View Full Version : RE: Noreasta and Bearfirefighter make the paper

firefighterjake
08-26-2005, 07:01 PM
My article came out in this week's paper -- Village Soup Citizen -- with photos of Noreasta and Bearfirefighter. Unfortunately due to space issues I had to keep things short and sweet and to the point and one of my sidebars (caches located in Waldo County -- a list of the towns and number of caches in each town) was deleted. I'm also not a big fan of the lay-out on one of the sidebars, but at least it's some good PR . . . I hope.

Now don't be too hard on me like you were on that poor reporter from the Sentinel, but I have been told that this weekend they hope to have the article and maybe the sidebar on-line . . . possibly with more photos. If they do I'll post the link or you can simply go to Villagesoup.com and click on the Waldo County issue . . . it will probably be under the "News" section.

Beach Comber
08-26-2005, 07:07 PM
Cool! I look forward to reading the article!

covefarm
08-27-2005, 09:50 AM
Hi There-I couldn't seem to find your article on the Village soup website, under Waldo, under news.............I looked at various other places like Sports and Outdoors but......can anyone help??? Thanks.

firefighterjake
08-27-2005, 11:42 AM
Hi There-I couldn't seem to find your article on the Village soup website, under Waldo, under news.............I looked at various other places like Sports and Outdoors but......can anyone help??? Thanks.
It's supposed to be up sometime this weekend (the operative word being "supposed") and is not up yet.

Beach Comber
08-28-2005, 09:43 AM
I was given a copy of the paper yesterday and able to see the article - great job!!!

Haffy
08-28-2005, 10:16 AM
Well,I've checked the online version of the Village Soup this morning and it still is not published as of yet. Am getting anxious to read the article.

noreasta
08-28-2005, 08:38 PM
Great job on the article, i have had many comments this weekend about it, it was very informative and helpfull to those considering the hobbie.... 5 Star in research and interest.....

Trezurs*-R-*Fun
08-29-2005, 07:33 AM
Great job on the article, i have had many comments this weekend about it, it was very informative and helpfull to those considering the hobbie.... 5 Star in research and interest.....
Is the online link available yet????

firefighterjake
08-29-2005, 08:32 AM
I was given a copy of the paper yesterday and able to see the article - great job!!!
Thanks . . . but the story pretty much wrote itself . . . it's easy when you've got two great people to interview.

firefighterjake
08-29-2005, 08:33 AM
Thank you Noreasta . . . it was a pleasure to meet you . . . now when are you going to go out and get some of my caches that I placed in Waldo County . . . one is only a few miles away from you!

firefighterjake
08-29-2005, 08:35 AM
Is the online link available yet????
I just e-mailed my editor and she said she tried to upload it but the scanned photo files were "contaminated" (funny I didn't know I was even sick) . . . so hopefully today they'll be up. If I notice it go up I'll give everyone a heads-up -- so far sounds like most of you folks like it.

firefighterjake
08-29-2005, 09:16 AM
In the meantime until the story is posted you can read by bi-weekly humor column . . .

http://www.villagesoup.com/Community/story.cfm?storyID=59544

Haffy
08-29-2005, 03:20 PM
Just got done reading the article about your cats and I busted a gut ...lol. I too have a cat, his name is Tuffy and I can sympathize with you about your one cat, the Kamikaze type, as mine does that same thing in the early morning as well. You have a great way with words and look forward to reading more of your work. Thanks Haffy6

Haffy
08-29-2005, 03:24 PM
You have a whole website anxiously awaiting the posting of the online story about geocaching. I just checked it and it still is not posted. I hope it is soon.

firefighterjake
08-29-2005, 03:51 PM
You have a whole website anxiously awaiting the posting of the online story about geocaching. I just checked it and it still is not posted. I hope it is soon.
You and me both buddy . . . I just sent another e-mail once again asking about publishing it on-line . . . I hate to promise something and not deliver. This happened before with an article I did on ATVing . . . sent out word via BBS and then nothing . . . felt a bit foolish until they finally put something up.

WhereRWe?
08-29-2005, 04:40 PM

Sheesh! I don't know if ANYBODY is waiting, but I wish I could find the recent Sentinel/KJ article online! LOL!

This is 2005! ALL newpaper articls should be available online! :confused:

Mainiac1957
08-29-2005, 05:28 PM
Promise all these cool caching articles and then they aren't available online.
Double Sheesh from me!! :p :p :p

Haffy
08-29-2005, 06:03 PM
I never did see the article in the Sentinel/KJ either. Can you maybe scan it Bruce and post it to the site? I wasn't able to see it when you brought it to the Kayak Kache event.

covefarm
08-29-2005, 07:32 PM
Are you sure you haven't been spying on OUR cat family. It is funny how cats can bring up the funniest memories. Thanks for the laugh.

Beach Comber
08-29-2005, 09:22 PM
I have the article and have scanned it and uploaded to the photo gallery. This is not ideal since it is all separate pages, but is the best I can do this evening. I will try to convert it to a PDF file and upload tomorrow for easier viewing. In the meantime, perhaps this will hold you over :D

Page 1
http://www.geocachingmaine.org/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/913/sort/1/cat/last1/page/1

Page 2
http://www.geocachingmaine.org/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/917/sort/1/cat/last1/page/1

Page 3
http://www.geocachingmaine.org/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/916/sort/1/cat/last1/page/1

Page 4
http://www.geocachingmaine.org/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/914/sort/1/cat/last1/page/1

Page 5
http://www.geocachingmaine.org/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/915/sort/1/cat/last1/page/1

Mainiac1957
08-29-2005, 10:09 PM
Nice to be able to read the mystery article. Thanks Judy.. and good job Jake. A nice spin on our hobby/obsession.

Haffy
08-29-2005, 10:18 PM
Hurray,finally got to read it. Thanks so much Judy for posting it for all of us. Excellent article Jason and keep up the good work. So now you have to continue with an article on the upcoming event in Hampden.

covefarm
08-30-2005, 01:42 AM
What a great introduction to geocaching. I think I will have a few copies to share with friends. A big thanks to Jake. The posting was great Judy thanks...................the cat stories did tide me over tho'.

WhereRWe?
08-30-2005, 06:41 AM
Yup, a good article. Comes across a lot better when it's a geocacher writing it rather than a geomuggle who is trying to report all that was explained to them! LOL! :D :D :D

I think I'll send Judy a copy of the Sentinel/KJ article and let HER post it! :p

firefighterjake
08-30-2005, 07:28 AM
Thanks for the words of support everybody . . . after the Sentinel reporter's article got blasted by some I was having my doubts. When the actual article appears on line I'll post the link . . . oftentimes they add more photos to the on-line version.

firefighterjake
08-30-2005, 07:28 AM
Hurray,finally got to read it. Thanks so much Judy for posting it for all of us. Excellent article Jason and keep up the good work. So now you have to continue with an article on the upcoming event in Hampden.
Hampden's a bit out of my territory since the Village Soup is a Waldo County newspaper.

Haffy
08-30-2005, 08:37 AM
I understand that but I was thinking maybe just an article about your first introduction to a real geocaching event and what goes on at one of them. Just a thought.

TwoMaineiacs
08-30-2005, 09:04 AM
Thanks for posting Beach Comber. Good to read an article that had the facts right!

Anne

Beach Comber
08-30-2005, 04:30 PM
Have been attempting to uplaoad the pdf file for easier viewing, but no luck yet. Rick is checking it out.

Bruce - feel free to send me the article from the Kennebec Journal and I will scan and upload as well.

Yeehawma
08-30-2005, 09:27 PM
Nice article. Thanks for sharing it!

Beach Comber
08-31-2005, 07:33 AM
Here is the pdf of the article............

firefighterjake
09-02-2005, 11:56 AM
OK, here's the scoop. I just got done talking with my editor and I explained to her that there are a whole lot of Maine geo-cachers who would really love to read the on-line version of the article on geo-caching as well as check out the additional photos that they typically run and she says that the article should be up sometime this weekend . . . I know this sounds familiar, but she said there was a problem in scanning the photos for some unknown reason.

WhereRWe?
09-02-2005, 12:36 PM
I know this sounds familiar, but she said there was a problem in scanning the photos for some unknown reason.

What???!!! You mean that SOMEONE is still using a film camera??? LOL!

:eek: :D :D

firefighterjake
09-02-2005, 08:41 PM
What???!!! You mean that SOMEONE is still using a film camera??? LOL!

:eek: :D :D
Yeah me . . . I'm a bit "old school" when it comes to photography . . . plus you can pick up a really good 35 mm and lens for a lot less than digital. For a long time digital cameras weren't taking very good photos either, but that's changed in a big way . . . it's just that I'm still not willing to part with the change when I have two perfectly good 35 mm cameras . . . and one that I need to fix some day.

firefighterjake
09-03-2005, 08:33 PM
And at long last as promised . . .

http://waldo.villagesoup.com/Sports/story.cfm?storyID=59628

http://waldo.villagesoup.com/Sports/story.cfm?storyID=59439

http://waldo.villagesoup.com/Sports/story.cfm?storyID=59437

http://waldo.villagesoup.com/Sports/story.cfm?storyID=59438

Unfortunately they only ran one other photo and it wasn't all that exciting of a photo . . . I thought I had a really good one of Bearfirefighter with the backdrop of the Knox Hills which they opted to not use.

In any case, I like the format of these articles better as they didn't scrunch up the text to make it difficult to read (i.e. the lingo.) They also included a short sidebar on the number of caches in Waldo County which didn't run in the print version. While the PDF versions are nice in a pinch, these should be easier on the eyes to read.

Incidentally, Noreasta and Bearfirefighter when I get the photos back I'll make sure you get some . . . or maybe I'll just be evil and post them here! :) Thanks again for agreeing to the interview.