View Full Version : Neuro deficiat GSAK question

dufzor
12-21-2011, 01:53 PM
The caches that are archived do not seem to be updating correctly on my GSAK. Is there a way using geocaching.com to pull up a list of archived caches in the state of Me and update my list. Caching is fun but seaching at 11 PM in the woods on a 3 degree night for a cache that was already archived was NOT. TY.

brdad
12-21-2011, 02:06 PM
You cannot get archived caches in any PQ with the exception of your "My finds" PQ, and that won't help you much on unfound caches.

But there are ways to do what you need to do.

If you are using the newest version of GSAK, you can use the API access to refresh the caches. This works great but has one limitation - you can only get data for 6000 caches per day. So you would have to filter your database and refresh in two days (For example, filter for micro and small one day and refresh those, then search for everything but mico and small the next and refresh those the next. A variation of this you can do just before you head out. Just filter for caches in the area you will be searching - if you're going to Hampden Filter for caches in a 25 mile radius of Hampden and just refresh those caches. You will find the refresh cache data option under the Geocaching.com Access menu.

Another method that works with both versions 7 and 8 of GSAK is to update your entire database and then set the Lst GPX Date filter for the day before the first set of PQs. For example, if you received your latest PQs on December 18th and 19th, Set your filter to only show caches that were updated on or before December 17th. Any caches in that filter are most likely archived since they did not come in the PQs.

And yet another foolproof method, if you don't care about having any archived caches in your database is to delete all caches from the database and then load it with new PQs.

dufzor
12-21-2011, 02:25 PM
Thanks Dave. I opt for option 2! :)

Ekidokai
12-21-2011, 02:44 PM
I do the last option. If there are any caches that I have notes on or solved and want to keep I put into another data base called solved and then I don't loose anything when I wipe out the default once a month.