View Full Version : New Orleans

J_Cyr
08-29-2005, 07:21 PM
I hope everyones families/friends down there and thier properties are still ok.

Hope everyone has a full tank as well as of tonight, because tomorrow gas prices will be on the rise due to this.

WhereRWe?
08-30-2005, 06:54 AM
Don't think anyone is going to be geocaching in that area for a while...

:eek: :eek:

J_Cyr
08-30-2005, 01:13 PM
Maybe... with a snorkel

WhereRWe?
08-30-2005, 06:06 PM
I don't normally watch TV news, but I spent an hour or so watching the unbelievable situation in Louisiana/Mississipi/Florida. I'm a tightwad, but what I saw impelled me to make a donation to the Red Cross.

I hope as many of you as can will donate to help these people.

Here is a link to several national charities:

http://wsbradio.com/MARKET/shared/info/katrinarelief.html

Thanks. Show them what Mainers can do. We're lucky that we don't often have serious weather problems.

Bruce

TwoMaineiacs
08-30-2005, 06:19 PM
We were scheduled for our regular blood donation visit tomorrow anyway. We give as often as the rules allow just as a community effort on our part. Bet there will be some extra donors there this week.

Unbelievable destruction as shown on CNN. One of the places Joe served in the Coast Guard was in Bay Saint Louis, Mississippi. Looks like it is basically gone! He's been thinking about all the Coast Guardsmen on the Gulf Strike team (which he did) who will have to go in on the toxic and chemical spills afterwards.

Our disasters up here in Maine usually melt if you can just wait long enough. The destruction down south is unreal.

I've often wondered how well I'd do caching down south. I'd be hesitating big time sticking my hands down holes - in which there could be snakes.

Anne

Yeehawma
08-30-2005, 09:12 PM
We are still recovering from last year's triple hits from hurricanes Charley, Frances and Jeanne. There is still a lot of blue roofs, destroyed homes and docks, and fallen trees. The severity of the damage here in central Florida was shocking because we are so far inland. I've lived here for 20 years and had never seen anything like it. For several days now I have been hearing people talking about how fortunate we are to have escaped the path of Katrina. And yes, I agree with them but have a feeling of guilt as I think about those who were in Katrina's path. I cannot imagine the devastation in New Orleans. I know it is much worse than what we are seeing on TV. The people there will be needing help for a long time.

lefty
08-30-2005, 09:20 PM
The shipyard in Miss. has major damage to some of the ships out there. I have heard of ships sunk at the peir to other with major damage including maine engine rooms flooded. I will post something when a statement is official. God bless them all I hope there are no more casualties.

WhereRWe?
08-31-2005, 08:51 AM
The shipyard in Miss. has major damage to some of the ships out there. I have heard of ships sunk at the peir to other with major damage including maine engine rooms flooded. I will post something when a statement is official. God bless them all I hope there are no more casualties.

Another reason Bath Iron Works is a real asset to Maine. :)

Now just think of all those assets from BNAS that are going to Pensacola, Florida

Sheesh!