View Full Version : How Much is Gas Where You LIve?

WhereRWe?
09-01-2005, 07:36 AM
This site will tell you the bad news:

http://www.mainegasprices.com/index.aspx

I went to Waterville yesterday - a 30-somthing mile trip. When I went through Skowhegan, the price at the Irving I usually strop at was $2.82, up from $2.57 on Monday. On the way back - 1 1/2 hours later - they were raising the price from $2.99 to $3.17! Sheesh!

This is gonna put a clamp on geocaching! :( :( :(

firefighterjake
09-01-2005, 07:43 AM
This is gonna put a clamp on geocaching! :( :( :(
You're not kidding . . . although I do have an econo-beater car . . . only needs to have a new tire put on it . . . just means no driving up rough roads like the one to Frankfort Quarry, going in the back way and such.

$3.99 as of yesterday evening . . . I was "lucky" since I commented about the price of gas being $3.64 on Tuesday and the cashier told me the price had already gone up 20 cents in Waterville and they were expecting the price to get close to or break the $3 mark. Went home and brought back the 4Runner and some gas cans and filled them up and then returned with the beater car riding on a half flat donut and filled that one up.

Seems to me that it's time folks did some letter writing and complaining to their U.S. Senators and Reps . . . not that it will make much of a difference . . . but these prices are crazy. Gonna be an expensive winter with heating oil prices so high and an expensive commute for me going back and forth to work . . . I might be better off not working, collecting unemployment checks and free hand-outs from the government!

Beach Comber
09-01-2005, 08:01 AM
$3.99?? Holy smokes!! Last weekend when I was more toward your part of the state, gas was cheaper there than here in Portland. We are not at that point yet. Last night I saw it for $3.17 and the same gas station had it for $2.99 this morning. This will be a roller coaster ride a the pumps for sure.

TwoMaineiacs
09-01-2005, 08:41 AM
$2.89 to $3.17 at stations around Brunswick Naval Air Station yesterday. CNN showed miles long lines in Atlanta waiting for $10.00 worth of gas- at $5.99 a gallon!! Lots of SUVs would burn that much gas waiting to get your 1/1-2 gallons. Several governors have put in force anti-gouging laws.

Gas prices WILL change how we geocache. It won't stop it but caching will be combined with other trips rather than a trip of its own.

Anne

firefighterjake
09-01-2005, 09:54 AM
$3.99?? Holy smokes!! Last weekend when I was more toward your part of the state, gas was cheaper there than here in Portland. We are not at that point yet. Last night I saw it for $3.17 and the same gas station had it for $2.99 this morning. This will be a roller coaster ride a the pumps for sure.

Oops . . . I meant $2.99/gallon.

Starzz
09-01-2005, 11:52 AM
A friend went to get new tires put on his truck, in Lubec, decided to wait til after to get gas. When he drove by on his way to the garage it was $2.75 and an hour later it was $3.09 :eek::eek::eek:

blevesque
09-01-2005, 02:14 PM
I filled up on Tuesday morning here in Caribou with the price at $2.66. As I was pulling out of the station, they were changing the prices to $2.79.:eek: That was a close call!! Yesterday it was $2.99. This morning it was $3.19. Who knows what it will be when I get out of work...:(

Haffy
09-01-2005, 04:57 PM
We got burned this morning,stopped in a station where the gas was $3.25 a gallon and just up the road was $2.99, go figure.Last week the same station it was $2.52. The oil companys have us by the gonads don't they? Just get together with 3 or 4 other like geocachers and split the gas cost I guess. I know I won't stop caching,just the way I go about it now. Will be doing 8 or 10 and make a day of it instead of getting the FTF for one cache.

Trezurs*-R-*Fun
09-01-2005, 05:08 PM
How Much is Gas Where You LIve?

Too Much!!!!!!!!

laxreff
09-01-2005, 07:04 PM
Maybe we should give the oil companies another tax break so they can continue to "thank" us. Big problem is that our fine Congressmen and women have NO idea what the daily cost of living is for Joe Average. If I had lobbyists and influence peddlers paying all of my expenses I'd choose to live oblivious to what we are all facing. Maybe more people should adopt my personal credo: don't vote for incumbents. If you don't vote for them they don't get entrenched.
ASs for cachng, I'll stick to those close to home and use the econo-box.

Cache'n Jacksons
09-01-2005, 07:10 PM
... check out MaineGasPrices.com (http://www.mainegasprices.com/). Volunteers from around the state post their local gas prices so you can see where gas is cheap, and on what day. Now we just need to find a way to link to it from GSAK so we can find the cheapest gas near each geocache! :D

TwoMaineiacs
09-02-2005, 10:11 AM
Decided to go to the Windsor Fair yesterday as it is a good agricultural fair and has a lot of historic buildings to wander through. Combined it with a few caches up that way including "Old 470". That had been on our list for quite a while and it was worth the gas to get there. Fantastic hide.

Today we have to go down to Portland and near Westbrook so will combine it with several caches down there. Fortunately we still have maybe 100 caches within reasonable driving distance from home. I remember 25 years ago being in Ireland and in wonder of gasoline at $5.00 a gallon when it was probably less than a $1.00 here. Our turn has come.

Anne

WhereRWe?
09-02-2005, 10:57 AM
... check out MaineGasPrices.com (http://www.mainegasprices.com/). Volunteers from around the state post their local gas prices so you can see where gas is cheap, and on what day. Now we just need to find a way to link to it from GSAK so we can find the cheapest gas near each geocache! :D

Um... I think I posted this link already! LOL!

attroll
09-02-2005, 01:28 PM
So what does everyone predict gas prices will be by the end of the year.. I say between $4 and $5 a gallon at least.

Beach Comber
09-02-2005, 02:57 PM
No clue, but you can be sure that I will be putting gift certificates for gas on my Christmas wish list!!!

WhereRWe?
09-02-2005, 03:48 PM
One of the best defenses against high gas prices is to pay for it with a credit card that gives you cash back on gas purchases. I have an Irving card that gives back 3% on purchases at MainWay stations (that's more than 10 cents off per gallon at todays' prices), but there are other cards that give you up to 10% back.

:D :D :D

Trezurs*-R-*Fun
09-02-2005, 04:54 PM
Sheeesh,,,I just filled up my tank with regular gas and now look at my poor piggy bank!!!!

http://www.uninets.net/~maggie/piggybank%20(Small).jpg

Haffy
09-02-2005, 05:50 PM
LOL..........good one Steve!!!!! :):):)

Cache'n Jacksons
09-02-2005, 05:51 PM
Um... I think I posted this link already! LOL!
:o Oops!! That will teach me... I guess I should read first, scroll second! :o

J_Cyr
09-03-2005, 02:48 PM
$3.39 for 87 Octane....

covefarm
09-03-2005, 07:09 PM
We traveled to Readfield for my son's football game and pulled into a gas station nearly on empty (my husband was driving), anyway....they were out of regular. The guy said that they are being limited as to how much gas they can purchase and they sell that in 1 and 1/2 hours. So beware when you are traveling.

firefighterjake
09-03-2005, 08:25 PM
Is "too much" an answer? :)

robt
09-04-2005, 08:15 AM
I see where the Govenor is looking into price gouging by local stations, But my question is when is the Government going to look into the pricing practises of the big oil companies. The station owners are not doing anything that was not either taught to them or mandated by their masters. In my opinion it is them that are the ones that are raping the american people cause they found an excuse. But then that is just my opinion :)

WhereRWe?
09-04-2005, 08:40 AM
I see where the Govenor is looking into price gouging by local stations, But my question is when is the Government going to look into the pricing practises of the big oil companies. The station owners are not doing anything that was not either taught to them or mandated by their masters. In my opinion it is them that are the ones that are raping the american people cause they found an excuse. But then that is just my opinion :)

A Primer on Gas Prices (http://www.eia.doe.gov/pub/oil_gas/petroleum/analysis_publications/primer_on_gasoline_prices/html/petbro.html)

And more info... (http://tonto.eia.doe.gov/oog/info/gdu/gasdiesel.asp)

Trezurs*-R-*Fun
09-04-2005, 09:18 AM
Is "too much" an answer? :)

Huh? What color is the sky where you live? LOL

:D

parmachenee
09-04-2005, 08:55 PM
We went to Portland this weekend and geocached down and back. It was just eerie about the traffic...there was none. We felt like we were all alone...like in the Twilight Zone?? People were just not going anywhere. :( Prices for gas were pretty consistent in the Portland area $3.39 but in outlying areas you might find it a little lower. I managed to crawl back to Orrington with the empty warning light going off and filled up at $3.19. :D What a bargain!! :eek:

tat
09-04-2005, 09:27 PM
Met Pamachenee along the way! Gassed up in Falmouth @3.39. Wished I'd tanked up in Kittery, 3.19!!

Beach Comber
09-04-2005, 09:59 PM
Just got back to the mainland after being on one of the islands in Casco Bay - I didn't dare look at the gas prices as we were coursing our way from the boat back to the house! But I can tell that on the island the price of gas is $3.79 - eek!

Rpapaman
09-05-2005, 05:26 AM
Yes, I think we are all feeling the "crunch" of the rising price of gasoline. It has definitely curbed my geocaching treks with the price of '87 octane' being $3.39 per gallon here in the Calais area. Somehow, though, we will live through this! Take care all. Ron of Calais, ME (Rpapaman)

WhereRWe?
09-05-2005, 08:09 AM
Yes, I think we are all feeling the "crunch" of the rising price of gasoline. It has definitely curbed my geocaching treks with the price of '87 octane' being $3.39 per gallon here in the Calais area. Somehow, though, we will live through this! Take care all. Ron of Calais, ME (Rpapaman)

Actually, Ron, I think you're lucky! The gas prices in Calais are normally MUCH higher than the rest of the state. Now you're paying about the same as the rest of us! LOL! :D :D

Yeehawma
09-05-2005, 10:10 AM
Sounds like the gas situation in Maine is similar to the situation here in Florida. Prices and availability vary. It sure is raising the cost of my Maine vacation next month... especially with all the driving that I'll be doing. I'm still gonna take a day or two for geocaching and have only decided on 2 definintes so far. Planning is half the fun!

TwoMaineiacs
09-05-2005, 06:26 PM
Skipped filling up at BJ's yesterday at $3.25 just knowing that the "Stop 'n Go" in Durham is usually a few cents under that and it was on our way home. It was the same as BJ's **BUT** they were out of regular. Ended up with mid grade at $3.34. My sister down in Manassas, VA always ribs me about paying so much for gas. Normally she is usually 50-60 cents a gallon less. Today it was $3.39

Burned a bit of it off today down in Phippsburg caching. Couldn't stand to see the gorgeous weather and not get out in it.

Anne

WhereRWe?
09-06-2005, 07:25 AM
Well, this morning's news states that oil prices have returned to "pre-Katrina levels". Now lets see how fast that translates into price reductions at the pump.

Bet they won't be going down at the "hourly" rate they went up! :p :p

Beach Comber
09-06-2005, 11:22 AM
I bet your right!

TwoMaineiacs
09-06-2005, 07:54 PM
Amazingly we saw some lowering gas prices today. $3.19 in Yarmouth and in Lisbon Falls but still $3.33-$3.39 all over Brunswick and Topsham. We do all the chores in a great circle route.

Anne

covefarm
09-06-2005, 09:20 PM
I saw something I didn't think I would see....the price went down at the cheapest local fill up 3.18 down from 3.25. The Bar Harbor area is usu. 5 to 15 cents more than southern Maine..........in my 25 plus years of traveling back and forth.

Ye Olde Prospector
09-07-2005, 12:08 AM
I filled up in Saco today $3.15 so maybe prices are starting to come back down,hope so!!!

WhereRWe?
09-07-2005, 08:58 AM
I see that in the latest report (http://www.mainegasprices.com/index.aspx) that the lowest gas price in Maine is now in Ellsworth: $2.39.

Yup - looks like the prices are starting to come down - just in time for the event this weekend! LOL!

TwoMaineiacs
09-07-2005, 02:21 PM
Still $3.39 on Route 1 coming into Brunswick from the south but it is $2.99 on Route 196 over by Crooker.

Anne - coming back from gym

Team2hunt
09-07-2005, 07:02 PM
Have been in New Hampshire for tha past two days. In Manchester almost all have it at 2.99. North Hampton was 3.09 yesterday. I'm filling up before I go home.

Hiram357
09-07-2005, 10:06 PM
Gas is cheaper on the MASS Pike, I'm driving down there tomorrow to fill up to save some $$

firefighterjake
09-08-2005, 08:39 AM
I think one of my co-workers might be right . . . he predicted that the price would go up to $3 plus (he actually figured around $3.50) and then would slowly drop back to a little less than $3 and he said we would be happy to pay that price and promptly forget how only a year or so ago we were paying $1.60 or so for a gallon of gas.

Starzz
09-08-2005, 09:01 AM
I thought this was funny.

Sue

Bluegrass Gyrl
09-08-2005, 09:46 AM
I don't get it. The news says crude is now trading below $65 a barrel, which is pre-pre Katrina levels (didn't we tease $70 a barrel even before Katrina?). So...shouldn't gas be back to below $2.50!?!? I'm sure not seeing it!

Beach Comber
09-08-2005, 01:42 PM
I love the gas gauge picture!

I had been reading and hearing prior to the arrival of Katrina that there has been little to explain the increasing costs of gas in most recent months. Theories were beginning to develop that placed the blame on the consumer - "If we are willing to pay for it and the increasing cost doesn't slow us down, then there iss no apparent reason for the price of gas not to continue to rise." I'm not sure how accurate this statement is, but it warrants consideration. I'm not implying that we shold slow down, bur perhaps that we are being taken advantage of. Katrina was the first real reason I had heard for the prices rising. Even then, the refineries that were affected only produced 10% of the gas available. Though the area affected is a significant portal for importing into the country, again it is only a portion.

It is amazing to me how the price cannot be going down more quickly than what we are seeing.

WhereRWe?
09-08-2005, 02:55 PM
Well, according to the "gas primer" at the link I provided before, most gas in a region comes from the same refinery - regardless of brand. Which undoubtedly means that in central Maine, at least, it comes from the Irving refinery in St, John, NB via the distribution terminal at Searsport, ME.

So.....

Very little of Irving's oil comes from US sources. Much of it from Canadian sources, and the rest from overseas.

So.....

What does the high price of gas in central Maine have to do with the refineries on the gulf coast? None of our gas comes from there in the first place! :confused: :confused: :confused:

drbugman
09-08-2005, 08:28 PM
Down here in Maryland it's around $3.25 to around $3.45. :mad:

Bluegrass Gyrl
09-09-2005, 07:50 PM
Beachcomber brings up an interesting point. I used to poo-poo those mass emails encouraging people to not buy gas on a certain day. Now, I am beginning to think it should be considered/encouraged. Bill O'Reilly on Fox (whether you love 'im or hate 'im) has recommended not buying gas on Sundays...I for one am willing to do my part. Reduce demand....increases supply....prices go down. But my money is still on the fact we're getting gouged and getting gouged but GOOD. :mad:

Beach Comber
09-09-2005, 08:18 PM
ohhhhhh - Sunday? He must not know that the Mobil stations in the area reduce their prices by 7 whole cents on Sundays in our area. I think if they can do it on Sunday, they can do it the rest of the week.

Here is another glitch I ran into recently..........the marquee on the roadside and the sign on top of the pump said the same price and the little price dial on the pump itself said something else - maybe 6 cents higher. I didn't notice until I finished pumping. When I asked the attendant in the store how I could get the lower prices advertised, she said she couldn't do anything about it - they couldn't keep up with changing the prices on the marquee and the large pump sign and I would have to pay what was on the little pump dial. She said I should call Mobil and talk to them. I'll spare you the remainder of the comments that I made. Pooey on them! Instead, I decided to just buy my gas from some other company from now on. I've contributed a chunk of my money to their revenues over the last 18 months filling my gas tank many a time to travel the 30,000 miles that I have. Oh well - I'm sure Citgo, Irving, or someone else would be happy to take my money.

robt
09-10-2005, 01:14 PM
Bluegrass,

That is what I have been saying, The Oil companies are the ones that have used an excuse to raise prices so that they can make obscene profits at out expence. I have not been much on government regulation or controls on buisness but I am starting to think it is getting about time that something be done to control this. Fuel is not a luxery, it is a required for most of us to go to work, not to mention what this is doing to heating costs. Unchecked the price jumps are going to unfairly hurt the poor and edlerly that can not accord the high cost of heating oil this winter. When is Washington gone to wake up?

firefighterjake
09-11-2005, 07:48 PM
Well, according to the "gas primer" at the link I provided before, most gas in a region comes from the same refinery - regardless of brand. Which undoubtedly means that in central Maine, at least, it comes from the Irving refinery in St, John, NB via the distribution terminal at Searsport, ME.

So.....

Very little of Irving's oil comes from US sources. Much of it from Canadian sources, and the rest from overseas.

So.....

What does the high price of gas in central Maine have to do with the refineries on the gulf coast? None of our gas comes from there in the first place! :confused: :confused: :confused:

What you didn't hear about how the remnants of Katrina caused major (but very localized) destruction to the Searsport Terminal before suddenly leap-frogging north to the refinery in Canada where it once again caused major damage to the refinery? :)

robt
09-12-2005, 02:03 PM
What you didn't hear about how the remnants of Katrina caused major (but very localized) destruction to the Searsport Terminal before suddenly leap-frogging north to the refinery in Canada where it once again caused major damage to the refinery? :)
You really gotta love thoose freak localized class 5 huricanes that only affect small areas and then jump to another place. Did you forget to turn off the matter transporter? :)

firefighterjake
09-13-2005, 06:45 AM
You really gotta love thoose freak localized class 5 huricanes that only affect small areas and then jump to another place. Did you forget to turn off the matter transporter? :)
Aye Captain . . . I ca' only do one thing at a time and I figured gettin' the Celica beater car (which averages 35 mpg) was more important at the time than workin' on the transporter. :)

tat
09-13-2005, 12:48 PM
Just spoke with someone in London. Gas is roughly $8.00 per gallon, if we did the conversion right.

And, people are so upset, they are blockading the oil terminals. Maybe we should try this here in the US!

Beach Comber
09-13-2005, 04:33 PM
WOW!! That reminds of the prices I saw when in Armenia about 10 years ago - the gas for them was $10.00 (US) a gallon and was not much less than an entire months pay. It was understandable given that there was active war going on in Georgia and they couldn't rely on the countries along their other borders for assistance of any type - even access through the borders for importing. A tough situation for sure. So it made it easier to understand why the price of gas was so high. Here? I know there are a variety of explanations, but I still think it is a conspiracy - hehehehe

WhereRWe?
09-13-2005, 04:42 PM
Just spoke with someone in London. Gas is roughly $8.00 per gallon, if we did the conversion right.

Keep in mind that fuel taxes in Europe average 66% of the cost of gasoline, vs approximately 18% in the US. (I know what you're thinking, Bruce, but don't go there!!!)

And until 1956, gas taxes were just a couple of cents a gallon until the Highway Trust Fund was extablished to fund the Interstate Highway System.

:D :D :D

Cache Maine
09-13-2005, 10:39 PM
I paid 2.79 at Irving in Downtown Bangor tonight! Yea!

J_Cyr
09-13-2005, 11:49 PM
Went down to $2.89 today

WhereRWe?
11-01-2005, 06:49 PM
Wow!

Gas is now down to $2.15 at 3 stations in Maine at least. I didn't really need gas, but stopped at the Irving Mainway in Fairfield/Shawmut this afternoon just because it felt so good to pay $2.15! LOL!

Here's a link (http://www.mainegasprices.com/index.aspx) to Maine Gas Prices.

tat
11-01-2005, 06:51 PM
I filled up Friday and the price went down 10 cents over the weekend!

Yeehawma
11-01-2005, 07:03 PM
Wow!

Gas is now down to $2.15 at 3 stations in Maine at least. I didn't really need gas, but stopped at the Irving Mainway in Fairfield/Shawmut this afternoon just because it felt so good to pay $2.15! LOL!

Here's a link (http://www.mainegasprices.com/index.aspx) to Maine Gas Prices.

And I was feeling really good about paying $2.40 today.... Geez maybe I need to move back to Maine

WhereRWe?
11-01-2005, 08:24 PM
And I was feeling really good about paying $2.40 today.... Geez maybe I need to move back to Maine

Well, as I've said before, most of the gas in central Maine comes from Canada - the Irving Oil Co refinery in Saint John, New Brunswick. Maybe that makes a difference. Who knows??

But if you go here (http://www.floridastategasprices.com/), you'll see that you can do a lot better in some locations in Florida.

:D :D

Yeehawma
11-01-2005, 09:33 PM
Thanks for the link. Gotta keep checking that out. Unfortunately all the cheaper gas is a half day or more away and a tank of gas to get there:(
Sams is next door to my workplace and has the cheapest gas in Lakeland so I guess I gotta feel good about that.
I bought some of that Irving gas a few weeks ago but didn't get it for $2.15. I got really excited in NB when I saw the sign that said UNLEADED $1.19 - until I remembered that it was per liter. Been away so long I had almost forgotten. LOL

J_Cyr
11-01-2005, 11:53 PM
$2.42 up here, but thats nearly $1.00 less then it it was nearly 4 weeks ago...

TwoMaineiacs
11-02-2005, 04:53 PM
$2.29 today in Falmouth. Not the same as high school when we used to be able to ride around all weekend on a buck's worth of gas - and not I'm not gonna say how old I am!

Anne

Haffy
11-02-2005, 05:02 PM
$2.15 just down the road from my house at the former Truckers International now it's Pilot Travel Center.

DiverDave1998
11-02-2005, 07:00 PM
2.10 in Norridgewock

Haffy
11-02-2005, 07:05 PM
Must be the infamous Everett's you are referring to huh?

DiverDave1998
11-02-2005, 07:12 PM
yes yes it is god he does a great job keeping prices down.

WhereRWe?
11-02-2005, 07:14 PM
2.10 in Norridgewock

Lowest price in the state! (But I see a couple of other stations are down to $2.13). :D :D

J_Cyr
11-02-2005, 07:19 PM
$2.36 now... you guys are still paying $.20 less, but hey I am happy its dropping... Why do I always fill up the night BEFORE it drops?? hmm...

lost hiker man
11-05-2005, 08:38 PM
The prices in the Farmington/Wilton area are all $2.09 as of this afternoon and are dropping 10 cents every week.

WhereRWe?
11-06-2005, 07:36 AM
Wow! This (http://www.realbeer.com/news/articles/news-002736.php) might make me support Gasohol!

(Or another excuse to drink more beer! LOL!)

:eek: :eek: :eek:

EGSG
11-07-2005, 01:14 AM
While the weather is great here, it was 85 today. Our gas prices are a bit higher. We spent the day driving around the area, looking at houses, a bit of exploring, and a couple of caches - of course. The cheapest gas we saw was $2.24. And they make it down here?

123MAINE
12-23-2005, 08:59 AM
Here a post to make you feel better with your gasoline prices.

We live in Germany and have to drive some miles to go geocaching meanwhile. So a big factor is the price for gasoline to get there, and this is expensive in Germany:

At the moment we have to afford 1.25 Euro for 1 l gas. One gallon is 3.785 l, so the price for one gallon is 4.73 EURO.

The current course: 1 EURO = $ 1.1854

That means that we have to pay :eek: $ 5.61:eek: for a gallon.

Isnít that bad?:(