View Full Version : Registration is open for Maine residents!

geoaware
01-24-2012, 11:30 AM
Dear all

I am very pleased to announce that registration is now open early (20+ days) for all Maine residents! This is a thank you for your support in having this major event taking place in the state.

You can only register by clicking on this LINK (http://tinyurl.com/7uedwqq). (There is no link on the IEE website page).

The first 500 people who register and chose a registration level that includes a geocoin will receive the limited edition Commemorative Coin.

In a few weeks time we will be calling for volunteers from those people who have registered.

Kind regards - and we hope to see you all at the Event on 2 September!

Gary
geoaware

cano
01-24-2012, 02:15 PM
What is registration for? Can I still attend the event and sign the log book without registration? What kind of activities will be there?

Team2hunt
01-24-2012, 06:47 PM
What is registration for? Can I still attend the event and sign the log book without registration? What kind of activities will be there?

Just like similar large events, a registration is recommended. It allows you access to the entire event and all of the activities. ( I don't want to spoil anything, so will not reveal the details ) I can tell you it will be like no other event that has ever been planned before. The registration will include a grab bag of goodies, name tag, and allow you to customize your experience with a boxed lunch, catered dinner, Happy Hour!, collectible limited edition coins and an event t-shirt. And yes you can register at no cost, sign the log and not have any memories of the largest event to be held in Maine. The process is open and can be viewed using the link in the first post. I am registered and can't wait........

Thanks for the question Cano and please post others if you have them. Hope to see you ALL there.

Fins_Up
01-24-2012, 07:12 PM
I am signed up. How do I know if I am one of the first 500?

dufzor
01-25-2012, 08:24 PM
I'm going to sign up. If I can not get coverage to take care of my pets, may I donate my entry fee to someone who otherwise could not afford to attend? TY.

geoaware
01-27-2012, 07:39 AM
Yes - you can go into the registration system and change your registration details to another person.

dufzor
01-28-2012, 08:22 PM
Thank you very much!

Fins_Up
01-29-2012, 07:57 PM
I was talking about the mega event with someone today at KKs event and I brought up the commemorative coin. I said that I hoped I had made in the first 500 so I could get one of the commemorative coins. I signed up for the Fluorite level which comes with a coin. The person I spoke with indicated that they understood that if someone signed up later at a higher level they were given priority on the commemorative coins. Could someone give me more information on this? Is there any way to know if I will get one?

Ekidokai
01-29-2012, 08:21 PM
Since there is less than 300 signed up so far, I think you might be in the first 500 to register.

Fins_Up
01-29-2012, 09:57 PM
Thanks Eki. Missed you at the event today. How can you tell how many are signed up?

Ekidokai
01-30-2012, 12:09 AM
I looked at the event page. There it shows how many have indicated they will attend.

Not a direct correlation, but there is enough of a margin that you should not be worried. Especially since the first ones are going to Mainers and there are not 500 Maine cachers.

Haffy
01-30-2012, 10:41 AM
I looked at the event page. There it shows how many have indicated they will attend.

Not a direct correlation, but there is enough of a margin that you should not be worried. Especially since the first ones are going to Mainers and there are not 500 Maine cachers.

Really? I would have thought there would be 500 cachers in Maine. What does everyone else think,are there 500 Maine cachers?

anniebananie
01-30-2012, 10:58 AM
It would be nice if some consideration could be given to those who actively both place and retrieve caches in Maine with a "foreign" address. Of our 5449 finds 1507 are in Maine. Will be there regardless.

Anniebananie

Ekidokai
01-30-2012, 06:40 PM
It would be nice if some consideration could be given to those who actively both place and retrieve caches in Maine with a "foreign" address. Of our 5449 finds 1507 are in Maine. Will be there regardless.

Anniebananie

You could move. You probably like it here better anyway.

Sabby
01-30-2012, 09:34 PM

From Brdad's statistics

Number of cache hiders who hid their first Maine cache by year:
2001 - 35 cache hiders hid their first Maine cache.
2002 - 114 cache hiders hid their first Maine cache.
2003 - 105 cache hiders hid their first Maine cache.
2004 - 109 cache hiders hid their first Maine cache.
2005 - 124 cache hiders hid their first Maine cache.
2006 - 199 cache hiders hid their first Maine cache.
2007 - 150 cache hiders hid their first Maine cache.
2008 - 174 cache hiders hid their first Maine cache.
2009 - 186 cache hiders hid their first Maine cache.
2010 - 248 cache hiders hid their first Maine cache.
2011 - 185 cache hiders hid their first Maine cache.
2012 - 4 cache hiders hid their first Maine cache

That would mean 1633 cachers hid their first cache. Assuming that 90% are Mainers and 75% of those are still active then that would mean about 1100 are still active and have hidden a cache. If we then add 600 to it for cachers that have not hidden a cache it means there may be about 1700 Maine cachers.

firefighterjake
01-31-2012, 08:33 AM

Anniebananie

Works for me . . . simply because Maine used to be part of Massachusetts . . . and some parts of Maine even today feel and look a lot like Massachusetts. :)

Ekidokai
01-31-2012, 12:38 PM
From Brdad's statistics

Number of cache hiders who hid their first Maine cache by year:
2001 - 35 cache hiders hid their first Maine cache.
2002 - 114 cache hiders hid their first Maine cache.
2003 - 105 cache hiders hid their first Maine cache.
2004 - 109 cache hiders hid their first Maine cache.
2005 - 124 cache hiders hid their first Maine cache.
2006 - 199 cache hiders hid their first Maine cache.
2007 - 150 cache hiders hid their first Maine cache.
2008 - 174 cache hiders hid their first Maine cache.
2009 - 186 cache hiders hid their first Maine cache.
2010 - 248 cache hiders hid their first Maine cache.
2011 - 185 cache hiders hid their first Maine cache.
2012 - 4 cache hiders hid their first Maine cache

That would mean 1633 cachers hid their first cache. Assuming that 90% are Mainers and 75% of those are still active then that would mean about 1100 are still active and have hidden a cache. If we then add 600 to it for cachers that have not hidden a cache it means there may be about 1700 Maine cachers.

I don't believe any of that. First thing I was trying to alleviate the anxiety that fins up was having, and I was speaking off the cuff.

Statistics and realaity... just like most things in life the information is what it is.

In my experience most people that start out caching no longer do. The seems to be a threshold at about 75 to 100 found. Many start and find a few, put out a few and then disappear. I am confident that a large portion of the cachers from 2001 are no longer active. A lot of the caches from then are gone too, and so on, and so on. So 75% is a big stretch. even 50% would be hard to believe. I can name 15 just off the top of my head that have disappeared in the last couple years in this area. I think 25% to 35% is more realistic. and that brings us back to about 500.

Out of those that are caching, how many are into the trackables enough to go through the hassle to get a coin. Sign up months ahead of time and lay out the money so far ahead. Not many.

Looking at the event page and seeing how many Mainers have signed up so far proves my figuring. Then again some will not want to go to an event of any kind.

I stand by 500 cachers is about good for Maine.

And Brdad just makes those things up.

Fins_Up
01-31-2012, 01:24 PM
I don't know if it was anxiety as much as me not wanting to drop $55 and end up with the same coin someone could get for $10. I know I get other stuff too but my main reason for choosing the level I chose was to get the commemorative coin. That being said I think I probably made it in the first 500 and I am sure that the event is going to be well worth the $55 anyway.

As for the number of active cachers.....I think it is somewhere between Eki's and Sabby's numbers :)

ampmdp
02-02-2012, 10:10 PM
I just tried the link to register and it brought me to the registration page, but won't let me sign up. Does anyone know if there's another way to register?

Ekidokai
02-03-2012, 01:31 PM
I just tried the link to register and it brought me to the registration page, but won't let me sign up. Does anyone know if there's another way to register?

I just tried it and it worked for me. It is just set up for Mainers at this time. Are you a true Mainer? I was born in Calais but was brought up in Connecticut so I may not be considered a true Mainer. Like my grandfather would say...Just because the cat has kittens in the over doesn't make them biscuits so clean that butter off them!

dufzor
02-04-2012, 07:16 PM

Same problem here...and yep, I am a 'true' Mainer.

brdad
02-04-2012, 07:46 PM
The registration process should not have anything to do with where you are physically located. I was in Iowa when I registered. If you can explain precisely where the registration will not proceed further for you, perhaps Gary can help.

dufzor
02-04-2012, 11:44 PM
Got help from Gary. I'm in. :)

ampmdp
02-05-2012, 06:59 PM
I guess it's working fine now...team ampmdp is registered! Hope there are still some commemorative coins left! And no, I'm not a "true" Mainer...born in Vermont, grew up in New York (even worse..."Lawng" Island!!!), lived in Florida for a year before finally moving to the greatest state of them all!

Ekidokai
02-06-2012, 01:25 PM
lived in Florida for a year before finally moving to the greatest state of them all!

Because of this statement and you being so cute we will let you stay.

Mapachi
08-21-2012, 08:30 AM
Out of touch ..... out of the loop. I didn't know about this registration thing until this past Sunday and forgot about it yesterday! So I go to register this morning to find it's closed to registration! (A similar thing happened to me with YODA ...R.I.P) It appears I can register on site and pay $20 to sign the log and attend. Is this right?

cano
08-21-2012, 11:35 AM
Out of touch ..... out of the loop. I didn't know about this registration thing until this past Sunday and forgot about it yesterday! So I go to register this morning to find it's closed to registration! (A similar thing happened to me with YODA ...R.I.P) It appears I can register on site and pay $20 to sign the log and attend. Is this right?

From what I heard you don't need to register to attend and sign the log, anyway there is another mega event next door in Fredericton next year http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?wp=GC3QME4 if you miss this one.