven't proved it) be compatible with Cachemate.

It'd be great to have at least one legal location in each town, and more in the big cities if possible.

I'll toy with it in the next few days and see what I can see. In the meantime, if you know of an acess point that is legal and you have the coordinates, post them here and we'll have some actual spots to start the database with.

Cache Maine
07-17-2005, 09:46 PM
Winter Harbor, small cafe in town, can't remember the name but right across from the 5 & 10 has free net access. The coords are N 44 23.470 W 068 05.278.

Haffy
07-17-2005, 10:32 PM
You don't suppose it could be the library too since it is right next door?

WhereRWe?
07-18-2005, 08:05 AM
It'd be great to have at least one legal location in each town, and more in the big cities if possible.

I'll toy with it in the next few days and see what I can see. In the meantime, if you know of an acess point that is legal and you have the coordinates, post them here and we'll have some actual spots to start the database with.

Lets make sure that any posting has GOOD information, such as location (library, school, etc), town, and COORDINATES. Just saying that there is a WiFi hotspot at the Town Ofice in Solon won't be good enough.

Thanks! This will be a great project. :D :D

(The 60+ public libraries in Maine that have free, public WiFi access are listed here:}

http://www.maine.gov/msl/infotech/wireless/wireless_libs.htm

brdad
07-18-2005, 01:58 PM
That's a good list of libraries - What bad web design, though, when you are trying to promote a library, and many of them give no adresses, or they are buried 3 pages deep. :(

I'm not impressed with the little information an Easy-GPS created GPX file can create, so I am looking into other options.

TwoMaineiacs
07-18-2005, 02:15 PM
We picked up a small HP notebook for the car to use while geocaching. It has no personal info on it but does of course have up to date Norton with firewall on it. Today while out at Giant Stair Cache on Bailey Island, up pops a usable wireless network!!! Obviously someone in a house nearby had a wireless network set up. Didn't use it but could have since it wasn't protected. Is it actually illegal to use such a site or just not polite? Does it being open mean the person did not have a firewall? How do you know when someone tries to access your wireless network? Got to figure out how to temporarily disable the new notebook from logging onto wireless while out driving around. Help is not very helpful.

Great info on the library locations. I do use the public computers and wireless at Freeport Public Library often.

Anne

Haffy
07-18-2005, 02:25 PM
Hey Brdad, I'm sure GSAK could create a really good GPX file for those wireless hotspots.

brdad
07-18-2005, 02:50 PM
Hey Brdad, I'm sure GSAK could create a really good GPX file for those wireless hotspots.

:eek: :eek: Ohhhh, don't make me attempt to use GSAK again! OW, my head! :eek: :eek:

As I stated earlier, I'd have to check again with the TOS of GPX files. I don't beleive it's legal to use a GPX files with the groundspeak extensions for anything but caches.

But, I will add it to my list of stuff to look into.

WhereRWe?
07-18-2005, 03:22 PM
Is it actually illegal to use such a site or just not polite? Does it being open mean the person did not have a firewall? How do you know when someone tries to access your wireless network? Got to figure out how to temporarily disable the new notebook from logging onto wireless while out driving around. Help is not very helpful.

Anne

Well, the answer is yes. And no. Maybe.

Here's a good discussion on the subject fron C/Net:

http://news.com.com/FAQ+Wi-Fi+mooching+and+the+law/2100-7351_3-5778822.html?tag=nl.caro

Have I pulld over to the side of the road and used unprotected WiFi hotspots? Yup.

Will I do so again? Yup.

(Oh - and if you're concerned about driving down the road and unintentionally connecting to someone's WiFi network, set your network so that you DO NOT automatically connect. Windows XP can do this - not sure about older/other operating systems.)

Oh - and you can consider being your OWN WiFi hotspot:

http://www.popsci.com/popsci/how2/article/0,20967,1076525,00.html

:D :D

Haffy
07-18-2005, 03:47 PM
:eek: :eek: Ohhhh, don't make me attempt to use GSAK again! OW, my head! :eek: :eek:

As I stated earlier, I'd have to check again with the TOS of GPX files. I don't beleive it's legal to use a GPX files with the groundspeak extensions for anything but caches.

But, I will add it to my list of stuff to look into.

Yeah I think they call that scraping according to Groundspeak and yes it is illegal.

TwoMaineiacs
07-18-2005, 07:19 PM
I shudder to think of owning my own WI-FI site. :confused: Been struggling for two days with a desktop that continues to crash. I'm just about ready to reformat the @#$@! thing. Don't need to clean up after others :p

Anne

brdad
07-18-2005, 09:04 PM
OK, it seems I might be able to create GPX files with the grounspeak extension, but if I do, the data in them will fall under the groundspeak TOS. We have enough problems with legalities with the geocoin, so I want to steer clear of that. Going back to the EasyGPS created GPX file, it will be very basic. A one location exaple is here (http://www.bytethebullet.com/geocaching/geo_wifi/geo-wifi.gpx). From what I can see the name will include the town first, then the name of the location, and the address on a second line. The town needs to be first to make it easy to find in a list (One would assume you know what town you are in or near). The Type I have changed to WIFI Hot Spot, and the icon a building, so that they can be easily differentiated from geocaches. Of course, coordinate data is included as well. Maybe someone with GSAK can see if the file loads there ok. It works ok in cachemate, the address will not show unless you are in overview mode.

So, the question is, is this enough data? Anyone have any other ideas?

Cache'n Jacksons
07-18-2005, 10:19 PM
I tested it and the file loads fine into GSAK, and from there exports nicely into USAPhotoMaps and CacheMate. You should also be able to quickly filter all the WIFI spots in GSAK using the Code Search field. The only thing I didn't try was sending the waypoint to my GPS. I did notice that when I exported the GPX file out of GSAK and opened it in EasyGPS, the icon changed to geocache (not suprisingly). This could easily be fixed in EasyGPS. I think for those people that will use it, this should work rather nicely.

It's too bad there wasn't a national database of public WIFI spots (or is there one?)... I could see a link on each cache page for "nearby hotspots".

brdad
07-19-2005, 06:14 AM
It's too bad there wasn't a national database of public WIFI spots (or is there one?)... I could see a link on each cache page for "nearby hotspots".

That's what started this in the first place, there are no complete lists - and probably never will be. With technology changing the way it does, I'm sure hot spots come and go faster than it could be updated. Hopefully this list will have more dependable locations like the libraries and buisnesses. I'd rather have a database with one or two dependable connections in a given town than thirty "might work" locations. We do have caches to get after all, can't spend all day looking for internet locations.

Oooh, maybe that's a new cache type - WIFI virtual. Drive to the coords, confirm the WIFI connection, log it as a find. I think I may have a winner for the lamest cache category!

brdad
07-19-2005, 06:52 AM
It would be great if any interested parties could get an accurate waypoint of their local library or other hot spot along with the address and post them here. Even better if you could verify there is a connection there. I can get approximate coordinates with mapping software, but would rather have an actual reading. I will verify the Bangor one today. I don't really want to enter questionable data into the file.

WhereRWe?
07-19-2005, 07:05 AM
I tested it and the file loads fine into GSAK, and from there exports nicely into USAPhotoMaps and CacheMate. You should also be able to quickly filter all the WIFI spots in GSAK using the Code Search field.

I agree with Jacksons.

Works well in GSAK, and I was able to filter the hotspots using "unknown container".

It exports well to Delorme maps as well.

Now, the wquestion is, who is going to maintain the data base? LOL!

brdad
07-19-2005, 11:26 AM
Now, the wquestion is, who is going to maintain the data base? LOL!

I am happy to work on the initial file and get it going. Hopefully, Rick can set up an area on the site where a select three or four of us willing could upload an updated file from time to time. If Rick can't, I might be able to set something similar to it on my site and link to it from here. Rick?

WhereRWe?
07-19-2005, 12:35 PM
I am happy to work on the initial file and get it going. Hopefully, Rick can set up an area on the site where a select three or four of us willing could upload an updated file from time to time. If Rick can't, I might be able to set something similar to it on my site and link to it from here. Rick?

As an avid WiFi user, I'm certainly willing to help.

Let me know what I can do. :D

Sabby
07-19-2005, 12:55 PM
I don't have a laptop but have you looked at GOOGLE, LOCAL and searched for WIFI HOTSPOT in the CITY and STATE you are interested in. It seems to provide a list of those places that offer free wifi.

WhereRWe?
07-19-2005, 01:15 PM
I don't have a laptop but have you looked at GOOGLE, LOCAL and searched for WIFI HOTSPOT in the CITY and STATE you are interested in. It seems to provide a list of those places that offer free wifi.

Yes, but all lists are very spotty and incomplete. For example, a search on "Solon, Maine" lists 4 hotspots - the closest in Waterville, 30 miles away. I KNOW that there are 2 public hotspots in Solon as I set them up.

And if you're in Bangor, Maine and need to find a WiFi hotspot, Google doesn't do you a bit of good until you find a hotspot! LOL!

:D :D

Sabby
07-19-2005, 01:58 PM
Yeah. I guess I didn't think about that.:o

That is what happens when you aren't really techno up to date.;)

brdad
07-19-2005, 06:21 PM
As an avid WiFi user, I'm certainly willing to help.

Let me know what I can do. :D

Sounds good. Let's just see if we can find a home for the file or files first.

brdad
07-19-2005, 06:38 PM
OK, I have populated the GEO-WIFI file (http://www.bytethebullet.com/geocaching/geo_wifi/geo-wifi.gpx) with the Libraries listed on Bruce's Link (http://www.maine.gov/msl/infotech/wireless/wireless_libs.htm) that I managed to find adresses for and managed to get approximate coordinates for.

There were 21 on that list that either did not have web pages, or did not state their street address on the page (or I was just too blind to see them). I may add them to the file anyway (Or a seperate file), And give North Pole coordinates to them for the time being since if they are on the list of WIFI hot Spots, we could at least ask someone in town where that durn library is!

If anyone knows the address of any of the following libraries, or wants to email them or find the info by other means, it would be great. Links to most of them are on Bruce's Link (http://www.maine.gov/msl/infotech/wireless/wireless_libs.htm)

Alfred-Parsons Memorial Library
Auburn Public Library
Bass Harbor Memorial Library
Belgrade Public Library
Casco Public Library
Castine - Witherle Memorial Library
Cranberry Isles - Great Cranberry Library
Greenville-Shaw Public Library
Hallowell - Hubbard Free Library
Harrison-Caswell Public Library
Lewiston Public Library
Liberty-Ivan O. Davis Library
Long Island Community Library
Mt Desert - Northeast Harbor Library
Naples Public Library
Orono Public Library
Princeton Public Library
Union-Vose Library
Van Buren - Abel Morneault Memorial Library
Wilton Public Library
Winthrop - Bailey Public Library

Haffy
07-19-2005, 06:58 PM
Belgrade Public Library Rt 27 Belgrade Me. Located in the Belgrade Community Center

Haffy
07-19-2005, 07:12 PM
Greenville-Shaw Public Library Main St. Greenville 04441

Haffy
07-19-2005, 07:18 PM
Hallowell- Hubbard Free Library 115 Second St. Hallowell

Haffy
07-19-2005, 07:23 PM
Charles M Bailey Public Library 39 Bowdoin St Winthrop Me.

Haffy
07-19-2005, 07:25 PM
Wilton Free Public Library. PO Box 454 - 6 Goodspeed Street Wilton, ME 04294.

Haffy
07-19-2005, 07:34 PM
Auburn Public Library is currently housed at the Auburn Mail as the new Library is under construction and is expected to be open sometime in 2006

Haffy
07-19-2005, 07:43 PM
Liberty Library
Main Street
P.O. Box 280
Liberty, ME 04949

Haffy
07-19-2005, 07:57 PM
PRINCETON PUBLIC LIBRARY
Main Street, Princeton, ME 04668

Haffy
07-19-2005, 08:09 PM
Lewiston Public Library 200 Lisbon Street
Lewiston, ME 04240

Haffy
07-19-2005, 08:12 PM
Harrison - Caswell Public Library Main Street, Harrison, ME 04040

Haffy
07-19-2005, 08:15 PM
Union Maine Vose Library

343 COMMON ROAD

Trezurs*-R-*Fun
07-19-2005, 09:12 PM
Union Maine Vose Library

P. O. Box 550, Union, Maine 04862
OK Haffy, now you need to get a Laptop and put this knowledge to good use. LOL :D

Haffy
07-19-2005, 09:31 PM
Ok I found the correct address......lol and posted it.

covefarm
07-19-2005, 09:37 PM
Northeast harbor library

PO Box 279

Mount Desert, Maine 04662

276-3333

Bass Harbor Library

Maine St.

Bass Harbor, 04653

WIFI Hot Spots in Maine Public Libraries are all listed with contact info. I did a Google.
Barbara

brdad
07-20-2005, 06:06 AM
Belgrade Public Library Rt 27 Belgrade Me. Located in the Belgrade Community Center

Greenville-Shaw Public Library Main St. Greenville 04441

Liberty Library
Main Street
P.O. Box 280
Liberty, ME 04949

PRINCETON PUBLIC LIBRARY
Main Street, Princeton, ME 04668

Harrison - Caswell Public Library Main Street, Harrison, ME 04040

Slow down, Haffy! We need a street number to get approximate coords!

Wilton Free Public Library. PO Box 454 - 6 Goodspeed Street Wilton, ME 04294

I am aware of this address, but the street cannot be found by any of the address to coordinate conversion software I used.

Thanks for the other addresses, though - And No, P.O. box doesn't do much good. :p

Haffy
07-20-2005, 06:14 AM
Yeah,Yeah I know,I'm sorry I got carried away, I wasn't thinking. That's all I could find for the Main st addresses for some of those. I guess in some of those towns if you go down Main St you can find everthing you need too....lol :)

WhereRWe?
07-20-2005, 06:15 AM
Wow! Looks like this project is getting started with a BANG!

Good work! :D

brdad
07-20-2005, 06:41 AM
I sent a PM to Rick, he said he should be able to help us out with a place to upload the file(s) to.

Slate
07-20-2005, 08:26 AM
Casco Public Library:

7 Leach Hill Road Casco
N 44 00.218
W 70 31.333

Slate
07-20-2005, 08:37 AM
Here is a list of Maine libraries that may help fill in the gaps:

http://www.stuttersfa.org/Default.aspx?tabid=365

Cache'n Jacksons
07-20-2005, 10:14 AM
This looks like a good list! I would suggest that the final waypoints be placed into individual GPX files for each county. This would let the user choose the counties they are most likely to be in and not load up their GPS with excessive "non-cache" waypoints. :) For the power users that have a bazillion waypoints available, there could be a "whole state" GPX available as well.

Sabby
07-20-2005, 11:03 AM
I suggest that a field be entered so that the STATE would show up in GSAK. I know this doesn't sound like much but I think it would be helpful to those living near the NH border and to those of us from other states. That way a GSAK search for Maine goecaches would also bring up the hotspots. A local search(ie 25 miles around Waterville ) would automatically include only those hotspots within the search area.

You have done a great job so far. Keep up the good work.

brdad
07-20-2005, 11:13 AM
This looks like a good list! I would suggest that the final waypoints be placed into individual GPX files for each county. This would let the user choose the counties they are most likely to be in and not load up their GPS with excessive "non-cache" waypoints. :) For the power users that have a bazillion waypoints available, there could be a "whole state" GPX available as well.

That is an idea, but I wonder how many of us are going to load these into our GPSrs? It is hard telling how people would use it, but I myself think I will be viewing the file on my laptop, probably with EasyGPS, where I can view and sort the list by my current location and either upload or hand enter an individual point.

There is also the possibility of needing several counties anyway, if you are caching near a corner of one. I think we can start with this one file, and if demand requires, we can split it up.

brdad
07-20-2005, 11:19 AM
I suggest that a field be entered so that the STATE would show up in GSAK. I know this doesn't sound like much but I think it would be helpful to those living near the NH border and to those of us from other states. That way a GSAK search for Maine goecaches would also bring up the hotspots. A local search(ie 25 miles around Waterville ) would automatically include only those hotspots within the search area.

You have done a great job so far. Keep up the good work.

Hmm, my original intent was to just do Maine. I can see where some cachers are on the border enough to warrant it. I wonder if there is a NH geocaching group we could convince to do something similar? if we start at NH, what's next, Mass?

There is no other field in an EasyGPS created file viewable in programs like GSAK. But, we could add it to the description field (I am not sure what the character limit is), or we could use different naming conventions for the waypoit. Right now I am just prefixing them with a "W", so it's easy to tell what it is, but we could use WME or something of that sort if need be.

attroll
07-20-2005, 01:35 PM
Just because it is a public library does not mean it has wireless access. You can not just add the library to the list until someone has actually verified that they can connect to it wireless. Otherwise the credability of the list will not be worth a damn.

Sabby
07-20-2005, 02:18 PM
OK. I guess that I missed the part about it being done in EasyGPS. I think what you are doing is great and I now realize that if I load them with my caches in GSAK they will come up withe the caches that I intend to load becayse they will be within the search area anyway.

Cache'n Jacksons
07-20-2005, 04:37 PM
There is also the possibility of needing several counties anyway, if you are caching near a corner of one. I think we can start with this one file, and if demand requires, we can split it up.
Good point... I expect some people will put these waypoints into GSAK and filter them along with all the other caches before their trips. That way the hotspots are in close proximity to the caches.

WhereRWe?
07-20-2005, 05:06 PM
I would keep it as one file. If we add another state, then add another file. We're not talking about hundreds of WiFi hotspots, like caches. And a one file would be a lot easier to manage, too. :D :D

dí76
07-28-2005, 05:34 PM
I just thought before we went really crazy with this Wi-Fi data base you would like to see this

http://www.wardriving.com/
:(

WhereRWe?
07-28-2005, 08:54 PM
I just thought before we went really crazy with this Wi-Fi data base you would like to see this

http://www.wardriving.com/
:(

Keep in mind that the WiFi database we're preparing is for FREE, PUBLIC hotspots. It will not include private, unsecure wireless networks.

But having said that, if you're going to do any wardriving, you should try the NetStumbler program. It's great. Lets you know when to pull over! LOL!

:eek: :eek: :eek:

brdad
07-29-2005, 05:33 AM
We're also hoping for reliable spots. We'd rather see a few spots within a given area that have a 98% chance of existing over a year than 20 spots that might exist for 2 weeks.

Speaking of which, gotta get back to this project, things have been a little busy this week....

robt
08-01-2005, 09:21 PM
Hi,

I also use hotspots while traveling or caching so please let me know when the list is up or if you need some of them checked, I would be more than happy to check some out.

Also I know of a few other ones that I can confirm.

Eggspectation in South Portland - Is advertised and have used.
Pannerra Bread in South Portland - Is advertised, will need to check

There is one in the Maine Mall food court but I am not sure where.

I will check to see if I can find anymore that Road Runner may have or any others that I can think of. Let me know if you want me to check any

Robt

WhereRWe?
08-05-2005, 07:02 PM
I will check to see if I can find anymore that Road Runner may have or any others that I can think of. Let me know if you want me to check any

Robt

Keep in mind that any WiFi hotspots we list must be FREE and PUBLIC. As RoadRunner is a commercial ISP, do they offer FREE PUBLIC WiFi hotspots

(Well, we CAN list the pay-per-use hotspots. Like those McDonalds locations that have WiFI - you have to pay and be registered to use them...)

robt
08-06-2005, 07:57 AM
Keep in mind that any WiFi hotspots we list must be FREE and PUBLIC. As RoadRunner is a commercial ISP, do they offer FREE PUBLIC WiFi hotspots

(Well, we CAN list the pay-per-use hotspots. Like those McDonalds locations that have WiFI - you have to pay and be registered to use them...)
A company placed some open RoadRunner hotspots in about 5 locations around portland for RoadRunner, but I can not find out where they all where or if any of them are still in operation. Theese Hotspots are / were Free and open from what I have been told. Other than that I can get very little and very sketchy info on this subject.

DiverDave1998
04-20-2006, 01:52 PM
super shoe is good spot in skowhegan
and the high school

Hiker Twins
04-20-2006, 06:33 PM
Does anyone know if there are any "hotspots" in or near Topsfield?

Hiram357
04-20-2006, 09:40 PM
Does anyone know if there are any "hotspots" in or near Topsfield? Do they have internet near topsfield?? I thought they just got their first powerlines last week... :rolleyes::rolleyes:

WhereRWe?
04-21-2006, 07:53 AM
Does anyone know if there are any "hotspots" in or near Topsfield?

No "free, public" ones that I know of.

DiverDave1998
04-21-2006, 10:08 AM
is someone making a list u can add the town office in norridgewock

the ones i list are the ones u can sit in the car and use and that i have connected with

Hiker Twins
04-23-2006, 11:09 PM
Do they have internet near topsfield?? I thought they just got their first powerlines last week... :rolleyes::rolleyes:

I don't know about internet, but I am getting a phone line in two weeks! :)
My husband said no phone or computer at camp so I was hoping I could find a "hot spot" to sneak to when he was out fishing, but after some heavy duty persuasion, he relented and said I could get a phone line put in! I wasn't about to go to camp for two months without a computer! Talk about withdrawals....

Hiram357
04-23-2006, 11:11 PM
I don't know about internet, but I am getting a phone line in two weeks! :)
My husband said no phone or computer at camp so I was hoping I could find a "hot spot" to sneak to when he was out fishing, but after some heavy duty persuasion, he relented and said I could get a phone line put in! I wasn't about to go to camp for two months without a computer! Talk about withdrawals....

i would say you could use smoke signals, but they're not givin out permits yet... too dry.. :(

firefighterjake
04-24-2006, 08:52 AM
i would say you could use smoke signals, but they're not givin out permits yet... too dry.. :(

Really? I had a couple burns going this weekend. Burn #2 was spectactular. Sounded like a jet engine taking off with flames shooting about 18-22 feet in the air . . . I noticed my wife kept backing up as the fire kept growing. She claims it was due to the heat, but I personally suspect she was just edging closer and closer to the phone in the house.

Man, oh man . . . I wish there was a career for folks who can start fires and get them going in good shape . . . I think I would be a shoe-in for a job like that.

Hiram357
04-24-2006, 05:11 PM
Really? I had a couple burns going this weekend. Burn #2 was spectactular. Sounded like a jet engine taking off with flames shooting about 18-22 feet in the air . . . I noticed my wife kept backing up as the fire kept growing. She claims it was due to the heat, but I personally suspect she was just edging closer and closer to the phone in the house.

Man, oh man . . . I wish there was a career for folks who can start fires and get them going in good shape . . . I think I would be a shoe-in for a job like that.

yeah, round fayette and readfeild, there was a fire down at my bosses place, they said it was started from the forklift hittin some rocks.... :confused::confused::confused:

and i think you would have some pretty serious competition in a job market like that.... :D