View Full Version : Geocaching in England. Question about GPS...

ampmdp
12-20-2012, 06:38 PM
We're going to England for a wedding in a week. It's our first time abroad, so of course we want to get a few caches! I use the Garmin 60csx and use the City Navigator North America software. I found the City Navigator UK/Ireland card on Amazon for $23 bucks! I switched it out and it works great.

So my question is this: when I download cache info to my gps, does it go into a different memory area of the unit than the map software? It does, right?

So whether I've got the US or UK mapping software in the unit, I can still download cache info for caches anywhere and that info will stay in the unit even when I'm switching out the mapping software. Right? :confused:

Thanks!

Mainiac1957
12-21-2012, 06:24 AM
If you put the maps on the SD card then that may be true. Most likely on the 60 the caches will be on the internal memory. I had a Map60 at one time, but most all GPS units work the same way. You CAN put caches on the card, but as I said they will likely be on internal unless you specify.

brdad
12-21-2012, 08:59 AM
Either way I would think the files would remain separate, so there should be no danger of losing your caches when changing maps. I don't go on any long distance trip without having at least one backup of my caches anyway - usually have GSAK with all the caches on it in the laptop, and a GSAK backup file on one of my camera cards or the card in the nuvi. That way, if the Laptop or my GPS or both break, I can get new and reload GSAK and the GPSR.