View Full Version : RE: Car GPSr

firefighterjake
02-25-2012, 04:13 PM
Going to Alaska this Summer . . . what's a decent make and model car GPSr that would allow me to input coords or download points of interest for caches . . . with good maps.

brdad
02-25-2012, 05:14 PM
We love our Nuvi. There is a GSAK macro to easily upload caches as POIs, including the child waypoints like parking areas. A 2MB memory card will easily hold many more caches than you ever could do. The newer Nuvis often have "lifetime maps" so you can upgrade to newer maps for free, make sure you get that.Tiger Direct often has good deals on them.

sheeplady
04-29-2012, 05:39 PM
Which Nuvi is the best? We had the Nuvi 1450 and I am having trouble getting the computer to recognize the unit when I try to download anything.

tat
04-30-2012, 06:28 AM
Be sure to ask about the Canadian maps!

CARoperPhotography
05-01-2012, 12:00 AM
Your Laptop, with Street Atlas software, and a LT-40 GPS hooked up to it!!!! Yes, I'm serious.... ok.... My Nuvi is a bit more practical. I think mine is a 1350? Or a 1450. Don't remember. I could care less about what it is. I never take it out of the Jeep. I don't load caches on it. Purely for street navigation or to get me to parking cords. But seriously you should see my laptop set up. It is the ultimate car GPS :-)

WhereRWe?
05-08-2012, 04:12 PM
Sheesh! Just noticed this thread!

We're going across the country this summer as well, and we got a Nuvi 2595 for the trip.

On trips so far this year (Montreal, Connecticut, Maine coast) we've been extremely pleased with it. As well as for navigation, we've used it to find restaurants and hotels, and it has gotten us there quite nicely.