View Full Version : Going to be in Rockwood from 5/13 - 5/19 with an ATV

Son Of A Beach
03-04-2012, 08:34 AM
I'm from central MA but I will be up in Rockwood from May 13 - May 19 with an ATV looking to do some caching and meet up with some locals who may want to join me. Perhaps I can schedule an event nearby and anyone interested can join us afterwards.

Also, my ATV is already registered in ME but are there any other special rules I should know about?

brdad
03-04-2012, 09:06 AM
Moose have the right of way. :)

If the timing is right, I'd do an event or just meet up possibly (it's not all about the smileys), can't do the ATV.

Hiram357
03-04-2012, 01:42 PM
Here's http://www.atvmaine.org/ the state site, you should be able to find all the information you want about ATVing in Maine here.

An event would be a good idea if you want to meet cachers up there, post an event and they will come. We usually have an ATV event up in the county during the fall and it's usually a pretty good turnout, quite a few caches can be found on ATV. :D

Ekidokai
03-04-2012, 03:36 PM
The one rule everyone forgets about is when on an ATV in Northern Maine you must have Moxie with you.

firefighterjake
03-04-2012, 06:43 PM
Just make sure you are on an ATV trail . . . they are marked as ATV trails.

Son Of A Beach
03-11-2012, 11:42 AM
I've never used an ATV in Maine before. There are quite a few ATV trails down here in MA that require a special permit. They do this to limit the number of ATV's that use the trails each year.

firefighterjake
03-12-2012, 08:58 AM
No special permits needed here in most areas (there are a few trails way up in The County (northern Maine) where the landowners (large papermills) own the land and require you join one of several area clubs and have a sticker and technically down on the blueberry barrens of Cherryfield you are supposed to get a free sticker) . . . but in most places as long as you are registered and have a registration sticker on your ATV you are good to go as long as you stay on the ATV approved trails.

You may also want to check to see if the trails are open then . . . or if they are closed due to Mud Season. ATV clubs open up the trails whenever they feel conditions are right . . . most seem to open around May 1-May 15 . . . but I suspect with the lack of snow in many places the trails may open earlier this year.

Son Of A Beach
04-30-2012, 12:27 PM
I wanted to schedule an event, but Since I am not from the area, I dont know a good venue nearby. I will arrive early afternoon on the 13th and leave early afternoon on the 19th. Even though I'm staying in Rockwood, I'm open to traveling short distances to meet up with anyone who cares to go fishing, caching, ATVing or any combination thereof. My email is MassGeocacher at gmail dot com.

Son Of A Beach
02-06-2013, 07:48 AM
Coming up again this year the week of May 19. Any takers?