View Full Version : Journalist Looking for Help

greenwing1
08-16-2005, 04:28 PM
Hello:
My name is Dave Sherwood; I'm the outdoors writer for the Kennebec Journal and Morning Sentinel. I'm working on a feature article on geocaching in Maine for the weekend paper, and would love to talk with a couple of Maine geocaching fanatics...
If anyone is willing to help, please send an email, or feel free to call me at work 621-5648, or at home 666-8504.
Thanks
Dave Sherwood

WhereRWe?
08-16-2005, 06:39 PM
I emailed Dave and invited him to the event this weekend. Since he's an "outdoorsman", he may even want to go along on the kayak trip.

I thought that since I did such a good job of pointing the TV people towards BRDAD and the BDN writer towards Mainiac1957 at the Brewer CITO event, I thought I'd stick my fingers into the pie again.

I didn't mention any names, but..... :cool: :cool: :cool:

Mainiac1957
08-16-2005, 06:46 PM
Show up this weekend as Bruce said or... Show up at my event in Hampden on Sept. 10 (Dorothy Dix Park 11:00am) I would be gald to talk to you. And I KNOW Haffy could be talked into an interview as well. Even though he is quite shy. :eek:

WhereRWe?
08-16-2005, 07:30 PM
Show up this weekend as Bruce said or... Show up at my event in Hampden on Sept. 10 (Dorothy Dix Park 11:00am) I would be gald to talk to you. And I KNOW Haffy could be talked into an interview as well. Even though he is quite shy. :eek:

Well, Dave called me almost as soon as I sent my email. He can't make the event this weekend as his article will appear in this Saturday's KJ and Sentinel.

He asked for names of other people he could interview, and I actually gave him Haffy's name! LOL! (Sheesh! Haffy's a nce guy - time he had his 15 column inches of fame...) LOL! :eek:

He also asked about some "special" Maine caches, and I had to mention "Old 470" and "You Sank my Battleship".

He did state that he would try and attend an event in the future - he sounds really interested in geocaching.

Haffy
08-16-2005, 08:29 PM
Just got done reading about his request and I emailed him. So we'll see what happens. I am off on a caching trip tomorrow with TrezursRfun to do Tumbledown Challenge and a couple of others in the area.

Yeehawma
08-16-2005, 10:18 PM
Will this article appear in an online version of the newspaper? I would like to read the article.

WhereRWe?
08-17-2005, 07:32 AM
Will this article appear in an online version of the newspaper? I would like to read the article.

It should be. If so, I'll post a link and email it to you in case you mis the posting.

firefighterjake
08-17-2005, 08:40 AM
And speaking of articles on geo-caching . . . my article should be out in another week or so (weekly paper). I'll let folks know if it goes on the on-line version.

WhereRWe?
08-17-2005, 09:08 AM
And speaking of articles on geo-caching . . . my article should be out in another week or so (weekly paper). I'll let folks know if it goes on the on-line version.

What paper is that? I don't believe it's been mentioned. ;) ;)

Forest_Nymph
08-17-2005, 09:26 AM
www.mainetoday.com (http://www.mainetoday.com) has articles from both Kennebec Journal and Morning Sentinel and hopefully greenwing1's feature will be listed there. :cool:

firefighterjake
08-17-2005, 01:20 PM
What paper is that? I don't believe it's been mentioned. ;) ;)
I don't think I mentioned it as a matter of fact. Village Soup Citizen . . . www.villagesoup.com (http://www.villagesoup.com) . . . I'll let everyone know if and when it goes on-line. Some of my stuff is posted on line and other stuff just ends up in the print version.

Nuffer
08-19-2005, 08:32 PM
I responded to Mr. Sherwood's request for assistance by telephoning and leaving a message for him at work. He didn't have the courtesy to call back. Too bad; I had a couple of names of "pros" to give him which might have added to the quality of his up-and-coming article.

Team2hunt
08-19-2005, 08:54 PM
I responded to Mr. Sherwood's request for assistance by telephoning and leaving a message for him at work. He didn't have the courtesy to call back. Too bad; I had a couple of names of "pros" to give him which might have added to the quality of his up-and-coming article.
Maybe he has caught the bug, and is out caching. hehehehe

attroll
08-19-2005, 09:27 PM
Yes I emailed him to and have not heard back yet.

WhereRWe?
08-20-2005, 07:11 AM

His article was probably already written when you called. In fact, it's the headline article on page D1 of today's Sentinel (should be in the KJ as well).

The author had already interview someone named Adam Cates of Solon (whom I don't know, and having recently been a Solon Selectman for 6 years, I know almost eveyone in town), and Cates is featured in the article.

RULOST2? and I are also mentioned, and although we've only found a few more than 500 caches, have cached in 4 states and 4 Canadian provinces, we probably know about caching enough to "add to the quality of his... article".

When I spoke to him the author also intended to interview Haffy6 (who, sadly, has only about 400 caches to his credit, so I'm not sure if he could have "added to the wquality of the ... article), but I don't know if the author made contact with him.

Read the article. I think it's a good one, regardless of the absence of the views of "pros" in the article.

(I've checked today's"Online Sentinel", and the article isn't online as far as I can tell. Maybe it will show up on MaineToday.com - I don't see it there either)

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

lost hiker man
08-21-2005, 10:07 PM
I had only found 70 when I contacted a newspaper journalist as a result of a travel bug I had found. A nice story about my geocaching treks was featured as the lead story in the Lewiston Sun Journal. I guess since I hadn't found too many at the time, maybe it is the quality of the story and who it is about and not how many you've found.:) :) :)

greenwing1
08-21-2005, 10:13 PM
Hello-
It's Dave Sherwood again; from the Kennebec Journal. The article was complete on Tuesday of last week (we typically work 5-7 days in advance). I was away for the long weekend and am just returning home and checking my email now.
I do have a number of messages from people on this website, but was only able to speak with Bruce Hills, as he replied within the hour. Thanks to everyone for the great response, though.
The article was intended to be an introduction for non-cachers. Adam Cates does not claim to be an expert geocacher, just a guide (actually from Embden, though his guide service is listed in Solon) who instructs people in the use of GPS and map and compass. He was very helpful and I recommend his services to anyone.
Thanks again for the help, and I hope you will all keep me in mind for future, more in-depth articles on geocaching. Feel free to email anytime at dsherwood@centralmaine.com.
Dave Sherwood

Haffy
08-21-2005, 10:25 PM
It's too bad you couldn't have just posted a few questions on this site and you would have gotten more than enough info. Can you get someone down at the paper to put the article online for those who don't get the Sentinel or the KJ? That would be a great service.

WhereRWe?
08-22-2005, 06:01 AM
Ironically, RULOST2? and I came out of WalMart in Eastport yesterday (Sunday) to find a note on the car from a reporter from the Ellsworth American who had noticed our GOCACHE plate and wanted to talk to us as she was writing an article on geocaching for her paper! LOL!

And speaking of the article in the Sentinel/KJ, did anyone who reqad the article notice that the reporter listed the TB number when talking about the TB. Sheesh! He should have had a geocacher proof the article for technical/ettiquette errors before publication! LOL!

:eek: :eek:

Geochicks
08-22-2005, 06:31 AM
And speaking of the article in the Sentinel/KJ, did anyone who reqad the article notice that the reporter listed the TB number when talking about the TB. Sheesh! He should have had a geocacher proof the article for technical/ettiquette errors before publication!
Has the article already been in the KJ??? I haven't seen it yet? WHat day was it in?

WhereRWe?
08-22-2005, 02:54 PM
Has the article already been in the KJ??? I haven't seen it yet? WHat day was it in?

It should have been in the Saturday issue - same as the Sentinel. Don't know if it was or not. We just got back from the Kayak Kache event (Sheesh! What a party!!!) and are trying to get caught up... LOL!