View Full Version : Rabies

Ekidokai
02-03-2012, 01:37 PM
Why are there so many animals chasing me through the woods with rabies?

JustKev
02-03-2012, 07:07 PM
All kidding aside, I just saw an article that says there's been a spike in rabies cases in Maine due to the milder winter. Watch yourselves out there.

Ekidokai
02-03-2012, 11:51 PM
I should have known you would have something to do with it.

LaughingTerry
02-05-2012, 03:25 PM
Rabies are becoming more prevalent everywhere. We are seeing more rabies cases every year. If you are bitten by a wild animal or a strange acting animal do not delay because by the time you start showing symptoms of rabies it is too late. By that time the damage to your system is so bad you are going to die, period. Since I am an Animal Control Officer I have had to do research on rabies and it is not a pretty thing. The good news is that there are so few rabies bites to people in America. Other countries are not as lucky, or careful.

brdad
02-05-2012, 04:07 PM
I knew this was coming so I started preparing years ago. I now have a good list of people I'm going to bite should I get it.

farmer and wife and "G"
02-05-2012, 07:38 PM
Now THAT is funny!!

fins2right
02-13-2012, 09:20 PM
I just assumed that it was the "Meat Suit" you were wearing at the time.......1075

Mapachi
02-17-2012, 11:50 AM
RABIES

Rabies is a deadly virus spread to people from the saliva of infected animals. The rabies virus is usually transmitted through a bite.

Animals most likely to transmit rabies in the United States include bats, coyotes, foxes, raccoons and skunks. In developing countries of Africa and Southeast Asia, stray dogs are the most likely to spread rabies to people.

Once a person begins showing signs and symptoms of rabies, the disease is nearly always fatal. For that reason, vaccines to stop the rabies virus from infecting the body are given to anyone who may have a risk of contracting rabies.

Symptoms
Rabies doesn't cause any signs or symptoms until late in the disease, often just days before death. Signs and symptoms may include:

Fever
Headache
Agitation
Anxiety
Confusion
Difficulty swallowing
Excessive salivation
Fear of water (hydrophobia) because of the difficulty in swallowing
Hallucinations
Insomnia
Partial paralysis
When to see a doctor
Seek immediate medical care if you're bitten by any animal. Based on your injuries and situation in which the bite occurred, you and your doctor can decide whether you should receive treatment to prevent rabies.

If you aren't sure whether you've been bitten, seek medical attention. For instance, a bat that flies into your room while you're sleeping may bite you without awaking you. If you awake to find a bat in your room, assume you've been bitten. Also if you find a bat near a person who can't report a bite, such as a small child or disabled person, assume that person has been bitten.

Causes
Rabies infection is caused by the rabies virus. The virus is spread through the saliva of infected animals. Infected animals can spread the virus by biting another animal or person. In rare cases, rabies can be spread when infected saliva gets into an open wound or the mucous membranes, such as the mouth or eyes. This could occur if an infected animal were to lick an open cut on your skin.