View Full Version : Another new GC.com feature

Haffy
07-28-2005, 06:19 PM
Just read in the forums of another new GC.com feature that is available to premium members.If you go to the cache page and go to your account and click on the top of the page, premium member features, they are trying out a new beta instant notification feature. That's for all of us cachers who like to be FTF....lol. Just fill out the info and when a new cache pops up,your email account that you signed up with will be notified of the new cache in the area that you filled out. Kind of cool I thought. Just another advantage of being a premium member. For 30 bux a year not bad for all that it (GC.com) provides,but that is just my opinion. Check it out!!! :D

Cache'n Jacksons
07-28-2005, 06:37 PM
NICE!! Thanks for pointing this out... my thinking is that they've had this under wraps for years so that super premium members can get all the FTF's! :)

Trezurs*-R-*Fun
07-28-2005, 07:39 PM
If you go to the cache page and go to your account and click on the top of the page, premium member features, they are trying out a new beta instant notification feature. That's for all of us cachers who like to be FTF....lol.

OK, but it will only notify for a certain type of cache. Is there a way around that?

becket
07-28-2005, 08:03 PM
lol you'll still beat me to all the caches, haffy! i live way too far way from everything!

Sudonim
07-28-2005, 08:03 PM
Haffy, did you lobby GC for this feature? :p :p

Haffy
07-28-2005, 08:24 PM
OK, but it will only notify for a certain type of cache. Is there a way around that?

You have to do a separate one for each,remember this is beta so it's still in it's infancy.

Haffy
07-28-2005, 08:27 PM
Haffy, did you lobby GC for this feature? :p :p

No but I should have I guess huh?....lol. Besides YOP is still the king of FTF's :D

brdad
07-28-2005, 08:38 PM
I knew this feature was coming, but it was expected what feels like 10 years ago so I had forgotten it. It does stink you can't select multiple cache types.

Until the last major upgrade, about 8 months ago, there was a cacher who had a service which emailed you with all new caches. It wasn't flawless, but worked well until gc.com shut him down because it was leaching their resources.

So, it's good to see gc.com adapts to what people are asking for, though I look often to see what is out there anyway!

Haffy
07-28-2005, 08:52 PM
The one thing that I am waiting for and a lot of other people too is being able to get a pocket query of caches along at route. There is a way to do it with using GSAK and arcs and poly lines and such but it is asking too much of me to figure that part out...:)

WhereRWe?
07-28-2005, 08:58 PM
The one thing that I am waiting for and a lot of other people too is being able to get a pocket query of caches along at route. There is a way to do it with using GSAK and arcs and poly lines and such but it is asking too much of me to figure that part out...:)

Seems to me that Mainiac1957 told me that you could do that with the Garmin GPSMap 60-series. Or maybe I just imagined it. SPEAK UP, BRAD!!!

Would be a GREAT resource, though.

:D

Sabby
07-28-2005, 10:08 PM
Hey Haffy, I am sure you can do it in GSAK. Just enter the coordinates of several points into the GSAK arc data area, select a distance, and run the search. Try it for 2 points first to get the hang of it. I use it to find caches along the route I plan to take when traveling fron NY to ME. Using about 6 points and a 10 mile distance it gives good results.

attroll
07-29-2005, 12:14 AM
Why do you need them to do that when you can do it with your palm now. I do it with my Palm all the time.

brdad
07-29-2005, 05:30 AM
Why do you need them to do that when you can do it with your palm now. I do it with my Palm all the time.

Oh, I see a joke there, but let's keep this is a PG site....

Though I have little desire for caches on a route (I make my routes adjust to the caches!), the advantage would be that if someone takes the same route a lot of times, the GPX file would be updated automatically with just those new caches.

The G Team
07-29-2005, 06:30 AM
Here is a link with several different ways to find all caches along a route--I've had good luck with MS Streets and Trips. You can also use it to plan a route and get driving directions to specific caches (like Battleship).

http://members.aol.com/marklent60544/myhomepage/Geocaching/route.htm

Haffy
07-29-2005, 08:29 AM
Yeah Mike I have read all through that thread before and I was hoping fpr something a little more(stupid user) friendly,that's me. And Rick how is that done using the Palm? Remembering I am not very tech savvy now so take it one step at a time. Thanks

attroll
07-29-2005, 01:27 PM
Rick how is that done using the Palm? Remembering I am not very tech savvy now so take it one step at a time. Thanks
Yes we are going to have to actually sit in from of a computer sometime together and go through these steps. At the events there are always computers there but we never end up showing each other because we are to busy socalizing.